V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asked elsewhere, want to see your opinion. Rising 2L (Top 25% at a T1 & LR) massmailing pre-OCI. Was told by a firm that my school had told them not to interview candidates from my school prior to OCI. Soft ding or real request?


Not sure. Assume the latter for your own sanity

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Asked elsewhere, want to see your opinion. Rising 2L (Top 25% at a T1 & LR) massmailing pre-OCI. Was told by a firm that my school had told them not to interview candidates from my school prior to OCI. Soft ding or real request?


Not sure. Assume the latter for your own sanity


Same OP.

Does that mean I should stop mass mass-mailing?

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:02 pm

itbdvorm,

how've your hours been since making partner? quality of life in general? any noticeable changes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm

itbdvorm wrote:In response to a PM (thought could be useful for others):

Yes, I think Brexit will seriously affect the Magic Circle firms, at least in the near-term (and possibly permanently). With so much of their revenues denominated in pounds, this will really put a hurt on the overseas/US expansion plans. If you're a UK firm trying to make inroads into NYC (as all of them except Slaughters are trying to do), your ability to invest in dollars with a seriously weakened pound is going to be drastically limited. So either you're going to cut back on US investment (leaving the people here out to dry) or stay the course (hurting your profitability and making it more likely that some top folks in the UK pursue other opportunities).

Great opportunity for the US firms with serious UK presences (Latham, Skadden, Cleary, etc.) to poach some of the top talent from the Magic Circle.


Thanks for the really useful insight, and the last line really caught my eye. I assumed that US firms with a serious presence in the UK would be hurt by a post-Brexit business slowdown just as much as the Magic Circle. As a US student heading into recruitment season and now reconsidering a London focus, I assumed any UK office of any nationality was in a bad place. Am I right that you think US firms won't really suffer?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Asked elsewhere, want to see your opinion. Rising 2L (Top 25% at a T1 & LR) massmailing pre-OCI. Was told by a firm that my school had told them not to interview candidates from my school prior to OCI. Soft ding or real request?


Not sure. Assume the latter for your own sanity


Same OP.

Does that mean I should stop mass mass-mailing?


Nope. Not all firms may have received that message, and not all will listen.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:59 pm

pancakes3 wrote:itbdvorm,

how've your hours been since making partner? quality of life in general? any noticeable changes?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:In response to a PM (thought could be useful for others):

Yes, I think Brexit will seriously affect the Magic Circle firms, at least in the near-term (and possibly permanently). With so much of their revenues denominated in pounds, this will really put a hurt on the overseas/US expansion plans. If you're a UK firm trying to make inroads into NYC (as all of them except Slaughters are trying to do), your ability to invest in dollars with a seriously weakened pound is going to be drastically limited. So either you're going to cut back on US investment (leaving the people here out to dry) or stay the course (hurting your profitability and making it more likely that some top folks in the UK pursue other opportunities).

Great opportunity for the US firms with serious UK presences (Latham, Skadden, Cleary, etc.) to poach some of the top talent from the Magic Circle.


Thanks for the really useful insight, and the last line really caught my eye. I assumed that US firms with a serious presence in the UK would be hurt by a post-Brexit business slowdown just as much as the Magic Circle. As a US student heading into recruitment season and now reconsidering a London focus, I assumed any UK office of any nationality was in a bad place. Am I right that you think US firms won't really suffer?


I don't. I actually think those are the ones who may get a boost here (as clients will have loads of questions regarding potential issues, transitioning businesses, opening up new outposts in other parts of Europe, etc.)

I expect the US firms with roughly "self-sufficient" UK branches will be fine, as the hit to the exchange rate of the pound should defray almost any costs of having less work. The firms where the UK branches are really funding the rest of the operation (i.e., Magic Circle) are going to take a big hit, as suddenly the NY outpost is 20% more expensive and still not really sending $$$ back

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:itbdvorm,

how've your hours been since making partner? quality of life in general? any noticeable changes?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y


Company man, no wonder you made pathern.

yay
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby yay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 pm

how do you feel about applicants who directly send you their application material? If an applicant did this because he/she really thought you had a lot in common with them, say same undergrad, interest, awards, etc., and thought they might mesh well working under you, would you feel differently?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

yay wrote:how do you feel about applicants who directly send you their application material? If an applicant did this because he/she really thought you had a lot in common with them, say same undergrad, interest, awards, etc., and thought they might mesh well working under you, would you feel differently?


Unless the cover letter begins with something like "my father, [TITLE] of [CLIENT], suggested I pass along my materials to you" I generally just forward to recruiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:14 am

For 3L fall hiring, to increase the sheer possibilities of being hired, do you paint yourself as a dedicated litigator or transactional lawyer? Provided that resume can be crafted in two different ways.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:For 3L fall hiring, to increase the sheer possibilities of being hired, do you paint yourself as a dedicated litigator or transactional lawyer? Provided that resume can be crafted in two different ways.


Would have more specifics. I want to do X, you are great at X, here's why I love X and think I would do well with you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Resume question for someone looking to do big law in LA. I've heard from multiple people that if you want to do big law in LA you should not have any entertainment work on your resume because if firms see entertainment work they think you are going to jump ship to the entertainment industry after a few years. I get that they wouldn't want to invest money in me long term if the thought I was going to leave, but I have an externship set up with a major tv/movie studio legal department (think Fox, CBS, Warner Bros) for the fall and I'm doing it because I want to get some practical transactional work. I don't want to do entertainment law long term, so should I not put that I have this externship on my resume and pretend like I'm not doing it? Or would it be fine to have it on my resume and sell it as me wanting some transactional experience? Long term I want to do litigation, but I think it's important to be well-rounded and get as much experience as possible.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered:

If I am interested in DC (solidly top 10% at a lower T14) and want to do litigation work, does it hurt me to only express interest in civil litigation and not a secondary interest in another practice area (say, antitrust or regulatory work, or even white collar). I am not going to say I want to do appellate. And I would, of course, be happy to take assignments from other groups as needed early on. I just don't want to get forever stuck in a transactional group a year or two in.

