V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aces
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby aces » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Unless it's a personalized rejection letter (for instance, if it mentions something specific that would only apply to you), assume it's a pro forma nicety. Even the smallest public interest organization or midlaw firm sends dozens of rejection letters this time of year, and no employer goes through the effort of tailoring rejection letters, especially not without including something more specific than the "While we were impressed with your resume/credentials..." line. It's not like they have three different variants of rejection letters and sent you the "almost but not quite" one-- it's almost certainly the same letter they send to JoeBob, the 3.0 GPA, K-JD at Cooley. It's like how Cravath in their ding letters encourages everyone to apply for a position during 3L OCI-- it's just to be nice and end on an encouraging note, not because they genuinely want everyone who receives that letter to apply for the three or four open positions they might have a year later.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm

aces wrote:Unless it's a personalized rejection letter (for instance, if it mentions something specific that would only apply to you), assume it's a pro forma nicety. Even the smallest public interest organization or midlaw firm sends dozens of rejection letters this time of year, and no employer goes through the effort of tailoring rejection letters, especially not without including something more specific than the "While we were impressed with your resume/credentials..." line. It's not like they have three different variants of rejection letters and sent you the "almost but not quite" one-- it's almost certainly the same letter they send to JoeBob, the 3.0 GPA, K-JD at Cooley. It's like how Cravath in their ding letters encourages everyone to apply for a position during 3L OCI-- it's just to be nice and end on an encouraging note, not because they genuinely want everyone who receives that letter to apply for the three or four open positions they might have a year later.


agreed

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Sheffield » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Before spending several hundred dollars on a [yearly] membership fee, IYO is it worth joining a school club? As a lawyer I can see how it might be worthwhile, not sure how a 2L could benefit (short of networking in the lounge). Did you join you school’s club?

Years ago my uncle had a business client who would ask him to meet at the Harvard club. For whatever reason I always thought it sounded impressive.

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby rouser » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:13 am

when someone is pitching for corporate, what are some less-obvious things that make you lean towards "wouldn't fit in"?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

Sheffield wrote:Before spending several hundred dollars on a [yearly] membership fee, IYO is it worth joining a school club? As a lawyer I can see how it might be worthwhile, not sure how a 2L could benefit (short of networking in the lounge). Did you join you school’s club?

Years ago my uncle had a business client who would ask him to meet at the Harvard club. For whatever reason I always thought it sounded impressive.


what do you mean by school club? like the alumni club? sure, if you'd use it

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

rouser wrote:when someone is pitching for corporate, what are some less-obvious things that make you lean towards "wouldn't fit in"?


massively socially awkward's not a good one

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Let's be honest. It's all about how you like the person when you talk to um, right? Everything else is just meeting the minimum requirements, e.g. grades.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's be honest. It's all about how you like the person when you talk to um, right? Everything else is just meeting the minimum requirements, e.g. grades.


not really. i mean, i shouldn't hate you. but i've called back plenty of people i didn't especially like whom i thought would be great fits / great additions to the firm overall

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby rouser » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 am

describe in a couple sentences what a random tuesday is like for you

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

I will be heading to a firm for a 1L SA (lucky, I know). But I worry about my work product. I am going to split between lit and transactional. I go to a school with ungraded LRW, didnt do well in it (based on comments). What should I be doing to make sure that my work product doesnt lead to a no offer? My grades are very good... just really worried about work product. Dont know how to even prepare...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Do firms maintain information on previous interviews? I was rejected at a firm and I've since gotten to know someone peripherally involved in hiring. Is there any chance he'd be able to get information about the grounds for rejection, even though it happened months ago; either from a database or by talking to the interviewers?

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby roranoa » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's be honest. It's all about how you like the person when you talk to um, right? Everything else is just meeting the minimum requirements, e.g. grades.


not really. i mean, i shouldn't hate you. but i've called back plenty of people i didn't especially like whom i thought would be great fits / great additions to the firm overall


What do you mean you didn't "like" them? Like, as a potential colleague? a person?

