V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon168

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:39 am

jd20132013 wrote:Piggybacking off that question--is it true that even if you have a Federal COA, it's unlikely you'll be able to get into one of the top flight appellate groups unless it's like...D.C. Cir. or a feeder? That's been floated around on this board before and I wonder how true it is

Depends, but generally not true. That said, if you clerked for Garland or Kavanaugh (or folks like Kozinski or Posner) you'll certainly have a heads up over some COA clerk from a nondescript judge in the 8th Cir.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:46 am

That makes sense. Thanks for the answer. I was just hoping it wasn't quite as insular as feeder or bust.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue May 28, 2013 9:23 pm

anon168 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Piggybacking off that question--is it true that even if you have a Federal COA, it's unlikely you'll be able to get into one of the top flight appellate groups unless it's like...D.C. Cir. or a feeder? That's been floated around on this board before and I wonder how true it is

Depends, but generally not true. That said, if you clerked for Garland or Kavanaugh (or folks like Kozinski or Posner) you'll certainly have a heads up over some COA clerk from a nondescript judge in the 8th Cir.

I'm not as sure about this one. In terms of true "appellate" practitioners (nearly-all appellate, all the time) I think the competition is extremely fierce. I could be wrong but believe nearly all of that group at our firm has SCt/top "feeder" clerkships

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

OP thanks so much for this thread btw....

Do you have any advice for explaining a significant drop in grades between first semester and second semester 1l year during oci assuming one can even land an interview

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 6:00 pm

General interviewing question. Just recently graduated. Grades are decent, top 25% from a T-14, however, I have a semester of not-so-good grades because my spouse was going through severe depression at that time. Should I explain or volunteer that? Wait to be asked? Still don't have a job and was wondering if this is keeping me down.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu May 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:General interviewing question. Just recently graduated. Grades are decent, top 25% from a T-14, however, I have a semester of not-so-good grades because my spouse was going through severe depression at that time. Should I explain or volunteer that? Wait to be asked? Still don't have a job and was wondering if this is keeping me down.

was that semester during first year? i frankly value first year grades more for all the appropriate reasons

in general, i think explanations for grade drops are of limited utility. i don't want excuses, i want production.

how much have you been hustling? do you interview well or poorly? have you talked to professors? current 1st year associates? family members? these questions have much more to do with whether you have a job than a non-explanation

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I'm not as sure about this one. In terms of true "appellate" practitioners (nearly-all appellate, all the time) I think the competition is extremely fierce. I could be wrong but believe nearly all of that group at our firm has SCt/top "feeder" clerkships

Thanks for this take. That makes sense. I'll have to keep grinding and hope to be able to parlay this COA into one of those, perhaps.

EDIT: Is your group on the smaller or larger side of appellate practitioners? That might affect the calculus, right?

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Is your group on the smaller or larger side of appellate practitioners? That might affect the calculus, right?

One thing to think about -- there is actually appellate work that goes on outside of DC. Most big firms in most big markets have a guy or three who mostly do it. In markets where COA clerks are less common, they are often the ones who do it. The main difference is that you generally don't see the high profile regulatory appellate litigation like you do in DC, you won't be a member of the "Appellate Group," and you'll usually have to supplement your appellate work with general trial work when there's a lull. But you'll probably still be doing 75% or so appeals.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri May 31, 2013 11:29 am

theaccidentalclerk wrote:
Is your group on the smaller or larger side of appellate practitioners? That might affect the calculus, right?

One thing to think about -- there is actually appellate work that goes on outside of DC. Most big firms in most big markets have a guy or three who mostly do it. In markets where COA clerks are less common, they are often the ones who do it. The main difference is that you generally don't see the high profile regulatory appellate litigation like you do in DC, you won't be a member of the "Appellate Group," and you'll usually have to supplement your appellate work with general trial work when there's a lull. But you'll probably still be doing 75% or so appeals.

I don't think this is wrong but not sure about the 75%. I think outside of DC attorneys will handle appeals, etc., up to and including state supreme courts / appropriate COAs (often the same guys who handle the initial matters). So while the team may be supplemented the attorneys leading the cases will remain the same. DC appellate "hit squads" that do all-appellate, all the time are usually brought in when either (a) major clients are going on appeal for major matters or (b) another firm lost the first round (or won but isn't deemed strong enough on appeal given the import of the matter). I think the elite appellate firms (check Chambers) are going to be predominantly staffed with top COA clerks because they can be - these practices just aren't that huge. If you stroll through the folks of the DC office with "appellate" in their practice (look for the ones whose bios just indicate appellate, not appellate and other stuff too) you'll see S.Ct, top feeders, etc.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm

around waiting for other side to send a few things, answering qs for a bit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you for posting... New here...

What are some questions that interviewers have asked you that really helped solidify your wanting to hire a person for a SA....or strongly recommend for hire

Conversely, what are some questions that are red flags and can tank an interviewers chances

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Im at a t50 school, ranked #3. Expected to transfer but decided to stay. As a result, may have missed law review because I did it very last minute. I have an A in legal writing and good work experience.

How big of a blemish will it be if I miss law review? Interested in litigation.

How should I address the question in interviews? It'll probably be the top question asked. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 pm

How do you predict median MVPers will do this OCI for NYC firms.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for posting... New here...

What are some questions that interviewers have asked you that really helped solidify your wanting to hire a person for a SA....or strongly recommend for hire

Conversely, what are some questions that are red flags and can tank an interviewers chances

specific questions about me, my practice, our firm's expertise in certain areas, etc. do your homework and ask about nuances about the firm. general q's, not as strong. qs about practices we don't do.......

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:02 pm

not sure what market you are in but how does a 4.0 at a T25 in a major east coast market set someone up for NYC big law?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im at a t50 school, ranked #3. Expected to transfer but decided to stay. As a result, may have missed law review because I did it very last minute. I have an A in legal writing and good work experience.

How big of a blemish will it be if I miss law review? Interested in litigation.

How should I address the question in interviews? It'll probably be the top question asked. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses.

Thanks for your help.

submit a good writing sample and it shouldn't matter. #3 should get you some great opportunities

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you predict median MVPers will do this OCI for NYC firms.

"fine"? no idea. depends on the person, firm, etc.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not sure what market you are in but how does a 4.0 at a T25 in a major east coast market set someone up for NYC big law?

unless it's on a 5.0 scale, well i would think

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

specific questions about me, my practice, our firm's expertise in certain areas, etc. do your homework and ask about nuances about the firm. general q's, not as strong. qs about practices we don't do.......

Can you please give me an example(s) of the nuances to which you are referring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Do you google applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you google applicants?

This. Plus, how important is LinkedIn?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Can you please give me an example(s) of the nuances to which you are referring?

seriously, read two glossy handbooks about a firm / working for us. if you can't come up with anything that diferentiates the two that's worth asking about (i.e., Cravath - what has your experience been with the rotation system, how do you feel it developed you as an attorney, same q for kirkland but "free market")

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you google applicants?

This. Plus, how important is LinkedIn?

sometimes/sorta?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 am

tag

Return to “Legal Employment”