V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks for taking questions. I'm curious if you've interviewed someone looking to switch offices (summered in one office, received an offer, and is looking to start in another office). I imagine some firms allow this transfer without another interview, just by talking to HR, but my firm requires another interview.

Would you treat this interview differently than a general callback (more of a formality)? What types of questions could the interviewer ask (since already has a lot of exposure to the firm by being a summer)? I get the fit questions (how does this office's culture compare to the other office, etc.), but not sure about other good lines of questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Advice for a judicial clerk who would like to get a biglaw job post-clerkship? What is the best way to network? If you meet someone at a legal event do you mind if they email you the next day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10 am

Would someone with no WE get a boost from having passed the CFA lv1 and lv2 exams? What if I have a CPA? How much does that help? ( but still no WE)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if you've stated this, but based on some of the recent questions, which NY corporate groups would you consider "elite"? And what do you think makes that distinction in your mind? Deal volume, associate experience, clients, etc.? Thanks.

Bands 1/2/3 of this are about right: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/99012

I'd be tempted to knock the bottom two (Paul Weiss and Shearman off of that list), Paul Weiss because it's not there yet, Shearman because it's not there anymore.

Otherwise, if you're seeing a huge, multi-billion dollar acquisition / disposition / ipo / financing, it's going to be one of those names on the list.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for taking questions. I'm curious if you've interviewed someone looking to switch offices (summered in one office, received an offer, and is looking to start in another office). I imagine some firms allow this transfer without another interview, just by talking to HR, but my firm requires another interview.

Would you treat this interview differently than a general callback (more of a formality)? What types of questions could the interviewer ask (since already has a lot of exposure to the firm by being a summer)? I get the fit questions (how does this office's culture compare to the other office, etc.), but not sure about other good lines of questions.

from your perspective I'd bring your A game. different firms look very differently at people in different offices. you should know the office very well, what it does, who the partners are. ask people you worked with on your summer what you should know. you should be super-prepared and very rationale about what you want to go there

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Advice for a judicial clerk who would like to get a biglaw job post-clerkship? What is the best way to network? If you meet someone at a legal event do you mind if they email you the next day?

no idea what best way to network is, but wouldn't mind a next-day email

go to events, talk to friends, other / former clerks, etc. good luck

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would someone with no WE get a boost from having passed the CFA lv1 and lv2 exams? What if I have a CPA? How much does that help? ( but still no WE)

helpful. but another .1 of GPA will be more helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm

What to do when you are told you are on the waitlist for a big law job V100. There are currently outstanding offers but I have no clue how far up or down I am on the waitlist. How to increase my chances?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What to do when you are told you are on the waitlist for a big law job V100. There are currently outstanding offers but I have no clue how far up or down I am on the waitlist. How to increase my chances?

tell them why you're interested in them. be specific.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:44 pm

I got a phone screener with a V50's satellite office in DC. Obviously this is fairly late in the recruiting process and I have offers (from less desirable firms) that are set to expire in a few weeks. And my experience with DC branch offices thus far is that they take forever and a day to get back to you after a CB.

If this screener pans out, I'd have a very limited amount of time to convert it to an offer if I'm to have an opportunity to accept it. So my question is, should I bring that fact up during the screener? Is it fairly certain that the interviewer will already know this? Even if he doesn't, would bringing it up hurt my chances?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a phone screener with a V50's satellite office in DC. Obviously this is fairly late in the recruiting process and I have offers (from less desirable firms) that are set to expire in a few weeks. And my experience with DC branch offices thus far is that they take forever and a day to get back to you after a CB.

If this screener pans out, I'd have a very limited amount of time to convert it to an offer if I'm to have an opportunity to accept it. So my question is, should I bring that fact up during the screener? Is it fairly certain that the interviewer will already know this? Even if he doesn't, would bringing it up hurt my chances?

I wouldn't bring it up w/the screener, but I would tell the recruiting staff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:38 am

2L here. Have a summer associate position at a firm in one of the corporate bands you mentioned above. At next year's 3L OCI I'd like to trade up; I have 3-4 firms in mind. Any advice? If you were in my situation, how would you position yourself?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. Have a summer associate position at a firm in one of the corporate bands you mentioned above. At next year's 3L OCI I'd like to trade up; I have 3-4 firms in mind. Any advice? If you were in my situation, how would you position yourself?

