V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:31 pm

Interest sections on resumes. Your take?

And what's up with this: firms say they only interview top 15% at a school but the average gpa of people at that school offered screeners by that firm is top 30%.

Can we assume the firm is just humoring the school and the people significantly below their stated "minimum" will get an interview but no-offered?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interest sections on resumes. Your take?

And what's up with this: firms say they only interview top 15% at a school but the average gpa of people at that school offered screeners by that firm is top 30%.

Can we assume the firm is just humoring the school and the people significantly below their stated "minimum" will get an interview but no-offered?

By screeners do you mean callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:

No, I mean screeners. This is a preselect school. Unknown info on screeners to callbacks. So I suppose the firm could be no-offering post-callback or declining to callback in the first place. Either way, a whole bunch of people are wasting their time at screeners. (Or, IP interviewees could be bringing down the average. But that seems a little less likely, unless close to half of a firms's screening interviewees are IP.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:03 am

Is it weird or a turnoff to list your position with an LSAT Prep company on your resume for OCI?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 am

From among those you actually gave an offer, who had the most odd or shady background (regarding WE or age or college majors). Or did everyone you gave an offer pretty much fell into a stereotyped criteria.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:

No, I mean screeners. This is a preselect school. Unknown info on screeners to callbacks. So I suppose the firm could be no-offering post-callback or declining to callback in the first place. Either way, a whole bunch of people are wasting their time at screeners. (Or, IP interviewees could be bringing down the average. But that seems a little less likely, unless close to half of a firms's screening interviewees are IP.)

Interest section - be interesting and willing to talk about it. Avoid the overly bizarre.

No idea re: pre-select/etc. I would suspect if they pre-select you have a chance, but what do I know

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it weird or a turnoff to list your position with an LSAT Prep company on your resume for OCI?

It's a "whatever" I guess

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:56 pm

roranoa wrote:From among those you actually gave an offer, who had the most odd or shady background (regarding WE or age or college majors). Or did everyone you gave an offer pretty much fell into a stereotyped criteria.

Lots of variety. The weirder your background the more you might need to wow me (with personality, grades or both). But definitely doable

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Can being too attractive work against a female interviewee?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can being too attractive work against a female interviewee?

Not as long as you're presentable an earnest. If you don't get along with women that's an issue too I guess

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm

"So, tell me about yourself..."

What's the best way to tackle this question?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"So, tell me about yourself..."

How did I not think of this question. God almighty, if this isn't the worst question on the face of the planet. I STILL haven't found a way to answer this question while remaining 100% comfortable.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How did I not think of this question. God almighty, if this isn't the worst question on the face of the planet. I STILL haven't found a way to answer this question while remaining 100% comfortable.

Accidental anon when I posed the question... Anyways, yeah, it's definitely my least favorite question. It's easy to dismiss the question as a sign of a lazy interviewer, but it's usually one of the hardest questions to answer without rambling, inducing a yawn, or missing the ball completely. If I were an interviewer, I'd likely ask it just to see how student handled it. I'm looking forward to hearing what OP has to say about it.

I just end up sounding like one of the contestants on a cheesy '70s dating gameshow. You have my resume right in front of you and we are about to speak for 20-30 minutes. You'll learn a little about myself. Can't wait to see what OP has to say about it as well.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
roranoa wrote:From among those you actually gave an offer, who had the most odd or shady background (regarding WE or age or college majors). Or did everyone you gave an offer pretty much fell into a stereotyped criteria.

Lots of variety. The weirder your background the more you might need to wow me (with personality, grades or both). But definitely doable

Can you give us an example of a "weird" background? (b/c, c'mon, that's kinda subjective)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:57 am

If I transfer from a low T14 to CCN and already made a bid list for my original lower T14 school, and for arguments sake lets say the list was the perfect balance of reaches, safeties ect. should my new bid list for CCN be pretty much the same firms (as in if Ropes was slightly too high of reach before i transferred, should it remain too high of a reach?), should I bid slightly more aggressively than my original list? less aggressive?

