V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Renne Walker

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:11 pm

SBL wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Litigation firm Bickel & Brewer is offering its 2013 first-year associate class a base annual salary of $185,000, an increase of $10,000 over the firm’s current first-year associate base salary of $175,000. Historically, is this how industry salaries increase (as in lock-step)? Also, if a SA is hired at $160K and the new class receives a higher amount, historically how does that usually play out?

In this situation the credited response is to storm into the managing partner's office--ideally while he's on the phone--with a pay stub in your hand and shout "Only 160?!? What is this bullshit!?!?!"

Humorous response but nevertheless, a $500 weekly difference is noteworthy (at least to me it is).

Since I have zero ties to Texas all I can do is congratulate those who work in a city where a $70K COL is equal to $160K in NYC. Note, B&B’s $185k in Dallas is comparable to $295k in Queens and $420k in Manhattan. That's life. It would be lovely if more expensive cities would join in lock-step with B&B.

So itbdvorm, back to my original question, historically how do SA increases typically advance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 am

Renne Walker wrote:
SBL wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:Litigation firm Bickel & Brewer is offering its 2013 first-year associate class a base annual salary of $185,000, an increase of $10,000 over the firm’s current first-year associate base salary of $175,000. Historically, is this how industry salaries increase (as in lock-step)? Also, if a SA is hired at $160K and the new class receives a higher amount, historically how does that usually play out?

In this situation the credited response is to storm into the managing partner's office--ideally while he's on the phone--with a pay stub in your hand and shout "Only 160?!? What is this bullshit!?!?!"

Humorous response but nevertheless, a $500 weekly difference is noteworthy (at least to me it is).

Since I have zero ties to Texas all I can do is congratulate those who work in a city where a $70K COL is equal to $160K in NYC. Note, B&B’s $185k in Dallas is comparable to $295k in Queens and $420k in Manhattan. That's life. It would be lovely if more expensive cities would join in lock-step with B&B.

So itbdvorm, back to my original question, historically how do SA increases typically advance?

not 100% sure i follow, but historically SA salaries have been identical (on a pro-rated basis) to 1st year associate salaries

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm

hi again

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
SBL wrote:

not 100% sure i follow, but historically SA salaries have been identical (on a pro-rated basis) to 1st year associate salaries

You receive a formal offer letter at the end of the summer listing the salary that you personally will be paid. As long as the increase is meant to encompass your year you will get the new pay rate. And if it isn't, well, what firm announces a new pay raise more than a year in advance?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Do you know any litigation juniors or mid-levels who left your firm for federal government jobs? How did they do this? Can you describe them generally (practice areas, schools, past experience, etc.)?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Do you know any litigation juniors or mid-levels who left your firm for federal government jobs? How did they do this? Can you describe them generally (practice areas, schools, past experience, etc.)?

definitely happened / happens. connections, etc. are one big help. others applied. i don't really know how individuals did so specifically...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:20 pm

How much do 3L grades matter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much do 3L grades matter?

Related: How much do 3L grades matter if everyone in the office loved you and you fit in really well & got great reviews as an SA?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:26 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Do you know any litigation juniors or mid-levels who left your firm for federal government jobs? How did they do this? Can you describe them generally (practice areas, schools, past experience, etc.)?

I did it. And I know many that have done it.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Related: How much do 3L grades matter if everyone in the office loved you and you fit in really well & got great reviews as an SA?

matter for what?

i don't think i've ever seen anyone lose a perm offer due to bad 3L grades. that said, don't let them completely fall off the map, you may need them for other things later in life

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

matter for what?

i don't think i've ever seen anyone lose a perm offer due to bad 3L grades. that said, don't let them completely fall off the map, you may need them for other things later in life

Define "fall off the map." Are we talking Bs or all the way down to Cs.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

matter for what?

Define "fall off the map." Are we talking Bs or all the way down to Cs.

see my statement above. all goes to future employment. do you really want to miss out on a job 5 years out because you couldn't cram for finals?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm

How long does it take you to produce a first draft of a Series A Purchase Agreement? Related ROFR and Co-Sale Agreement? Voting Agreement? IRA? Charter? (Breakdown would be helpful for each agreement if possible)

I realize it varies deal to deal depending on the complexity of the term sheet, but often times these deals are somewhat standardized and use NVCA forms. My curiosity stems from me comparing the timing against how long it has been taking me to draft these. I am 3rd year corporate associate for what it's worth, so I'm sure you will be doing it faster (assuming you do this kind of work), but it would be interesting to get a general sense how long it should take.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:19 pm

If you are doing something wrong, screwing up a little, even though you are trying... think of honest mistakes, spending too much time cause you are worried about doing it right.... will you be warned? Or are you just placed on "to be fired" pile.

