V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14408
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 am

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^^

I'm not from the area the firm was located, how likely do you think their indifference to my resume comes from my lack of ties?


Hard to tell. I don't think it matters in NYC (as I've said before) - in more insular markets it may be a bit of an uphill battle

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:19 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it a bad thing to say answer "no" when the interviewer asks if I have any other questions? Or am I expected to squeeze every last minute out of it?

At least say something like "is there anything else you think I should know?" instead of shutting down the conversation entirely. And yeah, it's probably bad unless the interview is basically over and you've already asked a bunch of questions demonstrating that you're engaged and that you've at least read the firm's website.


Agreed. I believe I've suggested a few times some sample questions, but you absolutely should have a few in the back pocket for this moment (even just to follow-up). It's like improv - always answer yes

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:itbdvorm must work at a firm MUCH more concerned with GPA cuttoffs than mine. I'm not convinced most firms really have one.


Your firm probably has cutoffs for tier 2/3 schools tho


I think we just don't recruit at them.


I think nearly every firm has some sort of GPA cutoff, that scales by school. Some may be less set-in-stone than others, but I have to believe nearly every firm would draw some lines somewhere.

No idea what firm you are at but I am pretty confident you'd have a serious conversation with, say, #2 in the class at Rutgers. We don't do OCI there but we certainly would talk to that person.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:All his name is now itbottoms


no it isn't

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 am

just to have a planB if this recruiting season turned out to be disappointing. What is the good strategy for 2Ls for now? At least one of the top three firms in our market is expanding to the extent that they hired two 3L from our school.

I'm definitely not going to rely on 3L OCI, so is there a generally recognized good timing for us to massmailing and reaching out to people?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:just to have a planB if this recruiting season turned out to be disappointing. What is the good strategy for 2Ls for now? At least one of the top three firms in our market is expanding to the extent that they hired two 3L from our school.

I'm definitely not going to rely on 3L OCI, so is there a generally recognized good timing for us to massmailing and reaching out to people?


What I would say is (a) reach out to contacts / potential contacts NOW - get the ball rolling and (b) massmail like crazy if you don't have 7-8 callbacks post-OCI

HUSTLE. This is the most important job of your life - getting a job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:47 pm

A question I've heard comes up sometimes is "what is a challenge/problem you've faced?" and I have no idea how to answer that. Everything I can think of is way too personal to share in an interview. I'm a K-JD from a very nice area and I've been extremely lucky to have no major life obstacles. I fear that I risk looking naive and childish. What is a good response for someone like me?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A question I've heard comes up sometimes is "what is a challenge/problem you've faced?" and I have no idea how to answer that. Everything I can think of is way too personal to share in an interview. I'm a K-JD from a very nice area and I've been extremely lucky to have no major life obstacles. I fear that I risk looking naive and childish. What is a good response for someone like me?


Try harder. You've had some, somewhere. Make something personal non-personal.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A question I've heard comes up sometimes is "what is a challenge/problem you've faced?" and I have no idea how to answer that. Everything I can think of is way too personal to share in an interview. I'm a K-JD from a very nice area and I've been extremely lucky to have no major life obstacles. I fear that I risk looking naive and childish. What is a good response for someone like me?

Itbdvorm may disagree, but I think it's perfectly fine to discuss a challenge you encountered in law school. Did you have a class that was difficult for you to pick up at first? Did you, for example, bomb a midterm (or practice exam) in Torts or something? If so, explain how you changed your study habits in response to the problem.

The "challenge/problem" does not have to take the form of a profound, life-altering obstacle.
Last edited by rpupkin on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 pm

^ I take it in that context it's not a good idea to discuss how we improved grades 2nd semester after bombing 1st?

timmyd
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby timmyd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Any advice for a post clerkship candidate about to interview for a corp position? What I know about corp law I learned from BA and Sec Reg classes. Should I be beefing up my knowledge of more specialized areas such as m&a and private equity? Also, should a candidate such as myself have different, more nuanced questions prepared for the interview than a traditional oci candidate?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A question I've heard comes up sometimes is "what is a challenge/problem you've faced?" and I have no idea how to answer that. Everything I can think of is way too personal to share in an interview. I'm a K-JD from a very nice area and I've been extremely lucky to have no major life obstacles. I fear that I risk looking naive and childish. What is a good response for someone like me?

