V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby roranoa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 am

How dramatically does your workload increase after you make partner?

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 am

roranoa wrote:How dramatically does your workload increase after you make partner?



"is pimping easy?"

"hell yeah."

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are your impressions of Debevoise? Does it have inferior exit options vs. a place like S&C? (I'm open to both corp & lit). Thanks.


I've never understood the law student love for Debevoise, and friends I had who went there were uniformly miserable (may be in line with that whole expectations / reality thing). It's certainly a fine firm though the experience / work quality seems appreciably behind someplace like S&C.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

roranoa wrote:How dramatically does your workload increase after you make partner?


It's not more, it's not less, it's "different"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are your impressions of Debevoise? Does it have inferior exit options vs. a place like S&C? (I'm open to both corp & lit). Thanks.


I've never understood the law student love for Debevoise, and friends I had who went there were uniformly miserable (may be in line with that whole expectations / reality thing). It's certainly a fine firm though the experience / work quality seems appreciably behind someplace like S&C.


it's mostly because they push the whole "international arbitration" shtick at screeners etc. Law students love the concept of "international law," whatever they think it means.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are your impressions of Debevoise? Does it have inferior exit options vs. a place like S&C? (I'm open to both corp & lit). Thanks.


I've never understood the law student love for Debevoise, and friends I had who went there were uniformly miserable (may be in line with that whole expectations / reality thing). It's certainly a fine firm though the experience / work quality seems appreciably behind someplace like S&C.


it's mostly because they push the whole "international arbitration" shtick at screeners etc. Law students love the concept of "international law," whatever they think it means.


As a law student who is interested in international law and arbitration, specifically, I'm not sure what to make of this comment and the dismissive sentiment that it carries. Does this mean that it's a bad idea to go to Debevoise if you are interested in international arbitration?

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Icculus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are your impressions of Debevoise? Does it have inferior exit options vs. a place like S&C? (I'm open to both corp & lit). Thanks.


I've never understood the law student love for Debevoise, and friends I had who went there were uniformly miserable (may be in line with that whole expectations / reality thing). It's certainly a fine firm though the experience / work quality seems appreciably behind someplace like S&C.


it's mostly because they push the whole "international arbitration" shtick at screeners etc. Law students love the concept of "international law," whatever they think it means.


As a law student who is interested in international law and arbitration, specifically, I'm not sure what to make of this comment and the dismissive sentiment that it carries. Does this mean that it's a bad idea to go to Debevoise if you are interested in international arbitration?


It means the odds of getting a job in int'l arbitration are close to nil.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a law student who is interested in international law and arbitration, specifically, I'm not sure what to make of this comment and the dismissive sentiment that it carries. Does this mean that it's a bad idea to go to Debevoise if you are interested in international arbitration?


i was explaining why debevoise is popular among law students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a law student who is interested in international law and arbitration, specifically, I'm not sure what to make of this comment and the dismissive sentiment that it carries. Does this mean that it's a bad idea to go to Debevoise if you are interested in international arbitration?


i was explaining why debevoise is popular among law students.


OK.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:19 am

You are definitely the expert on why Debevoise is popular among law students. international arbitration for the win.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:You are definitely the expert on why Debevoise is popular among law students. international arbitration for the win.


(Elie Mystal in the fight of his life to justify Debevoise)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:31 am

I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess


International Arbitration group does not do internal investigations. Entirely different practice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:06 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess


Just curious, do you find corporate investigations work generally miserable/unsatisfying? From my limited knowledge, I thought it might interesting actually...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:11 pm

What's your take on the Kasowitz debacle?

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/a-fall-r ... me-offers/

fxb
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby fxb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess


Just curious, do you find corporate investigations work generally miserable/unsatisfying? From my limited knowledge, I thought it might interesting actually...
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

fxb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess


Just curious, do you find corporate investigations work generally miserable/unsatisfying? From my limited knowledge, I thought it might interesting actually...


