V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:bumping, a bit slow again. happy new year

Happy new year!

I am a junior M&A associate at a V5. Am running diligence, writing first draft of the DD executive summary, drafting ancillary documents/SEC filings and drafting discrete sections of the transaction document. My hours are very high and I think that I am well-regarded.

Tips/advice for getting higher in the deal team food chain? There is another junior ~6 months more senior than me who is taking the first shot at drafting the transaction document whom I really admire/respect-- would love to get to his level.

Let me know if I am being a typical neurotic junior or if there is anything affirmative that I can be doing. Thanks!

Odd that there's someone ~6 months more senior than you (did you/he clerk?) - that's a weird gap amount. But people progress at different stages. I might talk to a well-regarded mid-level/senior associate whom you feel comfortable talking to about what steps you could/should be taking to progress. You're probably doing fine though, don't stress

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L, interested in a particular law firm. There was no SA program last year, so I'm guessing they'll need entry level attorneys this year, hopefully. I've spoken with recruiting, so they know I'm interested, along with the Chair of the Diversity Committee at the firm. Is there anything more I should be doing to have a better chance at this firm? There aren't any alumni from my T14, and none of my connections have any friends there, so I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

Not really - if there's a specific reason you're interested in that firm always good to highlight it, and I guess check in with recruiting on a regular, but not annoying basis (couple weeks spacing minimum). I'd also be sure they actually do hire entry level attorneys, not solely post-clerks or something. Good luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm

I missed the boat for 2L SA. I just had an idea for a business I can try to start up and try to get going over the summer. It is related to the field of law I want to practice.
Any advice on how to be competitive for biglaw, or is that just not gonna happen anymore?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Any buzz with cyber security? Maybe this is getting too specific, but if I had a BS and MS in IT with a cyber security emphasis, along with some cyber security certifications (CISSP, Security+, CCNA), came from MVP or better, made cutoff for grades, would it be realistic to get into that practice group upon graduation?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any buzz with cyber security? Maybe this is getting too specific, but if I had a BS and MS in IT with a cyber security emphasis, along with some cyber security certifications (CISSP, Security+, CCNA), came from MVP or better, made cutoff for grades, would it be realistic to get into that practice group upon graduation?

Not OP, nor biglaw employed, so take it with a grain of salt, but I know a rainmaker senior partner who thinks cybersecurity is gonna boom and is intending to focus heavily in that area for the next few years

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I missed the boat for 2L SA. I just had an idea for a business I can try to start up and try to get going over the summer. It is related to the field of law I want to practice.
Any advice on how to be competitive for biglaw, or is that just not gonna happen anymore?

Who knows. Work on your grades now, work on your business over the summer, keep up connections, talk to friends at firms, you may have a shot.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any buzz with cyber security? Maybe this is getting too specific, but if I had a BS and MS in IT with a cyber security emphasis, along with some cyber security certifications (CISSP, Security+, CCNA), came from MVP or better, made cutoff for grades, would it be realistic to get into that practice group upon graduation?

Sure? Why wouldn't it be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:bumping, a bit slow again. happy new year

Happy new year!

I am a junior M&A associate at a V5. Am running diligence, writing first draft of the DD executive summary, drafting ancillary documents/SEC filings and drafting discrete sections of the transaction document. My hours are very high and I think that I am well-regarded.

Tips/advice for getting higher in the deal team food chain? There is another junior ~6 months more senior than me who is taking the first shot at drafting the transaction document whom I really admire/respect-- would love to get to his level.

Let me know if I am being a typical neurotic junior or if there is anything affirmative that I can be doing. Thanks!

Odd that there's someone ~6 months more senior than you (did you/he clerk?) - that's a weird gap amount. But people progress at different stages. I might talk to a well-regarded mid-level/senior associate whom you feel comfortable talking to about what steps you could/should be taking to progress. You're probably doing fine though, don't stress

Thanks for the response. It is a weird gap-- due to one of clerking, off-cycle graduation or lateraling. Thanks again!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:41 pm

First year here - any advice on switching practice groups in big law? I asked a few months after accepting my offer but was turned down due to lack of staffing need. I know, I should have thought more carefully during my SA time, but that's past and I really have no idea what to do. I'm just thankful to have a good job and making the wrong move in this situation could really screw things up. At the same time, this is my career and I need to take charge of things before it gets too late. Any advice on who to talk to at my firm? Is it even possible to lateral at this point? Thanks in advance.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First year here - any advice on switching practice groups in big law? I asked a few months after accepting my offer but was turned down due to lack of staffing need. I know, I should have thought more carefully during my SA time, but that's past and I really have no idea what to do. I'm just thankful to have a good job and making the wrong move in this situation could really screw things up. At the same time, this is my career and I need to take charge of things before it gets too late. Any advice on who to talk to at my firm? Is it even possible to lateral at this point? Thanks in advance.