Itbdvorm may disagree, but I think it's perfectly fine to discuss a challenge you encountered in law school. Did you have a class that was difficult for you to pick up at first? Did you, for example, bomb a midterm (or practice exam) in Torts or something? If so, explain how you changed your study habits in response to the problem.

The "challenge/problem" does not have to take the form of a profound, life-altering obstacle.


Correct.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ I take it in that context it's not a good idea to discuss how we improved grades 2nd semester after bombing 1st?


I think this might be the ONLY time it'd be OK bringing up grades.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:40 pm

timmyd wrote:Any advice for a post clerkship candidate about to interview for a corp position? What I know about corp law I learned from BA and Sec Reg classes. Should I be beefing up my knowledge of more specialized areas such as m&a and private equity? Also, should a candidate such as myself have different, more nuanced questions prepared for the interview than a traditional oci candidate?


Slightly

You should have a good rationale for why you want to do corporate after years in the litigation realm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:02 pm

What advice do you all have for candidates interviewing at firms that may be considered "safeties?" I have been told that in many cases, these firms ding such applicants unless the applicant really sells an interest in that firm (making them not safeties at all).

So what are good ways to sell yourself to these kind of firms? A couple I have good narratives for, others not so much.


Also, I am at a regional school, mostly talking about mid law firms in my schools city. However, the big law perspective is probably still pertinent here.

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby BrokenMouse » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:19 am

lol
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ I take it in that context it's not a good idea to discuss how we improved grades 2nd semester after bombing 1st?


I think this might be the ONLY time it'd be OK bringing up grades.


So it's not a good idea to discuss grades during the interview even when you have great grades?

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby El Pollito » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ I take it in that context it's not a good idea to discuss how we improved grades 2nd semester after bombing 1st?


I think this might be the ONLY time it'd be OK bringing up grades.


So it's not a good idea to discuss grades during the interview even when you have great grades?

it's still weird

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:33 am

If you're asked "where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" and you honestly think you'd want to go in house/government/etc by then, is it better to say that or should you say you see yourself still at the firm? I don't want to lie but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby El Pollito » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're asked "where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" and you honestly think you'd want to go in house/government/etc by then, is it better to say that or should you say you see yourself still at the firm? I don't want to lie but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

the one time i did it the partner flipped out and shit on in house attorneys for like 10 minutes, so probably a bad idea

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What advice do you all have for candidates interviewing at firms that may be considered "safeties?" I have been told that in many cases, these firms ding such applicants unless the applicant really sells an interest in that firm (making them not safeties at all).

So what are good ways to sell yourself to these kind of firms? A couple I have good narratives for, others not so much.


Also, I am at a regional school, mostly talking about mid law firms in my schools city. However, the big law perspective is probably still pertinent here.


Key for you is to do your homework on the firm - know what sets them apart.

Every firm wants to be loved.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:Does a full ride scholarship to a well known T1 law school + significant academic and public service awards help overcome a 3.2 GPA? Would it matter if I had to work throughout law school to make ends meet and commuted 100 miles a day? Lowly socioeconomic status? how do I bring out this mitigating factor to my criminally low GPA without sounding like a sorry excuse? (i.e. cover letter)? I ask because although I was determined and motivated to do well in law school, I was simply not going to make top 10% from the get go.

Thank you sincerely


Not really. But it does make you desirable for firms that would find the GPA within range.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ I take it in that context it's not a good idea to discuss how we improved grades 2nd semester after bombing 1st?


I think this might be the ONLY time it'd be OK bringing up grades.


So it's not a good idea to discuss grades during the interview even when you have great grades?

it's still weird


Agree. How would you bring it up? "Look how awesome my grades are."

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:23 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you're asked "where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" and you honestly think you'd want to go in house/government/etc by then, is it better to say that or should you say you see yourself still at the firm? I don't want to lie but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

the one time i did it the partner flipped out and shit on in house attorneys for like 10 minutes, so probably a bad idea


I think honest but leaning towards the firm is a good way to do it. "I honestly don't know. I'm realistic enough to know that partnership prospects are increasingly difficult these days, but I'd like to start at a firm where I could potentially spend my whole career, and if it doesn't work out I'd be well positioned to explore alternative opportunities elsewhere. Where did you think you'd be when you were interviewing X years ago?"




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.