V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Shall I look to network before I start law school this fall? If so, any tips? Thanks!


Rising 3L here with biglaw SA position in V20. Yes, start networking in home market w/attorneys that are alumni of your law school & undergrad and also any attorney contacts through your family/current job/friends. Ask them to go to coffee to chat about law school and any advice they might have. Attorneys love talking about their law school glory days and also they usually enjoy helping 0L's out (at least in my experience). Building this network now will come in handy when looking for a 1L or 2L gig, or even beyond. Keep in touch with them during school year - drop an e-mail a few times a year or grab lunch/coffee when you are back in town.

(Can probably do the same w/attorneys that are in the market you hope to go to after law school - just do it via e-mail if you're not in same town now as what you want for 2L SA or graduation job).

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Shall I look to network before I start law school this fall? If so, any tips? Thanks!


never stop networking. never know who's going to go on to great things.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 pm

What do you think are the metrics we should use to avoid the next Dewey as best we can?

Also, is there a way to compare firms when it comes to quality/liklihood of exit options? Given the amount of 0Ls/1Ls that post like they know everything about the professoin, I don't tend to trust the stuff that flies around this site.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Rising 2L here, I'm meeting a V20 partner for a drink next week, what kinds of things should I ask him? What can I do to impress him? He is involved in the hiring process

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Guy walks into OCI properly dressed, with well managed hair down almost to his shoulders and a beard of three months' growth. First impression: a problem with fit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm

This could be firm specific, but if there is a particular partner you know you want to work for (assuming that he is among the more popular ones), what is a good way to get initially noticed and make sure he keeps coming back to you on future assignments?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think are the metrics we should use to avoid the next Dewey as best we can?

Also, is there a way to compare firms when it comes to quality/liklihood of exit options? Given the amount of 0Ls/1Ls that post like they know everything about the professoin, I don't tend to trust the stuff that flies around this site.


Try to talk to career services. They may have ideas.

Other than that, hard to tell. Dewey didn't reveal how much debt it have (or if it did, was hard to find) and certainly said nothing about guarantees. You could try asking folks about how the firm manages broader economic risks on a callback and/or second look (but gotta be careful/nuanced about it)

Otherwise, V20 or so are likely pretty safe, plus the boutiques. But certainly keep your eyes out for numerous significant partner departures...

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L here, I'm meeting a V20 partner for a drink next week, what kinds of things should I ask him? What can I do to impress him? He is involved in the hiring process


Ask him what questions you should be asking over the OCI process. Ask him what he wishes he knew.

Impress him by holding your liquor and not seeming nervous.

If he's meeting you for a drink and involved in the hiring process be sure to follow-up with both him and whomever helped set that up

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guy walks into OCI properly dressed, with well managed hair down almost to his shoulders and a beard of three months' growth. First impression: a problem with fit?


Maybe. But why risk it? You're interviewing at conservative law firms and you think that's a good idea? Get a more conservative haircut and chuck the beard (or at least make it a conservative one).

Or interview solely in SV

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This could be firm specific, but if there is a particular partner you know you want to work for (assuming that he is among the more popular ones), what is a good way to get initially noticed and make sure he keeps coming back to you on future assignments?


Send them a nice email and/or try to talk to him/her at mixer events. Kiss some ass, ask intelligent questions about the particular practice. Also find out which associates work for him/her and try to schmooze with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guy walks into OCI properly dressed, with well managed hair down almost to his shoulders and a beard of three months' growth. First impression: a problem with fit?


Maybe. But why risk it? You're interviewing at conservative law firms and you think that's a good idea? Get a more conservative haircut and chuck the beard (or at least make it a conservative one).

Or interview solely in SV


Anyone at your firm rock a beard?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Thoughts on interview with two different offices of the same firms (DC and Boston)? Trying to figure my bid list out and I don't want to give the firm the opportunity to believe I'm not serious about one (or both) markets.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guy walks into OCI properly dressed, with well managed hair down almost to his shoulders and a beard of three months' growth. First impression: a problem with fit?


Maybe. But why risk it? You're interviewing at conservative law firms and you think that's a good idea? Get a more conservative haircut and chuck the beard (or at least make it a conservative one).

Or interview solely in SV


Anyone at your firm rock a beard?


yeah. but i don't think anyone junior does (or at least anyone junior who's well-regarded). grow a beard after you already have a good rep.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on interview with two different offices of the same firms (DC and Boston)? Trying to figure my bid list out and I don't want to give the firm the opportunity to believe I'm not serious about one (or both) markets.


could be a waste, depends on the firm. one interview where you tell them which office you're most interested in is probably best way...

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:21 pm

how do firms generally view joint degrees (JD/MBA specifically)? Do they think JD/MBAs may be a flight risk down the road or are they pretty receptive?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm

What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm

msblaw89 wrote:What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

And no-tie markets you wish to be employed

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 pm

AlanShore wrote:how do firms generally view joint degrees (JD/MBA specifically)? Do they think JD/MBAs may be a flight risk down the road or are they pretty receptive?


slight boost. depends on the person. not the worst thing for someone to go in-house.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

And no-tie markets you wish to be employed


define "correspondence".

contacts through people who know you are always best.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:26 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

And no-tie markets you wish to be employed


define "correspondence".

contacts through people who know you are always best.


Correspondance meaning getting in contact with the firm in the absence of a contact. I am the first of my friends and family going to law school and who will be working in a legal field

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

And no-tie markets you wish to be employed


define "correspondence".

contacts through people who know you are always best.


Correspondance meaning getting in contact with the firm in the absence of a contact. I am the first of my friends and family going to law school and who will be working in a legal field


then wait until you have something worth telling them about. or send them a nice cover email / resume.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:What would be an appropriate way to start correspondence with V100 firms in your home market as a 0L?

And no-tie markets you wish to be employed


define "correspondence".

contacts through people who know you are always best.


Correspondance meaning getting in contact with the firm in the absence of a contact. I am the first of my friends and family going to law school and who will be working in a legal field


you could also see if any of the firms you are interested in have any alumni from your law school in the context of just wanting to see how you liked the school...any advice etc....thats what I did and i now have a few contacts in firms and a couple of lunches set up on the people is even on the hiring committee...just a thought

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

My T14 does not provide a GPA so I have to figure it out. 1L slightly above a B. Meaning that whatever 2B+ and 2A- can do to lift 4Bs, that is where I am. I was given free advice. . target mediocre law firms with large classes. Guess what, hard to locate a “mediocre law firm list.” Given my somewhat above B, do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

vegeta
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 3:43 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby vegeta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am

When we bid on firms at OCI, do you see what number we bid you at?

When we upload documents, can you see the actual titles we gave those documents (wondering that because sometimes I just make titles like "SC Cover letter" or "Trans")?

And what do you think is a good length for a cover email during mass mailing? Without being too annoying or too generic.

FlanSolo
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 am

What sort of dividends, if any, do you think transferring would pay further down the road? I gather from what you've said so far that the short term benefits are somewhat marginal, as a firm is just going to look at your 1L performance (this doesn't account for the oft cited "initiative" plus that I see mentioned around here.)

Have you detected any variations in treatment toward people with a T6 degree vs. someone with a T15-25 or T50?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.