V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
5ky

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:39 am

phildunphy wrote:You may have already touched on this, but can you suggest useful resources or training materials for incoming associates in a securities/capital markets corporate practice? I know that the best training is on the job, but I'd like to be at least somewhat familiar with IPOs and the different types of equity & debt offerings, etc. More specific resources as to the respective processes would be even better.

latham has some really good guides to various aspects. i've never looked at this before but gave it a skim and it is a pretty good overview of the IPO process.

http://media.mofo.com/docs/pdf/the-short-field-guide-to-ipos/#?page=0

follow-on equity offerings are pretty much the same except generally much less work and the disclosure documents are different.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:09 pm

phildunphy wrote:You may have already touched on this, but can you suggest useful resources or training materials for incoming associates in a securities/capital markets corporate practice? I know that the best training is on the job, but I'd like to be at least somewhat familiar with IPOs and the different types of equity & debt offerings, etc. More specific resources as to the respective processes would be even better.

Watch some CNBC. Read wall street journal. Take securities law. Read findlaw.

SEC/Edgar for good stuff too.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:10 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're asked "where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" and you honestly think you'd want to go in house/government/etc by then, is it better to say that or should you say you see yourself still at the firm? I don't want to lie but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

the one time i did it the partner flipped out and shit on in house attorneys for like 10 minutes, so probably a bad idea

I think honest but leaning towards the firm is a good way to do it. "I honestly don't know. I'm realistic enough to know that partnership prospects are increasingly difficult these days, but I'd like to start at a firm where I could potentially spend my whole career, and if it doesn't work out I'd be well positioned to explore alternative opportunities elsewhere. Where did you think you'd be when you were interviewing X years ago?"

why say that last part and not end it before that question?

Because that makes it a conversation

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

5ky wrote:

latham has some really good guides to various aspects. i've never looked at this before but gave it a skim and it is a pretty good overview of the IPO process.

http://media.mofo.com/docs/pdf/the-short-field-guide-to-ipos/#?page=0

follow-on equity offerings are pretty much the same except generally much less work and the disclosure documents are different.

Those too. Forgot about the books of jargon they do - good stuff

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:28 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Because that makes it a conversation

yep, very crucial.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 pm

As a senior, have you thought about whether you want to gun for partner or pursue other opportunities? I've heard many people say that the best time to leave a firm is around years 4-6 if you want to go to another firm and make partner, but what if you've chosen to stay and things don't work out at firm A? So as an 8th year, can you remain in private practice at other firms, or are you forced to basically go in-house/whatever at that point if you're passed over for partner at your original firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 am

If you had written a LR note/article and the interviewee mentioned it and was able to ask an insightful question or comment about it, would you be impressed? or would it seem to kiss-assy?

ETA: to be clear, the interviewer wrote the note/article, not the interviewee

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you had written a LR note/article and the interviewee mentioned it and was able to ask an insightful question or comment about it, would you be impressed? or would it seem to kiss-assy?

Tread lightly. If you have a genuine interest in the field--if, for example, you are working on a Note in the same area--then I think it's fine. In fact, the interviewer might bring it up unprompted.

But if you just skimmed the Note as part of your interview prep, I'd suggest against bringing it up. You do risk sounding "kiss-assy," as you put it. (You also risk sounding like you don't know what you're talking about, which is even worse.)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a senior, have you thought about whether you want to gun for partner or pursue other opportunities? I've heard many people say that the best time to leave a firm is around years 4-6 if you want to go to another firm and make partner, but what if you've chosen to stay and things don't work out at firm A? So as an 8th year, can you remain in private practice at other firms, or are you forced to basically go in-house/whatever at that point if you're passed over for partner at your original firm?

I think that is probably the best time to leave if you're trying to go in-house. For another firm, depends on where you are / where you're looking to go.

I would think you want to have a good sense of your own potential future at around the 4-6 year stage (and have realistic conversations with people you trust).

If you gun, and don't make it, there are different options (some of which may include making it later). If you're an 8th year not making it though you better believe the firm is going to try to place you somewhere.

As for my own status, no comment.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you had written a LR note/article and the interviewee mentioned it and was able to ask an insightful question or comment about it, would you be impressed? or would it seem to kiss-assy?

Tread lightly. If you have a genuine interest in the field--if, for example, you are working on a Note in the same area--then I think it's fine. In fact, the interviewer might bring it up unprompted.

But if you just skimmed the Note as part of your interview prep, I'd suggest against bringing it up. You do risk sounding "kiss-assy," as you put it. (You also risk sounding like you don't know what you're talking about, which is even worse.)

+1. In general, what law students really know about the law and practice is overrated. I once interviewed a candidate who seemed pretty proud of a note he had written, which had a conclusion that was (as far as I could tell) TOTALLY WRONG.

