V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
minnbills

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby minnbills » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 am

JenDarby wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
minnbills wrote:Do you know anything about how big firms value bankruptcy clerkships?

I'm clerking in a decent sized market but am considering a route to NY. Right now thinking about trying to clerk again in SDNY after my current gig.

Would presume BK clerkship for SDNY would be a good thing for BK groups. But you should ask folks who are in BK, they will know more.

(anecdote!) I did an internship with an SDNY BK Judge and the clerks had a lot of trouble finding firm jobs even though both went to T10 schools and one went firm > Chi BK clerkship > SDNY BK clerkship. One ended up big law and one ended up at a small firm after both extended their clerkships to find jobs.

Damn it. Thanks though.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a few years ago and am at a well regarded big NY firm in a transactional practice (finance not M&A). I have been told by the associates and partners I work with that I'm doing an excellent job, the best jr/lower-mid level associate, pulling above my weight, etc and I have a lot of responsibility and autonomy relative to my seniority. What should I do to take advantage of my situation? I have maneuvered to have more control over which deals I work on and some senior lawyers have taken me under their wing which has yielded some advice.

I'm not naive enough to think that being a good junior/midlevel associate = partner, so that's not my plan although I am not ruling it out either. If I don't stay at the firm i would go in house probably at a bank or maybe a PE firm.

No matter what I'm going to keep working hard and doing the other things that have gotten me this far but I'm curious as to any other advice you have.

Keep cranking (though try to keep your hours up and your deals down if you can). Take out the bankers you work with. Develop good relationships w/them. Continue to check in w/partners regularly. Get better/smarter. Take stock ~1-2x a year to figure out where you are and what you think you want to do in life. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 am

Can you comment or explain more on the "keep the hours up, deals down" advice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 pm

I didn't get much traction in my own thread, hoping you can give some advice here:

i'm set to begin as a first year in a biglaw office in CA. i'm about to sit for the CA bar later this month.

my firm has huge offices in both CA and NYC, and my practice group is pretty large at both. (IE, my impression is that someone in my position would be fungible and easily transferrable between the offices, but of course i could be wrong).

would it be possible to sit for the NY bar this upcoming feb and switch over to the NY office ASAP? would my firm resent me for even asking?

i think i have a compelling reason for the switch (long term s/o works in NYC).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:42 am

All things being equal, would you rather hire someone from NYU or Penn? Or are they viewed equally? Accepted to both as transfer and was wondering which one to attend.

Once you get past penn does it make a difference? (I'm considering Columbia as well)

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:All things being equal, would you rather hire someone from NYU or Penn? Or are they viewed equally? Accepted to both as transfer and was wondering which one to attend.

Once you get past penn does it make a difference? (I'm considering Columbia as well)

Granted, the question asked was " #2 at lower t14 w/ LR v. Yale", but one of my friends actually just called the legal recruiting offices of a bunch of biglaw firms and asked your question when deciding to transfer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for taking questions, I have been reading this thread and it has been very helpful. I have some questions regarding 3L recruiting, I am at a TTT, but the top students generally do well in NY. I was in the top 5% after 1L, had some callbacks, but ultimately struck out. I have moved up a bit after 2L and am now in the top 5 of the class. I know 3L hiring is tough, and I am working on networking, mass mailing, etc. Any areas that are in higher demand right now or is it firm specific? I know corporate is big in NY, but I will work in any area where I can get a job. I know I can't say that on cover letters so I was wounding if you had any advice on the 3L search, thanks a lot.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:25 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All things being equal, would you rather hire someone from NYU or Penn? Or are they viewed equally? Accepted to both as transfer and was wondering which one to attend.

Granted, the question asked was " #2 at lower t14 w/ LR v. Yale", but one of my friends actually just called the legal recruiting offices of a bunch of biglaw firms and asked your question when deciding to transfer

For whatever it's worth (and I've said this before) - I actually think transferring HURTS most students.

Firms meeting with you at your old school WANT to hire students from that school. Firms meeting with you at your new school WANT to hire students from the NEW school, not from your OLD school.

Most firms, I believe, will (a) judge you relative to their standards from the old school and (b) be reluctant to call back too many transfer students. So that's a combination that leads to transfer students generally doing worse at the new school than they think they will.

In answer to the question above - NYU and Columbia are viewed roughly equivalently, both significantly better than Penn (which is still well regarded, just a notch below)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions, I have been reading this thread and it has been very helpful. I have some questions regarding 3L recruiting, I am at a TTT, but the top students generally do well in NY. I was in the top 5% after 1L, had some callbacks, but ultimately struck out. I have moved up a bit after 2L and am now in the top 5 of the class. I know 3L hiring is tough, and I am working on networking, mass mailing, etc. Any areas that are in higher demand right now or is it firm specific? I know corporate is big in NY, but I will work in any area where I can get a job. I know I can't say that on cover letters so I was wounding if you had any advice on the 3L search, thanks a lot.

Bank finance and M&A. No one wants to do bank finance but very busy and profitable.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get much traction in my own thread, hoping you can give some advice here:

i'm set to begin as a first year in a biglaw office in CA. i'm about to sit for the CA bar later this month.

my firm has huge offices in both CA and NYC, and my practice group is pretty large at both. (IE, my impression is that someone in my position would be fungible and easily transferrable between the offices, but of course i could be wrong).

would it be possible to sit for the NY bar this upcoming feb and switch over to the NY office ASAP? would my firm resent me for even asking?

i think i have a compelling reason for the switch (long term s/o works in NYC).

