V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten feedback that I'm not enthusiastic enough (about the firm, about the people at the firm) in interviews. I'm not an easily excitable person, even if I am excited about something. How can I show more enthusiasm in the future? Honestly I don't even understand the concept of what interviewers are looking for with this. It's so obvious to me that I would want to work for the firm I'm interviewing with! I guess I forget to show it externally.


You should be able to explain, coherently, what in particular about a firm interests you. That demonstrates your enthusiasm. Also, are you naturally dour? Try not to be for a few hours.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Many of the firms that I've interviewed with pride themselves on their lockstep program. How much should a junior be worried about an eat what you kill compensation system?


Not too much. I guess if you're naturally quiet or a "shrinking violet" that's not as good a place. But practical ramifications on a junior's life will be minimal, in my view.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's. been a bit since OCI. How long before its acceptable to follow up, should I follow up with the interviewer or with recruiting?
Amy advice on how to go about convincing them I'm very interested and that they should hire me?


Not sure. 2 weeks? I'd buzz recruiting, not the actual interviewers. Note that you remain very interested.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:Firms are not homogenous. They don't have identical recruiting procedures. The people who make the final decision about hiring you will definitely see your transcript. The people you interview with may or may not. It just depends on the place.


So who are the "people making the final decision?" Are they not the people who interview me?


Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Often those people's reviews go into a blender and the outcome is reviewed by recruiting, hiring partner, committee, etc.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

I got a few PMs about Paul Weiss corporate so I want to add a few further thoughts:

1) I know they are supposedly in "growth" mode. But that "growth" is based largely on a few partners with a specific PE client who have moved a few times. I've heard that these individuals are fairly difficult to work for / with / across from, and accordingly who knows how long they'll stay in one place. That said, it is a premier client, and while I don't think PW gets the bulk of the work from that client, even a decent-sized slice is a pretty nice chunk of business.

2) PW is an excellent firm overall. Top-tier litigation group, one of the strongest in NYC. I've just never gotten the sense that they're one of the premier NY corporate firms. I literally don't think I've ever been across from them, and that's saying something.

3) So all-in, in terms of quality of corporate groups, I think they're more of a "highly regarded" than an "Elite". Given that I wanted to compare them to a Fried Frank and that's where they show up here, I guess the US M&A rankings probably get it about right on Chambers (http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/98417). Very good, just not really one of the "leading" corporate firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:38 pm

What is your impression of Sidley Austin NY on the corporate side? More akin to a Schulte or a Shearman?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Opinion of restructuring groups?

What do you think of K&E vs. Weil (debtor)? PW vs. DPW (creditor)? I've also been told that Debevoise, S&C, STB are growing...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Any insight as to the effect of leverage (i.e., partner-to-associate ratio) on a junior associate's experience? This question is prompted by the relatively high leverage in Paul, Weiss's litigation department, so if you have any PW-specific knowledge, that would be great, but I'm also just interested generally in what weight, if any, you think a prospective summer associate should give to leverage when comparing firms.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is your impression of Sidley Austin NY on the corporate side? More akin to a Schulte or a Shearman?


Probably somewhere in the Fried Frank / Willkie range. Schulte I put into its own category because of its heavy focus on hedge fund work. Not sure the best way to compare Sidley and Shearman - Shearman in some ways is closer to the elite firms due to its historical reputation and some of the big deals it still gets, but seems like an odd place / on the decline. Really don't see Sidley all that much, feel like they do smaller deals maybe?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Opinion of restructuring groups?

What do you think of K&E vs. Weil (debtor)? PW vs. DPW (creditor)? I've also been told that Debevoise, S&C, STB are growing...


Honestly don't know so so much here. Weil is obviously the gold standard for restructuring - really hard to top them and they usually get the "best" deals. K&E obviously good as well but I think is a notch below (along w/everyone else). On creditor-side really don't know much...though hadn't realized that Debevoise / S&C had restructuring groups at all?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight as to the effect of leverage (i.e., partner-to-associate ratio) on a junior associate's experience? This question is prompted by the relatively high leverage in Paul, Weiss's litigation department, so if you have any PW-specific knowledge, that would be great, but I'm also just interested generally in what weight, if any, you think a prospective summer associate should give to leverage when comparing firms.


Can be both meaningful and meaningless. The practical impact is that you will be working under associates more than directly for partners. That may or may not mean you get crappier work (probably somewhat). You should frankly ask juniors what they generally do

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Could you please advise me on something?

I had a call with an old friend who's department chair at a firm. I've got significant work experience that apparently is a great fit for satellite office X. I live near satellite office Y.
Ordinarily neither hire SAs.
I ended up going to office Y to have a video interview with the office head of X and then the department chair for the practice group I'd work with, followed by a junior partner and an associate at X. At the time I asked the junior partner what the expected turnaround time would be and he said about a month

I really want to follow up, as its been over a month. Should I:
A) follow up with my friend (main office I)
B) follow up with recruiting (main office II)
C) follow up with junior partner (satellite Y)
D) follow up with practice group chair (satellite X)
E) follow up with office head (satellite X)
F) wait for them

Extra info:
My grades are sub par for the firm. Firm is top for practice group, for which I have legitimate interest and strong résumé. The firm typically hires SAs by practice group. I have no other offers to use as leverage, though there are some OCI firms that have not gotten back to me

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could you please advise me on something?

