V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm not really sure if this is the right place, but CSO scheduled me in back-to-back interviews for OCI. My fear is that the first one will run late and cause me to be late for the second one. Any advice on how to handle this without ruining my chances at either firm?

Rising Son

Postby Rising Son » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 pm

itbdvorm wrote:I can't really speak to this. I guess I'd suggest that people be mailing in any event. If you can get in earlier it's better.

Thank you for initiating and contributing to this thread, itbdvorm. I've read all 108 pages throughout my summer holiday abroad. The insight you've imparted is indeed golden.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not really sure if this is the right place, but CSO scheduled me in back-to-back interviews for OCI. My fear is that the first one will run late and cause me to be late for the second one. Any advice on how to handle this without ruining my chances at either firm?

I'd try to work with CSO / your classmates who are before/after you to switch if you can. It's frankly very hard to manage this right - I know a kid who came into my interview once 10 minutes late and said "well, my prior interview with [firm] kept going" made me feel like he had prioritized [firm] over us, which obviously meant why would I call him back? On the other hand, telling [firm] in advance may send the same message. If you can't switch you can try to see if the person after you on the first can knock a little earlier.

Assuming equal interest in both firms, I think better to tell first interview in advance/beginning of the interview something like "Just one note - I am obviously extremely interested in your firm, but my career services office has unfortunately scheduled me for another interview right at 3, so with apologies I need to end at [2:55] in order to not be rude to my next interview" than to be late to next interview.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 am

Do you view military service like any other work experience, or does it carry more of a bump?

A friend of mine who is a vet thought that his service/deployments gave him a definite OCI boost, but he also had good grades from Columbia so he likely would've done really well anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:26 am

Wouldn't you be taken aback if you were the first interviewer and someone asked you to end early, though? Isn't this kind of a damned if you do; damned if you don't situation if the second interviewer is really going to fault you for having been assigned back-to-back interviews?

Also, if you were interviewing at a school/program where this was fairly common, particularly for top candidates (100% preselect), would you necessarily still fault students for being late as a result of back-to-backs? I guess you could say that they should have scheduled you first, but students don't always really have a choice (even if you are their top choice firm).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am

My school has set up a job fair/interview bonanza in a major out-of-state market, and there are some very good firms there. I feel fortunate to have received screener interviews from a lot of them, and I was unaware that I was even qualified to work for some of the firms (Davis Polk, S&C, etc). I am top 25% but I just don't know what weight that carries from my school.

So my question: what is the difference between 'people we'll extend an interview to' and 'people we will actually hire' in terms of credentials/grades/etc? Do you cast a wider net to try to make sure you don't miss out on a diamond in the rough, or would you 'on paper' hire anyone extended an interview if you were only taking that information into account when extending offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:33 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not really sure if this is the right place, but CSO scheduled me in back-to-back interviews for OCI. My fear is that the first one will run late and cause me to be late for the second one. Any advice on how to handle this without ruining my chances at either firm?

I'd try to work with CSO / your classmates who are before/after you to switch if you can. It's frankly very hard to manage this right - I know a kid who came into my interview once 10 minutes late and said "well, my prior interview with [firm] kept going" made me feel like he had prioritized [firm] over us, which obviously meant why would I call him back? On the other hand, telling [firm] in advance may send the same message. If you can't switch you can try to see if the person after you on the first can knock a little earlier.

Assuming equal interest in both firms, I think better to tell first interview in advance/beginning of the interview something like "Just one note - I am obviously extremely interested in your firm, but my career services office has unfortunately scheduled me for another interview right at 3, so with apologies I need to end at [2:55] in order to not be rude to my next interview" than to be late to next interview.

