V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Your grades are immaterial at this point (maybe will be something that will be considered afterwards but it shouldn't affect your prep before a CB), and you gain nothing from feeling "inadequate" going into your CB. There are plenty of cases where people have outperformed their numbers and you should feel like you're capable of doing that too.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just received every single one of the dings from all the firms I interviewed with. That means the official finale of my recruiting season. I have applied over 200 firms, covered every single firms on nalp with not one screener back. I honestly dont know what else I can do in terms of hustling.

a) have you talked to career services? that's unusual.

b) need more info about your profile. are you at a big school, small school, t14, ttt? are you top of the class, bottom of the class? where do people from your school/your profile normally go?

c) you can do more. you can ALWAYS do more, until you have a job. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE. don't give up.

1. i did mock interviews and they said Ive got good answers for each question and i chose good stories to tell. did alumni-mock interview and a junior person said he would have ranked me as "highly likely to fit in".
2. BC/BU. top 50% secondary journal. solid work experience before, federal clerkship. Not super weird during interviews, guess the big problem that i had on hindsight is I was too serious, i tried to be sincere and look career- oriented. guess its all about numbers at certain point.
3. what can I do for now.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just received every single one of the dings from all the firms I interviewed with. That means the official finale of my recruiting season. I have applied over 200 firms, covered every single firms on nalp with not one screener back. I honestly dont know what else I can do in terms of hustling.

a) have you talked to career services? that's unusual.

b) need more info about your profile. are you at a big school, small school, t14, ttt? are you top of the class, bottom of the class? where do people from your school/your profile normally go?

c) you can do more. you can ALWAYS do more, until you have a job. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE. don't give up.

1. i did mock interviews and they said Ive got good answers for each question and i chose good stories to tell. did alumni-mock interview and a junior person said he would have ranked me as "highly likely to fit in".
2. BC/BU. top 50% secondary journal. solid work experience before, federal clerkship. Not super weird during interviews, guess the big problem that i had on hindsight is I was too serious, i tried to be sincere and look career- oriented. guess its all about numbers at certain point.
3. what can I do for now.

I didn't ask anything about mock interviews. I asked if you talked to career services about your situation.

There are thousands of law firms in the Boston area. I have zero idea whether top 50% at BC/BU is good enough for a Vault 100 / Amlaw 200 firm, but have you applied to every single one of them? If not, do it. If so, do more. Talk to 3Ls. HUSTLE. GET AFTER IT. I have no idea what you should do but you should be talking to EVERYONE and asking them for help. GOVERNMENT. PUBLIC INTEREST. ACADEMIA. HUSTLE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 pm

I know the issue of thank you notes has been debated to death and has no consensus, but after getting rejected 2/2 of my callbacks so far I thought I would give it a try.

My question is, how do we address them? Mr.? Ms.? Mrs. if we know they're married? Or by there first time? It seems like all the attorneys I met with wanted me to call them by their first names, but it feels too informal (especially for the more senior, counsel, and partner type) for me. It also feels weird to have called them by their first name (or had them introduce themselves to you by their first name) and then call themselves something else in the email.

Any advice on this? Is there a standard practice that I'm not aware of?

Also any general tips on phrasing, and substance (yes I know, make it personal) would be very much appreciated.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on this? Is there a standard practice that I'm not aware of?

The standard practice is not to send thank-you notes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on this? Is there a standard practice that I'm not aware of?

I really tried to do my research on this, and I thought the consensus was there was no consensus?

And what about sending it to certain interviewers but not all (is that rude?)

I am just really worried that I am going to be stuck with nothing but a handful of rejections, and the last thing I want is some weird back corner of my mind telling me that maybe if I had taken the time to write thank you, that maybe even one rejection could have been swayed (typing it out I see how dumb it sounds..)

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Dear [First Name],

but really don't do it you're going to make things worse and people already have their minds made up after the interview

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I really tried to do my research on this, and I thought the consensus was there was no consensus?

And what about sending it to certain interviewers but not all (is that rude?)

I am just really worried that I am going to be stuck with nothing but a handful of rejections, and the last thing I want is some weird back corner of my mind telling me that maybe if I had taken the time to write thank you, that maybe even one rejection could have been swayed (typing it out I see how dumb it sounds..)

