V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Before I click through every page, anyone recall whether D.C. firms were discussed in a way similar to the LA firm link above?


After looking through, didn't see anything so: I'd be interested in hearing what you know about the "top" firms in D.C., specifically "culture", associate/partner relations, rumors of imminent demise :lol:

for as many or as few as you have relevant info and are willing to take the time to write about.

lameslice57
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:22 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby lameslice57 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Before I click through every page, anyone recall whether D.C. firms were discussed in a way similar to the LA firm link above?


After looking through, didn't see anything so: I'd be interested in hearing what you know about the "top" firms in D.C., specifically "culture", associate/partner relations, rumors of imminent demise :lol:

for as many or as few as you have relevant info and are willing to take the time to write about.

Might be worth it to make a new thread.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
or their own time at my law school (if they're an alum)?


This is a silly question. Yes, it works conversationally, but it does nothing to advance the purpose of this portion of the interview, which is to learn more about the firm. If someone asked me this question, my reaction would be "who the fuck cares?"

Some questions I like to ask:

1) What were you deciding between when you were choosing firms, and what led you to your choice? (I think you put some version of that above).

2) Why did you choose your practice group?

3) You noticed x, y, z training programs, but how practical/effective/useful are they in reality? What's been your experience with them?

Those three questions, assuming your interviewer doesn't have aspergers (not always a great assumption), should be more than enough to get you through the Q/A portion of the interview. With the organic conversation that can ensue from each of those questions, you probably won't get to ask all three.


A+



Does the advice change if you are interviewing for one specific practice area?


I think variations on question #2 / "what do you like about it?" "what would you suggest someone interested in X do to prepare for the summer?" are good ones...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 am

T6, top 10-15% after 1L but with an ugly C in Crim. No bs'ing, had a migraine going into exam, took more than half the allotted time to just read through the fact pattern. Was not a fun morning. Two questions:

(1) I want to do litigation, preferably at a large firm. How much does the C in Crim hurt when the rest of the transcript says A/A-.

(2) How the hell do I explain the C? I feel like I'd be better off inventing a reason that I struggled with the exam (e.g. "I didn't prioritize my time on the exam well.") than to explain that I had a splitting headache. Am I correct in thinking that the truth will sound like whining nonsense?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:31 am

I'm 65/35 split on corporate v. litigation but if I'm at a firm with a strong litigation practice (ie: Paul Weiss), I would like to do litigation

I would like to take corp. classes (M&A, etc.) during 2L year but I'm unsure how to explain to these firms that I want to do litigation if my transcript shows I'm signed up for a bunch of corp classes.

What is the best approach for this? Take general classes with maybe 1 or 2 corp. classes? Or is there a good answer or explanation I can give during the interview (I can't think of any)?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T6, top 10-15% after 1L but with an ugly C in Crim. No bs'ing, had a migraine going into exam, took more than half the allotted time to just read through the fact pattern. Was not a fun morning. Two questions:

(1) I want to do litigation, preferably at a large firm. How much does the C in Crim hurt when the rest of the transcript says A/A-.

(2) How the hell do I explain the C? I feel like I'd be better off inventing a reason that I struggled with the exam (e.g. "I didn't prioritize my time on the exam well.") than to explain that I had a splitting headache. Am I correct in thinking that the truth will sound like whining nonsense?


(1) not much. once you're at the firm, you should be fine

(2) no really great answer. i think the overall GPA will leave you fine. if someone brings it up, you can say something like "it's unfortunate, obviously. it's clear in retrospect that i didn't budget my time correctly. i've spoken with my professor, and i understand why that turned out the way it did, but fortunately i did not have similar issues in my other classes, where i was able to blah blah..."

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm 65/35 split on corporate v. litigation but if I'm at a firm with a strong litigation practice (ie: Paul Weiss), I would like to do litigation

I would like to take corp. classes (M&A, etc.) during 2L year but I'm unsure how to explain to these firms that I want to do litigation if my transcript shows I'm signed up for a bunch of corp classes.

What is the best approach for this? Take general classes with maybe 1 or 2 corp. classes? Or is there a good answer or explanation I can give during the interview (I can't think of any)?


knowledge of corporations, securities, etc., is not a negative for big law firms. it's a big positive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Is it worth it to e mail the hiring attorney with a resume and transcript if you are a desirable candidate (e.g. top 10% at a T14)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:48 pm

"The grades necessary to get jobs at many firms (not all) are not the same as an URM as they are otherwise. you may have a chance. talk to friends in the class year ahead, see how they did / where they went"

Going off this, is it safe to say that an AAm at the top 1/3 of his class at a top law school (T14) has a solid chance at getting an offer?

User avatar
heavoldgotjuice
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 pm

itbdvorm,

I have a question about being a transfer in the eyes of an interviewer. I may transfer to Georgetown and participate in GULC's EIW (oci). How will someone with my stats look to an interviewer of, say, a firm such as yours?