Op here. Thanks unfortunately CSO has refused my request for a change saying "we do our best to keep things on time so you should be ok." It's frustrating cause the second one is the firm I'm most interested in and there's almost no way to not screw over one interviewer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Thanks unfortunately CSO has refused my request for a change saying "we do our best to keep things on time so you should be ok." It's frustrating cause the second one is the firm I'm most interested in and there's almost no way to not screw over one interviewer

Not OP, but had this exact scenario happen to me several times during my OCI season. Here is an alternative suggestion that I used: Usually you can figure out who has the interview after you. CSO generally puts a typed list of the schedule on each interviewer's door. Ask this person to knock a few minutes early if they don't mind, which they generally won't because it is to their advantage anyway to have a few extra minutes. This way it looks like it's out of your control. You can say something like: "I would love to speak with you more, but I hear the next person knocking and I don't want to go into their time."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

During the interview, do you have to "spin" every answer?

For example, my career services counselor told me that in every (or almost every answer), the answer should show something good about me. So for the "how do you like law school so far" question, I've been told it should be an answer that I should "spin" to make it seem like I'm hard working, intelligent, or some other quality.

However, other people (such as on TLS) have told me this is more of a "fit" question. They told me to answer it like I would in a conversation, but to not say anything negative. My answer is usually telling the interviewer that I love the school, classmates, and the city, and generally had a great time (maybe an anecdote). My career services counselor told me not to do this.

What is TCR?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During the interview, do you have to "spin" every answer?

For example, my career services counselor told me that in every (or almost every answer), the answer should show something good about me. So for the "how do you like law school so far" question, I've been told it should be an answer that I should "spin" to make it seem like I'm hard working, intelligent, or some other quality.

However, other people (such as on TLS) have told me this is more of a "fit" question. They told me to answer it like I would in a conversation, but to not say anything negative. My answer is usually telling the interviewer that I love the school, classmates, and the city, and generally had a great time (maybe an anecdote). My career services counselor told me not to do this.

What is TCR?

My career services guy, after a mock interview, said I gave 12 nearly perfect interview answers to 12 interview questions, but that shouldn't be the goal as much as trying to have a more organic conversation. It's one data point, but I think the idea is the less that it feels like an interview and the more it feels like a conversation, the better. It's a rather vague standard, but I think the idea is to sell yourself, but also be generally an affable person.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm

tag

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Do you view military service like any other work experience, or does it carry more of a bump?

A friend of mine who is a vet thought that his service/deployments gave him a definite OCI boost, but he also had good grades from Columbia so he likely would've done really well anyway.

Bump. 9 yrs of service here and I'm definitely curious to see how my particular background will play out at OCI.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 am

Bfalcon wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Do you view military service like any other work experience, or does it carry more of a bump?

Bump. 9 yrs of service here and I'm definitely curious to see how my particular background will play out at OCI.

If u are the same person as your avatar then OFFER

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey and thanks for doing this!

I'm top 1/3 & LR at T6-14, interested in DC & NYC, litigation. I was a 1L SA at a boutique lit firm in NYC this summer and I have a recommendation from the managing partner written specifically for OCI... (i.e., first line is "I recommend X to be and SA in you 2015 class.") The rec is standard I guess and includes the fact that they offered me a spot back at the firm, both next summer and after graduation.

So my question is how/whether to use recommendation for OCI. I suppose I could: A) hand it to each OCI interviewer along with my resume, B) send it to each firm's recruiting office before hand (but I worry it will get lost in the mass mailing shuffle), C) email it directly to each attorney-interviewer before OCI (for those firms where I know before who will be interviewing me) D) tell them about the rec. during the interview and email it to them afterwards.

I could also not use it, but I'd really like to because I think some of my interviewers may know the firm/recommender and I have the blessing of my career planning dept.

Advice very much appreciated and thanks again for this thread!

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 pm

A nice bump. On par with banking/consulting/other impressive interim job. But still need the grades.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school has set up a job fair/interview bonanza in a major out-of-state market, and there are some very good firms there. I feel fortunate to have received screener interviews from a lot of them, and I was unaware that I was even qualified to work for some of the firms (Davis Polk, S&C, etc). I am top 25% but I just don't know what weight that carries from my school.

So my question: what is the difference between 'people we'll extend an interview to' and 'people we will actually hire' in terms of credentials/grades/etc? Do you cast a wider net to try to make sure you don't miss out on a diamond in the rough, or would you 'on paper' hire anyone extended an interview if you were only taking that information into account when extending offers?

