V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby desertlaw » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T-10 1L here. Been on two V-25 interviews for an SA position. Both times I met with three partners, I thought the interviews went well, until the end when I heard, “feel free to keep looking.” Ding letter followed.

I then interviewed with the DA’s office and they treated me like a rock star. The next day I had an interview for a judge internship (and was given the green light that very day even after I mentioned I was awaiting word from the DA). A couple days later I was called by a firm, turns out they were a clearing house for judge interns and they recommended me to a number of judges (which I had to decline).

I wish I knew what went sideways with the V-25 interviews. My questions: since a big firm SA position is not in my 1L future, I hear what matters is that my summer is spent in the legal field. True? Also, my grades came out and I am slightly above median. ITE, how far down the Big Law ladder does that put me? I read in an earlier thread that you have a cut-off, can I ask, what is the cutoff? Thanks.

I'm sure a lot of 2L/3L's can answer this for you - so I'm going to do so. Don't stress missing out on BigLaw for 1L. It's a longshot and you still probably gained some valuable interview experience. Yes, anything legal during 1L summer is good so that you can talk about your experience during 2L OCI.

Median at T10 will depend on a lot of things (what city you're looking at, work experience, interview ability). I would mass-mail your home market during mid-July, as well as any firms in your target market not coming to your OCI. If the OP revealed his firm's cutoff, it wouldn't help you much because you don't know what firm he is at and therefore wouldn't know whether to bid on them or not. Don't try to equate V rankings with law school rankings in terms of what GPA they take. Some V5's would only take top 10% at my T10 school, but some V5's go down to median for good candidates that interview well.

Some firms are more grade-picky than others. Median will cut you off from some firms, but it won't at others. If your grades stay in the same range, you're going to want to go for NYC as your target market. Talk to your OCI or make a post on TLS during June/July when you have to do your bidlist. Then we'll have a better idea on where you should try to interview.

Sorry for the anon. That was me.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:LR might be a requirement, though there is, frankly, another possibility - you may not be a great interview (sorry). If their median is below your GPA and you're not getting many offers, you may not have come across great with them...

Oh yeah, I definitely think that's the dispositive factor, just was actually looking (and frankly, ego-wise, hoping) that there were things that are now beyond my control influencing the bad results.

I actually reached out to one of my interviewers, and she let me know while she thought our interview was great, I just didn't seem like the Biglaw "type." In other words, nothing that I really said was wrong, just "fit" wasn't right. Unfortunately this mostly based on my manner and it seems difficult to correct. Do you deal with this often? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

How were you dressed? Conservatively or unshaven/beard, bright colors, "different" suit? What sort of prior WE do you have? Lots of PI? Questions about pro bono?

Sorry to recycle a question from much earlier in the thread, but the original user seems to have vanished into the abyss.

I have a beard, though I keep it well-groomed (and would certainly visit a barber prior to an interview). Not a huge beard, but a chinstrap/mustache combination. Is being of the mustachioed tribe a detriment?

If so, is it due to lifestyle connotations (associated with tattoos, drugs, hipster-ism, and other undesirable behavior), or just considered too "different" to properly fit in with the firm culture?

If the latter, then what other mistakes have interviewees made with their dress choices, that are lesser-known and/or not commonly touched on by career services?

And while PI/Pro Bono is obviously a red flag, would volunteering a la Teach for America similarly red-flag a candidate?

Really not sure re: the beard. I think it all depends on your approach. If it's neatly trimmed probably not a huge deal (we certainly have a number of attorneys with beards/facial hair), but it isn't quite the "clean-cut image". Might be a bigger issue at some firms (more conservative ones).

I can't think of any particularly egregious dress choices (probably a good sign), but I'd make sure everything fits, is conservative, etc. Hard to stand out well with clothing choices.

I don't think anything in particular is clearly a red flag - key again is being sure that you can relate your experiences to your desire to work for a big firm and not to "changing the world"

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 4th year M&A attorney at a V5 firm. I'm entering my 5th year next January. I'm fluent in French and German. How hard/easy will it be to lateral to a firm/inhouse in continental Europe (say, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

Um. Probably not too hard. Assuming your V5 firm doesn't have continental Europe offices? Would think moving there would be the first step. But they may want local qualificaitons at the place in continental Europe...

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 4th year M&A attorney at a V5 firm. I'm entering my 5th year next January. I'm fluent in French and German. How hard/easy will it be to lateral to a firm/inhouse in continental Europe (say, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria)?

Not working yet, but how hard is it to lateral to an Asian office at your firm (this is directed to OP, not the above anonymous)? Assume fluency in the relevant language (Chinese and Japanese).

I think pretty easy. There's a strong desire for attorneys in those offices usually.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T-10 1L here. Been on two V-25 interviews for an SA position. Both times I met with three partners, I thought the interviews went well, until the end when I heard, “feel free to keep looking.” Ding letter followed.