I apologize if versions of this question have been asked.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are doing something wrong, screwing up a little, even though you are trying... think of honest mistakes, spending too much time cause you are worried about doing it right.... will you be warned? Or are you just placed on "to be fired" pile.

From what I've seen, it depends on what year you are. At my firm, people expect you to be basically perfect by the time you're a 4th or 5th year. If you minorly screw up as a 1st or 2nd year, and you don't do it too often, you probably have nothing to worry about. Keep in mind, however, that every minor screw up will be cataloged and cumulatively used to push you out around your 4th or 5th year, if not earlier.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long does it take you to produce a first draft of a Series A Purchase Agreement? Related ROFR and Co-Sale Agreement? Voting Agreement? IRA? Charter? (Breakdown would be helpful for each agreement if possible)

I realize it varies deal to deal depending on the complexity of the term sheet, but often times these deals are somewhat standardized and use NVCA forms. My curiosity stems from me comparing the timing against how long it has been taking me to draft these. I am 3rd year corporate associate for what it's worth, so I'm sure you will be doing it faster (assuming you do this kind of work), but it would be interesting to get a general sense how long it should take.

sorry - am an M&A guy, not much of a VC guy so my responses probably not that helpful here...

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are doing something wrong, screwing up a little, even though you are trying... think of honest mistakes, spending too much time cause you are worried about doing it right.... will you be warned? Or are you just placed on "to be fired" pile.

From what I've seen, it depends on what year you are. At my firm, people expect you to be basically perfect by the time you're a 4th or 5th year. If you minorly screw up as a 1st or 2nd year, and you don't do it too often, you probably have nothing to worry about. Keep in mind, however, that every minor screw up will be cataloged and cumulatively used to push you out around your 4th or 5th year, if not earlier.

I think that's slightly more cynical, but not entirely wrong. Enthusiasm and hard work, even if it results in mistakes (even relatively senior ones) can be overcome. Sloppiness / laziness is tougher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:every minor screw up will be cataloged and cumulatively used to push you out around your 4th or 5th year, if not earlier.

holy sht..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm

itbdvorm wrote:sorry - am an M&A guy...

I'm headed to a large firm as an SA, and I hope to do mostly M&A work. Can you help me know what substantive knowledge I need to have to do well this summer and understand what is going on? I took my school's M&A class and corporations, and I'm wondering what other classes I might take or whether there is any reading I should do before beginning the summer.
Thanks!

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm headed to a large firm as an SA, and I hope to do mostly M&A work. Can you help me know what substantive knowledge I need to have to do well this summer and understand what is going on? I took my school's M&A class and corporations, and I'm wondering what other classes I might take or whether there is any reading I should do before beginning the summer.
Thanks!

From someone who did mostly M&A work this summer as a SA, corporations and M&A are helpful but probably not necessary. You can do a lot of the work without prior knowledge. The advice I received was that they assume you know nothing and will teach you what you need to know. That turned out to be true at my firm.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

sign up for Dealbook, the deal, PEhub, fortune's daily update - read some/many/most (not all). set google alert for your firm - most deals will be M&A deals. try to figure out what types of deals your firm does (all are different). read harvard law corp governance blog.

and, most importantly, do as much as you can to develop amazing attention to detail.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

sign up for Dealbook, the deal, PEhub, fortune's daily update - read some/many/most (not all). set google alert for your firm - most deals will be M&A deals. try to figure out what types of deals your firm does (all are different). read harvard law corp governance blog.

and, most importantly, do as much as you can to develop amazing attention to detail.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long does it take you to produce a first draft of a Series A Purchase Agreement? Related ROFR and Co-Sale Agreement? Voting Agreement? IRA? Charter? (Breakdown would be helpful for each agreement if possible)

sorry - am an M&A guy, not much of a VC guy so my responses probably not that helpful here...

How long does it take to do the agreements you mostly deal with? (for first draft)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

What's your general impressions of GULC kids? GPA Cutoff, LR, feel for firm. Thanks again for taking the time for this.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 pm

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

How long does it take to do the agreements you mostly deal with? (for first draft)

really, really, really depends. simple stuff is minutes. harder stuff is hours.

Return to “Legal Employment”