I can't imagine we'd waste our time with an interview for someone who didn't meet our baseline criteria. Still need to wow us if you're from a school we don't regularly hire from. We'll look at #1 from basically any school, but unless that person is a wow overall we'll probably still just hire the CLS/NYU kid who meets our criteria...

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm

First Offense wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:During the interview, do you have to "spin" every answer?

What is TCR?

My career services guy, after a mock interview, said I gave 12 nearly perfect interview answers to 12 interview questions, but that shouldn't be the goal as much as trying to have a more organic conversation. It's one data point, but I think the idea is the less that it feels like an interview and the more it feels like a conversation, the better. It's a rather vague standard, but I think the idea is to sell yourself, but also be generally an affable person.

Yes.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey and thanks for doing this!

I'm top 1/3 & LR at T6-14, interested in DC & NYC, litigation. I was a 1L SA at a boutique lit firm in NYC this summer and I have a recommendation from the managing partner written specifically for OCI... (i.e., first line is "I recommend X to be and SA in you 2015 class.") The rec is standard I guess and includes the fact that they offered me a spot back at the firm, both next summer and after graduation.

So my question is how/whether to use recommendation for OCI. I suppose I could: A) hand it to each OCI interviewer along with my resume, B) send it to each firm's recruiting office before hand (but I worry it will get lost in the mass mailing shuffle), C) email it directly to each attorney-interviewer before OCI (for those firms where I know before who will be interviewing me) D) tell them about the rec. during the interview and email it to them afterwards.

I could also not use it, but I'd really like to because I think some of my interviewers may know the firm/recommender and I have the blessing of my career planning dept.

Include it with your resume and transcript (so long as it's just a letter and not a 10-page memo). Worth making sure it's in your file and actually probably makes a nice transition to the interview (oh, I see you worked at so-and-so, and clearly they liked you since they're bringing you back, tell me about your experience)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

Include it with your resume and transcript (so long as it's just a letter and not a 10-page memo). Worth making sure it's in your file and actually probably makes a nice transition to the interview (oh, I see you worked at so-and-so, and clearly they liked you since they're bringing you back, tell me about your experience)

Cool, thanks. Do you care that I've seen the letter? Some people (see LSAC...) seem to believe that recs are more honest if the recommendee doesn't see it. My school has a process for submitting it through them (without me seeing it) but it's a giant giant pain.

notanon

Postby notanon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 am

Any idea whether biglaw hiring will up or down from last year? Seems like firms have a similar number of interview slots, but I've heard M&A and cap markets has been heating up.

Thanks a lot for doing this (now three year old) thread; it's been really helpful.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Cool, thanks. Do you care that I've seen the letter? Some people (see LSAC...) seem to believe that recs are more honest if the recommendee doesn't see it. My school has a process for submitting it through them (without me seeing it) but it's a giant giant pain.

Nah. Fine.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 pm

notanon wrote:Any idea whether biglaw hiring will up or down from last year? Seems like firms have a similar number of interview slots, but I've heard M&A and cap markets has been heating up.

Thanks a lot for doing this (now three year old) thread; it's been really helpful.

I would suspect up a tick given the overall level of busy-ness, but hard to say for sure

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:47 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
notanon wrote:Any idea whether biglaw hiring will up or down from last year? Seems like firms have a similar number of interview slots, but I've heard M&A and cap markets has been heating up.

I would suspect up a tick given the overall level of busy-ness, but hard to say for sure

Have you ever interviewed at a diversity fair, and if so (or if you have an idea despite not having done so), does anything change in regards to what you're looking for in a candidate or importance of their GPA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 pm

if a callback invite says you "are welcome to stay for lunch with the associates" after the morning interviews, you accept right?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:42 pm

This is going to sound like one of those super aspie questions, but fuck it. Regarding resumes and transcripts (or references), should I just keep them with me and only give them to the interviewer(s) when asked, or should you be more proactive about it?

Return to “Legal Employment”