V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dingbat

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dingbat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"Fiscal cliff." Is this a word your firm's top brass are using in deciding the number of new associates to hire this year, or the size of its summer class?

Great use of anon

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received a mid-law offer and accepted. The next week I received a big-law offer and I explained that unfortunately I had already accepted an offer. The BL person I spoke with said that they would keep my offer on file and for me to contact them after the summer. What do you think the realistic odds are of getting a shot at the BL firm? (The offer came three weeks after the CB, so I was probably not a first choice, but they did offer).

Contact them after the summer and keep yourself on the radar screen.

You did the right thing by not reneging on midlaw and this will win you brownie points with biglaw.

I think your chances are good at biglaw post graduation. But you never know, things may work out well at midlaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:54 pm

I recently had a cb with a firm outside of my market. I really enjoyed the meeting and thought the people were great. I could really see myself working there.

Would it make any sense for me to write them and tell them I would accept their offer in order to assuage any concerns they might have about me accepting an out of market offer?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently had a cb with a firm outside of my market. I really enjoyed the meeting and thought the people were great. I could really see myself working there.

Would it make any sense for me to write them and tell them I would accept their offer in order to assuage any concerns they might have about me accepting an out of market offer?

No.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 am

What is a good example of a first year associate displaying "detail-oriented" behavior? I mean, something that you would appreciate as a senior.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am

Would a previous WE in retail be a real downer?

I'm working in retail right now. I'm not a Wall-mart greeter or anything but just an assistant sales manager that requires taking care of analysis reports and warehouse management. (Wow, this sounds really bad even as I'm typing this)

This is a shitty job and I fear it might hurt my image later on. I started a year ago for the money but now I think I could find some other options before law school.

Do you think I should change my job to help myself from being looked down upon?

(Btw, I'm not suggesting that law firm employers are snobs or anything but it's just that retail really sucks. It really does)

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am

roranoa wrote:Would a previous WE in retail be a real downer?

I'm working in retail right now. I'm not a Wall-mart greeter or anything but just an assistant sales manager that requires taking care of analysis reports and warehouse management. (Wow, this sounds really bad even as I'm typing this)

This is a shitty job and I fear it might hurt my image later on. I started a year ago for the money but now I think I could find some other options before law school.

(Btw, I'm not suggesting that law firm employers are snobs or anything but it's just that retail really sucks. It really does)

No, it will not be a real downer but you have to know how to spin it. You say " warehouse management"? Then tell future employers that your experience at Wal Mart taught you how to proactively seek out problems and resolve them in a cost efficient manner, which is something you believe a successful lawyer needs to have and something clients and firms value. Also working in such a large corporate environment imparted on you the critical nature of being a team player and importance of everyone being able to work together cohesively to achieve optimal results.

There is no WE short of prostitution or drug dealer that can be labeled a real downer if you know how to spin it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:55 am

anon168 wrote:There is no WE short of prostitution or drug dealer that can be labeled a real downer if you know how to spin it.

Excellent Customer Service? Small Business Owner? Generated Sales of X or profit margin of Y? (not that I would ever advise disclosing such employment, but, it can be spun)

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm

anon168 wrote:

No, it will not be a real downer but you have to know how to spin it. You say " warehouse management"? Then tell future employers that your experience at Wal Mart taught you how to proactively seek out problems and resolve them in a cost efficient manner, which is something you believe a successful lawyer needs to have and something clients and firms value. Also working in such a large corporate environment imparted on you the critical nature of being a team player and importance of everyone being able to work together cohesively to achieve optimal results.

There is no WE short of prostitution or drug dealer that can be labeled a real downer if you know how to spin it.

Thanks for the reply.

I hope the OP can chime in and offer his 2 cents as well. OP?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:If an interviewee has generally above-median grades, say mostly A-'s with some A's and B+'s, how bad does a single really bad grade look, like a C+ or a C? Is it an automatic disqualification? If not, what kind of effect does it have, and how would you suggest the student address the outlier grade? And does it matter what class it is in?

