V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:27 pm

for diverse candidates with mediocre grades, would your firm be more likely to give them a callback through a diversity fair screener than their school's OCI? that is, are diversity fairs sometimes or often a sort of "backdoor" around your firm's GPA cutoffs/preferences? assuming diverse candidates at a T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's a completely valid question. But it begs mine: what is the "cut?"

Original OP here, thanks for asking this followup. I had the same question as well.

In my original post, I actually wasnt referring to a hard cut, rather, just being a relatively weaker candidate. So if a firm only interviews people with above a 3.5, I was actually referring to someone with a 3.51 in that the person is relatively weaker compared to most of the other interviewees. I actually wasnt referring to someone who was completely below the cut.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's a completely valid question. But it begs mine: what is the "cut?"

Original OP here, thanks for asking this followup. I had the same question as well.

In my original post, I actually wasnt referring to a hard cut, rather, just being a relatively weaker candidate. So if a firm only interviews people with above a 3.5, I was actually referring to someone with a 3.51 in that the person is relatively weaker compared to most of the other interviewees. I actually wasnt referring to someone who was completely below the cut.

Anonymous User wrote:What I've been told by a couple hiring partners is that, once you're above the cutoff, a higher GPA only matters insofar as it relates to LR, or things along the line of Stone Fiske scholar.

Basically, no, you aren't seen as a "weaker" candidate. Once you're above the cut, GPA doesn't matter anymore. The things that may accompany a higher GPA are benefits to other applicants, however.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 pm

I thought so too. It isn't a question I feel comfortable asking in any other forum. Maybe I'm being a bit neurotic but the state of the legal job market can put anybody on edge. It's unfortunate that people in this thread are compelled to shoot down legitimate questions though. If it doesn't help you then just ignore it.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I thought so too. It isn't a question I feel comfortable asking in any other forum. Maybe I'm being a bit neurotic but the state of the legal job market can put anybody on edge. It's unfortunate that people in this thread are compelled to shoot down legitimate questions though. If it doesn't help you then just ignore it.

stop asking questions about the cut. there is no definite answer. it depends firm to firm and exceptions change candidate to candidate.

we have set cuts for each school (which change year to year). our exception criteria and willingness to grant change year to year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:39 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

stop asking questions about the cut. there is no definite answer. it depends firm to firm and exceptions change candidate to candidate.

we have set cuts for each school (which change year to year). our exception criteria and willingness to grant change year to year.

Thank you. I'm sure it depends firm to firm as do most of the answers to these questions. I was asking based on your experience. But I will takeaway that even a .01 differential is considered below the cut and I will have to be an exception to be considered.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:55 pm

How does your firm deal with failing associates? Is there a probation program? How bad do you have to do to be kicked out, stealth via severance agreement or otherwise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Do firms look differently at someone who wrote-on to LR as opposed to graded-on to LR?

This was asked a few pages back but I couldn't find a response.

Thanks for posting btw

guano

Postby guano » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms look differently at someone who wrote-on to LR as opposed to graded-on to LR?

This was asked a few pages back but I couldn't find a response.

Thanks for posting btw

The response was that it makes no difference

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 am

Any advice for me? I'm a T2 transfer to a transfer-friendly school in the lower T14. I have rather good grades, but not great. I somehow have over a dozen preselect screeners at a disability job fair. Why do firms want to interview me? How can I get callbacks (and offers)?

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am

I am hoping to avoid the entire OCI ordeal. I am an SA at a firm with a traditionally high offer rate and traditionally they tend to make their announcement in mid-August. Why do some firms wait to tender their decision.... what is the rationale?

I am 100% sure that the answer is no.... is there an acceptable protocol to inquiring my offer status prior to OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm spending my 1L summer at a government agency where lots of biglaw alumni end up. Two weeks ago, an attorney I've been doing a lot of work with offered to make a call for me. I just talked to him to confirm because my last day is coming up and I've got my interview scheduled. He said that since we last spoke, he got assigned to a case where his former firm is on the other side. He checked with our agency's ethics office and he's definitely not allowed to make a reccomendation for me. He said that he is allowed to talk about me, so if I can get my interviewer to call him, he'd be able to talk about me in a way that's not a reccomendation but make it clear that he would reccomend me if he could.

