Page 138 of 166

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:40 am
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:T25 Top 10-12% no journal. I have 8 screening interviews and 2 CB next week. Worried about the no journal and only got the CB through my 1l job GC making a few calls. I'm I dead in the water or do I have any chance at an offer?


I don't think "no journal" matters

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 am
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:How do New York firms view good work experience (i.e. McKinsey/Goldman) Do you ever wonder why someone left for law?


Excellent positive sign

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 am
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks so much for answering questions, this thread has been really interesting and helpful.

I'm not sure if you could provide any insight, but I thought I'd ask- I'm at HLS and am below median with a few years of decent but unrelated work experience. I'm shooting for NYC transactional. Is it a waste to bid on V10 firms? Am I safe bidding primarily V25 firms or should I be focusing on, say, V50, V100?

Any advice would be really helpful. Putting together a bidlist with just information from Google is a little stressful. Thanks in advance.


Hard to know for sure - hard to know far below median you are, and don't know everyone's grade cut. I would assume Wachtell is out, probably Cravath/Sullivan, but some shot at the rest? Talk to peers, talk to career services


Thanks for the advice. Ive been asking around but even ocs doesn't seem to want to say anything too explicit or frank :( I'm just below median (1H) if that makes any difference.


Get angry with them. You're training to be a lawyer, so be one and get answers.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:06 pm
by Moonraker
Hi, thanks for doing this.

How do interviews differ when interviewing as a Clerk, versus interviewing as a 2L at EIP?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am
by Anonymous User
How long do you usually take to call a candidate for a second round of interview? Do you ever take a week or more?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:28 pm
by Anonymous User
If you have an early offer from a V10, but really want to work at another firm, do you advise sharing that with the interviewer if they ask where else you're looking, etc?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 pm
by Anonymous User
Are there any biglaw firms that just don't make hiring decisions until OCI starts? Or is this always just a way to let down a candidate lightly lol

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:42 pm
by itbdvorm
Moonraker wrote:Hi, thanks for doing this.

How do interviews differ when interviewing as a Clerk, versus interviewing as a 2L at EIP?


You should know more. I expect better knowledge about the universe and what you want to do, and why.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:43 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:How long do you usually take to call a candidate for a second round of interview? Do you ever take a week or more?


Usually pretty quick - but sometimes

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:44 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:If you have an early offer from a V10, but really want to work at another firm, do you advise sharing that with the interviewer if they ask where else you're looking, etc?


Maybe, but only if you can do so in a non-obnoxious way

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:56 pm
by Anonymous User
Top 20% at a T-14 and on Law Review. only work experience is a year as a paralegal in shit law (all the attorneys went to the local TTTT and made 40K) will this hurt me?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm
by Anonymous User
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long do you usually take to call a candidate for a second round of interview? Do you ever take a week or more?


Usually pretty quick - but sometimes


Do you recommend following up after about a week to reiterate my interest in the firm? Or do firms pretty much make up their minds by now?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:57 pm
by LifeGoals
Thanks for all you do on the forum helping out kids who don't know anything.

Do you have any advice for someone who has a strong Business/Econ interest but thinks they'd enjoy litigation more than transactional work? Are there any particular subfields of litigation that would readily translate to a more business-oriented role in-house if I ever felt like I'd rather be on that end of things? I'm particularly curious about financial entities like vulture funds which are often involved in litigation as a core aspect of their business.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:49 am
by Anonymous User
What's the normal turn-around time for the top firms to respond to an applicant they are interested in screening after receiving their application through either mass-mail or a resume collection service?

I sent out a bunch of emails about 10 days ago, and several firms did a resume collection through my CSO a week ago. Is it likely they have gone over my application already and I am out of luck, or is this way to soon to tell?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:58 am
by Anonymous User
I've read some studies that found there are more psychopaths in partners/CEOs than any other places in life. Do you observe this to be true among your colleagues?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... not-always

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:45 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% at a T-14 and on Law Review. only work experience is a year as a paralegal in shit law (all the attorneys went to the local TTTT and made 40K) will this hurt me?


No

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:45 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long do you usually take to call a candidate for a second round of interview? Do you ever take a week or more?


Usually pretty quick - but sometimes


Do you recommend following up after about a week to reiterate my interest in the firm? Or do firms pretty much make up their minds by now?


can't hurt

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:47 pm
by itbdvorm
LifeGoals wrote:Thanks for all you do on the forum helping out kids who don't know anything.

Do you have any advice for someone who has a strong Business/Econ interest but thinks they'd enjoy litigation more than transactional work? Are there any particular subfields of litigation that would readily translate to a more business-oriented role in-house if I ever felt like I'd rather be on that end of things? I'm particularly curious about financial entities like vulture funds which are often involved in litigation as a core aspect of their business.


Securities / contract litigation could be up your alley. Check out the Dell appraisal cases - if that interests you...

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:48 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:What's the normal turn-around time for the top firms to respond to an applicant they are interested in screening after receiving their application through either mass-mail or a resume collection service?

I sent out a bunch of emails about 10 days ago, and several firms did a resume collection through my CSO a week ago. Is it likely they have gone over my application already and I am out of luck, or is this way to soon to tell?


"maybe"

assume the worst and operate accordingly. then maybe be pleasantly surprised.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:I've read some studies that found there are more psychopaths in partners/CEOs than any other places in life. Do you observe this to be true among your colleagues?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... not-always


not really

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 pm
by Anonymous User
If you receive a callback after a screener at EIP/OCI, is it safe to say that your grades were fine and now the firm is just looking for a fit?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:58 pm
by rpupkin
Anonymous User wrote:If you receive a callback after a screener at EIP/OCI, is it safe to say that your grades were fine and now the firm is just looking for a fit?

No. Some firms still take grades into account when making hiring decisions after call-back interviews. But there's nothing you can do about your grades; focus on what you can control.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:31 pm
by Anonymous User
How do grades factor into 3L big law hiring? Is it just 1L that is important? Does strength of the program someone summered at matter (e.g. V15 versus V100)?

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 pm
by itbdvorm
Anonymous User wrote:How do grades factor into 3L big law hiring? Is it just 1L that is important? Does strength of the program someone summered at matter (e.g. V15 versus V100)?


we'll look at everything. better is better, but to a point. if you summered at Skadden and are interviewing with us that will raise more questions than if you summered at Kaye Scholer.

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:43 pm
by Anonymous User
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do grades factor into 3L big law hiring? Is it just 1L that is important? Does strength of the program someone summered at matter (e.g. V15 versus V100)?


we'll look at everything. better is better, but to a point. if you summered at Skadden and are interviewing with us that will raise more questions than if you summered at Kaye Scholer.

So then would you say "trading up" as a reason for interviewing is pretty implicit, as in, no reason to cite that when asked "why XYZ firm"?