V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:17 am

Danger Zone wrote:Fuck off

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 am

What is the best reason for saying you want to leave your 1L firm? Say both are large NYC firms, and your 1L firm has a very highly respected group in your practice area

I get that you don't want to say negative things, but what other reason could be credible?

The real reason I would consider other firms is better pay/benefits as well as maybe better work hours. But I don't think any of these would be appropriate answers either...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best reason for saying you want to leave your 1L firm? Say both are large NYC firms, and your 1L firm has a very highly respected group in your practice area

I get that you don't want to say negative things, but what other reason could be credible?

The real reason I would consider other firms is better pay/benefits as well as maybe better work hours. But I don't think any of these would be appropriate answers either...

I think saying that you like the firm you were at, but would be doing a disservice to yourself to not look elsewhere is a good answer. That's what I've been going with, but my underlying reason is much different than yours.

Something like: "I only have one firm experience. While I'm fortunate in that respect, I think the benefit is wasted if I don't take this opportunity to provide myself a meaningful choice. Your firm is great in X, Y, and Z areas, all of which I'm interested in, and I've heard lots of positive things from associates and former summers."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

CounselorNebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does being a minority give you a boost in OCIs? How do you let an interviewer know you are a minority if it's not obvious? I am Native American but don't look like it. If I could get a boost from that I'd like to but I don't know how to bring it up, aside from mentioning pro bono work for Native Americans that I've done. Also, if you're asked as a minority how you could aid in the firms' diversity, what kind of responses would be good? Thanks!

This seems like a hard question for some white V15 Senior Associate to answer. How much has your diversity affected your life if you can't even put it into words?

Diversity doesn't have to affect your life for one to be able to contribute to a firms' diversity. That's like saying minorities only count if their life has been hard due to their ethnicity....ridiculous. And the V15 Associate can describe what response he is looking for when that question is asked.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am

Best questions to ask in an interview at the end (i.e. "Do you have any questions?")

I always have found this somewhat difficult, because as someone who does a great amount of research before entering the room, I don't usually have a ton of questions about the firm itself, since I already looked that info up myself.

What questions make a student seem interested but not ignorant of facts about the firm?

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does being a minority give you a boost in OCIs? How do you let an interviewer know you are a minority if it's not obvious? I am Native American but don't look like it. If I could get a boost from that I'd like to but I don't know how to bring it up, aside from mentioning pro bono work for Native Americans that I've done. Also, if you're asked as a minority how you could aid in the firms' diversity, what kind of responses would be good? Thanks!

This seems like a hard question for some white V15 Senior Associate to answer. How much has your diversity affected your life if you can't even put it into words?

Diversity doesn't have to affect your life for one to be able to contribute to a firms' diversity. That's like saying minorities only count if their life has been hard due to their ethnicity....ridiculous. And the V15 Associate can describe what response he is looking for when that question is asked.

Unless diversity has affected your life in some way that makes your perspective different from most peoples', the only way it would "contribute to a firm's diversity" is by making the faces on the firm website a little more colorful. If you look Caucasian, you're not even doing that.

Obviously the effect your diversity has had on your life doesn't have to be negative, but you better have SOMETHING to offer that straight, white people don't have or else you won't get a boost, and why should you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 am

How much does having an IP Background (CS degree) actually help when trying to get a job? Specifically, does it help when trying to get a non-patent prosecution job? How are these applicants viewed generally?

Pikappraider

Postby Pikappraider » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much does having an IP Background (CS degree) actually help when trying to get a job? Specifically, does it help when trying to get a non-patent prosecution job? How are these applicants viewed generally?

A ton, its pretty hard to not land a job if you have an IP background. I know multiple people at my lower t-14 that had big law 1L summer associate positions lined up before we got first semester grades. I also met an alumni who had a 2.7 cumulative gpa and works at one of the best firm in Dallas. Note, a 2.7 is the lowest you can get in a class without the professor petitioning so this guy was probably dead last in the class.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 am

Swimp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Diversity doesn't have to affect your life for one to be able to contribute to a firms' diversity. That's like saying minorities only count if their life has been hard due to their ethnicity....ridiculous. And the V15 Associate can describe what response he is looking for when that question is asked.

Unless diversity has affected your life in some way that makes your perspective different from most peoples', the only way it would "contribute to a firm's diversity" is by making the faces on the firm website a little more colorful. If you look Caucasian, you're not even doing that.

Obviously the effect your diversity has had on your life doesn't have to be negative, but you better have SOMETHING to offer that straight, white people don't have or else you won't get a boost

Swimp basically stated what my main point, only in a more eloquent manner.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:52 am

People, please don't get into a diversity argument and detract from the OP answering questions in this thread (also don't answer questions for the OP).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the best reason for saying you want to leave your 1L firm? Say both are large NYC firms, and your 1L firm has a very highly respected group in your practice area

I think saying that you like the firm you were at, but would be doing a disservice to yourself to not look elsewhere is a good answer. That's what I've been going with, but my underlying reason is much different than yours.

Something like: "I only have one firm experience. While I'm fortunate in that respect, I think the benefit is wasted if I don't take this opportunity to provide myself a meaningful choice. Your firm is great in X, Y, and Z areas, all of which I'm interested in, and I've heard lots of positive things from associates and former summers."

TBF, this does not sound like a compelling, or even good, answer to me. I try never to sound wishy washy in an interview, and this answer makes it sound like even if you get an offer you're likely to back to your old firm.