First step is not to view it as "trading up." Don't be a little shit gunner douche, especially because you haven't done your summer program. There are many associates at the firms you want to gun for who are probably looking for a job at your firm right now.

Focus on getting good experience as a summer, and if you find that you want to practice a certain something that your firm doesn't do, then focus on getting yourself to a firm that does that thing. But please, for god's sake, don't just trade up because your stupid shit insides can't get over not working at an elite m&a practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:08 am

Had a callback a week and half ago....was told by the hiring partner that I would hear back "next week at the latest".....haven't heard anything ....I assume dead in the water?? Should I make contact, and if so, how long should I wait ?

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:18 am

Aside from finance and consulting jobs, is there any other prior WE that is a plus?

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 am

thewaves wrote:Aside from finance and consulting jobs, is there any other prior WE that is a plus?

Military.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 pm

zweitbester wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L here. Have a summer associate position at a firm in one of the corporate bands you mentioned above. At next year's 3L OCI I'd like to trade up; I have 3-4 firms in mind. Any advice? If you were in my situation, how would you position yourself?

First step is not to view it as "trading up." Don't be a little shit gunner douche, especially because you haven't done your summer program. There are many associates at the firms you want to gun for who are probably looking for a job at your firm right now.

Focus on getting good experience as a summer, and if you find that you want to practice a certain something that your firm doesn't do, then focus on getting yourself to a firm that does that thing. But please, for god's sake, don't just trade up because your stupid shit insides can't get over not working at an elite m&a practice.

maybe wouldn't be as rage-filled as this, but not terrible advice

do your summer position first. see what the firm is like. see what you want to do and whether or not you can actually do it

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a callback a week and half ago....was told by the hiring partner that I would hear back "next week at the latest".....haven't heard anything ....I assume dead in the water?? Should I make contact, and if so, how long should I wait ?

sure, call recruiting, express your interest

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

sgt101st wrote:
thewaves wrote:Aside from finance and consulting jobs, is there any other prior WE that is a plus?

Military.

yes. also being a paralegal at a top firm (shows me you know what you're gettnig into) or other pressure-filled job. frankly any sort of WE that shows me you can be responsible, entrepreneurial, detail/deadline-oriented, etc. can be useful

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Putting this here because it's a great analysis of different firms' strengths in the NYC corporate market - well done, anonymous poster:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=219314&start=25#p7257232

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 pm

People talk about how work experience helps you outperform your GPA/class rank. I know it's not necessarily quantifiable, but how much would having two years of bulge bracket investment banking or MBB consulting help in terms of getting interviews and callbacks?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:People talk about how work experience helps you outperform your GPA/class rank. I know it's not necessarily quantifiable, but how much would having two years of bulge bracket investment banking or MBB consulting help in terms of getting interviews and callbacks?

it helps, but in my view moreso by making you stand out amongst the people who already meet our criteria, not by lifting you up over a bar you're under

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm

bumping, a bit slow again. happy new year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 pm

itbdvorm wrote:bumping, a bit slow again. happy new year

Happy new year!

I am a junior M&A associate at a V5. Am running diligence, writing first draft of the DD executive summary, drafting ancillary documents/SEC filings and drafting discrete sections of the transaction document. My hours are very high and I think that I am well-regarded.

Tips/advice for getting higher in the deal team food chain? There is another junior ~6 months more senior than me who is taking the first shot at drafting the transaction document whom I really admire/respect-- would love to get to his level.

Let me know if I am being a typical neurotic junior or if there is anything affirmative that I can be doing. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I'm a 3L, interested in a particular law firm. There was no SA program last year, so I'm guessing they'll need entry level attorneys this year, hopefully. I've spoken with recruiting, so they know I'm interested, along with the Chair of the Diversity Committee at the firm. Is there anything more I should be doing to have a better chance at this firm? There aren't any alumni from my T14, and none of my connections have any friends there, so I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”