No point in sending. But if you do, send to everyone, and do it VERY quickly (same day).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 pm

I had an interviewer suggest I send thank you messages. So I think it varies by firm.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:10 pm

i'm fairly confident that they will never make a positive difference

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:00 pm

My screener met me before the callback and said that my thank you had an influence in her decision and that I should send them after the callback. Got an offer from that, can't say if it had an influence. They were substantive thank you emails though

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Seems like it depends on the market, too...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 am

Do certain types of pre-law school work experiences make it really hard to get hired in biglaw? for example, working for controversial PI organizations, certain political candidates, religiously affiliated work, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:24 am

I've worked for a very controversial lobbying organization and a right leaning think tank and a GOP state wide candidate and it hasn't impacted anything, but I have been asked about all three (especially the candidate and the lobbying org). It helps that other things on my resume make it clear that it was just a coincidence that I look like a GOP nut job and that I took the most liberal 1L job possible to balance it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 am

I'm a 2L, and had a summer job with an organization that actively railed against some biglaw client interests. I was asked about it in almost every interview and explained it was a way for me to learn about the industry. I don't think it affected me negatively and I have an offer.

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:It helps that other things on my resume make it clear that it was just a coincidence that I look like a GOP nut job and that I took the most liberal 1L job possible to balance it out.

I doubt a short term summer gig counterbalanced your prior work experience... they just didn't care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:57 am

well, they were all short term internships (KJD); the apparent incongruity between the internships was brought up in a few interviews.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:well, they were all short term internships (KJD); the apparent incongruity between the internships was brought up in a few interviews.

You shouldn't have college internships on your resume that make you look like a psycho.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:07 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well, they were all short term internships (KJD); the apparent incongruity between the internships was brought up in a few interviews.

You shouldn't have college internships on your resume that make you look like a psycho.

Agree - but you should be able to spin almost anything in a workable way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:58 am

Just want to send a huge, huge thank you to Itbdvorm.

I go to a T2 and just finished the OCI process. I had very good grades but not the best interview skills. I read your advice pretty religiously and ended up doing much better at OCI than I had anticipated I would have. Your advice re: good questions to ask is probably why I have an offer at one of my top choice firms. I'm sure I'm not the only employed person as a result of your posting here. So again, thank you.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just want to send a huge, huge thank you to Itbdvorm.

I go to a T2 and just finished the OCI process. I had very good grades but not the best interview skills. I read your advice pretty religiously and ended up doing much better at OCI than I had anticipated I would have. Your advice re: good questions to ask is probably why I have an offer at one of my top choice firms. I'm sure I'm not the only employed person as a result of your posting here. So again, thank you.

Awesome - glad to hear it. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Any advice on resources to utilize when choosing between firms and second looks are not an option? Narrowed down to two big-class NYC firms which are seemingly identical on paper and I liked the people and atmosphere at both the same. Should I reach out to associates at both to ask about what their experiences have been like at the firms? Any info I should be looking at to distinguish them (both the same band on chambers for relevant practice area)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel so unqualified to make this decision haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:56 pm

At V20 firm this upcoming summer. Regretfully, I didn't select the most helpful classes this Fall (no-doctrinals). Which of the following will be most helpful/practical for someone trying to explore both transactional and litigation work:

Corporations/Business Assoc.
Tax
Corporate Tax
Evidence
Complex Civil Litigation
Mergers & Aquisitions
Bankruptcy
Secur. Trans.
Administrative Law
Various "practical" writing courses

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on resources to utilize when choosing between firms and second looks are not an option? Narrowed down to two big-class NYC firms which are seemingly identical on paper and I liked the people and atmosphere at both the same. Should I reach out to associates at both to ask about what their experiences have been like at the firms? Any info I should be looking at to distinguish them (both the same band on chambers for relevant practice area)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel so unqualified to make this decision haha.

I wouldn't reach out willy-nilly - I would suggest talking to 3Ls from your school who summered there (though they'll probably have all drunk the cool-aid) or mid-level associates (who you should set up with through recruiting, so again - grain of salt).

The reality is likely that you'll be approximately equivalently happy in both. Though you should confirm with each that you will in fact be able to get into the group - often not guaranteed

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At V20 firm this upcoming summer. Took completely esoteric non-helpful classes this Fall. What of the following are most important (essential?) to take prior to working as a 2L S.A. exploring both transactional and litigation assignments:

Corporations/Business Assoc.
Tax
Corporate Tax
Evidence
Complex Civil Litigation
Mergers & Aquisitions
Bankruptcy
Secur. Trans.
Administrative Law
Various "practical" writing courses

Thanks!

Corporations and Tax at the top. Everything else is what you want to do, but understanding corporations and tax at a basic level is a huge prerequisite.

Secured transactions / bankruptcy are also pretty good for understanding credit issues and priority.

Return to “Legal Employment”