Not to hijack whatever itbdvorm's response is, but in my view the problem with investigations is that it depends entirely on the investigation. Some are fascinating and engrossing and super-important for your client and you get some really interesting interviews out of it, but sometimes you are mired down in a sea of documents you can barely understand, the issues aren't interesting, and you have to pull teeth to get help from your client and the employees who just want you to go away. Also there are no opportunities for anything "fun." You don't get to litigate, don't get to stand up in court, and don't get to write advocacy pieces. Interviews can be sort of like depositions, I guess, but typically the written work product that you produce, if at all, is very bland (by design). There are some strengths, though.


These are great insights. Please keep them coming. Thanks for sharing.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a different poaster: I agree that international arbitration is rare. But assume for one minute that -- as unrealistic as this sounds -- I had an offer from Debevoise with assurances that I could work in the international arbitration department, what would you say about the firm? The people, the hours, exit options, stability etc. Seemed like a pretty good option to me, no? Or is there more hype I am missing? Not trying to be a jerk or to humblebrag, I promise, but since someone brought up the topic...


Sure, why not. I know nothing about international arbitration groups (other than that I suspect that's the group that got dragged into the miserable international internal investigations Debevoise was doing for awhile), but if they are a good one and you liked those people it's as good a bet as any I guess


International Arbitration group does not do internal investigations. Entirely different practice.


I'm aware of this - but I would guess that all the newly minted first years who wanted to work on "international litigation matters" got pulled onto this legendarily bad investigation. I can't speak to them in general, but Mary Jo apparently brought in an enormous matter for a large company investigating internal compliance issues a few years back that wrecked the lives of countless associates...otherwise, the advice is probably reasonably spot on

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's your take on the Kasowitz debacle?

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/a-fall-r ... me-offers/


sucks for all involved. i'm frankly not surprised that it doesn't happen more often, though it would make sense that it would happen at a firm like Kasowitz - smaller, only a few very specific practice groups. if suddenly slightly more popular or a downturn in that area, expected yield / availability could be dramatically off

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:30 pm

it's mostly because they push the whole "international arbitration" shtick at screeners etc. Law students love the concept of "international law," whatever they think it means.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I'm not interested in international arbitration, but I am curious if it is common for U.S. associates to spend time (like at least one year) at an international office if their practice involves international transactions or litigation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 pm

This past (2L) summer, I worked at a v100 firm and was no offered purely for economic/financial reasons (strong reviews/not a single negative review and was in fact recommended by my satellite office to be hired, but the home office decided against it because the firm hasn't been meeting their financial numbers this year). so in short, i got screwed.

To their credit, the firm isn't trying to bullshit the reason I was no offered and they even told me to just tell the truth to any firms that may ask why I didn't receive an offer. If I fully explain the situation to an employer during an interview (LOL...like firms are looking for 3L's...), do you think I could escape the no-offer stigma? What's your take on my situation?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:it's mostly because they push the whole "international arbitration" shtick at screeners etc. Law students love the concept of "international law," whatever they think it means.
[/quote][/quote]

I'm not interested in international arbitration, but I am curious if it is common for U.S. associates to spend time (like at least one year) at an international office if their practice involves international transactions or litigation?[/quote]

really depends firm to firm. some stuff happens.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:This past (2L) summer, I worked at a v100 firm and was no offered purely for economic/financial reasons (strong reviews/not a single negative review and was in fact recommended by my satellite office to be hired, but the home office decided against it because the firm hasn't been meeting their financial numbers this year). so in short, i got screwed.

To their credit, the firm isn't trying to bullshit the reason I was no offered and they even told me to just tell the truth to any firms that may ask why I didn't receive an offer. If I fully explain the situation to an employer during an interview (LOL...like firms are looking for 3L's...), do you think I could escape the no-offer stigma? What's your take on my situation?


I'd say it, say what they told me, and see if someone you clicked well with / partner would be willing to serve as a reference. Still may be tough. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:57 am

Not sure if you've stated this, but based on some of the recent questions, which NY corporate groups would you consider "elite"? And what do you think makes that distinction in your mind? Deal volume, associate experience, clients, etc.? Thanks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.