V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to transfer offices from where you SAed?

Depends where / for what. Usually easier to transfer into NY than out of it, but not always. DC/SF are generally tough.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 am

bumping because today's slow...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 am

itbdvorm wrote:bumping because today's slow...

Should those with summer offers worry about losing them due to crappy economy? Just slow due to holiday?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Should those with summer offers worry about losing them due to crappy economy? Just slow due to holiday?

deal closed last week, plus think it's slow due to holiday.

don't worry about things you can't control at this point. few, if any firms will no-offer entire classes. just don't be the jackass who screws up / slacks off, and be the conscientous kid who goes above and beyond, and you'll be fine

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:21 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

don't worry about things you can't control at this point. few, if any firms will no-offer entire classes. just don't be the jackass who screws up / slacks off, and be the conscientous kid who goes above and beyond, and you'll be fine

Sorry should've specified I meant losing the summer position, or is that unheard of?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry should've specified I meant losing the summer position, or is that unheard of?

is the firm at risk of going under? would be stunned if they pulled your summer offer now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:50 pm

I have extensive COO/CFO experience on my resume. After talking with some attorneys in the area, I'm worried about being pigeonholed in the industry I was in (construction) since it's a common practice area.
Should this be a concern?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have extensive COO/CFO experience on my resume. After talking with some attorneys in the area, I'm worried about being pigeonholed in the industry I was in (construction) since it's a common practice area.
Should this be a concern?

Only if the firm you work for has a significant construction law component. We certainly don't...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

How do you handle the unorthodox grading system at HYS? Do grades become less important and other attributes more important? If not, what is the rough grade cutoff for these schools?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 am

I think I'm a fairly decent interviewee and understand social niceties, but I struggle with one genre of questions: I feel during several of my callbacks, the interviewers, either implicitly or explicitly, tried to find out where else I'm interviewing, how many callbacks I've had, and/or who's offered me. This mainly comes from the recruiting directors, but interviewers will say this as well. I don't know if your firm investigates this, but it normally comes in the form of "So, you must be really busy with these callbacks..." But, I have been directly asked about my offers and then qualified with "you don't have to answer that..."

I'm always very apprehensive to answer these questions because suggesting that you haven't had many may make you look desperate, but indicating that you've had a healthy amount could make you look like you might be wasting one of their offers. However, not answering seems like the poorest idea. I try to say something pretty vague. Are the interviewers just being curious or could my answer seriously hurt my odds of getting an offer? What's the best approach to this line of questioning?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:43 am

If someone accepts an offer for an SA, what kind of things on a background check will get that offer rescinded?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 am

don't worry about things you can't control at this point. few, if any firms will no-offer entire classes. just don't be the jackass who screws up / slacks off, and be the conscientous kid who goes above and beyond, and you'll be fine[/quote]

What do you mean "screw up" - how can a SA screw up?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you handle the unorthodox grading system at HYS? Do grades become less important and other attributes more important? If not, what is the rough grade cutoff for these schools?

We still have "grade cuts" at these schools. There are ways to review/compare, etc. Certainly, though, grades become less important / cuts are lower at HYS than elsewhere, so fit/personality/experience play bigger roles.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm a fairly decent interviewee and understand social niceties, but I struggle with one genre of questions: I feel during several of my callbacks, the interviewers, either implicitly or explicitly, tried to find out where else I'm interviewing, how many callbacks I've had, and/or who's offered me. This mainly comes from the recruiting directors, but interviewers will say this as well. I don't know if your firm investigates this, but it normally comes in the form of "So, you must be really busy with these callbacks..." But, I have been directly asked about my offers and then qualified with "you don't have to answer that..."

I'm always very apprehensive to answer these questions because suggesting that you haven't had many may make you look desperate, but indicating that you've had a healthy amount could make you look like you might be wasting one of their offers. However, not answering seems like the poorest idea. I try to say something pretty vague. Are the interviewers just being curious or could my answer seriously hurt my odds of getting an offer? What's the best approach to this line of questioning?

I honestly don't know. I never ask that until the "already have an offer phase" and wouldn't expect a candidate to answer until that point either. I think the "I'm looking at a few different places, but I'd rather not get into specifics if that's all right" is fine.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If someone accepts an offer for an SA, what kind of things on a background check will get that offer rescinded?

Not sure. What are you worried about?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:don't worry about things you can't control at this point. few, if any firms will no-offer entire classes. just don't be the jackass who screws up / slacks off, and be the conscientous kid who goes above and beyond, and you'll be fine

What do you mean "screw up" - how can a SA screw up?[/quote]

There are many, many, MANY ways a SA can screw up. Not doing assignments (or doing them badly), inappropriate behavior, etc...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If someone accepts an offer for an SA, what kind of things on a background check will get that offer rescinded?

Not sure. What are you worried about?

Petty theft charge in highschool (misdemeanor). Charges were dismissed after community service and have since been expunged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm

I've read on this site that it's relatively much easier to lateral after a few years from a V15 to a V100, but nearly impossible to go the other way from a V100 to a V15. I've also read on here that this is a myth. What are your thoughts/experiences on this notion?

I'm deciding between a V15 and a V100, I liked the V100 slightly more but liked both firms a lot, and several people have told me to take the V15 because of the fact that I would have a good chance lateraling to the V100 later on if I wanted to because of the help of the great V15 resume line, but if I take the V100 then my chances of eventually ending up at the V15 are slim to none if I ever wanted to change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Best way to prepare during 2L for the Summer Program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Following up the preceding question: What is the best way to prepare for the research and writing done as a SA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Best way to prepare during 2L for the Summer Program?

+1 and tag

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1 and tag

guess a tag doesnt work if you accidentally hit anon.

pferaso

Postby pferaso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

What do you think about an international lawyer (from Colombia) that is attending a T14 school?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:34 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1 and tag

guess a tag doesnt work if you accidentally hit anon.

90%+ of this is really common sense. work out, because you will still eat and drink more than you're used to. go to open bar events and don't be more inebriated than anyone else there. if someone asks you to do something, do it on time and better than they expect you to (more attention to detail, etc.). i'm not sure if there are games that help you get better at ATD, but if there are, play them.

for research and writing question - do a note. do a great note. cite-check correctly and accurately, proof-read repeatedly.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

pferaso wrote:What do you think about an international lawyer (from Colombia) that is attending a T14 school?

as a JD? so long as your english is top-notch, sounds like a plus to me.

Return to “Legal Employment”