If you were interviewing me and I handed you the business card of someone who used to work at your firm and said something along the lines of "Bob isn't able to call you because of reasons I'm not privy to, but I suggest you call him," [this is the wording he suggested], would you call? He suggested not saying "Bob can't call you because our ethics office is stupid, but he would if he could and you can call him," or anything with the word "ethics" in it, which he thinks will scare people off. Thoughts? How can I get the person interviewing me to call? I feel like it will look weird because most firm alumni will make a call for you if they like you and I'm worried my interviewer will interpret this as me not being very good.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm spending my 1L summer at a government agency where lots of biglaw alumni end up. Two weeks ago, an attorney I've been doing a lot of work with offered to make a call for me. I just talked to him to confirm because my last day is coming up and I've got my interview scheduled. He said that since we last spoke, he got assigned to a case where his former firm is on the other side. He checked with our agency's ethics office and he's definitely not allowed to make a reccomendation for me. He said that he is allowed to talk about me, so if I can get my interviewer to call him, he'd be able to talk about me in a way that's not a reccomendation but make it clear that he would reccomend me if he could.

If you were interviewing me and I handed you the business card of someone who used to work at your firm and said something along the lines of "Bob isn't able to call you because of reasons I'm not privy to, but I suggest you call him," [this is the wording he suggested], would you call? He suggested not saying "Bob can't call you because our ethics office is stupid, but he would if he could and you can call him," or anything with the word "ethics" in it, which he thinks will scare people off. Thoughts? How can I get the person interviewing me to call? I feel like it will look weird because most firm alumni will make a call for you if they like you and I'm worried my interviewer will interpret this as me not being very good.

give up. it won't work. but you can say you heard about the firm in part due to a discussion with Bob who raved about XYZ practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How is dating an associate in the office viewed? Girlfriend will be at the same firm and wondering how I should approach it come this fall.

is she there already? varies widely firm to firm

Going in together. Would it be different if she was a class ahead of me?

bump.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How is dating an associate in the office viewed? Girlfriend will be at the same firm and wondering how I should approach it come this fall.

is she there already? varies widely firm to firm

Going in together. Would it be different if she was a class ahead of me?

bump.

did you summer together? just be open about it. lots of people date co-workers. not a big deal. might be different if a supervisor/supervisee relationship.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 am

OP, do you watch TV? Do you watch Game of Thrones by any chance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

How should I handle a LOR? I received a LOR from the Judge I'm clerking for. Specifically, their spouse is a senior partner at a firm I would love to work at. Any advice on this would be great.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am

fumagalli wrote:OP, do you watch TV? Do you watch Game of Thrones by any chance?

sure, why

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am

How would it be viewed if a male SA's wife were going to have a baby during the summer. Would the firm be cool with the SA taking a few days or a week off?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:How should I handle a LOR? I received a LOR from the Judge I'm clerking for. Specifically, their spouse is a senior partner at a firm I would love to work at. Any advice on this would be great.

ask the judge to pass along to spouse

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:How would it be viewed if a male SA's wife were going to have a baby during the summer. Would the firm be cool with the SA taking a few days or a week off?

probably

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

itbdvorm wrote:
fumagalli wrote:OP, do you watch TV? Do you watch Game of Thrones by any chance?

sure, why

I just thought you would be too busy for TV. I guess Biglaw lawyers don't miss out that much.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:39 pm

iLaw wrote:I am hoping to avoid the entire OCI ordeal. I am an SA at a firm with a traditionally high offer rate and traditionally they tend to make their announcement in mid-August. Why do some firms wait to tender their decision.... what is the rationale?

I am 100% sure that the answer is no.... is there an acceptable protocol to inquiring my offer status prior to OCI.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

iLaw wrote:
iLaw wrote:I am hoping to avoid the entire OCI ordeal. I am an SA at a firm with a traditionally high offer rate and traditionally they tend to make their announcement in mid-August. Why do some firms wait to tender their decision.... what is the rationale?

if you are 100% sure, you don't need to ask.......

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:46 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
iLaw wrote:

I am 100% sure that the answer is no....is there an acceptable protocol to inquiring my offer status prior to OCI.

if you are 100% sure, you don't need to ask.......

Please permit me to rephrase.... is there an acceptable protocol to inquiring my offer status prior to OCI? (Has anyone ever asked you about their status prior to the official announcement).

Also, what is the rationale regarding firms delaying to say one way or the other regarding offer/no offer? Thx.

Return to “Legal Employment”