I then interviewed with the DA’s office and they treated me like a rock star. The next day I had an interview for a judge internship (and was given the green light that very day even after I mentioned I was awaiting word from the DA). A couple days later I was called by a firm, turns out they were a clearing house for judge interns and they recommended me to a number of judges (which I had to decline).

I wish I knew what went sideways with the V-25 interviews. My questions: since a big firm SA position is not in my 1L future, I hear what matters is that my summer is spent in the legal field. True? Also, my grades came out and I am slightly above median. ITE, how far down the Big Law ladder does that put me? I read in an earlier thread that you have a cut-off, can I ask, what is the cutoff? Thanks.

Medium true re: 1L summer. Judge's internship is more than fine. V25 firms may just have been trying to get you interested in them for 2L summer, you just may not have been the 1 superstar they planned on hiring for their 1L summer class (likely 3-4 kids max).

Your final question is unanswerable, because it depends on which school you're at. Can't say my firm's cutoff to be specific but it's something like top half at YHS, top third at CCN, and further tightening as you go...but I do think we're on the tighter side of firms

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 pm

If a candidate worked as a paid SA for a V50 firm overseas during their first summer would they be considered a possible candidate even if their grades are under the cut off?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Do people freely curse/make make borderline politically incorrect but humorous comments at these firms? With partners? With clients?

I know it's breaking the law, but do any of you guys get together to smoke weed or anything?

On a related one: are most of the people at these places squares?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a candidate worked as a paid SA for a V50 firm overseas during their first summer would they be considered a possible candidate even if their grades are under the cut off?

nope. sorry. if grades above the cutoff though that's a nice thing, if for no other reason than it suggests you're probably reasonably connected to somebody who pulled some strings...

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people freely curse/make make borderline politically incorrect but humorous comments at these firms? With partners? With clients?

I know it's breaking the law, but do any of you guys get together to smoke weed or anything?

Uhhh...not totally sure how to answer any of these. So I'll answer the last one, and you can apply that to the first two. There are broad, broad ranges. And huge cultural differences between firms. You'll find all kinds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm

Would you recommend a summer associate to always where a suit even if the dress code is business casual?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks for the response on the V50 work experience. To follow up with that, is it actually a plus if a candidate is well connected? (such as to clients to some other major law firms?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:51 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do people freely curse/make make borderline politically incorrect but humorous comments at these firms? With partners? With clients?

Uhhh...not totally sure how to answer any of these. So I'll answer the last one, and you can apply that to the first two. There are broad, broad ranges. And huge cultural differences between firms. You'll find all kinds.

Oh...I thought the general homogeneity amongst those who attend top law schools and those who are trying to get biglaw would allow you to give me a better answer. Don't all people who make a shitload of money tend to be/become a certain way?

(I'm kidding, by the way, but from my somewhat extensive discussions with biglaw people, the "cultures-at-different-firms-range-from-a-to-z" answer is a bit of a non-answer. It seems like there are distinctions, but the more important/relevant distinctions are WITHIN firms [i.e. your group/people you work with directly] rather than across firms. In that sense, firms tend to be the same--some branches/groups within every firm are a bit more laid back and better to work with, and others are the anal-retentive/omg-how-can-you-not-see-how-feminism-is-still-relevant types. Thus, if one firm has Group Let's Smoke a Joint and Laugh at Dumb Shit, they all pretty much do.)

If possible, can you respond to the above impression I've gotten and tell me if there are people who act like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTJSorTQvw and whether people find it funny. I'm serious, btw--just trying to get a feel for what it's like in terms of holding back my inner-harmless asshole.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you recommend a summer associate to always where a suit even if the dress code is business casual?

Not after the first day or two (and even then, no need).

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the response on the V50 work experience. To follow up with that, is it actually a plus if a candidate is well connected? (such as to clients to some other major law firms?)

Sure. Though it only really starts getting meaningful once it's a close relative at the CEO / public company GC / senior PE/HF / senior MD bb i-bank level. Other law firms' clients won't be as helpful as the clients of the firm you're applying to. Still might not be enough depending on where you're looking.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Oh...I thought the general homogeneity amongst those who attend top law schools and those who are trying to get biglaw would allow you to give me a better answer. Don't all people who make a shitload of money tend to be/become a certain way?

(I'm kidding, by the way, but from my somewhat extensive discussions with biglaw people, the "cultures-at-different-firms-range-from-a-to-z" answer is a bit of a non-answer. It seems like there are distinctions, but the more important/relevant distinctions are WITHIN firms [i.e. your group/people you work with directly] rather than across firms. In that sense, firms tend to be the same--some branches/groups within every firm are a bit more laid back and better to work with, and others are the anal-retentive/omg-how-can-you-not-see-how-feminism-is-still-relevant types. Thus, if one firm has Group Let's Smoke a Joint and Laugh at Dumb Shit, they all pretty much do.)

