1L summer firm offered me - how to address at OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer firm offered me - how to address at OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:14 am

Just got done with 1L summer and received an offer from the firm to come aboard after graduation. However, I did not receive an offer for next summer. They said I should do something else to make sure their firm is what I really want. So I'm in the fortunate yet odd position of having an offer after graduation but needing to find something for next summer. The odd part in particular is how to address this at OCI.

I had some interviews prior to knowing I got the offer, so I know that "so, what came out of your summer with X Law Firm?" is a common question. (I also know that saying you're not sure or don't plan on going back gets some pretty bad reactions.)

My first instinct is to tell the truth without any spin: say that I received a tentative offer after graduation but that the firm encourages me to do something else for 2L summer. However, I'm guessing the follow-up will be probing into how likely I am to accept that offer, and if I insist on being honest, I'll have to admit that I am very likely to accept the offer. This would seem to make it unlikely to get a 2L summer job anywhere. What firm would want a 2L SA who is already "taken" after graduation?

I have the option of saying it went really well but that the firm doesn't bring back 1L associates for their 2L summers. I would make no mention of an offer of permanent employment. While this is all true, it is purposely leaving out information, plus it probably seems like I was no-offered / performed poorly.

I could say that the summer went very well and the firm indicated that there is a possibility of future employment. This is vague, but it might create an assumption, again, that I wasn't very good and the firm is uncertain or ambivalent about hiring me.

Another option is simply taking classes next summer, but if this offer falls through for any reason, I have all my eggs in one basket. This sounds like a horrible idea.

Advice?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer firm offered me - how to address at OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 am

This seems pretty simple.

1. Do a 2L summer with another firm.
2. Don't assume you won't decide you like it better than your 1L firm. Keep an open mind.
3. If you're asked what came out of your 1L summer, say you received an offer. If there's follow up, say that you had a great experience and would certainly consider going back to your 1L summer firm but that you want to use your 2L summer to explore another firm, and that your 1L summer firm encouraged you to do that.

The firms you're interviewing with will not be at all surprised by the foregoing and it will not hurt your chances of an offer.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 am

There is no reason to be vague. If you are, your interviewers might think you're lying and did poorly.

Just say yes I received an offer. Then remind them that 1Ls do not get to go through the OCI process and find the firm that fits them best. They already know this. They should not ask you if you plan to accept. I just had 26 interviews and I also had a 1L SA and offer for permanent employment. One or two firms asked if I would go back to my 1L firms "next summer." I told them no because my 1L firm does not allow 1Ls to spend their 2L summer there.

You're interviewing with people who have been lawyers for decades. Don't try to be vague or less than honest. They will probably detect that something is amiss and ding you.

"take classes next summer." That's silly!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 am

I have the option of saying it went really well but that the firm doesn't bring back 1L associates for their 2L summers. I would make no mention of an offer of permanent employment. While this is all true, it is purposely leaving out information, plus it probably seems like I was no-offered / performed poorly.
Not at all: there is no such a thing as being "no-offered" for 1L summer, since as far as I know, it is generally not expected to yield an offer anyway. Yours is an exceptional case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Not at all: there is no such a thing as being "no-offered" for 1L summer, since as far as I know, it is generally not expected to yield an offer anyway. Yours is an exceptional case.
This is just plain wrong. If you're a 1L SA for a big firm, you are just as likely to get an offer as a 2L SA for the same firm. Now, sometimes they have a policy of only giving an offer to come back for 2L summer (but of course you'd get a permanent offer at the end of 2L summer), and other times they only give an offer to come back after graduation (with a policy that you should work somewhere else 2L summer), but a 1L SA in a large firm that pays market should expect an offer of some sort barring bad behavior.

Small firms and whatnot, the rules are different. There you might not necessarily expect an offer from a 1L SA (though some still will do so).

Be honest. It's clear, since they gave you a permanent offer, that they liked you. No one will hold a slightly quirky firm policy against you. On the other hand, you will have to make clear that you would prefer the firm(s) you're interviewing with over your 1L firm (without insulting your 1L firm)--the interviewers don't want you to come for the summer and then run back to the other firm. Make sure you emphasize to the interviewers their firms' better salary/prestige/location/culture/practice areas you're interested in/etc.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, there is such a thing as being no-offered for 1L summer. If you were at a firm of any appreciable size, your OCI firms are expecting that you got an offer to come back for 2L summer and/or permanently. Firms really aren't in the business of handing out cash for fun anymore.

Obviously govt/PI jobs don't apply here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I am facing a similar but different issue here.
I was a summer associate at an in-house counsel of a large corporation.
Fortunately, I received an informal offer from the General Counsel to come back after graduation.
I am scheduled for a call back interview with a law firm that represents this company.
Should I address the fact that I received an offer from its client?
could this possibly hurt my chances of getting a summer associate position there?
thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I don't have any advice, but grats to rising 2Ls who already have job offers.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I think this oughta do the trick....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the other hand, you will have to make clear that you would prefer the firm(s) you're interviewing with over your 1L firm (without insulting your 1L firm)--the interviewers don't want you to come for the summer and then run back to the other firm. Make sure you emphasize to the interviewers their firms' better salary/prestige/location/culture/practice areas you're interested in/etc.
If your 1L SA was with a regional firm in a secondary or tertiary market while your 2L SA interviews are with major-market firms like NYC or similar, you probably won't be asked for much explanation, if any, of 'why' you're looking to try something different. If you are asked, your answer probably won't be very scrutinized. It's a very common scenario and firms know it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is just plain wrong. If you're a 1L SA for a big firm, you are just as likely to get an offer as a 2L SA for the same firm. Now, sometimes they have a policy of only giving an offer to come back for 2L summer (but of course you'd get a permanent offer at the end of 2L summer), and other times they only give an offer to come back after graduation (with a policy that you should work somewhere else 2L summer), but a 1L SA in a large firm that pays market should expect an offer of some sort barring bad behavior.

Small firms and whatnot, the rules are different. There you might not necessarily expect an offer from a 1L SA (though some still will do so).

Be honest. It's clear, since they gave you a permanent offer, that they liked you. No one will hold a slightly quirky firm policy against you. On the other hand, you will have to make clear that you would prefer the firm(s) you're interviewing with over your 1L firm (without insulting your 1L firm)--the interviewers don't want you to come for the summer and then run back to the other firm. Make sure you emphasize to the interviewers their firms' better salary/prestige/location/culture/practice areas you're interested in/etc.

Uh, steer clear of prestige/salary. Those are the well-known third rails. You come across looking like a money grubbing prestige whore.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”