definitely possible to lateral but probably not now. really depends on firm/structure/needs. problem is if you're going to lateral you likely don't have much experience so you'd be taking a drop / coming in as a "first year" which doesn't make much sense for most firms. you could always try clerking as a clean break. good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm a 2L at a non T-14 that was able to land a summer associate position with a regional midsize law firm of about 100-150 lawyers. Conventional TLS wisdom says that 3L OCI is for those who had a 2L SA at a big law firm. Assuming that I am able to land an offer this summer from the regional firm, I'm curious to hear your thoughts as to whether someone like me is competitive for the few openings available during 3L OCI at big law firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:13 pm

How detrimental are poor grades in undergrad for 1L hiring? All the 1L applications require undergrad transcripts. While my grades weren't terrible, I was below median for my university (HYP). I'm currently at a T14 and have big law references.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

While my grades weren't terrible, I was below median for my university (HYP). I'm currently at a T14 and have big law references.

No one will care.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2L at a non T-14 that was able to land a summer associate position with a regional midsize law firm of about 100-150 lawyers. Conventional TLS wisdom says that 3L OCI is for those who had a 2L SA at a big law firm. Assuming that I am able to land an offer this summer from the regional firm, I'm curious to hear your thoughts as to whether someone like me is competitive for the few openings available during 3L OCI at big law firms.

"maybe"

not nearly enough info. sorry. good luck

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 am

zweitbester wrote:
While my grades weren't terrible, I was below median for my university (HYP). I'm currently at a T14 and have big law references.

No one will care.

for 1L hiring they may. 2L hiring won't matter

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 am

itbdvorm wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

No one will care.

You really think our firms keep data on the median undergraduate grades at Harvard, Yale and Princeton?

I mean sure, if the dude has C+s mixed in there for no good reason, I guess they could have an impact. But below median at these places is like a B, maybe even a B+.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm

zweitbester wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

No one will care.

You really think our firms keep data on the median undergraduate grades at Harvard, Yale and Princeton?

I mean sure, if the dude has C+s mixed in there for no good reason, I guess they could have an impact. But below median at these places is like a B, maybe even a B+.

No...

But if a firm is hiring a 1L (many aren't) they undoubtedly have more applicants than positions. All else being equal, the 3.8 from Harvard is getting the job over a 3.4. I don't think this is controversial what I'm saying.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:39 pm

I mean I guess. I'd think we'd just call in both and see who has the better interview, but you make a good point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 am

Do you get the sense that firms are hiring federal clerks this year for new associate positions? What about ones that didn't do SAs at big firms their 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 am

two separate recruiters (at different firms) have indicated to me that it looks like they'll do more 3L hiring this year than previously. Do you think these are unusual, or that this might be more common?

I figure this to be the result of conservative 2L SA hiring and underestimating hiring needs (better to hire too little, than to be stuck with unneeded associates). What are your thoughts?

Jan 14

Postby Jan 14 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 am

Not exactly a trend, but it is occurring — Speed Networking. My understanding is that it carbons speed-dating or something like OCI on steroids. I assume the upside is if you have a candidate that is a “no” you only have to pretend you are interested for just a few minutes versus a half an hour.
When I first saw this I thought it was for smaller schools trying to build interest from local firms, but today I noticed a couple prominent schools are now engaged. Have you ever participated in one of these or would you, if invited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:02 pm

How can someone overcome bottom 25% grades at CCN to crack into the V15? Can it even be done absent some huge mitigating factor?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you get the sense that firms are hiring federal clerks this year for new associate positions? What about ones that didn't do SAs at big firms their 2L summer?

Fed clerks always have a chance at various firms

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:two separate recruiters (at different firms) have indicated to me that it looks like they'll do more 3L hiring this year than previously. Do you think these are unusual, or that this might be more common?

I figure this to be the result of conservative 2L SA hiring and underestimating hiring needs (better to hire too little, than to be stuck with unneeded associates). What are your thoughts?

Definitely possible. And 2014 looks like it could be a big year

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Jan 14 wrote:Not exactly a trend, but it is occurring — Speed Networking. My understanding is that it carbons speed-dating or something like OCI on steroids. I assume the upside is if you have a candidate that is a “no” you only have to pretend you are interested for just a few minutes versus a half an hour.
When I first saw this I thought it was for smaller schools trying to build interest from local firms, but today I noticed a couple prominent schools are now engaged. Have you ever participated in one of these or would you, if invited.

I haven't. I doubt I would. Not really sure it makes sense for us.

Return to “Legal Employment”