V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Is your firm hiring supplemental c/o 2011?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

What are 3 behaviors that good candidates demonstrate during a callback?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 pm

What does "fit" really mean, specifically and in practical terms? This is a kind of weasel word I hear that seems to be based solely on a first impression.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:22 pm

How do you recommend answering the "Why this law firm" question? Pick out one or two attributes from their website? I always feel like I'm just kissing ass when answering this.

Also, do you like questions about your personal background (why you chose practice, path you took, etc) or keep them related to the firm?

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby skers » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:25 pm

There's somewhat divergent info concerning how WE affects CBs and offers. 1. How much of a plus do you consider WE to be? 2. How do you compare full-time WE during undergrad with full-time WE after graduation? Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 pm

I have kind of a unique background. I didn't go to college out of high school. I worked for 5 years in various minimum wage jobs before going back to community college, then transferred to an unprestigious university. How much is this going to hurt me trying to get a BigLaw job? I'm top 10%/law review at a T1 school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:36 pm

What are some of the best questions you have been asked in a screener?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is your firm hiring supplemental c/o 2011?


Does that mean 3Ls? maybe, but only exceptional candidates on a case by case basis

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for doing this!

I've had a few interviews so far and I feels like I'm asking the interviewers more questions than they are asking me. Is it a bad sign that the interviewers jump to my questions so quickly?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are 3 behaviors that good candidates demonstrate during a callback?


Be engaged / engaging, ask thoughtful and reasonable questions, don't offend anyone.

Charming people will, on the whole, do better during callbacks. Sorry.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Verity wrote:What does "fit" really mean, specifically and in practical terms? This is a kind of weasel word I hear that seems to be based solely on a first impression.


We want people we like, who would fit into our culture. Firms are not all alike (really).

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 pm

blowhard wrote:How do you recommend answering the "Why this law firm" question? Pick out one or two attributes from their website? I always feel like I'm just kissing ass when answering this.

Also, do you like questions about your personal background (why you chose practice, path you took, etc) or keep them related to the firm?


I really do think firms are different. There are different levels of expertise in different practice areas, different sizes, different reach internationally, different cultures, different systems of training associates, etc. You should do your research. Maybe it's just kissing ass but I like people to tell me / demonstrate that they've done their homework.

Questions about me are decent. Goal is to make a connection with the interviewer, so that usually helps do so.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:There's somewhat divergent info concerning how WE affects CBs and offers. 1. How much of a plus do you consider WE to be? 2. How do you compare full-time WE during undergrad with full-time WE after graduation? Thanks.


This is a complicated question. All depends on what the WE is. Will the kid who worked at Goldman/McKinsey/et al in between college and law school get a boost? Sure. Will the kid who worked for not for profit in Africa? Eh.

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 pm

On a scale of Freedom to Sweatshop, what woudl you rate the working conditions of your associates? Do they enjoy working there or are most of them generally unhappy?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have kind of a unique background. I didn't go to college out of high school. I worked for 5 years in various minimum wage jobs before going back to community college, then transferred to an unprestigious university. How much is this going to hurt me trying to get a BigLaw job? I'm top 10%/law review at a T1 school.


Answer is probably not at all. If you're top 10% / law review at a T1 school that should speak for itself. What will be most determinative is what that T1 school is (many schools fall into T1). Also, many attorneys hate "kind of unique" or "very unique" (I am one of them), as a thing is either unique (one of a kind) or not

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are some of the best questions you have been asked in a screener?


Why did you choose your firm / practice group?
What do you wish you knew then?
What should someone in my shoes ask / look for?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this!

I've had a few interviews so far and I feels like I'm asking the interviewers more questions than they are asking me. Is it a bad sign that the interviewers jump to my questions so quickly?


Nope. Depends on interviewing style. Especially late in the day we get sick of asking the same questions over and over again. If you're carrying the ball you're fine.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:19 pm

dakure wrote:On a scale of Freedom to Sweatshop, what woudl you rate the working conditions of your associates? Do they enjoy working there or are most of them generally unhappy?


Uh...feudal state? Most people like the firm, not all like the work

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:20 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:What is the average age of your first year associate class?


No idea. I'd guess an average of 2-3 years out of college work experience, with a lot of straight through, a few 2-4 years off and a very few 5+ years out

To an extent, this spread seems proportionate to the ages of students in law school, but I'm curious: Do firms shy away from older candidates (5+ years out)? If so, is there any way to minimize this issue as an older applicant?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:What is the average age of your first year associate class?


No idea. I'd guess an average of 2-3 years out of college work experience, with a lot of straight through, a few 2-4 years off and a very few 5+ years out

To an extent, this spread seems proportionate to the ages of students in law school, but I'm curious: Do firms shy away from older candidates (5+ years out)? If so, is there any way to minimize this issue as an older applicant?


I don't think firms shy away from older candidates, but I do think firms shy away from candidates with wanderlust / confusion about what they want to do with their lives / desire to go save the world. Have a good answer to the "why you went to law school" question and you should be in good shape

User avatar
dakure
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:What is the average age of your first year associate class?


No idea. I'd guess an average of 2-3 years out of college work experience, with a lot of straight through, a few 2-4 years off and a very few 5+ years out

To an extent, this spread seems proportionate to the ages of students in law school, but I'm curious: Do firms shy away from older candidates (5+ years out)? If so, is there any way to minimize this issue as an older applicant?


I don't think firms shy away from older candidates, but I do think firms shy away from candidates with wanderlust / confusion about what they want to do with their lives / desire to go save the world. Have a good answer to the "why you went to law school" question and you should be in good shape

Sorry to keep harping on this age thing, but does your firm shy away from younger candidates? What if they have an answer to the "why law school" question?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:33 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:To an extent, this spread seems proportionate to the ages of students in law school, but I'm curious: Do firms shy away from older candidates (5+ years out)? If so, is there any way to minimize this issue as an older applicant?


I don't think firms shy away from older candidates, but I do think firms shy away from candidates with wanderlust / confusion about what they want to do with their lives / desire to go save the world. Have a good answer to the "why you went to law school" question and you should be in good shape

Sorry to keep harping on this age thing, but does your firm shy away from younger candidates? What if they have an answer to the "why law school" question?


As long as younger doesn't mean 15 (or really any age significantly younger than the normal college graduation age) then no. A good answer is always nice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks so much for doing this. Are overweight/unattractive people at a significant disadvantage?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks so much for doing this. Are overweight/unattractive people at a significant disadvantage?


No, though I do think charisma/presentability is a huge plus. So it all depends on the package.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

When did your involvement with recruiting start?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.