References & Background Checks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References & Background Checks

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Do firms call up references after they have extended offers? Do they only do this if they have requested for references or are they allowed to call any institution/individual to conduct checks? What kind of background checks do they do besides the obvious ones (criminal conduct etc)?

(Mods, please don't post if un-anon.)

Anonymous User

Re: References & Background Checks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Also curious. Asked for references. Do they actallcal? (Big law firm)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Well, most employers who are going to call references do so before they make an offer, not after. They may or may not bother; probably depends on the firm, whether they know one of your references, if they have any genuine concerns but are still interested in you, etc. I doubt most firms would go to the trouble of contacting a person/institution, say, listed on your resume but not listed as a reference, but I don't know if there's anything to stop them (again, if they knew someone there, that kind of thing). I'm not sure what kind of background checks mean when you say besides "criminal conduct etc."

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm

I have a former employer that is going to bad mouth me. They are going to change my title to make me look bad and try to stop me from getting hired. I don't know what I am going to do. That shit pisses me off to no end. They tried relentlessly to get me fired from the next job after I left them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sidestep this problem?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Don't put them on your resume.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:20 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have a former employer that is going to bad mouth me. They are going to change my title to make me look bad and try to stop me from getting hired. I don't know what I am going to do. That shit pisses me off to no end. They tried relentlessly to get me fired from the next job after I left them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sidestep this problem?

Probably all you can do is warn your firm about it and hope they believe you. Is there another manager at the place who would--if not actually give you a good reference--at least confirm your story?

Do you have anything with your real title on it, like a paycheck, job offer letter or business card?

clone22

Postby clone22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have a former employer that is going to bad mouth me. They are going to change my title to make me look bad and try to stop me from getting hired. I don't know what I am going to do. That shit pisses me off to no end. They tried relentlessly to get me fired from the next job after I left them. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sidestep this problem?

as a law student, you should be able to write them a very polite, professional, well cited email informing them that if you even get the hint of them slandering you on a potential reference call, you will sue them into bankruptcy. Shouldn't be that hard to do, considering you have a lot of free time on your hands and free access to westlaw. Also ask professors in your school, especially ones you've had classes with.

It is my understanding that in today's litigious age, most employers refrain from saying anything bad about you on a reference call for fear of lawsuits, and in worst case scenarios will simply confirm your dates of employment and title. Don't be afraid to threaten lawsuits. If you write the email professionally enough, most laypersons will crap their pants. Keep in mind though, that whatever you write will be recorded permanently and emails are as good as written letters as far as evidence goes.

And as others have said, if leaving that employer out of your resume won't create a glaring hole in your employment history, you might want to just avoid them.

Return to “Legal Employment”