V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
roranoa

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby roranoa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:42 pm

Congrats! I've been following this thread for quite awhile and I always thought you'd make partner someday :D

Btw, may I ask how old you are? 'Cuz I'm thinking you're not even in your 40's. are you in your mid 30's?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:06 pm

roranoa wrote:Congrats! I've been following this thread for quite awhile and I always thought you'd make partner someday :D

Btw, may I ask how old you are? 'Cuz I'm thinking you're not even in your 40's. are you in your mid 30's?

Not getting into specifics, but yes - in my 30s

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:00 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
smaug wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:breakfast.jpg

idgi. please enlighten.

it's from a terrible misogynistic racist (yet, entertaining) message board called autoadmit. The gist of it is that a poster there referred to a breakfast meeting where senior associates were informed that they made partner. If you didn't get invited to the meeting, you didn't make partner. Hence, no breakfast.

I've also noticed that more and more people on TLS are posting w/ autoadmit type mannerisms. Just doesn't quite have the same effect on TLS though, likely b/c you just can't be as hateful, bitter, or cynical on TLS as you can be on autoadmit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Congratulations! This thread was very helpful in prepping for OCI (which worked out swimmingly).

I do have a question though. As an SA from less-prestigious (T2) school, should I be more concerned about keeping grades up during 2L so as not to invite a no-offer? I know some firms are considered more "grade conscious" than others, but it's hard to find anything beyond anecdote. I finished in the top 1% of my class last year, and accepted an SA with my top choice firm, but I'm worried that I may be afforded less leeway than my T14 brethren in keeping my grades up. The firm is V50, home office in a secondary market. All of last year's SAs were offered, but there have been a couple of no-offers over the last couple of years according to NALP. My school tends to place one or two people at this firm each year, if that's relevant. Thanks in advance, and congratulations again.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations! This thread was very helpful in prepping for OCI (which worked out swimmingly).

I do have a question though. As an SA from less-prestigious (T2) school, should I be more concerned about keeping grades up during 2L so as not to invite a no-offer? I know some firms are considered more "grade conscious" than others, but it's hard to find anything beyond anecdote. I finished in the top 1% of my class last year, and accepted an SA with my top choice firm, but I'm worried that I may be afforded less leeway than my T14 brethren in keeping my grades up. The firm is V50, home office in a secondary market. All of last year's SAs were offered, but there have been a couple of no-offers over the last couple of years according to NALP. My school tends to place one or two people at this firm each year, if that's relevant. Thanks in advance, and congratulations again.

"Maybe"

Talk to whomever went there from your school last year. My guess is you'll be fine so long as you continue doing "well".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi, thanks for all the help and congrats on your partnership.

I'm an international student and I've recently heard something very disturbing in terms of salary policy for foreigners.

Is it true that international students (foreigners) are given a lower salary at Biglaw b/c of their foreigner status? Someone told me that Biglaw uses the visa permits as leverage to negotiate their salary to a much lower number.

Is this real? Can you confirm this?

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:43 am

do you think a major lateral in your career would have hurt your chances in making partner? Say, you started at your current firm 3 years later?

Also, sorry if it's stated earlier, but what sort of firm? Like, approximate Amlaw range?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, thanks for all the help and congrats on your partnership.

I'm an international student and I've recently heard something very disturbing in terms of salary policy for foreigners.

Is it true that international students (foreigners) are given a lower salary at Biglaw b/c of their foreigner status? Someone told me that Biglaw uses the visa permits as leverage to negotiate their salary to a much lower number.

Is this real? Can you confirm this?

Never heard of this before.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:52 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:do you think a major lateral in your career would have hurt your chances in making partner? Say, you started at your current firm 3 years later?

Also, sorry if it's stated earlier, but what sort of firm? Like, approximate Amlaw range?

First question: maybe. Very hard to tell. I do think I developed a great reputation early, but it's something that continues growing over time. If everything else shook out otherwise I don't think much would have changed.

Second question: it's in the title.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Now that you're a partner, when is NYC going to 190k?

DELG

Postby DELG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Now that you're a partner, when is NYC going to 190k?

Yeah but seriously what do people say about this? Any concern expressed someone else might move?

Alive97

Postby Alive97 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Would you value eDiscovery work experience with solid responsibility and technical skills for someone who wants to practice in eDiscovery/data-related areas?

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:10 am

What's the approx value of your portable book of business?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now that you're a partner, when is NYC going to 190k?

Yeah but seriously what do people say about this? Any concern expressed someone else might move?

no idea

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Alive97 wrote:Would you value eDiscovery work experience with solid responsibility and technical skills for someone who wants to practice in eDiscovery/data-related areas?

Sure? Not something I know anything about

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:What's the approx value of your portable book of business?

