V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:26 pm

barkschool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interview suit pants. How much break?

Somewhere between very slight and half.

Make sure your pants are appropriately tapered, that's more important. If your tailor doesn't know what that is, get a new tailor.

Tapered pants aren't a too fashion forward?

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
barkschool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interview suit pants. How much break?

Somewhere between very slight and half.

Make sure your pants are appropriately tapered, that's more important. If your tailor doesn't know what that is, get a new tailor.

Tapered pants aren't a too fashion forward?

The difference between this:
http://www.clothingconnectiononline.com//media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/p/dp106_black.jpg

And,

This:

http://www.bananarepublic.com/products/modern-slim-charcoal-wool-suit-trouser-P167295.jsp?pid=167295002&vid=1&brandCvoSid=PU38UJUBCEM4

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Starting at a V5 firm this coming fall. However, I'll be starting in M&A, a practice group that I did zero work for over the summer.

Does this change anything for me going in as a new associate, in terms of setting a reputation or the expectations they have for me? For someone with zero deal experience of this type, should I be trying to learn anything at all before I begin, or just get working once work starts and be ready to learn then?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:52 am

Thanks for your helpful thread, itbdvorm. You said that trans. > lit. for exit options. Do you think that this still hold true for the lower end of the v100/lower Chambers bands?

Also, how do you think NYC SA hiring has shifted each year from 2010-present? Is it a discernible trend, or is each year different? If the latter, would you be able to elaborate? I'm trying to get a sense of what the data from each year means translated to present prospects.

Is there any point is pre-OCI mass mailing to firms that you are bidding on?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Resume question for someone looking to do big law in LA. I've heard from multiple people that if you want to do big law in LA you should not have any entertainment work on your resume because if firms see entertainment work they think you are going to jump ship to the entertainment industry after a few years. I get that they wouldn't want to invest money in me long term if the thought I was going to leave, but I have an externship set up with a major tv/movie studio legal department (think Fox, CBS, Warner Bros) for the fall and I'm doing it because I want to get some practical transactional work. I don't want to do entertainment law long term, so should I not put that I have this externship on my resume and pretend like I'm not doing it? Or would it be fine to have it on my resume and sell it as me wanting some transactional experience? Long term I want to do litigation, but I think it's important to be well-rounded and get as much experience as possible.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Go hard at the firms that do entertainment work I guess

Your goals are a bit jumbled though. If you want to be a litigator, why aren't you trying a litigation externship?

My summer job right now is doing all litigation work, so I wanted to have some transactional experience before starting in a summer associate position where I will likely be evaluated on the work I do in different practice areas since a lot firms rotate associates. Is this a dumb plan? My main goal is just be as prepared as I can be.

I don't think your summer associate position will expect you to be an expert in transactional. Not a dumb plan, just not necessary. can't speak to overall impact of the externship, but I liked transactional better than corporate anyway...

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:36 pm

townizm wrote:I have foreign EE degree. Does it have disadvantage compare to US degree?

no, but the phrasing of this question suggests potential issues

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:36 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Alive97 wrote:If my only practice interest is in a certain area, and I have relevant job experience, is it reasonable to expect I can get hired on that basis, or is the firm mostly assigning new associates into whatever area it has current needs for?

Not my thread, but my guess is OP will need more info. How big is the firm? Does it have a practice group in that area? Is that group likely to need additional associates? Have you made your interest in working with that group known? Are there likely to be multiple new associates who have done so?

Yes, this.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How difficult would it be to get interviews in NYC coming from a Canadian school? I'd love the opportunity to work in the world's leading legal market on huge transactions that we simply don't get in Canada.

My school is on the west coast, and my 1L grades were in the top 5 in my class (class size 180+). Nearly 10 years of WE in hospitality and restaurants around the country as well as abroad including management roles. A bunch of ECs in school but nothing standout.

Are there any key things that I should really focus on or avoid in my cover letter to increase my chances?

presumably doable

I'd focus on the outstanding performance in the cover letter

does your school host NY firms? anyone go to a top firm from your school recently? talk to career services

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was curious what your thoughts are on clerking. Obviously, I realize it tends to be a useful and valuable experience. There is much on this site detailing the pros and cons.

