V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 am

Bobnoxious wrote:Primarily plaintiff-side civil litigation and insurance recovery. Ideally have my own shop doing support for real estate investment companies dealing with catastrophic property losses, public adjusters, and disaster restoration firms. As far as how specifically to get there goes, I only have the vaguest of notions other than the network of restoration contractors and property management companies I've been working with for the past 20+ years (no guarantees, though I'm sure I can count on some hefty collections work), which is why I'm here, there, and everywhere looking for input and ideas.


If that's your end-game I'm not sure starting off in biglaw is the right move post graduation.

Bobnoxious
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Bobnoxious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 am

I was thinking that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. I had a feeling that maybe insurance defense work in a litigation department for 2-4 years might be good to get a semi-decent start to work the plaintiff side when I eventually go my own way. I'm all ears for suggestions that get me where I want to go.

Thanks

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 am

Bobnoxious wrote:I was thinking that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. I had a feeling that maybe insurance defense work in a litigation department for 2-4 years might be good to get a semi-decent start to work the plaintiff side when I eventually go my own way. I'm all ears for suggestions that get me where I want to go.

Thanks


There really isn't insurance defense work in biglaw.

You should first figure out the market you want to practice in and then target boutique or midlaw type firms that do the type of work you are interested in. The areas you speak of are really niche practice areas, not as esoteric as maritime law but pretty close.

See if you can intern with a state Dept of Insurance or on the federal level with an agency like FEMA.

Bobnoxious
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Bobnoxious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks for the direction. I appreciate all of that I can get.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am

Bobnoxious wrote:Thanks for the direction. I appreciate all of that I can get.



Find a local bar chapter or organization and talk to people who practice this field, or related fields.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:50 pm

How important is graduating with "honors" for lateral opportunities? I'm headed to a V30 next year, and my grades are hovering around the honors cutoff. Ideally, I'd like to lateral to a different market 3-4 years out. Should I be stressed out if my GPA ultimately falls .01 short of honors? Do firms even care about "honors" or is it just the GPA that matters?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How important is graduating with "honors" for lateral opportunities? I'm headed to a V30 next year, and my grades are hovering around the honors cutoff. Ideally, I'd like to lateral to a different market 3-4 years out. Should I be stressed out if my GPA ultimately falls .01 short of honors? Do firms even care about "honors" or is it just the GPA that matters?


mostly gpa that matters. if a smaller market, etc., might be more meaningful but where you worked and what you did will be more imporatnt

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is graduating with "honors" for lateral opportunities? I'm headed to a V30 next year, and my grades are hovering around the honors cutoff. Ideally, I'd like to lateral to a different market 3-4 years out. Should I be stressed out if my GPA ultimately falls .01 short of honors? Do firms even care about "honors" or is it just the GPA that matters?


mostly gpa that matters. if a smaller market, etc., might be more meaningful but where you worked and what you did will be more imporatnt


How much does GPA matter? Like, is a 3.2/3.3 (around median) at a T14 a total killer for lateral opportunities?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm considering running for a managing editor position on my journal. Is there a chance that having the position on my resume will give me better lateraling opportunities down the road, or is that only true if you're EIC?

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 am

I have good grades but no work experience (except Starbucks). What can i do to improve my CV?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is graduating with "honors" for lateral opportunities? I'm headed to a V30 next year, and my grades are hovering around the honors cutoff. Ideally, I'd like to lateral to a different market 3-4 years out. Should I be stressed out if my GPA ultimately falls .01 short of honors? Do firms even care about "honors" or is it just the GPA that matters?


mostly gpa that matters. if a smaller market, etc., might be more meaningful but where you worked and what you did will be more imporatnt


How much does GPA matter? Like, is a 3.2/3.3 (around median) at a T14 a total killer for lateral opportunities?


depends entirely on the opportunity, where you are, what your experience is, etc. better GPA is better

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering running for a managing editor position on my journal. Is there a chance that having the position on my resume will give me better lateraling opportunities down the road, or is that only true if you're EIC?

Thanks!


always a chance

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have good grades but no work experience (except Starbucks). What can i do to improve my CV?


that's absolutely it? what have you done during the summers of college? on any organizations? research job for a professor? think about the type of position you want and try to do something legally related to it - join the board of the real estate law club, try to become a TA for corporations, etc

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 pm

I asked this on the other advice thread, but I thought I'd see what your opinion is.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to maybe move back to biglaw (or as close as possible) from the government? Assume a decade out and a decent resume -- good grades from a T6, AIII clerkship, a good stint (i.e., not forced out) at the headquarters of a non-NYC V20, lots of reasonably high profile experience in the government (including lead or co-lead counsel in 10 or so published decisions). Government stint was federal or comparable (Manhattan ADA, big state SG office, etc.).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 pm

0L here. Discharged bankruptcy ~1 year before starting law school. Any chance that I am able to find a BigLaw gig (assuming that I meet other criteria) or should I be considering a different legal career?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm

I just got all of my grades back for the semester, currently a 2nd semester 3L. Basically, I got a poor grade in one class and a worse grade in another class, but the first class is worth 3 credits while the second is worth 1 credit. I have a GPA in the top 25% of the class at a T-14 and have a job at a V10 firm. My school allows you to change a grade to pass after the fact as long as the grade is above a C+. So, my question is, and this might sound a bit absurd, but in thinking about exit options down the line in a few years, would it be better to get the worse grade off the transcript and have a bit lower gpa or take the poor grade off the transcript, resulting in a better overall gpa than with the worse grade, but still have that ugly worse grade on my transcript? Thanks.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I asked this on the other advice thread, but I thought I'd see what your opinion is.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to maybe move back to biglaw (or as close as possible) from the government? Assume a decade out and a decent resume -- good grades from a T6, AIII clerkship, a good stint (i.e., not forced out) at the headquarters of a non-NYC V20, lots of reasonably high profile experience in the government (including lead or co-lead counsel in 10 or so published decisions). Government stint was federal or comparable (Manhattan ADA, big state SG office, etc.).


PM me

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:0L here. Discharged bankruptcy ~1 year before starting law school. Any chance that I am able to find a BigLaw gig (assuming that I meet other criteria) or should I be considering a different legal career?


no idea. talk to career services, they may know what people think of such things

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got all of my grades back for the semester, currently a 2nd semester 3L. Basically, I got a poor grade in one class and a worse grade in another class, but the first class is worth 3 credits while the second is worth 1 credit. I have a GPA in the top 25% of the class at a T-14 and have a job at a V10 firm. My school allows you to change a grade to pass after the fact as long as the grade is above a C+. So, my question is, and this might sound a bit absurd, but in thinking about exit options down the line in a few years, would it be better to get the worse grade off the transcript and have a bit lower gpa or take the poor grade off the transcript, resulting in a better overall gpa than with the worse grade, but still have that ugly worse grade on my transcript? Thanks.


I would get rid of the worse of the 2 grades - is the GPA difference dramatic? assuming not that makes more sense

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby roranoa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have good grades but no work experience (except Starbucks). What can i do to improve my CV?


that's absolutely it? what have you done during the summers of college? on any organizations? research job for a professor? think about the type of position you want and try to do something legally related to it - join the board of the real estate law club, try to become a TA for corporations, etc


Why is WE so important before law school?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have good grades but no work experience (except Starbucks). What can i do to improve my CV?


that's absolutely it? what have you done during the summers of college? on any organizations? research job for a professor? think about the type of position you want and try to do something legally related to it - join the board of the real estate law club, try to become a TA for corporations, etc


Why is WE so important before law school?


because there is nothing to judge you on other than 1 year of grades. the kid w/straight As is going to get the job over the kid w/straight Bs every time, but if two kids have straight B+s, all else being equal you can bet your ass I'm going to hire the one w/the better resume. come on.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:28 am

When a firm dings someone for 1L SA (as most do), but says that they really like your resume, that you have impressive credentials, or something of that ilk, is that just fluff to be nice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is graduating with "honors" for lateral opportunities? I'm headed to a V30 next year, and my grades are hovering around the honors cutoff. Ideally, I'd like to lateral to a different market 3-4 years out. Should I be stressed out if my GPA ultimately falls .01 short of honors? Do firms even care about "honors" or is it just the GPA that matters?


mostly gpa that matters. if a smaller market, etc., might be more meaningful but where you worked and what you did will be more imporatnt


How much does GPA matter? Like, is a 3.2/3.3 (around median) at a T14 a total killer for lateral opportunities?


depends entirely on the opportunity, where you are, what your experience is, etc. better GPA is better


Not same anon, but have the same question and to provide detail, let's say NY V100 who wants to either lateral or go in-house after 2-4 years. I've seen some respected posters on this forum say grades don't matter as much anymore. True? My firm hired me for the upcoming summer based on my being close to top 10% at a T10, but I am wondering how much of the next two years should be spent trying to stay there rather than just trying to stay above median, and focusing on other "life" things before I have to give up a substantial portion of it if I get a permanent offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 pm

dingbat wrote:When a firm dings someone for 1L SA (as most do), but says that they really like your resume, that you have impressive credentials, or something of that ilk, is that just fluff to be nice?


I could wall paper my apartment with nice form letters. Were they also confident that you would succeed in the future? If so that changes everything.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dingbat wrote:When a firm dings someone for 1L SA (as most do), but says that they really like your resume, that you have impressive credentials, or something of that ilk, is that just fluff to be nice?


I could wall paper my apartment with nice form letters. Were they also confident that you would succeed in the future? If so that changes everything.

I have plenty of form letters. I understand that the whole "sure you'll do well" or such crap is just crap. However, when there's a standalone line talking about credentials or quality of resume (when I actually have a resume) indicates to me that they've at least read the resume and was just wondering if it's mildly encouraging (I don't expect it to help if you're nowhere near the cutoffs, just wondering if it's encouraging for if I get close to the cutoffs)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.