User avatar
NDJ
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby NDJ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:11 pm

If I am a Canadian attending a T6 (or lower T14), do I have the same, or roughly the same, chances of getting a biglaw callback in NYC than my American peers? When you are conducting interviews do you give foreigners, or Canadians specifically, the same amount of consideration as American students? If I had a green card, would this be different?
Thanks a lot!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Any advice on the following scenario?:

1L who will hopefully (bad first semester) enter 2L OCI at median from T6. For summer, deciding between office of general counsel at Dept. of Ed. in DC or diversity/in-house position with big bank in NY (think morgan stanley, goldman sachs, etc.). Want to do private practice for a couple of years in either DC or NY, but end up in DC, maybe doing gov. work. Would i be making a mistake by declining the latter offer? the name-prestige is nice, but i wonder how much it will be qualified by fact that it was a 1L position

pbfoot
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby pbfoot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Not sure if this has been asked/answered, but how hard should I be selling my interest in a firm/particular office and myself in a 1L OCI as opposed to simply conversing? I know once you get an interview firms generally consider you qualified so it's mostly about making sure you're not a rube and will be a "fit" for the firm, but how do you make sure you are giving off the persona that "fits"?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be heading to a firm for a 1L SA (lucky, I know). But I worry about my work product. I am going to split between lit and transactional. I go to a school with ungraded LRW, didnt do well in it (based on comments). What should I be doing to make sure that my work product doesnt lead to a no offer? My grades are very good... just really worried about work product. Dont know how to even prepare...


try talking to LRW prof about it. presumably a student / JSD guy? or junior faculty? might be willing to help. and practice, practice, practice

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms maintain information on previous interviews? I was rejected at a firm and I've since gotten to know someone peripherally involved in hiring. Is there any chance he'd be able to get information about the grounds for rejection, even though it happened months ago; either from a database or by talking to the interviewers?


maybe. but not much good can come from this

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's be honest. It's all about how you like the person when you talk to um, right? Everything else is just meeting the minimum requirements, e.g. grades.


not really. i mean, i shouldn't hate you. but i've called back plenty of people i didn't especially like whom i thought would be great fits / great additions to the firm overall


What do you mean you didn't "like" them? Like, as a potential colleague? a person?


as in "i don't think i would be great friends with this person, but for x/y/z reason i think they would be a good lawyer in our firm"

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

NDJ wrote:If I am a Canadian attending a T6 (or lower T14), do I have the same, or roughly the same, chances of getting a biglaw callback in NYC than my American peers? When you are conducting interviews do you give foreigners, or Canadians specifically, the same amount of consideration as American students? If I had a green card, would this be different?
Thanks a lot!


probably roughly the same. if there are real immigration issues that's one thing. don't really know, ask your career services

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on the following scenario?:

1L who will hopefully (bad first semester) enter 2L OCI at median from T6. For summer, deciding between office of general counsel at Dept. of Ed. in DC or diversity/in-house position with big bank in NY (think morgan stanley, goldman sachs, etc.). Want to do private practice for a couple of years in either DC or NY, but end up in DC, maybe doing gov. work. Would i be making a mistake by declining the latter offer? the name-prestige is nice, but i wonder how much it will be qualified by fact that it was a 1L position


if you want to work at a big firm, the latter position will likely be mcuh more helpful

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

pbfoot wrote:Not sure if this has been asked/answered, but how hard should I be selling my interest in a firm/particular office and myself in a 1L OCI as opposed to simply conversing? I know once you get an interview firms generally consider you qualified so it's mostly about making sure you're not a rube and will be a "fit" for the firm, but how do you make sure you are giving off the persona that "fits"?


it's always better to know more about the firm when interviewing. if you've done your homework about a firm and can ask good questions about a person / practice / etc you are much more likely to have a chance

whatsthat
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby whatsthat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

How much do you care about the format of a resume? Been looking at examples, saw a group of column resumes, and they seem way more aesthetically pleasing than every other sample legal resume I've seen.

As long as it's kept clean (i.e. without colors or crazy font), does it even matter? Or would it be better to just stick with conventional regardless? (I guess along the lines of minimizing any potential negative impression. Most of the samples I've seen seem to be from the tech industry.)

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

whatsthat wrote:How much do you care about the format of a resume? Been looking at examples, saw a group of column resumes, and they seem way more aesthetically pleasing than every other sample legal resume I've seen.

As long as it's kept clean (i.e. without colors or crazy font), does it even matter? Or would it be better to just stick with conventional regardless? (I guess along the lines of minimizing any potential negative impression. Most of the samples I've seen seem to be from the tech industry.)


not really sure what you mean. but clean and neat

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I will be interning in DC this summer and DC is my ultimate goal. Any advice for how to use my time there to help my chances for OCI? Would contacting recruiters and trying organize a lunch/coffee be appropriate or not advisable? I'm a 1L and my school is not in the area so I want to make the most of my time.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273146
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 pm

If a firm is providing various start dates for first year associates, how should one pick his or her start date? What are the drawbacks of starting later?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.