Not that bad - but all depends. Frankly, I don't think there are many schools at which the profile you suggest would get the cumulative GPA above our cut but could be wrong. Bigger issue would be if the As were in "law of basket weaving" and the C was in torts or something along those lines

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 am

somewhatwayward wrote:I want to work in-house in a GC's office down the road but working in my firm's M&A group isn't a possibility. What is the next best corporate department for working in-house?

General corporate, finance, cap markets, securities, all not bad

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Fiscal cliff." Is this a word your firm's top brass are using in deciding the number of new associates to hire this year, or the size of its summer class?

Not that I know of

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:28 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received a mid-law offer and accepted. The next week I received a big-law offer and I explained that unfortunately I had already accepted an offer. The BL person I spoke with said that they would keep my offer on file and for me to contact them after the summer. What do you think the realistic odds are of getting a shot at the BL firm? (The offer came three weeks after the CB, so I was probably not a first choice, but they did offer).

Contact them after the summer and keep yourself on the radar screen.

You did the right thing by not reneging on midlaw and this will win you brownie points with biglaw.

I think your chances are good at biglaw post graduation. But you never know, things may work out well at midlaw.

agree

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 am

roranoa wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I hope the OP can chime in and offer his 2 cents as well. OP?

if your grades, etc., are good, don't you think it could be useful in doing due diligence on a retail company? totally fine so long as all the other criteria are good. spin it the right way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If an interviewee has generally above-median grades, say mostly A-'s with some A's and B+'s, how bad does a single really bad grade look, like a C+ or a C? Is it an automatic disqualification? If not, what kind of effect does it have, and how would you suggest the student address the outlier grade? And does it matter what class it is in?

Not that bad - but all depends. Frankly, I don't think there are many schools at which the profile you suggest would get the cumulative GPA above our cut but could be wrong. Bigger issue would be if the As were in "law of basket weaving" and the C was in torts or something along those lines

Hey I appreciate the answer, but it just seems a little contradictory to me. Because on the one hand you're saying basically " it shouldn't be a problem," but then you go on to say basically "If you have a C or C+ then its unlikely your overall GPA will meet our cut off."

How can you reconcile those two statements? Is it basically that individual grades don't matter as long as the overall GPA meets the cutoff?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Hey I appreciate the answer, but it just seems a little contradictory to me. Because on the one hand you're saying basically " it shouldn't be a problem," but then you go on to say basically "If you have a C or C+ then its unlikely your overall GPA will meet our cut off."

How can you reconcile those two statements? Is it basically that individual grades don't matter as long as the overall GPA meets the cutoff?

yes

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 am

Did you have really old (like, 31-35 maybe 36) peers when you started at your firm?
How many have stuck around and are they doing well despite their "old" age?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 am

I took a year off between undergrad and law school to help my mother through various health problems (recovering from breast cancer, hip replacement, shoulder surgery, osteoporosis). During this time I worked (very) part-time at a family friend's successful but small law firm, at which I had previously spent a summer interning, but it was essentially 10-15 hours a week.

How should I handle this in interviews? Also, I go to school across the country from my home but I hope to return for work because I want to be close to my family.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:39 pm

roranoa wrote:Did you have really old (like, 31-35 maybe 36) peers when you started at your firm?

Not the OP, but let me take a stab.

At my previous biglaw firm, the older first year associates were generally treated no different by the partners, or their other peer associates. The biggest issue with older associates was with the older associates themselves -- they often had a difficult time taking supervision from midlevel associates who were sometimes younger than they were.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I took a year off between undergrad and law school to help my mother through various health problems (recovering from breast cancer, hip replacement, shoulder surgery, osteoporosis). During this time I worked (very) part-time at a family friend's successful but small law firm, at which I had previously spent a summer interning, but it was essentially 10-15 hours a week.

How should I handle this in interviews? Also, I go to school across the country from my home but I hope to return for work because I want to be close to my family.