I actually would think you're better off asking surface-level questions and follow-ups then trying to show how smart you are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:40 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

+1. In general, what law students really know about the law and practice is overrated. I once interviewed a candidate who seemed pretty proud of a note he had written, which had a conclusion that was (as far as I could tell) TOTALLY WRONG.

I actually would think you're better off asking surface-level questions and follow-ups then trying to show how smart you are.

Thank you for this. I appreciate the advice.

peter2009

Postby peter2009 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:53 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a senior, have you thought about whether you want to gun for partner or pursue other opportunities? I've heard many people say that the best time to leave a firm is around years 4-6 if you want to go to another firm and make partner, but what if you've chosen to stay and things don't work out at firm A? So as an 8th year, can you remain in private practice at other firms, or are you forced to basically go in-house/whatever at that point if you're passed over for partner at your original firm?

I think that is probably the best time to leave if you're trying to go in-house. For another firm, depends on where you are / where you're looking to go.

I would think you want to have a good sense of your own potential future at around the 4-6 year stage (and have realistic conversations with people you trust).

If you gun, and don't make it, there are different options (some of which may include making it later). If you're an 8th year not making it though you better believe the firm is going to try to place you somewhere.

Is that a euphemism for forcing you to leave or do you mean if you have spent that long at the firm they will try to help you land on your feet somewhere else?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 am

peter2009 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Is that a euphemism for forcing you to leave or do you mean if you have spent that long at the firm they will try to help you land on your feet somewhere else?

I guess a little bit of both?

The reality is that you just aren't going to last for 8 years at a firm if you're not being productive. And if you are being productive, and have been there for 8 years, firms will generally try to help you transition into something else.

I think most people who don't make it - while they are certainly disappointed - are not necessarily "surprised" by it. But I know some firms are more black box than others.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 am

Because someone PM'd me about it - yes, everyone did it:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/stealth- ... e-ignored/

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:03 pm

In response to a few PMs - in short, while a firm's rumored financial performance TODAY certainly matters (KL Gates?), what a firm supposedly did/didn't do in 2009 frankly should not be taken into consideration when comparing otherwise equivalent firms.

Why? Because the odds that you are able to accurately assess what any firm did vs. any other one are virtually nil. The gaps between PR and reality are huge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Rough first semester, big upward swing second semester of 1L. For the very general question, "How are you liking law school?" or "How was 1L?" is it fair to talk about disappointment in first semester grades, changing x and y based on prof feedback, and then success in second semester? I stayed away from this during most of my screeners and just talked about what I liked about school, but now I'm doubting my decision.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rough first semester, big upward swing second semester of 1L. For the very general question, "How are you liking law school?" or "How was 1L?" is it fair to talk about disappointment in first semester grades, changing x and y based on prof feedback, and then success in second semester? I stayed away from this during most of my screeners and just talked about what I liked about school, but now I'm doubting my decision.

Only for screeners where you're at the low end of the GPA range (or below, as a hail mary). For callbacks there's no point.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:59 pm

itbdvorm,

how do ex-prosecutors do in biglaw? maybe a few years after graduating, possibly after clerking

i'm considering working at the state attorney's office for a while to polish dem der trial skills and see where I go from there.

i'm big into litigation, and one of my profs suggested going that route if I want to be a big-shot litigator. confident in court, knowing the rules of evidence well, etc

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:59 pm

foundingfather wrote:itbdvorm,

how do ex-prosecutors do in biglaw? maybe a few years after graduating, possibly after clerking

i'm considering working at the state attorney's office for a while to polish dem der trial skills and see where I go from there.

i'm big into litigation, and one of my profs suggested going that route if I want to be a big-shot litigator. confident in court, knowing the rules of evidence well, etc

It's unusual to go into big law after working in a DA or a PD office. Big law firms generally won't be interested in you.

When a prosecutor looks to go into private practice, the target is usually a local boutique that specializes in criminal defense work.

By the way, your prof isn't wrong: you will get great litigation experience as a prosecutor. But that experience is unlikely to lead to a big law associate position.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:15 pm

rpupkin wrote:
foundingfather wrote:itbdvorm,

It's unusual to go into big law after working in a DA or a PD office. Big law firms generally won't be interested in you.

When a prosecutor looks to go into private practice, the target is usually a local boutique that specializes in criminal defense work.

By the way, your prof isn't wrong: you will get great litigation experience as a prosecutor. But that experience is unlikely to lead to a big law associate position.

this seems right to me. that said, ex-AUSAs do very well. know several who went straight to partner at very good firms after years in AUSA office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I apologize since I'm sure this has been asked but I can't really find it in search.