TTTT (FL)
3.78 GPA (Rank 4/230)
Law Review + Moot Court after former school (Grade on + competed on)
Book Awards (Highest Grade awards): 6 out of 8 classes
Summer internship at US Dept of Homeland Security.
Research Assistant


Just curious, since I have a gut feeling that a TTTT Florida school seems to be the last thing an interviewer is hoping to see..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 am

I'm a rising 2L with two choices: (1) dropping out to earn $175k / yr @ 35 hr weeks with little room for advancement, even 20 years down the road, and no transferable skills; or (2) V20 biglaw. I'm leaning biglaw. Am I crazy?

Pokemon
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L with two choices: (1) dropping out to earn $175k / yr @ 35 hr weeks with little room for advancement, even 20 years down the road, and no transferable skills; or (2) V20 biglaw. I'm leaning biglaw. Am I crazy?


More like a flame...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:56 am

What do you think about a candidate with an international law secondary journal membership? I know secondary journals don't matter or whatever and that you're suppose to be fine as long as you have something but I am wondering whether when the recruiter sees it she or he will think "aaah another kid with his internationalness dream, idiot". I'm interested in learning more about BTT, BITs, etc. not in practicing in Europe defending the amazon forest.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think about a candidate with an international law secondary journal membership? I know secondary journals don't matter or whatever and that you're suppose to be fine as long as you have something but I am wondering whether when the recruiter sees it she or he will think "aaah another kid with his internationalness dream, idiot". I'm interested in learning more about BTT, BITs, etc. not in practicing in Europe defending the amazon forest.


no one will care. and if ur interviewer was on the same journal, you'll have a topic to relate to.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth it to e mail the hiring attorney with a resume and transcript if you are a desirable candidate (e.g. top 10% at a T14)?


Sure

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:"The grades necessary to get jobs at many firms (not all) are not the same as an URM as they are otherwise. you may have a chance. talk to friends in the class year ahead, see how they did / where they went"

Going off this, is it safe to say that an AAm at the top 1/3 of his class at a top law school (T14) has a solid chance at getting an offer?


Somewhere, probably yes

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 am

heavoldgotjuice wrote:itbdvorm,

I have a question about being a transfer in the eyes of an interviewer. I may transfer to Georgetown and participate in GULC's EIW (oci). How will someone with my stats look to an interviewer of, say, a firm such as yours?

TTTT (FL)
3.78 GPA (Rank 4/230)
Law Review + Moot Court after former school (Grade on + competed on)
Book Awards (Highest Grade awards): 6 out of 8 classes
Summer internship at US Dept of Homeland Security.
Research Assistant

I'll say it's vaguely more important for you to be polished. Transfer students in my view have an uphill climb, but #4 in your class gives you a chance...

Just curious, since I have a gut feeling that a TTTT Florida school seems to be the last thing an interviewer is hoping to see..

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:43 am

zweitbester wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you think about a candidate with an international law secondary journal membership? I know secondary journals don't matter or whatever and that you're suppose to be fine as long as you have something but I am wondering whether when the recruiter sees it she or he will think "aaah another kid with his internationalness dream, idiot". I'm interested in learning more about BTT, BITs, etc. not in practicing in Europe defending the amazon forest.


no one will care. and if ur interviewer was on the same journal, you'll have a topic to relate to.


Eh, not sure. Depends about the rest of the resume. If it comes up, need to tie it into something we actually do


Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am

If I mass mail a few firms, should I send a cover letter or just a brief email expressing interest, my resume, and a transcript?

Also, for corporate work - I want to eventually work in SF/SV, doing venture capital/emerging companies/some capital markets work. Would you recommend starting directly in SF/SV, or putting my time in first at a top New York firm if I wanted to focus on getting as good as possible as that type of work?

If I did start in New York, what practice group would have the best carryover - should I focus on capital markets or something like private equity fund formation/buyouts?

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 am

Not OCI related, but how would your firm view a lateral associate who has brought in about 500k in business to his/her current firm? Is that a potential hire automatically?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

How much does writing-on to Law Review help versus just grading on? And will being on Law Review provide a noticable boost? I'm at a T20 right around top 20%; need all the help I can get.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am

EDIT - NVM, answered already

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I mass mail a few firms, should I send a cover letter or just a brief email expressing interest, my resume, and a transcript?

Also, for corporate work - I want to eventually work in SF/SV, doing venture capital/emerging companies/some capital markets work. Would you recommend starting directly in SF/SV, or putting my time in first at a top New York firm if I wanted to focus on getting as good as possible as that type of work?

If I did start in New York, what practice group would have the best carryover - should I focus on capital markets or something like private equity fund formation/buyouts?

Thanks!


SV, SV, SV. Much easier market to crack than SF, and few (if any) firms in NY do that type of work. M&A is prboably the most easily transferable.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OCI related, but how would your firm view a lateral associate who has brought in about 500k in business to his/her current firm? Is that a potential hire automatically?


"Favorably."

But is it coming with them? And what rates are they charging? $500K in business at $50/hr isn't desirable.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.