V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Said in a few different screeners that maintaining my physical fitness is very important to me, and I also have a lot of sport-y stuff on my resume.

Auto-ding as a flight risk?

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Said in a few different screeners that maintaining my physical fitness is very important to me, and I also have a lot of sport-y stuff on my resume.

you cannot possibly be serious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:33 pm

sideroxylon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Said in a few different screeners that maintaining my physical fitness is very important to me, and I also have a lot of sport-y stuff on my resume.

I realized in retrospect that it may have been a mistake to make it sound like it was something that is important/indispensable to me, given the amount of hours you'll be working

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

I realized in retrospect that it may have been a mistake to make it sound like it was something that is important/indispensable to me, given the amount of hours you'll be working

You might get dinged for sounding like a tool. Out of curiosity, can you tell us how this came up and what you said, exactly. Thanks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

You're probably OK at paul hastings or gibson dunn.

wiz

Postby wiz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

What kinds of firms were these? If you're talking V4, then yeah, you're absolutely expected to prioritize work above all else, and you don't want to be seen as a flight-to-the-gym risk.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

All depends on how you say it. Athletes are fine, people like the gym, but people miss things.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if a callback invite says you "are welcome to stay for lunch with the associates" after the morning interviews, you accept right?

yes

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 pm

First Offense wrote:This is going to sound like one of those super aspie questions, but fuck it. Regarding resumes and transcripts (or references), should I just keep them with me and only give them to the interviewer(s) when asked, or should you be more proactive about it?

They should ask, but you should be prepared. Do it as naturally as you can in the "hi, how you doing" stage if they haven't.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:06 pm

If the firm has a large corporate department but the interviewer is a litigator, do you adjust at all that you picked this firm because of it's corporate reputation/you are interested in transactional work as your answer to the "Why X firm"

Also: Any benefit of memorizing deals they recently conducted in the practice areas you are interested in? Should you be prepared to talk about this for more than one sentence?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 pm

sinfiery wrote:If the firm has a large corporate department but the interviewer is a litigator, do you adjust at all that you picked this firm because of it's corporate reputation/you are interested in transactional work as your answer to the "Why X firm"

Also: Any benefit of memorizing deals they recently conducted in the practice areas you are interested in? Should you be prepared to talk about this for more than one sentence?

Probably around the margins, but no need to go nuts. I wouldn't knock the lit aspects of the firm in the conversation though.

And sure. Or at least to ask them about their deals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Starting as an associate in October. I have a few disciplinary red flags that may lead to a delay on my bar app but unlikely to block admittance. Would the delay be something that could lose me my job / be looked down upon, or just business as usual?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Starting as an associate in October. I have a few disciplinary red flags that may lead to a delay on my bar app but unlikely to block admittance. Would the delay be something that could lose me my job / be looked down upon, or just business as usual?

that depends. what sort of flags

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:39 am

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting as an associate in October. I have a few disciplinary red flags that may lead to a delay on my bar app but unlikely to block admittance. Would the delay be something that could lose me my job / be looked down upon, or just business as usual?

Undergrad drinking writeups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

Are they campus write-ups or are they actual tickets for underage possession or drunk in public? I disclosed one campus write-up and didn't even get any follow-up. A friend had two drunk driving tickets (one at 17 and one at 20). He got called to the character and fitness board for a two hour meeting but still was sworn in on the regular schedule.

If you do get a delay, I would try to think of a reason why you can't go to the regular swearing in and you can just schedule a court date once you get the character and fitness squared away.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

Are they campus write-ups or are they actual tickets for underage possession or drunk in public? I disclosed one campus write-up and didn't even get any follow-up. A friend had two drunk driving tickets (one at 17 and one at 20). He got called to the character and fitness board for a two hour meeting but still was sworn in on the regular schedule.

If you do get a delay, I would try to think of a reason why you can't go to the regular swearing in and you can just schedule a court date once you get the character and fitness squared away.

Probably correct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting as an associate in October. I have a few disciplinary red flags that may lead to a delay on my bar app but unlikely to block admittance. Would the delay be something that could lose me my job / be looked down upon, or just busine

Probably correct.
[/quote]

Thanks! They were campus write-ups. More than I would like to admit, but sounds like they're not a gigantic deal

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 pm

If someone interviewing with your firm had a 1L SA (secondary market) for half the summer, do you usually ask if they got an offer to return? If so, how much of a deal breaker is it if they didn't get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:If someone interviewing with your firm had a 1L SA (secondary market) for half the summer, do you usually ask if they got an offer to return? If so, how much of a deal breaker is it if they didn't get an offer?

I didn't get an offer from my 1L SA (big firm, secondary market) and I don't think a single screener asked. A few asked if I planned to go back, to which I responded that I was interested in moving out of that market and into a different practice group that my 1L firm didn't have much work for (both true).

I think only one callback explicitly asked me if I received an offer from my 1L firm. I didn't get an offer from them, but I think I had already dinged myself so I can't say whether that's the reason why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If someone interviewing with your firm had a 1L SA (secondary market) for half the summer, do you usually ask if they got an offer to return? If so, how much of a deal breaker is it if they didn't get an offer?

I didn't get an offer from my 1L SA (big firm, secondary market) and I don't think a single screener asked. A few asked if I planned to go back, to which I responded that I was interested in moving out of that market and into a different practice group that my 1L firm didn't have much work for (both true).

I think only one callback explicitly asked me if I received an offer from my 1L firm. I didn't get an offer from them, but I think I had already dinged myself so I can't say whether that's the reason why.

Nearly every selective firm I've interviewed with at "OCI" screeners and callbacks thus far has asked me whether I have an offer from my 1L firm. So I guess this is not uniform.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nearly every selective firm I've interviewed with at "OCI" screeners and callbacks thus far has asked me whether I have an offer from my 1L firm. So I guess this is not uniform.

Original anon.

What markets were these firms in? Also, was your 1L SA for the entire summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:35 pm

From the OCI interviewer/firm perspective: what is the most polite way to decline a callback invite? or is ignoring it/never scheduling it an accepted practice? (I'm just thinking this because we are pretty fungible as candidates at these huge class sizes firms and maybe they don't care?). I am certain from my interactions/personality that I would rather work at a firm I was already offered than a couple of these where I have yet to schedule the CB's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Original anon.

What markets were these firms in? Also, was your 1L SA for the entire summer?

1L SA was big firm, secondary market, 10 weeks. The markets where I was asked during screeners were NY and another major market. I was surprised how often the question came up, whether I had an offer to return was almost always asked right after they asked about how I liked my summer/the firm and some sort of challenging/interesting case I worked on there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:23 pm

Also always asked whether I got a return offer from my 1L SA, interviewing in major markets (NY/TX/CA)

Probably 75%+ of the time

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also always asked whether I got a return offer from my 1L SA, interviewing in major markets (NY/TX/CA)

Probably 75%+ of the time

can confirm

Return to “Legal Employment”