V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:59 pm

I noticed that in just about every biglaw firm's website, overwhelming majority of the associate profiles are white males. I am pretty sure that reflects the demographic of people who go to law school in the first place, but how much does an applicant's race and appearance factor into hiring decisions, whether consciously or subconsciously? It seems like having big corporate clients who are also overwhelmingly white males would influence that decision.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm

KunAgnis wrote:I have 15 screeners coming up at Loyola Patent Fair. I am thinking to research every listed interviewer and ask them about their practice, cases, papers; I might also ask about the firm and the past projects. What I wanted to know was, at what point is it too awkward? Like if I ask about past papers or cases, is it possible that they may not remember and thus my questions will make the interview weird? I want to seem prepared and like I cared and put a lot of thought into this, but I don't want to seem robotic and creepy, I guess. Any thoughts, please?
Ya I felt like specific cases that were not well known were too specific unless they were huge cases. Like, it wouldn't be weird to mention Google v oracle with King and spalding. But anything short of New York Times worthy is weird. Similarly I think papers can be a bit over the top specific. But more general details of a practice and their representations are not. I draw the line at things on the general page for a practice group as being fine whereas some minor case at the bottom of a specific bio that I had to look up on lexis is not.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, I'm in mobile.

Eta: Also sry I thought i was responding in the Loyola thread

yay

New

Post by yay » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Do you ever respond to people who directly send you their job apps via email? does that annoy you or do you appreciate their taking initiative? Have you ever hired someone by this method?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During an interview for a particular position, and after making rounds with all the interviews with lower level associates, if towards the end a founding partner asks you for your preferred area of law and then gives you an impromptu interview with that department's partner, it is a good sign right? Or is this more common than I thought? I am trying to figure out what led him to make this gesture to someone whom he met 5 minutes ago.
Couldn't hurt.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

KunAgnis wrote:I have 15 screeners coming up at Loyola Patent Fair. I am thinking to research every listed interviewer and ask them about their practice, cases, papers; I might also ask about the firm and the past projects. What I wanted to know was, at what point is it too awkward? Like if I ask about past papers or cases, is it possible that they may not remember and thus my questions will make the interview weird? I want to seem prepared and like I cared and put a lot of thought into this, but I don't want to seem robotic and creepy, I guess. Any thoughts, please?
I noticed on your bio, X, anything particularly noteworthy?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I noticed that in just about every biglaw firm's website, overwhelming majority of the associate profiles are white males. I am pretty sure that reflects the demographic of people who go to law school in the first place, but how much does an applicant's race and appearance factor into hiring decisions, whether consciously or subconsciously? It seems like having big corporate clients who are also overwhelmingly white males would influence that decision.
Google "firm" and "diversity" and you will see the firms' views

This is a complex question - no clearcut answers

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

yay wrote:Do you ever respond to people who directly send you their job apps via email? does that annoy you or do you appreciate their taking initiative? Have you ever hired someone by this method?
forward -> recruiting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:32 pm

How much money do you make, before taxes

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much money do you make, before taxes
[+] Spoiler
more than I used to

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:32 pm

How sloppy do you think a summer associate is if the work product needs proofreading, but the fact is you needed the work almost immediately? I want to die now because the partner just gave me a fatherly talk on my lack of refined writing style, delivered not in a criticizing fashion but that really made me cry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:34 pm

In the long term, is it better to be at the tippy top of a T20 school so you have all these awards and law review and everything, or a transfer at HYSCCN? Talking in-house or even non-law exit options. Does it not matter? Does it matter a little bit if it's Y, or YHS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi! Thanks for this very informative thread! I was wondering if you knew anything about associate hiring for tax law, specifically for someone without an accounting background. How much do firms value a Tax LLM (preferably one from a top program), or can one do without. I've also heard of some firms paying for associates to get a Tax LLM part time.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How sloppy do you think a summer associate is if the work product needs proofreading, but the fact is you needed the work almost immediately? I want to die now because the partner just gave me a fatherly talk on my lack of refined writing style, delivered not in a criticizing fashion but that really made me cry.
Toughen up. The partner did you a favor by providing feedback.

Believe me, it's not unusual for partners (and senior associates) to receive sloppy work from summers and junior associates. The lazy partners just stop assigning work to the sloppy associates. The kind partners will take the time to explain--as this partner apparently did--that you need to improve something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:28 pm

Currently 2L summer at V25 firm in NY that has a solid corporate group, but litigation-heavy. Realized now I want to do corporate. In the short-run, am I wasting my time by staying at this firm or is 3L OCI the way to go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:57 pm

I sent a mass mail to a firm for a post grad position that I had a callback with last summer, but didn't ultimately get the SA. A few days later after I sent it, I realized I was going to be in the city where the firm is for an interview with a different firm. Is it annoying or okay for me to email the first firm back again (within the same week), stating that Ill be in town for X dates and would love the chance to come in for an interview?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently 2L summer at V25 firm in NY that has a solid corporate group, but litigation-heavy. Realized now I want to do corporate. In the short-run, am I wasting my time by staying at this firm or is 3L OCI the way to go.
Honestly trying to figure out what V25 that has a corporate group doesn't have a particularly good one...feel free to PM me for details. Bigger issue is what you want to do and if you can do it there...