I was wondering, do you think associates with clerkships, given the bonuses they receive, are given slightly more leeway with respect to firms possibly downsizing in the future?

Do you think two-years of clerking and coming in as a 3rd year associate is better/worse for developing a career in law at a firm? I recently spoke to someone who is a 4th year associate after two years of clerking. He suggested it was hard at first to get substantive work given his newness at the firm, despite his junior status. It seems to be a strange transition and perhaps harder to built a report with partners/clients. Care to shed any light?

Quality wins.

Clerking is a great piece of a resume and careers are long.

If you want to clerk, clerk.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So am at a NYC firm for the summer, and I noticed a lot of schmoozing. I mean it's understandable that summers want to get to know the attorneys, but sometimes it just seems like a lot. Was wondering if this is necessary to get ahead or get work?

People like to work with people they like

But even moreso, they like to work with people who are good

If talent is equal, schmoozing wins. If talent is unequal, talent usually wins, but sometimes exceptional schmoozing can win.

This is known as "life"

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Starting at a V5 firm this coming fall. However, I'll be starting in M&A, a practice group that I did zero work for over the summer.

Does this change anything for me going in as a new associate, in terms of setting a reputation or the expectations they have for me? For someone with zero deal experience of this type, should I be trying to learn anything at all before I begin, or just get working once work starts and be ready to learn then?

Let me ask you a question:

If you knew you were leading off for the New York Yankees in Game 1 of the World Series on October 1st, would you:

a) do no preparation in advance
b) spend hours every day taking batting practice between now and then

Is the approach in b) necessary? No...but it does create a greater likelihood of getting a hit.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for your helpful thread, itbdvorm. You said that trans. > lit. for exit options. Do you think that this still hold true for the lower end of the v100/lower Chambers bands?

Also, how do you think NYC SA hiring has shifted each year from 2010-present? Is it a discernible trend, or is each year different? If the latter, would you be able to elaborate? I'm trying to get a sense of what the data from each year means translated to present prospects.

Is there any point is pre-OCI mass mailing to firms that you are bidding on?

Trans is better than lit for exit options everywhere, at least as far as I can tell.

Really can't speak to the broad trends, but I think shifts are subtle over time.

I think mass mailing is a good idea, even if it includes "I hope to meet with you, I am very interested in you because of X though"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:05 pm

I'm curious if you could shine some light on the best/worst areas in a big firm to begin working in with respect to both hours and longevity. I've read on here that M&A can be crushing and that litigation can be more stable. I'm curious also what group is the most intellectually challenging/least? What area, if any, do associates last the longest in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 am

I need some good reasons to demonstrate my interests in litigation. I just found litigation more interesting for daily work- compared to the transaction assignment i got during summer, I have a much higher excitement level doing basic R&W. But really that is my only reason- I'd like to be in a profession in which I wake up feeling encouraged and motivated. And I found litigation work generally more intellectually challenging than trans stuff. i feel like there is a hierarchy in legal profession, and among those most elitist jobs are predominantly litigation. But eliticism is not a good reason. Perhaps people in lit are so freaking smart? That is my belief.

Also, I need some good highlights in my personalities- as in the describing myself that oozes a level of intimacy and "real-me", but still not striking people as "that's irrelevant in a job setting": Is hard-working too irrelevant as in everyone works hard? (But I really am), I don't think I'm talented in being a trial lawyer or anything, what other aspects of my personalities will make you instinctively like a person more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I need some good reasons to demonstrate my interests in litigation. I just found litigation more interesting for daily work- compared to the transaction assignment i got during summer, I have a much higher excitement level doing basic R&W. But really that is my only reason- I'd like to be in a profession in which I wake up feeling encouraged and motivated. And I found litigation work generally more intellectually challenging than trans stuff. i feel like there is a hierarchy in legal profession, and among those most elitist jobs are predominantly litigation. But eliticism is not a good reason. Perhaps people in lit are so freaking smart? That is my belief.

Also, I need some good highlights in my personalities- as in the describing myself that oozes a level of intimacy and "real-me", but still not striking people as "that's irrelevant in a job setting": Is hard-working too irrelevant as in everyone works hard? (But I really am), I don't think I'm talented in being a trial lawyer or anything, what other aspects of my personalities will make you instinctively like a person more?

