V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you view guys that are overweight? Is part of "fit" being in good shape? I was told that interviewers presume overweight candidates as being lazy or lacking in self-control. Should you get the elephant out of the room if it is a medical issue so that the interviewer knows it isn't?

Did you purposely use the words fit and elephant in this post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:54 pm

after an interview with a large firm in V100, if they don't call me back to let me know one way or another for two weeks, is it safe to assume they simply aren't interested?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do grades factor into 3L big law hiring? Is it just 1L that is important? Does strength of the program someone summered at matter (e.g. V15 versus V100)?

we'll look at everything. better is better, but to a point. if you summered at Skadden and are interviewing with us that will raise more questions than if you summered at Kaye Scholer.

So then would you say "trading up" as a reason for interviewing is pretty implicit, as in, no reason to cite that when asked "why XYZ firm"?

"trading up" is a terrible answer. premier X practice is a better one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 pm

how much would one poor interview at a CB impact a candidates chances? i think i really messed up in one of my 5 interviews - but the other 4 went really well. offer still possible? anything I could do to try and make up for the poor interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:24 pm

If your firm has their commitment to pro bono posted all over their website, and a potential SA used that as a talking point (asking how they integrate pro bono, what kinds of pro bono work has the interviewer been able to work on)...would that come off as someone who would rather be in public interest?

(I was trying to show I had done research in the firm and mentioned specific pro bono areas they work in as they coincided as areas of interest for me but I'm scared I came of as someone who wants a biglaw salary to do public interest work...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your firm has their commitment to pro bono posted all over their website, and a potential SA used that as a talking point (asking how they integrate pro bono, what kinds of pro bono work has the interviewer been able to work on)...would that come off as someone who would rather be in public interest?

(I was trying to show I had done research in the firm and mentioned specific pro bono areas they work in as they coincided as areas of interest for me but I'm scared I came of as someone who wants a biglaw salary to do public interest work...)

I talked about Pro Bono with some firms at OCI mentioning the moral duty lawyers have (the bs) and the fact that it provides a chance for young attorneys and summers to handle their own cases. Seems to have gone over well.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:how much would one poor interview at a CB impact a candidates chances? i think i really messed up in one of my 5 interviews - but the other 4 went really well. offer still possible? anything I could do to try and make up for the poor interview?

Always hard to know for sure (and depends on how badly). Offer definitely still possible though

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If your firm has their commitment to pro bono posted all over their website, and a potential SA used that as a talking point (asking how they integrate pro bono, what kinds of pro bono work has the interviewer been able to work on)...would that come off as someone who would rather be in public interest?

I talked about Pro Bono with some firms at OCI mentioning the moral duty lawyers have (the bs) and the fact that it provides a chance for young attorneys and summers to handle their own cases. Seems to have gone over well.

I wouldn't do this with anyone more senior than a second year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:43 am

For someone joining a capital markets practice that also does a bit of acquisition finance, is there any suggested reading you'd recommend? A book or two, or another one to build some basic knowledge about how these things work?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For someone joining a capital markets practice that also does a bit of acquisition finance, is there any suggested reading you'd recommend? A book or two, or another one to build some basic knowledge about how these things work?

I think there are a few firms that publish books of jargon / dictionaries / guides - I would definitely look for one of those on acquisition finance and thumb through it.

Barbarians at the Gate is interesting. Acquisition finance is the private equity model generally (though many corporates are leveraged and use debt to acquire companies as well). So useful as a big picture idea.

But specifics of acquisition finance and cap markets generally are really complex and technical. I would look at a few OMs, read a bunch of different descriptions of notes, and start thinking about what goes into these things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:02 pm

When you say "fit", how do you look at an introvert guy who came from an entirely different culture (foreign) and has no common interest with the rest of the firm, other than the actual work? He is always courteous, no communication difficulty, and does try to do small talks, but still will be awkward silences during lunch, etc.? Auto-ding? Not-an-issue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:14 pm

For a 3L candidate, how do you look at his past 2L summer associate experience? Does the prestige of the past SA position, say V20 vs. V70, matter to you at all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Background: patent candidate trying to choose between IP boutique vs. GP (with strong IP) for the summer associate position. Currently have no idea whether the long-term goal is GP or boutique. I guess I will choose the option that gives me the most flexibility for future employment. So, the questions are:

How does a GP look at a candidates' past boutique experience?
How does boutique look at a candidates' past GP experience (in IP)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Talk about pro bono at all/use it as a talking point? Or what the other anon said - talking about it giving younger associates a chance to handle their own cases (I did not say that, and personally would not say that. I was only asking about talking pro bono as a draw to a firm.)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you say "fit", how do you look at an introvert guy who came from an entirely different culture (foreign) and has no common interest with the rest of the firm, other than the actual work? He is always courteous, no communication difficulty, and does try to do small talks, but still will be awkward silences during lunch, etc.? Auto-ding? Not-an-issue?

Not an auto-ding, but not an auto-yes. Good grades, etc., could overcome that, as could speaking intelligently about various topics

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For a 3L candidate, how do you look at his past 2L summer associate experience? Does the prestige of the past SA position, say V20 vs. V70, matter to you at all?

Everything matters.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Background: patent candidate trying to choose between IP boutique vs. GP (with strong IP) for the summer associate position. Currently have no idea whether the long-term goal is GP or boutique. I guess I will choose the option that gives me the most flexibility for future employment. So, the questions are:

How does a GP look at a candidates' past boutique experience?
How does boutique look at a candidates' past GP experience (in IP)?

Sorry, too specific a question. If you want to do patent I would compare quality of patent practices. A boutique with a great practice will help, a boutique with a crap practice won't

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Talk about pro bono at all/use it as a talking point? Or what the other anon said - talking about it giving younger associates a chance to handle their own cases (I did not say that, and personally would not say that. I was only asking about talking pro bono as a draw to a firm.)

I wouldn't bring up pro bono at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 am

Hey, I cracked the V5 in NYC but I have an attractive offer from one of the two market players in Philadelphia. I'm wondering if you think the training/ opportunities in NYC are worth sacrificing the cost of living benefits in a city like Philly. I've heard a lot of, "You can always go back to Philly." Do you think that's true? I also think with respect to "exit options" being at one of the two known firms in a city has some upside that Vault rankings does not necessarily translate into. Care to shed any light?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I cracked the V5 in NYC but I have an attractive offer from one of the two market players in Philadelphia. I'm wondering if you think the training/ opportunities in NYC are worth sacrificing the cost of living benefits in a city like Philly. I've heard a lot of, "You can always go back to Philly." Do you think that's true? I also think with respect to "exit options" being at one of the two known firms in a city has some upside that Vault rankings does not necessarily translate into. Care to shed any light?

My personal view is that you get more traction long term cranking through two years of junior associate pain at a top firm than with a mid-market player. That said, if your goal is to make partner in Philly I would try to get back to there no later than your 4th year.

But if your goal is to go in-house in the Philly area, I think you would do just as well (if not better) coming from a V5 in NY than a top Philly firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Are thank you emails to call back interviewers necessary or just a waste of time?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are thank you emails to call back interviewers necessary or just a waste of time?

Generally a waste. Doesn't hurt but absence of one doesn't make me change my view dramatically

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:37 pm

Most of the lit partners i have interviewed with have come form the DOJ/AUSA. I am curious, if the safest way to partner at a big law firm for litigation is a stint in one of those two places, what firm/firms are the best for getting a young litigation associate into the AUSA/DOJ? Is a litigation powerhouse like PW better than a more prestigious firm like Simpson?

Return to “Legal Employment”