Not much

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 pm

when considering a lateral candidate from another elite firm or clerkship, how much do you consider upper year grades/transcript? the particular situation is a strong 1L/2L record with a clerkship for after graduation but much worse 3L grades

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when considering a lateral candidate from another elite firm or clerkship, how much do you consider upper year grades/transcript? the particular situation is a strong 1L/2L record with a clerkship for after graduation but much worse 3L grades

I think we would look, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor. Depends what "much worse" means, and at what school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:when considering a lateral candidate from another elite firm or clerkship, how much do you consider upper year grades/transcript? the particular situation is a strong 1L/2L record with a clerkship for after graduation but much worse 3L grades

I think we would look, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor. Depends what "much worse" means, and at what school

A top school, much worse being like median during those semesters (missing honors for that year) after two years of way above median.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

A top school, much worse being like median during those semesters (missing honors for that year) after two years of way above median.

Fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:37 pm

Will working for a Federal Magistrate Judge instead of an Article III Judge 1L Summer hurt me at OCI? Have an interview set up already and the internship would be in my ideal city. I figure a DC judge would be a little more prestigious but the difference should be negligible, right?

T14, no grades yet.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will working for a Federal Magistrate Judge instead of an Article III Judge 1L Summer hurt me at OCI? Have an interview set up already and the internship would be in my ideal city. I figure a DC judge would be a little more prestigious but the difference should be negligible, right?

T14, no grades yet.

absent an extremely political 1L summer job, no legal internship can really hurt you for OCI. If you strike out, it'd be because of myriad other reasons, not because your internship wasn't prestigious enough for Wachtell

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken your username was itbottom? I posted before and now am back for some more suggestions. 2l right now, struck out at OCI, now found a summer gig at a mid-law in my market( not NYC). This firm is good at my interested area (band 1) and have some great attorneys.

However, I still want biglaw after graduation; Moreover, I consider the summer firm a risky option for final employment. They do not show a consistent record of hiring their summer class, and majority of their current associates are laterals from biglaws. I'm considering a list of things that I might be able to do: massmail to NYC firms, clerkship in lower state court( provided my grades aint gonna get me prestigious clerkship), 3L OCI, or a NYU tax llm ( preference in that order). The final goal is still biglaw, biglaw, biglaw.

background:
BC/BU, female Hispanic, shitty college, current law school GPA top 25%, secondary journal, been networking a lot( I consider I did everything I can in terms of networking, lunches, CLEs, speaking engagement, periodical updates...). I have multiple relevant experiences in my interested practice area. The practice area has been booming but not sure whether/ how the market will change.

questions:
1. is there an efficient way to network in NYC when I'm not in NYC? In another word, I'm not a member of those NY Bar associations, and the only possible way would be to ask alumni in NYC who might be interested in meeting me. This route is costly and inefficient, as I've done so many lunches and it's not because of those lunches that finally got me a summer job
-the reason i'm focusing on NYC is because I presume thats the only market hiring massive amount of 3Ls

2. whats the best way to know all the biglaws that are considering hiring 3Ls? when should I flush their mailboxes with my application? after I got my grades for this semester or right now?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm not mistaken your username was itbottom? I posted before and now am back for some more suggestions. 2l right now, struck out at OCI, now found a summer gig at a mid-law in my market( not NYC). This firm is good at my interested area (band 1) and have some great attorneys.

However, I still want biglaw after graduation; Moreover, I consider the summer firm a risky option for final employment. They do not show a consistent record of hiring their summer class, and majority of their current associates are laterals from biglaws. I'm considering a list of things that I might be able to do: massmail to NYC firms, clerkship in lower state court( provided my grades aint gonna get me prestigious clerkship), 3L OCI, or a NYU tax llm ( preference in that order). The final goal is still biglaw, biglaw, biglaw.

background:
BC/BU, female Hispanic, shitty college, current law school GPA top 25%, secondary journal, been networking a lot( I consider I did everything I can in terms of networking, lunches, CLEs, speaking engagement, periodical updates...). I have multiple relevant experiences in my interested practice area. The practice area has been booming but not sure whether/ how the market will change.

questions:
1. is there an efficient way to network in NYC when I'm not in NYC? In another word, I'm not a member of those NY Bar associations, and the only possible way would be to ask alumni in NYC who might be interested in meeting me. This route is costly and inefficient, as I've done so many lunches and it's not because of those lunches that finally got me a summer job
-the reason i'm focusing on NYC is because I presume thats the only market hiring massive amount of 3Ls

2. whats the best way to know all the biglaws that are considering hiring 3Ls? when should I flush their mailboxes with my application? after I got my grades for this semester or right now?

Without a doubt, your best chance for a 3L hire is going to be a personal recommendation from a friend at a big firm.

But I think a federal court clerkship is your best bet to improve your permanent position if it's litigation related.

However - any reason why you don't think working for your firm (best in the market in a non-NYC market) is a bad idea? Could be a good spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm

I'm the anon above

Thanks for your response. I'm wondering to whom should I reach out in terms of asking a LOR? Partners or associates? How do I spot such people..? Is that recommendation based on the precondition that I do a lot of work for them? I believe we have an assignment-dispatching person who would make sure I have even assignment from each group. When should I bring it up to them..?

The firm has perfect regional reputation in my region, but my major concern is that they don't hire entry-level at all. Second off I want to relocate to NYC.

Return to “Legal Employment”