Thank you
-Anon whose read all 83 pages

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I transfer from a low T14 to CCN and already made a bid list for my original lower T14 school, and for arguments sake lets say the list was the perfect balance of reaches, safeties ect. should my new bid list for CCN be pretty much the same firms (as in if Ropes was slightly too high of reach before i transferred, should it remain too high of a reach?), should I bid slightly more aggressively than my original list? less aggressive?

Thank you

A question for you sir.

When you transfer, is it all about grades? Or do recommendations, PS's, resume play a big part as well?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I transfer from a low T14 to CCN and already made a bid list for my original lower T14 school, and for arguments sake lets say the list was the perfect balance of reaches, safeties ect. should my new bid list for CCN be pretty much the same firms (as in if Ropes was slightly too high of reach before i transferred, should it remain too high of a reach?), should I bid slightly more aggressively than my original list? less aggressive?

Thank you

"[transfers] will be perceived like someone from the old school."

-OP earlier in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:

Thank you

I know that, I am just not sure whether he meant , transfers are perceived exactly as someone from their own school, or perceived almost like someone but with a little boost in which case i can bid a few more of my reaches. Since if they treated exactly like someone form their old school, transfering would in fact be bad since you would lose LR and thus be a worse candidate in which case i would bid less of my reaches.

And to the other poster, i transfered for personal reasons, and i have no clue what played a role, my GPA was on the low median side of incoming transfer students (as in normally ppl with my grades can transfer, but usually a .05 or .1 higher is a much safer bet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:51 pm

What's your sense of how practice group decisions are made for incoming associates? Obviously raw numbers are decided by business outlook, but if a group is oversubscribed, what determines who gets into the group?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 pm

My school's career office is saying that "behavioral interviewing" is on the rise. For example, interviews are supposedly becoming more full of questions like "Tell me about a time when you did X/showed Y/Z happened and how did you respond?"

To you think that's true? Have your interviews changed at all with time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

I KNOW you will refuse to answer this question. So, instead of "answering" it, can I ask that you "give the least bullshit numerical answer?" You can trust that I will use the "least bullshit numerical answer" only as a guide. But. Here it goes: 3 years serious work experience. Large, well-known firm in a prestigious industry. Accolades. How much GPA does that "buy" me that I can add to my actual GPA to reach a firm's internal, unstated GPA cutoff.

Yes, different for every firm. So, let's apply this ONLY to firms that would at least consider to hire in my actual GPA range, even if they rarley do so. I already know which firms meet that definition from another source.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Accidental anon when I posed the question... Anyways, yeah, it's definitely my least favorite question. It's easy to dismiss the question as a sign of a lazy interviewer, but it's usually one of the hardest questions to answer without rambling, inducing a yawn, or missing the ball completely. If I were an interviewer, I'd likely ask it just to see how student handled it. I'm looking forward to hearing what OP has to say about it.

I just end up sounding like one of the contestants on a cheesy '70s dating gameshow. You have my resume right in front of you and we are about to speak for 20-30 minutes. You'll learn a little about myself. Can't wait to see what OP has to say about it as well.

So I have resorted to variations of this before. Becomes increasingly likely as my day goes on, I get tired, lazy, forgetful, etc. It's a good opportunity for you to steer the conversation to anything you think you can make you compelling. What can you talk about where you can shine?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Can you give us an example of a "weird" background? (b/c, c'mon, that's kinda subjective)

See Potter Stewart

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:

Thank you

I know that, I am just not sure whether he meant , transfers are perceived exactly as someone from their own school, or perceived almost like someone but with a little boost in which case i can bid a few more of my reaches. Since if they treated exactly like someone form their old school, transfering would in fact be bad since you would lose LR and thus be a worse candidate in which case i would bid less of my reaches.

And to the other poster, i transfered for personal reasons, and i have no clue what played a role, my GPA was on the low median side of incoming transfer students (as in normally ppl with my grades can transfer, but usually a .05 or .1 higher is a much safer bet

Exactly the same. What special powers, exactly, do you think transferring bestows upon you?

Return to “Legal Employment”