V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most of the lit partners i have interviewed with have come form the DOJ/AUSA. I am curious, if the safest way to partner at a big law firm for litigation is a stint in one of those two places, what firm/firms are the best for getting a young litigation associate into the AUSA/DOJ? Is a litigation powerhouse like PW better than a more prestigious firm like Simpson?

Any place with a great litigation practice is going to be good. Key will depend on you and whether the lit partners you work with who are ex-DOJ/AUSA can/will help.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Apparently the chair of Wachtell suggested people read this story. He's right. You should.

http://www.foundationsmag.com/garcia.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:44 pm

When new associates join your firm this coming September/October, what do you expect from them the first couple months? Moreover, what do you want from them those first couple months?

Any practice/mindset you'd recommend to get up to speed or best contribute?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When new associates join your firm this coming September/October, what do you expect from them the first couple months? Moreover, what do you want from them those first couple months?

Any practice/mindset you'd recommend to get up to speed or best contribute?

Eagerness
Responsiveness
Attitude

Those are the things that I expect from every single associate

I want them to hit that ridiculously low-hanging bogey, and to show some interest and intelligence regarding what we do

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 am

What're your thoughts on Simpson/Kirkland, specifically with respect to the differences in system, ie lock step/central staffing v. eat-what-you-kill/open market? Do you have any general insights on these firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 pm

More first year advice: can you talk about the learning process in general? Since we don't really know what we don't know, do you just sort of expect an associate to be as diligent and thoughtful as possible on the things even we can get right, then try to give feedback on the stuff that's beyond our knowledge?

Any tips on overcoming the learning curve I guess would be awesome.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What're your thoughts on Simpson/Kirkland, specifically with respect to the differences in system, ie lock step/central staffing v. eat-what-you-kill/open market? Do you have any general insights on these firms?

Simpson is better.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More first year advice: can you talk about the learning process in general? Since we don't really know what we don't know, do you just sort of expect an associate to be as diligent and thoughtful as possible on the things even we can get right, then try to give feedback on the stuff that's beyond our knowledge?

Think about it like a toddler trying to walk.

The toddler will - inevitably - fall over a few times. But by trying hard to walk, it will one day walk.

If instead the toddler just say there, waiting for someone to show it how to walk, it would never learn. But if it tries, the parent would/should assist the toddler (move obstacles, pick it up when it falls, etc.)

This is being an associate in a nutshell. I want to help you walk. But you need to try.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:53 pm

If an applicant was no-offered for a particular position after a call-back, would it be crazy if that applicant applied to another advertised position 1.5 months later? It seems a little awkward no?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If an applicant was no-offered for a particular position after a call-back, would it be crazy if that applicant applied to another advertised position 1.5 months later? It seems a little awkward no?

Never hurts to apply...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:00 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More first year advice: can you talk about the learning process in general? Since we don't really know what we don't know, do you just sort of expect an associate to be as diligent and thoughtful as possible on the things even we can get right, then try to give feedback on the stuff that's beyond our knowledge?

Think about it like a toddler trying to walk.

The toddler will - inevitably - fall over a few times. But by trying hard to walk, it will one day walk.

If instead the toddler just say there, waiting for someone to show it how to walk, it would never learn. But if it tries, the parent would/should assist the toddler (move obstacles, pick it up when it falls, etc.)

This is being an associate in a nutshell. I want to help you walk. But you need to try.

Well when you put it like this, it sounds like anyone could theoretically do it. Although I'm sure it's much harder in practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Thank you so much for doing this!

A question about some interview behavior from partners. I've done two pre-oci interviews that went really well, with partners suggesting strongly/practically telling me during the screener that I would receive a cb/second interview. at some point in the mix, something happened and I ended up either getting dinged or not hearing back.