If possible, can you respond to the above impression I've gotten and tell me if there are people who act like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTJSorTQvw and whether people find it funny. I'm serious, btw--just trying to get a feel for what it's like in terms of holding back my inner-harmless asshole.

uhh...no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 am

Does a 1L SA with in-house for a Fortune 300 translate well into BigLaw?

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 am

How do you normally view veterans (5 years Marine Corps with 1x Iraq and 2x Afghansitan combat deployments)? I'll be at CLS, most likely, if that means anything. Obviously you need to see the "whole package," but assuming everything is on par, is military experience something that you value? Are there any negatives, like age-ism, that I should keep in mind??

Im actually glad to hear that you consider leadership to be a valuable trait in an associate, because, as a veteran, I have leadership experience coming out of my ears. It's the one thing in life that Im most confident at.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 am

Kring345 wrote:How do you normally view veterans (5 years Marine Corps with 1x Iraq and 2x Afghansitan combat deployments)? I'll be at CLS, most likely, if that means anything. Obviously you need to see the "whole package," but assuming everything is on par, is military experience something that you value? Are there any negatives, like age-ism, that I should keep in mind??

Im actually glad to hear that you consider leadership to be a valuable trait in an associate, because, as a veteran, I have leadership experience coming out of my ears. It's the one thing in life that Im most confident at.

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for your service. Also, congrats on getting into Columbia, happy to hear everything is working out well for you!

Again, OP, thanks for taking questions, I have been checking on this thread and its awesome to get some insight!

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does a 1L SA with in-house for a Fortune 300 translate well into BigLaw?

maybe, maybe not. no idea what you're doing.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Kring345 wrote:How do you normally view veterans (5 years Marine Corps with 1x Iraq and 2x Afghansitan combat deployments)? I'll be at CLS, most likely, if that means anything. Obviously you need to see the "whole package," but assuming everything is on par, is military experience something that you value? Are there any negatives, like age-ism, that I should keep in mind??

Let's see. Experience working under stressful conditions, long hours, difficult circumstances, demanding supervisors, working as a team, taking responsibility for ensuring that things go well, improvising as needed...what's not to like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

You have probably been asked this, but are your firm's GPA/rank cutoffs roughly the same within the CCN or YHS tiers (adjusting for grading systems of course). Essentially, is there an advantage to attending Columbia over Chicago/NYU or Yale over Harvard/Stanford in terms of the rank you need to clear the cutoff?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You have probably been asked this, but are your firm's GPA/rank cutoffs roughly the same within the CCN or YHS tiers (adjusting for grading systems of course). Essentially, is there an advantage to attending Columbia over Chicago/NYU or Yale over Harvard/Stanford in terms of the rank you need to clear the cutoff?

Didn't he answer this like 1-3 pages ago? Don't ask him something if you haven't read through the thread.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You have probably been asked this, but are your firm's GPA/rank cutoffs roughly the same within the CCN or YHS tiers (adjusting for grading systems of course). Essentially, is there an advantage to attending Columbia over Chicago/NYU or Yale over Harvard/Stanford in terms of the rank you need to clear the cutoff?

Didn't he answer this like 1-3 pages ago? Don't ask him something if you haven't read through the thread.

He did answer this, well sort of. I think the question is more about is there a benefit to Columbia over NYU which has not really been specifically addressed. But feel free to correct me if I missed that.

On a very similar note and maybe to get a little more general:
Does your firm look differently at any of Michigan, Virginia, Penn, Berkeley? Do you know if anyone (hiring partner maybe?) keeps up with the rankings and actually cares about minor changes within the "T14" or T10 or whatever.

Feeling around here is that it doesnt, and I know where I am the attorneys dont pay attention at all but know what the "top" schools are. Just curious for your insight here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 pm

If a candidate is an SA for an overseas branch of a firm for their first year summer would are the chance that they will get an automatic offer for the second year in a United States office if the candiate's GPA is on the low end? (Assuming he/she did a great job first year and with recommendation of partner from the over-seas branch)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
desertlaw wrote:

He did answer this, well sort of. I think the question is more about is there a benefit to Columbia over NYU which has not really been specifically addressed. But feel free to correct me if I missed that.

On a very similar note and maybe to get a little more general:
Does your firm look differently at any of Michigan, Virginia, Penn, Berkeley? Do you know if anyone (hiring partner maybe?) keeps up with the rankings and actually cares about minor changes within the "T14" or T10 or whatever.

Feeling around here is that it doesnt, and I know where I am the attorneys dont pay attention at all but know what the "top" schools are. Just curious for your insight here.

Hmm. Got it.

Well...nah. Probably a bigger advantage with clients than with firms. Silly, but I think they still think of Columbia as a little better. As for minor changes w/in schools, again, nah. Grade cutoffs, etc., are in the nature of bands.

Return to “Legal Employment”