V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My grades are great (top 5%) but I just found out I didn't make LR. Obviously this is going to hurt me in interviews, but how can I minimize the damage?

Posting school will be helpful here. Top 5% at a T2 is much different than top 5% at HYS, and I'm pretty sure journal expectations change as well (grade-on/all write on).

T1 school (but not HYS). Everyone has to participate in the write-on.

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm trying to help you. Do people grade-on at your school?

If people can grade-on (with a good-faith effort) then it might indicate that you totally botched the write-on(LR people didn't think you even put in a good-faith effort). If everyone must write-on, then you're likely someone with good grades who just isn't a top-writer and that will probably change the answer.

You don't grade-on, per se, but some of the top students may get onto LR by having a paper that isn't in the bottom 25% of those graded (is that what you mean by good-faith effort?). We don't know which students received this treatment but I'm pretty sure I did and pretty sure I must have botched my write-on.

FWIW, I didn't slack-off on the write-on and tried to put out my best work. Perhaps by Bluebooking was total shit or my thesis was utterly unoriginal, but I was surprised considering I did put in a sincere effort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so I'm just inside the top 1/3 at a midwest t35. was selected for an interview with a v10, and it was pre-select, not lottery, so they definitely chose by resumes. in all seriousness, why did I get an interview?

any tips for the interview given the situation?

It's happened to me also. Just impress them with your knowledge of their firm, etc.

Did it work out? Or are they just interviewing me for shits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Heavy stubble, properly groomed with borders on the neck and chin. In an interview. Not a good thing? Or not gonna matter?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heavy stubble, properly groomed with borders on the neck and chin. In an interview. Not a good thing? Or not gonna matter?

terrible idea. beard is questionable enough.

aces

Postby aces » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:This is mostly right. If you've done 30 deals for a client and done an impressive job every time the fact that you're not the most charming person in the world doesn't matter much. But it also vastly depends on the group. You'll find more prevalence of charm in "marquee" groups than you will in "support" groups

Yes but how did these people get the job in the first place if they have to pass a callback where the partners evaluate them and their charm, esp. @ a place like V15 or CSM?

You don't have to be especially charming to land an offer at a V15 firm or even Cravath, especially if you have top grades at a top school. There are certainly SAs at my firm with the personality of a wet rag but who are brilliant and work hard.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 am

Do ppl from lesser schools perform relatively poorly at your firm than do ppl from HYS? Or maybe there is a larger portion of such ppl from that lower t14 group?

Btw, are lawyers self-aware of their law firms' ranking the way law school students are with law school rankings? (HYS CCN MVP BNDCG) Or is it more like "wacthell, cravath ....and the rest"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Do you like when a student asks you a question(s) in an interview? If so, do you have an example of a good question?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 am

fumagalli wrote:Do ppl from lesser schools perform relatively poorly at your firm than do ppl from HYS? Or maybe there is a larger portion of such ppl from that lower t14 group?

Btw, are lawyers self-aware of their law firms' ranking the way law school students are with law school rankings? (HYS CCN MVP BNDCG) Or is it more like "wacthell, cravath ....and the rest"

No / no. "Ranking" is much more a thing amongst practice groups than amongst firms. If you want to do PE, you'd much rather be at Weil than Cravath, for example.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you like when a student asks you a question(s) in an interview? If so, do you have an example of a good question?

Yes. No specific examples but questions that have demonstrated you've thought about who we are / what I personally do are always winners

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:51 am

OP, how much of a detriment is a lack of Law Review going to be for someone with top grades? If I'm asked about why I didn't make Law Review in an interview, how should I respond?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP, how much of a detriment is a lack of Law Review going to be for someone with top grades? If I'm asked about why I didn't make Law Review in an interview, how should I respond?

Piggybacking off of that, how much of a detriment is a lack of journal for someone with median/around median grades?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP, how much of a detriment is a lack of Law Review going to be for someone with top grades? If I'm asked about why I didn't make Law Review in an interview, how should I respond?

Piggybacking off of that, how much of a detriment is a lack of journal for someone with median/around median grades?