I feel torn because I have a true preference for civil litigation and can explain my background in a way that makes a lot of sense for lit. On the one hand, a clearly articulated interest might be a good thing. But, I don't want to be too narrow with my interests and hurt my chances.

Thanks!

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Resume question for someone looking to do big law in LA. I've heard from multiple people that if you want to do big law in LA you should not have any entertainment work on your resume because if firms see entertainment work they think you are going to jump ship to the entertainment industry after a few years. I get that they wouldn't want to invest money in me long term if the thought I was going to leave, but I have an externship set up with a major tv/movie studio legal department (think Fox, CBS, Warner Bros) for the fall and I'm doing it because I want to get some practical transactional work. I don't want to do entertainment law long term, so should I not put that I have this externship on my resume and pretend like I'm not doing it? Or would it be fine to have it on my resume and sell it as me wanting some transactional experience? Long term I want to do litigation, but I think it's important to be well-rounded and get as much experience as possible.

Thanks for any advice you might have!


Go hard at the firms that do entertainment work I guess

Your goals are a bit jumbled though. If you want to be a litigator, why aren't you trying a litigation externship?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked and answered:

If I am interested in DC (solidly top 10% at a lower T14) and want to do litigation work, does it hurt me to only express interest in civil litigation and not a secondary interest in another practice area (say, antitrust or regulatory work, or even white collar). I am not going to say I want to do appellate. And I would, of course, be happy to take assignments from other groups as needed early on. I just don't want to get forever stuck in a transactional group a year or two in.

I feel torn because I have a true preference for civil litigation and can explain my background in a way that makes a lot of sense for lit. On the one hand, a clearly articulated interest might be a good thing. But, I don't want to be too narrow with my interests and hurt my chances.

Thanks!


If that's what you really want to do, while it may hurt you in places you wouldn't want to work at, it probably would help you land a spot that makes sense for you

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:56 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Resume question for someone looking to do big law in LA. I've heard from multiple people that if you want to do big law in LA you should not have any entertainment work on your resume because if firms see entertainment work they think you are going to jump ship to the entertainment industry after a few years. I get that they wouldn't want to invest money in me long term if the thought I was going to leave, but I have an externship set up with a major tv/movie studio legal department (think Fox, CBS, Warner Bros) for the fall and I'm doing it because I want to get some practical transactional work. I don't want to do entertainment law long term, so should I not put that I have this externship on my resume and pretend like I'm not doing it? Or would it be fine to have it on my resume and sell it as me wanting some transactional experience? Long term I want to do litigation, but I think it's important to be well-rounded and get as much experience as possible.

Thanks for any advice you might have!


Go hard at the firms that do entertainment work I guess

Your goals are a bit jumbled though. If you want to be a litigator, why aren't you trying a litigation externship?


My summer job right now is doing all litigation work, so I wanted to have some transactional experience before starting in a summer associate position where I will likely be evaluated on the work I do in different practice areas since a lot firms rotate associates. Is this a dumb plan? My main goal is just be as prepared as I can be.

townizm
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:58 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby townizm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:03 pm

I have foreign EE degree. Does it have disadvantage compare to US degree?

Alive97
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Alive97 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:15 pm

If my only practice interest is in a certain area, and I have relevant job experience, is it reasonable to expect I can get hired on that basis, or is the firm mostly assigning new associates into whatever area it has current needs for?

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:42 am

Alive97 wrote:If my only practice interest is in a certain area, and I have relevant job experience, is it reasonable to expect I can get hired on that basis, or is the firm mostly assigning new associates into whatever area it has current needs for?

Not my thread, but my guess is OP will need more info. How big is the firm? Does it have a practice group in that area? Is that group likely to need additional associates? Have you made your interest in working with that group known? Are there likely to be multiple new associates who have done so?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:39 pm

So am at a NYC firm for the summer, and I noticed a lot of schmoozing. I mean it's understandable that summers want to get to know the attorneys, but sometimes it just seems like a lot. Was wondering if this is necessary to get ahead or get work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:55 pm

How difficult would it be to get interviews in NYC coming from a Canadian school? I'd love the opportunity to work in the world's leading legal market on huge transactions that we simply don't get in Canada.

My school is on the west coast, and my 1L grades were in the top 5 in my class (class size 180+). Nearly 10 years of WE in hospitality and restaurants around the country as well as abroad including management roles. A bunch of ECs in school but nothing standout.

Are there any key things that I should really focus on or avoid in my cover letter to increase my chances?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I was curious what your thoughts are on clerking. Obviously, I realize it tends to be a useful and valuable experience. There is much on this site detailing the pros and cons.

I was wondering, do you think associates with clerkships, given the bonuses they receive, are given slightly more leeway with respect to firms possibly downsizing in the future?

Do you think two-years of clerking and coming in as a 3rd year associate is better/worse for developing a career in law at a firm? I recently spoke to someone who is a 4th year associate after two years of clerking. He suggested it was hard at first to get substantive work given his newness at the firm, despite his junior status. It seems to be a strange transition and perhaps harder to built a report with partners/clients. Care to shed any light?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Interview suit pants. How much break?

User avatar
barkschool
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby barkschool » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview suit pants. How much break?


Somewhere between very slight and half.

Make sure your pants are appropriately tapered, that's more important. If your tailor doesn't know what that is, get a new tailor.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.