I've also heard about this happening to my friends, though for them, it was during OCI screeners. I can understand why getting such feedback wouldn't mean as much during the OCI process, since firms have so many candidates to go through and are thinking about their numbers from different schools / markets / etc. But when it's a partner / hiring partner doing a pre-recruiting season interview on-site, what are the factors that go from screener --> no cb if it seemed the interviewer really liked a candidate? does it mean that the interviewer wasn't being genuine to begin with, or that others in the recruiting team said no? Not really looking for advice on what to do, since I'm not trying to follow up at this point. I'm just curious about how it all works, especially regarding the thought process behind what interviewers convey to interviewees as well as the internal structure of the hiring process.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much for doing this!

A question about some interview behavior from partners. I've done two pre-oci interviews that went really well, with partners suggesting strongly/practically telling me during the screener that I would receive a cb/second interview. at some point in the mix, something happened and I ended up either getting dinged or not hearing back.

I've also heard about this happening to my friends, though for them, it was during OCI screeners. I can understand why getting such feedback wouldn't mean as much during the OCI process, since firms have so many candidates to go through and are thinking about their numbers from different schools / markets / etc. But when it's a partner / hiring partner doing a pre-recruiting season interview on-site, what are the factors that go from screener --> no cb if it seemed the interviewer really liked a candidate? does it mean that the interviewer wasn't being genuine to begin with, or that others in the recruiting team said no? Not really looking for advice on what to do, since I'm not trying to follow up at this point. I'm just curious about how it all works, especially regarding the thought process behind what interviewers convey to interviewees as well as the internal structure of the hiring process.

Just because I say something like "look forward to speaking with you soon" doesn't mean you'll be getting a callback. Would rather you leave thinking positively about me...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Could you elaborate more on your Simpson answer above? If a corporate associate bills 2300 isn't she better off at Kirkland where they pay more?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could you elaborate more on your Simpson answer above? If a corporate associate bills 2300 isn't she better off at Kirkland where they pay more?

Money isn't everything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:34 pm

So Simpson is better--- great insight

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So Simpson is better--- great insight

You'll learn that partners speak this way. Enjoy law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:11 pm

@OP: What is the best way for a quiet person to do well in an interview, other than trying to fake being outgoing? Is there a way to do well in callback interviews with a quiet demeanor?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:@OP: What is the best way for a quiet person to do well in an interview, other than trying to fake being outgoing? Is there a way to do well in callback interviews with a quiet demeanor?

"Outgoing" / "quiet" does not necessarily equate to success. Are you socially awkward? Able to hold a conversation?

I have had "outgoing" candidates who I immediately reject, and quiet ones who I immediately say are amazing. If you can carry a conversation about a subject you're interested in, you should be fine. If you have difficulty engaging in conversation with people, this may be difficult.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:37 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So Simpson is better--- great insight

You'll learn that partners speak this way. Enjoy law.

Well, we especially do when the questions are vague and the answers are obvious.

There are a million threads and insights about the differences between these two firms. I would bet I've even answered this specific question before. Don't ask me to do work that you could (and should) do yourself and then get pissy with me for giving you short answers. You're not a paying client, I don't owe you anything. You want a specific answer to a specific question regarding different facets of the firms? I'll tell you what I think, maybe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 am

Advice for a CB when your grades are lower than those of the students this firm has historically hired from your school? Does that matter less now that I've made it past the screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:16 am

I'm okay with a one word vague answer. I mean if someone would like to elaborate that would be great, though. Latham or Weil in 2016?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:24 am

not a law student, but appreciate your insights: what's your favorite/least favorite firm to work with on a deal? I assume the answers are different based on corporate subpractice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm okay with a one word vague answer. I mean if someone would like to elaborate that would be great, though. Latham or Weil in 2016?

When you ask vague questions, you will get vague answers. What practice/location at a minimum?

Based on the question as asked, Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:36 pm

I had 2 call backs a week apart. In each CB the partners said they will get back to me in a week or two. It has been 3 and 4 weeks for each CB. About 3 days ago I sent an email out reiterating my interest, what i liked about the firm, and some new developments in a big case i was working on in my previous firm. Still no word.

Is it because I have rejection snail mails on its way?

Return to “Legal Employment”