V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:nah. though i think someone did once parrot my words back to me and it was weird.

the gear would be utterly unnoticed by me

Did you hire him? :D

heh. wish i could remember. i see too many students to remember anyone anymore other than people who curse, make a dirty joke or steal my water (yes, all happened)

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

itbdvorm wrote:
roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:nah. though i think someone did once parrot my words back to me and it was weird.

heh. wish i could remember. i see too many students to remember anyone anymore other than people who curse, make a dirty joke or steal my water (yes, all happened)

Did you hire any of those? :P

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 am

guano wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
roranoa wrote:

Did you hire any of those? :P

no, no i did not

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Generally speaking. On the hiring committee, what say does the managing partner have in offering SAs. No more or less than others on the committee, or . . .

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally speaking. On the hiring committee, what say does the managing partner have in offering SAs. No more or less than others on the committee, or . . .

think animal farm. all members are equal, some are more equal than others

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks so much for doing this, your replies have been genuinely very helpful.

I'm top 5%, LR, at St. John's, and I'm worried because my school's been plummeting in the USNWR rankings lately (98th currently), which places me at even more of a disadvantage against students from Columbia, NYU and Fordham. Do you think students outside the top 1% stand a chance at SA at, say, a firm like Weil?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks so much for doing this, your replies have been genuinely very helpful.

I'm top 5%, LR, at St. John's, and I'm worried because my school's been plummeting in the USNWR rankings lately (98th currently), which places me at even more of a disadvantage against students from Columbia, NYU and Fordham. Do you think students outside the top 1% stand a chance at SA at, say, a firm like Weil?

honestly no idea...would think there would be a chance though

LFH_intheflesh

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 am

tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks for all of the info so far. Very helpful.

I am a top 20% URM at Iowa with a 1L SA at a ~200 atty firm. I had no illusions of biglaw from Iowa, but I found myself in an okay spot after 1L. Do I have an outside chance at v100 NYC or not?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all of the info so far. Very helpful.

I am a top 20% URM at Iowa with a 1L SA at a ~200 atty firm. I had no illusions of biglaw from Iowa, but I found myself in an okay spot after 1L. Do I have an outside chance at v100 NYC or not?

honestly not really sure. I'm presuming Iowa's a decently ranked school, top 20% sounds pretty good. where do law review kids go? ask some of them for advice, they'll know what's possible much more than i will. i strongly suspect chicago's more of a possibility than NYC

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for all of the info so far. Very helpful.

honestly not really sure. I'm presuming Iowa's a decently ranked school, top 20% sounds pretty good. where do law review kids go? ask some of them for advice, they'll know what's possible much more than i will. i strongly suspect chicago's more of a possibility than NYC

I think with a few exceptions NYC is almost always more of a possibility than Chicago

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
roranoa wrote:

Story time! How did that last one go down?

Can't remember exact specifics, something like the water was sitting on the table and student just grabbed it and drank from it. the fact that i was then stuck for about 2 hrs until my next break w/no water was pretty annoying

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:38 am

It's been almost two years now since you started this thread.

When do you think you'll make partner?
(I read somewhere on this thread that you think you're on partner track)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:29 am

roranoa wrote:It's been almost two years now since you started this thread.

When do you think you'll make partner?
(I read somewhere on this thread that you think you're on partner track)

who says i haven't yet? ;)

in all seriousness, i really don't want to give away too many details on that. there are only so many people making partner each year that meet the criteria i've disclosed already. i still feel good that it will happen soon.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

in all seriousness, i really don't want to give away too many details on that. there are only so many people making partner each year that meet the criteria i've disclosed already. i still feel good that it will happen soon.

Good point :D (I guess I just assumed you'll be too busy to keep on this thread once you make partner)

This is a different question, but, how much do partners really make? Is it really in the millions?
Or how long do you have to stay partner to make millions?

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks for sticking with this thread for as long as you have.

Not sure if or how you'll be able to answer this but...

How worried should we be about the Weil cuts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Generally, are the exit options better for litigators or corporate 2-4 years out?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Good point :D (I guess I just assumed you'll be too busy to keep on this thread once you make partner)

This is a different question, but, how much do partners really make? Is it really in the millions?
Or how long do you have to stay partner to make millions?

wide, wide range. hugely depends on the firm and the system. some firms have huge spreads, some tight bands. you can safely assume that a mid-level partner at a v15 is making over a million (probably well over)/year

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:Thanks for sticking with this thread for as long as you have.

Not sure if or how you'll be able to answer this but...

How worried should we be about the Weil cuts?

medium. i'm not overly concerned at the moment. i think most firms have re-allocated resources pretty well since the downturn and are now on pretty safe footing. you'll note that these were pretty directly targeted cuts. i wouldn't be much more concerned about this than the D&P T&E group cut.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Generally, are the exit options better for litigators or corporate 2-4 years out?

corporate by a factor of 1000x

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 am

From what you can tell should we (rising 2Ls) be optimistic about OCI coming up or do you think hiring will decrease from last year?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Are all partners in V15 NYC firms well-rounded, exceptionally smart, and beaming with energy like they do in TV shows? (of course, in your opinion)
(This might sound like a silly question on the surface but I ask this question because I have a certain idea of what attributes makes one partner/survivor at a v15 firm in NYC)

anon168

Postby anon168 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:14 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Generally, are the exit options better for litigators or corporate 2-4 years out?

corporate by a factor of 1000x

Sorry but that's too glib.

Whether your exit options are "better" vis-a-vis litigation versus corporate depends on what you want to exit to.

If you want to go in-house, for example, then a transactional attorney will have "better" exit options than their litigation counterpart.

On the other hand, if you wanted to work in the public/government sector, your exit options as a transactional attorney are almost nil.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

2014 wrote:From what you can tell should we (rising 2Ls) be optimistic about OCI coming up or do you think hiring will decrease from last year?

really can't tell. would guess about the same

Return to “Legal Employment”