Wouldn't generally resent you for asking, but for whatever it's worth "(long term s/o works in NYC)" is not a particularly compelling reason to move you, it's just a reason why you want to move.

Actually, asking now is kind of a dick move. Why didn't you ask earlier and take the NY bar now? You're taking two separate bar exams, courses, fees?

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:36 pm

tag

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:08 pm

OP: In a much earlier post in this thread, you wrote that you felt that NYU & Columbia were above Penn (sorry can't find the post to quote you directly) with respect to caliber of law school. Do you still feel this way ?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: In a much earlier post in this thread, you wrote that you felt that NYU & Columbia were above Penn (sorry can't find the post to quote you directly) with respect to caliber of law school. Do you still feel this way ?

itbdvorm wrote:In answer to the question above - NYU and Columbia are viewed roughly equivalently, both significantly better than Penn (which is still well regarded, just a notch below)

2 posts up.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks. Guess that answers my question.

alclaw10

Postby alclaw10 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

Is there a difference in the interview process or types of questions you would ask a 2L candidate as opposed to a 3L candidate?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:10 pm

alclaw10 wrote:Is there a difference in the interview process or types of questions you would ask a 2L candidate as opposed to a 3L candidate?

Probably a bit tougher on him/her. Would expect more certainty in terms of "what do you want to do"

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:04 pm

you make partner yet?

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:you make partner yet?

I think he replied "maybe" to this same question earlier this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:12 am

My summer is about to end at a v100 NYC firm and I am interested in working in their CA office because the type of work im interested in is more prominent there and my s/o lives there. How would I go about asking to get placed in a different office assuming I get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 am

Curious about practice group exit options. I'm doing entirely Capital Markets work this summer, not high-yield securities, and while I like it a lot I'm unsure about what's down the line. If I don't move to a large public company, what else is out there? What types of roles within banks, and is there anything likely that's not either a bank or a large public corporation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm summering at a V50 in NY with a growing corporate practice. I've enjoyed working the most with PE and almost all of our PE work is middle-market, transactional work. The deal teams are small and it seems like junior associates are fairly actively involved in the deals. At the same time, our PE firm clients don't hire attorneys so that scares me about exit options. We also have a decent finance practice with larger clients but I've enjoyed the work less and junior associates seem to get less responsibilities. I know you're at a V15 so these aren't really issues you've faced, but do you think picking PE is a bad call for exit options?

geraffe

Postby geraffe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I need some advice. I'm top 5-10% at a TT, strong regional brand but elsewhere not so much; on LR. Also have 3 years non-relevant WE that involved tons of writing. Within the past few days I applied to a firm in my school's state (my home state), since it's not coming to OCI. This morning, the judge I'm interning with mentioned he knows a partner at the firm and would be happy to write a ROL or do something to get my application noticed. ... This afternoon, got an emailed ding from the firm.

So, what now? Do I just drop it, or should I still ask the judge to put in a good word and essentially pretend the ding didn't happen? This isn't a Vault firm; it's midsize in a secondary (maybe tertiary) market, and I hear the market where it's located is tough for non-locals to break into, even though I'm a native of the state. I'm not particularly attached to the firm, but I do want to get into this market and am worried this is not a good start...

LawFirmInterviews

Postby LawFirmInterviews » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:42 pm

geraffe wrote:I need some advice. I'm top 5-10% at a TT, strong regional brand but elsewhere not so much; on LR. Also have 3 years non-relevant WE that involved tons of writing. Within the past few days I applied to a firm in my school's state (my home state), since it's not coming to OCI. This morning, the judge I'm interning with mentioned he knows a partner at the firm and would be happy to write a ROL or do something to get my application noticed. ... This afternoon, got an emailed ding from the firm.

So, what now? Do I just drop it, or should I still ask the judge to put in a good word and essentially pretend the ding didn't happen? This isn't a Vault firm; it's midsize in a secondary (maybe tertiary) market, and I hear the market where it's located is tough for non-locals to break into, even though I'm a native of the state. I'm not particularly attached to the firm, but I do want to get into this market and am worried this is not a good start...

the ding is coming from the hiring department staffed by human-resources folks if it's a reasonable sized firm. It is unlikely anyone with power read your resume. Think this way: your judge appreciates you and considers you worthy of the law firm, his friend, a partner at the lawfirm, will trust his opinion. If his friend thinks you're worth hiring on the basis of personal knowledge, he's going to ask for to come in for an interview, regardless of whether your resume met some firm metrics. It is the person and connection that matters now, not what you had in the resume (though, try to figure out what was insufficient in it and improve it).

I'm at a V15 in NY, 3rd year, feel free to PM for more guidance.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My summer is about to end at a v100 NYC firm and I am interested in working in their CA office because the type of work im interested in is more prominent there and my s/o lives there. How would I go about asking to get placed in a different office assuming I get an offer?

Get the offer, then make the request.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious about practice group exit options. I'm doing entirely Capital Markets work this summer, not high-yield securities, and while I like it a lot I'm unsure about what's down the line. If I don't move to a large public company, what else is out there? What types of roles within banks, and is there anything likely that's not either a bank or a large public corporation?

Step 1 is finding a group/practice you like.

If you're doing a transactional practice, banks and large public corporations are probably the most likely exits...no matter what the practice is.

Get good at being a general capital markets attorney / company rep person and lots of practice opportunities will be out there

Return to “Legal Employment”