I had a call with an old friend who's department chair at a firm. I've got significant work experience that apparently is a great fit for satellite office X. I live near satellite office Y.
Ordinarily neither hire SAs.
I ended up going to office Y to have a video interview with the office head of X and then the department chair for the practice group I'd work with, followed by a junior partner and an associate at X. At the time I asked the junior partner what the expected turnaround time would be and he said about a month

I really want to follow up, as its been over a month. Should I:
A) follow up with my friend (main office I)
B) follow up with recruiting (main office II)
C) follow up with junior partner (satellite Y)
D) follow up with practice group chair (satellite X)
E) follow up with office head (satellite X)
F) wait for them


Extra info:
My grades are sub par for the firm. Firm is top for practice group, for which I have legitimate interest and strong résumé. The firm typically hires SAs by practice group. I have no other offers to use as leverage, though there are some OCI firms that have not gotten back to me

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you


follow-up with friend to see what he's heard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 pm

At lunch, associate interviewers were cold and distant, seemed to be laying "traps," i.e. "hey so what do you think about religion"...not as blatant, but obviously my response was to be judged. Warmed up toward the end. Am I fucked? Did I bomb the partner interviews and they got word I was a no-offer? Or should I be happy they were still intently evaluating me? Or neither--do I have everything wrong...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Can you elaborate on how offers work from a callback? Does each interviewer fill out a form that says "offer" or "no offer". Does it need to be unanimous, do some people have more weight than others. Any insight would be helpful and interesting.

fxb
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby fxb » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At lunch, associate interviewers were cold and distant, seemed to be laying "traps," i.e. "hey so what do you think about religion"...not as blatant, but obviously my response was to be judged. Warmed up toward the end. Am I fucked? Did I bomb the partner interviews and they got word I was a no-offer? Or should I be happy they were still intently evaluating me? Or neither--do I have everything wrong...
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you elaborate on how offers work from a callback? Does each interviewer fill out a form that says "offer" or "no offer". Does it need to be unanimous, do some people have more weight than others. Any insight would be helpful and interesting.


varies from firm to firm. most firms ask for a grade, some i think are yes/nos. some firms may need unanimity, some firms goes into a smaller committee for review. most firms ask for a description (since one person's C may be another person's B may be another person's A-) to back up a review.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I think I want transactional work in NY. I am choosing between Stroock and CC. I heard Stroock is more of a lifestyle firm (which is obviously nice) but really had an equal impression of the firms (mayyybe slightly nicer people and nicer building at Stroock) but not much of a difference. So pretty much choosing CC because the rankings/ect. make me think it is better, thoughts? how do exit options in NYC match up ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey V15 folks, can anyone comment on what the feel is for the Weil partner departures in Dallas? I'm interested in NYC, but I'm wondering about the feel for all this in a satellite office.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/the-soap ... l-gotshal/

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I want transactional work in NY. I am choosing between Stroock and CC. I heard Stroock is more of a lifestyle firm (which is obviously nice) but really had an equal impression of the firms (mayyybe slightly nicer people and nicer building at Stroock) but not much of a difference. So pretty much choosing CC because the rankings/ect. make me think it is better, thoughts? how do exit options in NYC match up ?


you likely will have better exit options from CC (especially internationally). i don't see the NYC office of either firm very often

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey V15 folks, can anyone comment on what the feel is for the Weil partner departures in Dallas? I'm interested in NYC, but I'm wondering about the feel for all this in a satellite office.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/the-soap ... l-gotshal/


seems unlikely to be very meaningful - partner groups leave firms all the time...

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:10 pm

in response to a PM about Jones Day NY:

Interesting firm - I've never really been able to put a good finger on them. I don't think they've been as successful as some of the other non-"native" firms (Kirkland, Latham, Gibson) in establishing a NY presence. Part of it seems to be that they don't really have much of a capital markets practice to speak of; I was surprised when I checked Chambers (http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Firms/8429-98395) but they have zero rankings for capital markets, and that's really one of the "engines" that drive NYC. Can't really speak to their litigation group, maybe that's a bit different. And obviously nationwide they have a more established brand. But NYC they're still in a bit of "no-man's land" with a few other firms - not big or established enough to be a true major player, not really a "boutique"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I had a screener that I thought I absolutely killed it (in the good way). Hit it off well with both interviewers (honestly thought it was my best screener). However, I did not get a CB (or rejection FWIW). I'm thinking I did not get a CB for yield protection reasons (they said 1/3 and I'm 15%/LR). If this matters, the firm is not big law and they are regional.

I'm thinking about hitting them up to see if there are any opportunities since my CB are not going so hot. Have you ever seen this work?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener that I thought I absolutely killed it (in the good way). Hit it off well with both interviewers (honestly thought it was my best screener). However, I did not get a CB (or rejection FWIW). I'm thinking I did not get a CB for yield protection reasons (they said 1/3 and I'm 15%/LR). If this matters, the firm is not big law and they are regional.

I'm thinking about hitting them up to see if there are any opportunities since my CB are not going so hot. Have you ever seen this work?


worth a shot. expressing continued interest is always a good thing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm

What are your impressions of Debevoise? Does it have inferior exit options vs. a place like S&C? (I'm open to both corp & lit). Thanks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.