Anybody who has some thoughts can jump in and answer this, help please

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I need some good reasons to demonstrate my interests in litigation. I just found litigation more interesting for daily work- compared to the transaction assignment i got during summer, I have a much higher excitement level doing basic R&W. But really that is my only reason- I'd like to be in a profession in which I wake up feeling encouraged and motivated. And I found litigation work generally more intellectually challenging than trans stuff. i feel like there is a hierarchy in legal profession, and among those most elitist jobs are predominantly litigation. But eliticism is not a good reason. Perhaps people in lit are so freaking smart? That is my belief.

I don't really understand this post, but I'll try.

If you're interested in litigation - and your experiences proved it to you - that should be enough. No one is overly judgy about why you pick, so long as you can discuss your own viewpoints based upon something real. But something real should be (as it is for you) practical experience, not PERRY MASON

Your elitist/so freaking smart comment seems silly to me, but hey.

Good highlights in your personality is impossible to know without knowing you.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious if you could shine some light on the best/worst areas in a big firm to begin working in with respect to both hours and longevity. I've read on here that M&A can be crushing and that litigation can be more stable. I'm curious also what group is the most intellectually challenging/least? What area, if any, do associates last the longest in?

Associates last the longest in areas they are good at and are committed to. And the firm is busy in.

So find what you find interesting and where you like the people.

I personally believe M&A, tax, appellate lit are among the most intellectually stimulating. Banking and cap markets seem to be a bit more rote; I think you can "master" earlier but lower ceiling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm currently working in government at the state level and I would like to lateral to a mid-sized law firm. I have noticed that a lot of these firms (30-60 attorneys) tend to have a lot of partners and few associates. Do you have any insight into why that is and whether it is a good or bad thing? What, if anything, does it say about my prospects of making partner in the future?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 pm

When you say that tax can be among the more intellectually stimulating- do you mean tax controversy work or corporate tax work? Asking as I am interested in tax, but am definitely worried about the stimulating part. Thank you.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently working in government at the state level and I would like to lateral to a mid-sized law firm. I have noticed that a lot of these firms (30-60 attorneys) tend to have a lot of partners and few associates. Do you have any insight into why that is and whether it is a good or bad thing? What, if anything, does it say about my prospects of making partner in the future?

My guess is few of them are "true" partners - but having the title helps many things

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you say that tax can be among the more intellectually stimulating- do you mean tax controversy work or corporate tax work? Asking as I am interested in tax, but am definitely worried about the stimulating part. Thank you.

Both, presumably. Pretty nuanced.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm

itbdvorm wrote:Let me ask you a question:

If you knew you were leading off for the New York Yankees in Game 1 of the World Series on October 1st, would you:

Is the approach in b) necessary? No...but it does create a greater likelihood of getting a hit.

I was the OP for the question. Thanks for this!

Anything you'd try to learn from in particular, if you were coming into M&A? It's a predominantly public M&A practice. Anything in particular beyond staying on top of financial news and brushing up on Corporations/Delaware law re: M&A?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:Let me ask you a question:

I was the OP for the question. Thanks for this!

Anything you'd try to learn from in particular, if you were coming into M&A? It's a predominantly public M&A practice. Anything in particular beyond staying on top of financial news and brushing up on Corporations/Delaware law re: M&A?

I think that'd be a strong start. Watch a few minutes of CNBC in the morning / read the WSJ. Read a public company merger agreement or two, or maybe some articles. You've got months to prepare - use them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 pm

During an interview for a particular position, and after making rounds with all the interviews with lower level associates, if towards the end a founding partner asks you for your preferred area of law and then gives you an impromptu interview with that department's partner, it is a good sign right? Or is this more common than I thought? I am trying to figure out what led him to make this gesture to someone whom he met 5 minutes ago.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 pm

I have 15 screeners coming up at Loyola Patent Fair. I am thinking to research every listed interviewer and ask them about their practice, cases, papers; I might also ask about the firm and the past projects. What I wanted to know was, at what point is it too awkward? Like if I ask about past papers or cases, is it possible that they may not remember and thus my questions will make the interview weird? I want to seem prepared and like I cared and put a lot of thought into this, but I don't want to seem robotic and creepy, I guess. Any thoughts, please?

Return to “Legal Employment”