Law Review - really depends on the school, as was said before. "Detriment" is the wrong word. It may stop you from getting specific jobs but should have other opportunities.

Journal generally - meh. Might ask why not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am

Disclaimer: I have not read through all 80+ pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if I have asked a repeat questions.

1) Do firms look differently at someone who wrote-on to LR as opposed to graded-on to LR?
2) Does it come across as trying to hard to name drop people you have met a LR firm mixers during an interview with the firm?
3) During the "do you have any questions for us" portion of the interview, I try and ask 3-4 questions. Is this a good number?

Thanks for doing this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:07 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Law Review - really depends on the school, as was said before. "Detriment" is the wrong word. It may stop you from getting specific jobs but should have other opportunities.

Journal generally - meh. Might ask why not?

If they don't see journal on your resume, will they look at a writing sample to assess your writing ability? Or do they just automatically assume that you messed up (especially if you did do the journal competition and didn't make it).

Thanks for doing this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:12 pm

How much do personal connections (lunches, phone calls, meetings over coffee) at firms help? If someone has already spoken to someone in the firm, are they involved in the hiring process?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 pm

For a lateral junior associate hire, how long between the first interview and being asked back for a second at a big firm in a secondary market? At the first, I was given signs of interest - coming close to being expressly told to expect a call for a second interview. But no call yet, it has been one full week. Should I give up hope?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:08 pm

I know that you say being a URM is a point but not more important than strong credentials but does actual race or school make a difference? If someone is an AA at HYS and has a great interview, would you be more willing to dip farther below your grade cut off?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 am

Is there a website known exclusively to lawyers? Some place on the internet for lawyers just like TLS is for law school students(and prospective law school students)?

Can you tell us? :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Disclaimer: I have not read through all 80+ pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if I have asked a repeat questions.

1) Do firms look differently at someone who wrote-on to LR as opposed to graded-on to LR?
2) Does it come across as trying to hard to name drop people you have met a LR firm mixers during an interview with the firm?
3) During the "do you have any questions for us" portion of the interview, I try and ask 3-4 questions. Is this a good number?

Thanks for doing this.

I'm also interested in question 1

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 am

roranoa wrote:Is there a website known exclusively to lawyers? Some place on the internet for lawyers just like TLS is for law school students(and prospective law school students)?

Can you tell us? :D

http://www.top-law-associates.com

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heavy stubble, properly groomed with borders on the neck and chin. In an interview. Not a good thing? Or not gonna matter?

what firm do you work at, the yankees? most people i know from OCI (CCN) who had beards were commended for not looking like generic grown babies with red blotches everywhere, and at my v5 summer job many attorneys and summers have beards, let alone trimmed stubble. and this is nyc, not sf or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:52 am

I would absolutely not go in with stubble. You risk having some throwback interview you and find it to be inappropriate.

It's like wearing a pin-stripe suite. Yeah, someone will like it and think it's bold. But others will think it's too out there for an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would absolutely not go in with stubble. You risk having some throwback interview you and find it to be inappropriate.

It's like wearing a pin-stripe suite. Yeah, someone will like it and think it's bold. But others will think it's too out there for an interview.

as the original replier to this absurdity, my recommendation would be: your interviewer doesn't care. as long as it looks somewhat neat, you are absolutely fine.

but to be honest, i also wore a "pin-stripe [sic] suite [sic]" to my interviews and did just fine.

seriously, nobody cares. this is all risk-aversion worship to the most sadistic degree possible.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I did an interview in a suite that had weird pinstriping on the walls before.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

what firm do you work at, the yankees? most people i know from OCI (CCN) who had beards were commended for not looking like generic grown babies with red blotches everywhere, and at my v5 summer job many attorneys and summers have beards, let alone trimmed stubble. and this is nyc, not sf or something.

Red blotches? It sounds like a lot of people at CCN need to learn to shave properly. I wouldn't give them a call back for that reason alone.

I use a safety razor and I don't even get "blotches" or cuts. Dear lord.

Return to “Legal Employment”