There's nothing to "handle" here. You did something -- at least for me -- that is very noble, and nothing to be ashamed of. If someone asks about your year in-between, just tell them what you wrote here. And if they want to know how it affected you, just say something pithy like, "working at a small firm further underscored and piqued my commitment to be a lawyer, and having to take care of a loved one in time of need, made me not only more mature but also gave me a more nuanced perspective of life in general. I think both qualities will serve me well going forward."

Good luck.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:50 pm

anon168 wrote:
roranoa wrote:Did you have really old (like, 31-35 maybe 36) peers when you started at your firm?

At my previous biglaw firm, the older first year associates were generally treated no different by the partners, or their other peer associates. The biggest issue with older associates was with the older associates themselves -- they often had a difficult time taking supervision from midlevel associates who were sometimes younger than they were.

Ok, other than that, was there any other problem? For example, maybe, did they lack physical endurance to burn the oil? Or maybe they couldn't fit in conversations with their younger peers?

Other than having an attitude for taking orders from someone way younger than you what problems do you think the older guys had problems with?

Also can you tell me about how they fared at your firm? Did they perform well? Did they get good reviews? Are at least some of them on partner track? These kind of things.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:59 pm

roranoa wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Ok, other than that, was there any other problem? For example, maybe, did they lack physical endurance to burn the oil? Or maybe they couldn't fit in conversations with their younger peers?

Other than having an attitude for taking orders from someone way younger than you what problems do you think the older guys had problems with?

Also can you tell me about how they fared at your firm? Did they perform well? Did they get good reviews? Are at least some of them on partner track? These kind of things.

Again, everything here is anecdotal ...

No problem with the hours (although I remember one person had a kid at home and that sometimes presented a problem, but I don't think that's unique to "older" associates).

Sometimes the older associates would have a hard time fitting in, esp. if they were something like 5-10 years older than your typical first year K-JD associate. We make Seinfeld references, you make Jersey Shore references -- that kind of thing.

I don't know if they got good reviews because, y'know, those things are generally confidential, but I don't their age necessarily was a factor in their reviews -- either good or bad.

Are they on partnership track? I've been out of my V5 firm for long now, I honestly don't know what happened to them, and I left before it was really an issue we talked about. But I don't think our firm viewed age (within certain reasonable limits of course) as an impediment to partnership. I mean, if you're a 50 year first year, obviously things are going to be a bit different.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want to discuss something in more detail.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:52 pm

I want to do transactional work in San Francisco. I'm currently a 2L. I have had some informational interviews with partners and associates from different firms. When they speak, they often use terms, phrases, and abbreviations that I don't understand. It seems like they're almost speaking a different language. How much business background is expected when you go in as a transactional first-year attorney at a big law firm? How can I learn the terms and language of finance? This is tough. Any other suggestions?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to do transactional work in San Francisco. I'm currently a 2L. I have had some informational interviews with partners and associates from different firms. When they speak, they often use terms, phrases, and abbreviations that I don't understand. It seems like they're almost speaking a different language. How much business background is expected when you go in as a transactional first-year attorney at a big law firm? How can I learn the terms and language of finance? This is tough. Any other suggestions?

you can pick up lots of it on the job. yahoo finance is a useful resource.

i think some firms also have pamphlets/booklets to instruct you, and crash courses/training seminars/etc. i recall latham sending one to a few of my friends, i think it's still around

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I want to do transactional work in San Francisco. I'm currently a 2L. I have had some informational interviews with partners and associates from different firms. When they speak, they often use terms, phrases, and abbreviations that I don't understand. It seems like they're almost speaking a different language. How much business background is expected when you go in as a transactional first-year attorney at a big law firm? How can I learn the terms and language of finance? This is tough. Any other suggestions?

you can pick up lots of it on the job. yahoo finance is a useful resource.

i think some firms also have pamphlets/booklets to instruct you, and crash courses/training seminars/etc. i recall latham sending one to a few of my friends, i think it's still around

investopedia is a great site for looking up terms you're unfamiliar with

Return to “Legal Employment”