V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's your general impressions of GULC kids? GPA Cutoff, LR, feel for firm. Thanks again for taking the time for this.

uh. it's a quality school that produces some excellent graduates and some OK ones?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:19 pm

What are the best things that a junior M&A associate can do to build a good reputation to give themselves a chance at getting the assignments and work necessary to progress as a mid-level?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

For someone doing M&A at a V10, what range of salaries is that person looking at if they exit sometime in year 4 - 6? Just curious if there is an expectation of exit option salary, with an average, a high and a low. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Of your colleagues that you see leaving your firm or large law firm in general, what percentage are primarily "pushed out" and what percentage primarily leave for superior quality of life/hours/etc? I know motivation can be hard to discern, but I'm curious how often getting "pushed out" happens involuntarily.

LegalEagle2014

Postby LegalEagle2014 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

User has been outed and warned for trolling.

LegalEagle2014

Postby LegalEagle2014 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 am

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

User has been tempbanned for trolling and ignoring the previous warning.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are the best things that a junior M&A associate can do to build a good reputation to give themselves a chance at getting the assignments and work necessary to progress as a mid-level?

be extraordinarily thorough. every time i see a doc w/typos everywhere, sloppiness, etc., i'm more likely to think you need to go.

if you're not perfect with the little stuff how can i trust you to be so w/the big stuff

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:For someone doing M&A at a V10, what range of salaries is that person looking at if they exit sometime in year 4 - 6? Just curious if there is an expectation of exit option salary, with an average, a high and a low. Thanks.

completely ranges. lots of stuff that are steps down in salary, but plenty of options for a boost in the near-term (longer-term is harder to determine)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Of your colleagues that you see leaving your firm or large law firm in general, what percentage are primarily "pushed out" and what percentage primarily leave for superior quality of life/hours/etc? I know motivation can be hard to discern, but I'm curious how often getting "pushed out" happens involuntarily.

pretty low % being pushed out right now. we're really busy. you have to be pretty bad for us to truly boot you.

2008-9 was another story.

quakpond

Postby quakpond » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks for answering all our questions.

I was wondering if you know what the chances of a 3L being hired by a big law firm is in the second semester of 3L year. Are chances so slim that I should just focus on smaller law firms? If you think it's worth a shot, what approach would you suggest a 3L to take - should I focus on cold-emailing?

Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm a 2L whose going to be an SA at an IP boutique (litigation only). I am not on a journal, but my school has a write-on competition for journal positions. Considering the time investment in writing a note, I want to know if it would be worth it for me to try and note-on. I am interested in lateraling out of the firm after 3-5 years and want decent exit options. Thanks!

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 pm

quakpond wrote:Thanks for answering all our questions.

I was wondering if you know what the chances of a 3L being hired by a big law firm is in the second semester of 3L year. Are chances so slim that I should just focus on smaller law firms? If you think it's worth a shot, what approach would you suggest a 3L to take - should I focus on cold-emailing?

Thanks again.

virtually nil. sorry.

career services, professors, contacts. hustle, hustle, hustle.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2L whose going to be an SA at an IP boutique (litigation only). I am not on a journal, but my school has a write-on competition for journal positions. Considering the time investment in writing a note, I want to know if it would be worth it for me to try and note-on. I am interested in lateraling out of the firm after 3-5 years and want decent exit options. Thanks!

journal will be meaningless unless it's law review. an actual published legal article/note could help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 am

How do former J.A.G.s fare in the lateral game into biglaw?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do former J.A.G.s fare in the lateral game into biglaw?

Not very well.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 pm

A number of people have suggested doing a summer abroad, because no curve and easy grading virtually guarantees a GPA boost. Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or do you guys see past those tricks?
How about split-summer to include a legal internship? (or take the internship most summers abroad provide)

Thanks

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:45 pm

dingbat wrote:A number of people have suggested doing a summer abroad, because no curve and easy grading virtually guarantees a GPA boost. Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or do you guys see past those tricks?
How about split-summer to include a legal internship? (or take the internship most summers abroad provide)

Thanks

If you are at a school that would actually count a summer abroad into your GPA you already have a hard road to hoe. If you merely mean that I might look at your summer abroad grades and "count" them, then, yes, we see past this.

Further, a summer abroad indicates one of two things: you couldn't find any legal employment (not good) or you aren't really that serious about developing legal skills (also not good). If you otherwise have a great resume, you can get away with a "I took advantage of a last chance to spend significant time abroad before I buckle down" explanation. Other than that, it's pretty much a bad idea.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:06 am

Does your firm have a Christmas or New Years Party?

What's it like?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:02 am

TooOld4This wrote:
dingbat wrote:A number of people have suggested doing a summer abroad, because no curve and easy grading virtually guarantees a GPA boost. Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or do you guys see past those tricks?

Thanks

If you are at a school that would actually count a summer abroad into your GPA you already have a hard road to hoe. If you merely mean that I might look at your summer abroad grades and "count" them, then, yes, we see past this.

Further, a summer abroad indicates one of two things: you couldn't find any legal employment (not good) or you aren't really that serious about developing legal skills (also not good). If you otherwise have a great resume, you can get away with a "I took advantage of a last chance to spend significant time abroad before I buckle down" explanation. Other than that, it's pretty much a bad idea.

Actually, I'm fairly certain most schools count the summer abroad into the GPA
That being said, I'm considering a split summer - 3 weeks abroad and the rest working (possibly in the country where I go abroad, because I have connections and might have impressive opportunities)

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:19 pm

dingbat wrote:Actually, I'm fairly certain most schools count the summer abroad into the GPA

One of many reasons why grades after 1L are complete bullshit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Actually, I'm fairly certain most schools count the summer abroad into the GPA

So what would it take then, for 2L grades to make a difference? I did significantly better 1L second semester than first, (bottom 3rd ---> top 3rd = median after 1L) and I'm hoping to have some sort of chance to switch firms after 2L summer. Is any continued grade bump short of straight 4.3 going to help?

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:

So what would it take then, for 2L grades to make a difference? I did significantly better 1L second semester than first, (bottom 3rd ---> top 3rd = median after 1L) and I'm hoping to have some sort of chance to switch firms after 2L summer. Is any continued grade bump short of straight 4.3 going to help?

It depends on the firm. Some firms give more respect to 2L and 3L grades. Firms that do 3L OCI probably fall into this category. For most firms, however, 1L grades are enough of a sifting mechanism to allow them to choose who they want. Work product quality is the most important factor used to make lateral and full-time hires, even though some firms have absolute GPA cutoffs below which they will not hire (but these firms are definitely in the minority).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 pm

To build off of the 2L grades subject -- what a out for transfers? Do firms look at these grades more heavily than they would a non-transfer? I figure firms would want to see that a transfer didn't crash and burn at a new school. I have a SA at a regional firm and would like to upgrade areas during 3L OCI and mass mailing next summer.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:

Thanks

Actually, I'm fairly certain most schools count the summer abroad into the GPA
That being said, I'm considering a split summer - 3 weeks abroad and the rest working (possibly in the country where I go abroad, because I have connections and might have impressive opportunities)

Your response surprised me. Since I rarely come across study abroad transcripts, I did a quick search. None of the schools I looked at count the grades into GPA -- granted I only looked at about a half dozen, but they ranged from Cornell to Georgetown to some state schools to NYLS.

Don't do study abroad expecting a boost. Look for substantive experience in whatever 1L summer job you get.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:06 pm

roranoa wrote:Does your firm have a Christmas or New Years Party?

What's it like?

yes. pretty good time.

Return to “Legal Employment”