But I'd like to hear the actual OP's opinion.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:02 pm

To the anon above ^, did I not just say:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:(don't answer questions for the OP).

This is not the place to give your opinion on people's questions.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:32 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To the anon above ^, did I not just say:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:(don't answer questions for the OP).

This is not the place to give your opinion on people's questions.

You tell em Nony

playpowerball

Postby playpowerball » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am

jrthor10 wrote:Best questions to ask in an interview at the end (i.e. "Do you have any questions?")

I always have found this somewhat difficult, because as someone who does a great amount of research before entering the room, I don't usually have a ton of questions about the firm itself, since I already looked that info up myself.

What questions make a student seem interested but not ignorant of facts about the firm?

also really interested in this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am

General interview question: Is it okay to ask your interviewer why they chose the firm, or what aspect of that particular firm that personally led to them choosing that firm?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm

playpowerball wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:Best questions to ask in an interview at the end (i.e. "Do you have any questions?")

also really interested in this

I have been reading through this thread and these posts from a few pages ago seem to answer your question pretty well.

Anonymous User wrote:When you ask if a student has any questions at the end of the interview, are you primarily looking for someone to demonstrate that they understand what the firm does and will commit?

I'm reluctant to ask about how assignments are staffed, or about the format of the summer associate program itself, because those are things I can look up/could be expected to look up.

Is it fair to ask about the interviewer's own reasons for initially choosing the firm, or what surprised them about it after beginning to work there, or their own time at my law school (if they're an alum)? What parts of their background are off-limits, and what would you typically like to talk about, as an interviewer?

itbdvorm wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
or their own time at my law school (if they're an alum)?

This is a silly question. Yes, it works conversationally, but it does nothing to advance the purpose of this portion of the interview, which is to learn more about the firm. If someone asked me this question, my reaction would be "who the fuck cares?"

Some questions I like to ask:

1) What were you deciding between when you were choosing firms, and what led you to your choice? (I think you put some version of that above).

2) Why did you choose your practice group?

3) You noticed x, y, z training programs, but how practical/effective/useful are they in reality? What's been your experience with them?

Those three questions, assuming your interviewer doesn't have aspergers (not always a great assumption), should be more than enough to get you through the Q/A portion of the interview. With the organic conversation that can ensue from each of those questions, you probably won't get to ask all three.

A+

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:General interview question: Is it okay to ask your interviewer why they chose the firm, or what aspect of that particular firm that personally led to them choosing that firm?

Yes, but watch your tone. Obviously this person is a shill for his/her firm so don't imply that it isn't obvious. But I personally feel this question comes off really honest, given how much all law firms look alike from the law student level.

(edited to be clear: I'm not the original sr associate answering questions, although I am similarly positioned).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Are you asking as a rising 2L about to go through interviews? You know we are used to folks spending their 2L summer at a different firm (and returning to their 1L firm for a week or two), right? As in, you don't usually need to justify it.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you asking as a rising 2L about to go through interviews? You know we are used to folks spending their 2L summer at a different firm (and returning to their 1L firm for a week or two), right? As in, you don't usually need to justify it.

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm

This might be obvious, but I just have to confirm.

Do you actually save offer spots for OCI/EIP interviewees any more or has firm hiring gone the way of the Plan for art III: every man, woman and firm for themselves? My school has a shockingly large number of ..ambitious students who mass mailed the firms they bid on last month and already have CB->offer. Like more than past years it seems.

I have an offer or two (if 1L firm invites back) in a secondary market but none in NYC (since I'm not there) and I'm basically depending on the normal bid based recruiting process to hit my target NY V10/V15 firms. What % of offers would you say have already gone out/will have gone out before OCI even starts (first two wks of August)? Does your firm and peer firms still reserve most offers for OCI's?

FSK

Postby FSK » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be obvious, but I just have to confirm.

Do you actually save offer spots for OCI/EIP interviewees any more or has firm hiring gone the way of the Plan for art III: every man, woman and firm for themselves? My school has a shockingly large number of ..ambitious students who mass mailed the firms they bid on last month and already have CB->offer. Like more than past years it seems.

I have an offer or two (if 1L firm invites back) in a secondary market but none in NYC (since I'm not there) and I'm basically depending on the normal bid based recruiting process to hit my target NY V10/V15 firms. What % of offers would you say have already gone out/will have gone out before OCI even starts (first two wks of August)? Does your firm and peer firms still reserve most offers for OCI's?

This question was nagging me yesterday. Very concerning

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm

wait, do firms really reserve offers? why would they if they found good candidates before

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:40 am

mephistopheles wrote:wait, do firms really reserve offers? why would they if they found good candidates before

Why spend so much money and time on traditional OCI recruiting if you're pulling a majority of your summer class from random emails from law students?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:wait, do firms really reserve offers? why would they if they found good candidates before

Why spend so much money and time on traditional OCI recruiting if you're pulling a majority of your summer class from random emails from law students?

this makes no sense. if it becomes a trend where you don't pull people from oci, then the firm could stop paying the money. however, if they wanted to play along with the market (which biglaw firms tend to do), then the money is well worth it. and oci expenses are minimal, aside from attorney time. anybody blowing mad cash on "swag" and then complaining about the bill needs to rethink some things.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm

I can't really speak to this. I guess I'd suggest that people be mailing in any event. If you can get in earlier it's better.

Return to “Legal Employment”