First some precursor. I go to a T2 in NYC. At my school, you need to be top 15% + LR to get in the door at any V100s and certainly any V25s (save for a few random exceptions of people with killer connections). Despite this, almost all of the top firms come to our school for OCI or do resume collect, and only 2-3 firms I know of are flat out unwilling to give CBs/offers to people at my school. As the OCI process slowly comes to an end here in late August, I would say I have been very impressed with how the Top 10% at my school has done in securing Big Law offers.

However, I have noticed without exception that the top women in our school are significantly outperforming the top men in our school. I was in the top 1-2% of the class for GPA (unofficially but the students kind of just know and I assume people like you with years of experience would have a good estimate that I was at the very top) + Law Review + 4.0 UG GPA and certainly did well enough in this process. I got 12 CBs from OCI screeners, and a few more from resume collect/mass mailing. I ended up with 3 offers, one V20 and two V35s. Not crying, but somewhat disappointed when comparing with many of my slightly-significantly lower credentialed friends.

Most of my female friends on LR with lower GPAs did significantly better. Just as many CBs but a lot more offers. My closest female friend for example was top 5% (again unofficially) and had more CBs and an offer basically everywhere. She MAY be a better interviewer than I am, but I doubt by much if any, and she would agree. Another female friend is top 15% but on LR--she already has 5 offers and is not done yet. She is personable and has a solid resume but not so much that you would think it should make much of a difference. The other females who also seemed to get a ton of offers are clearly quiet and shy and I'd be shocked if someone like you thought they were better at interviewing than I am.

I know being a woman is an advantage for diversity reasons etc. I am curious just how big of an advantage it is. Did these women really just all outperform me drastically on interviews over and over again?
More importantly, is being a woman/even more important at a lower ranked school such as mine, where you're only going to make 1-5 offers anyway, since you get to kill two birds with one stone (add one more school to your summer program but also another female)?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize since I'm sure this has been asked but I can't really find it in search.

First some precursor. I go to a T2 in NYC. At my school, you need to be top 15% + LR to get in the door at any V100s and certainly any V25s (save for a few random exceptions of people with killer connections). Despite this, almost all of the top firms come to our school for OCI or do resume collect, and only 2-3 firms I know of are flat out unwilling to give CBs/offers to people at my school. As the OCI process slowly comes to an end here in late August, I would say I have been very impressed with how the Top 10% at my school has done in securing Big Law offers.

However, I have noticed without exception that the top women in our school are significantly outperforming the top men in our school. I was in the top 1-2% of the class for GPA (unofficially but the students kind of just know and I assume people like you with years of experience would have a good estimate that I was at the very top) + Law Review + 4.0 UG GPA and certainly did well enough in this process. I got 12 CBs from OCI screeners, and a few more from resume collect/mass mailing. I ended up with 3 offers, one V20 and two V35s. Not crying, but somewhat disappointed when comparing with many of my slightly-significantly lower credentialed friends.

Most of my female friends on LR with lower GPAs did significantly better. Just as many CBs but a lot more offers. My closest female friend for example was top 5% (again unofficially) and had more CBs and an offer basically everywhere. She MAY be a better interviewer than I am, but I doubt by much if any, and she would agree. Another female friend is top 15% but on LR--she already has 5 offers and is not done yet. She is personable and has a solid resume but not so much that you would think it should make much of a difference. The other females who also seemed to get a ton of offers are clearly quiet and shy and I'd be shocked if someone like you thought they were better at interviewing than I am.

I know being a woman is an advantage for diversity reasons etc. I am curious just how big of an advantage it is. Did these women really just all outperform me drastically on interviews over and over again?
More importantly, is being a woman/even more important at a lower ranked school such as mine, where you're only going to make 1-5 offers anyway, since you get to kill two birds with one stone (add one more school to your summer program but also another female)?

wow this is sad

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:46 pm

She MAY be a better interviewer than I am, but I doubt by much if any, and she would agree. Another female friend is top 15% but on LR--she already has 5 offers and is not done yet. She is personable and has a solid resume but not so much that you would think it should make much of a difference.

How the hell did you come to these conclusions?

Poor guy. To attend crappy law school and come out with fantastic end results, only to have to have a couple of women take... I don't even know what. More bragging rights?

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I apologize since I'm sure this has been asked but I can't really find it in search.

maybe you come off too aspie

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not crying, but somewhat disappointed when comparing with many of my slightly-significantly lower credentialed friends.

Considering you made this obsessively neurotic post, I'm gonna take a guess and say your "friends" are much more personable and adept at interviewing than you think.

Grades don't mean everything, especially considering how your performance in ConLaw, CrimLaw, or whatever you did good in has zero impact on how good of an attorney you'll be. I hope that firms would rather hire the personable person with (for the sake of argument) a 3.7 instead of the asshole with a 4.0, and based on your complaints, it seems that hiring committees share my sentiments.

Who the hell even thinks of their friends in terms of "slightly-significantly lower credentialed"?

Return to “Legal Employment”