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent a mass mail to a firm for a post grad position that I had a callback with last summer, but didn't ultimately get the SA. A few days later after I sent it, I realized I was going to be in the city where the firm is for an interview with a different firm. Is it annoying or okay for me to email the first firm back again (within the same week), stating that Ill be in town for X dates and would love the chance to come in for an interview?
I'd do it. Even if annoying, won't move the needle

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Do you think it's too late to mass mail for a pre-EIP interview now? Would you recommend someone only reaching out to firms on his/her bid list? What would you recommend saying in the cover letter (or have you seen threads around here with good advice for this)? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:50 am

I posted a while back about bidding high in NYC because I think I want to work in Philadelphia (where I'm from). I took your advice and shot high because I wasn't really set on NYC, ie, go big or go home.

With respect to grades, I'm already punching well above my coverage. Its pre-OCI and after a little bit of hustle, I have a lower V5 callback and a lower V10 offer pre-oci. My general question is, if I'm still undecided on practice area, what do you advise on how to evaluate one firm verse another. I found the early screeners/interviewers all fairly nice. I understand my interaction with them is not necessarily indicative of what firm life will be like.

Also, do you have any general opinions on the top NYC firms that you care to share?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:44 pm

I intend to clerk and will be applying in December. I also intend to work in a smaller east coat market afterwards for cost of living/family. Is it OK to take a fancy NYC summer spot knowing that I want to clerk and then move to a smaller market later? My thought is that a firm like S&C on the resume for the summer will look good. Then in a few years I can apply to the smaller market I want to live in. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I want a fun NYC summer before I sell my soul as an associate elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello itbdvorm. I want to start off by thanking you for what you've done here. I hope one day I can follow in your foot steps and give back to this community in the same way you have.

My question is regarding transferring.

I am currently top 3 at a T3 in NY and was admitted to CLS as a transfer student. If I want NYC BigLaw for 4-5 years, is it worth transferring to Columbia to attain that goal? COA at CLS would be about 200k, while my current school would be about 30k (I have a full scholarship, so just living expenses). I currently have a v10 callback (faculty connection), and a screener interview at a v50 from mass mailing, and I anticipate (praying/crossing fingers) OCI will lead to at least a few more interviews with NYC BigLaw.

Assuming I don't have any fancy career aspirations, and all I want is to make some money in NYC BigLaw so that I can one day go join a family business while trying to start my own firm, would you transfer? Does transferring give me a better chance at landing NYC BigLaw, and if so, is that change in opportunity worth the debt I would be placing myself in?

One final note. If I strike out at my current school and don't land NYC BigLaw, I will be very upset, and I think I will regret not attending Columbia.

Again, thank you. I think I speak for everyone on TLS when I say, we really appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to help a bunch of kids who just really want to be like you one day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:58 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
yay wrote:Do you ever respond to people who directly send you their job apps via email? does that annoy you or do you appreciate their taking initiative? Have you ever hired someone by this method?
forward -> recruiting
It's really nice of you, but is it common for partners to do so? If yes then massmailing partners in my areas of interest wouldn't be a bad idea as I assume that HR pays more attention to an email from partners, correct? Thanks for any input!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:58 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How difficult would it be to get interviews in NYC coming from a Canadian school? I'd love the opportunity to work in the world's leading legal market on huge transactions that we simply don't get in Canada.

My school is on the west coast, and my 1L grades were in the top 5 in my class (class size 180+). Nearly 10 years of WE in hospitality and restaurants around the country as well as abroad including management roles. A bunch of ECs in school but nothing standout.

Are there any key things that I should really focus on or avoid in my cover letter to increase my chances?
presumably doable

I'd focus on the outstanding performance in the cover letter

does your school host NY firms? anyone go to a top firm from your school recently? talk to career services
No NYC firms will be doing OCI at my school this year. Four V10 firms do a resume collection through our CSO which I've put in for.

A couple recent grads from my school have gone to SA, but didn't return to NYC after graduation. I'm actually worried this will hurt my chances as firms may start to see students from my school as more of a flight risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:15 am

At any large firm you know, does a single partner ever have enough clout and power to personally make hiring decisions on his own?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:21 am

Is there a significant benefit to have a degree from Yale 5+ years after graduation? I.e., if two law students, one who transferred to Yale and one who stayed at his T14 at the tippy top of his class both go do corporate work for a firm, is the Yale graduate going to have better exit options/get his foot in the door at more interesting/lucrative/prestigious places?

If you were looking at resumes for lateral hiring, would the Yale name impress you significantly more than Duke or Virginia and latin honors/law review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”