V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:Which office for QE? And which one for BSF? For both firms, unlike some other bigger ones, office location really matters.

NY.

Everyone says Quinn is a shitty place to work, but no one ever explains why it's shittier than Cravath, S&C, other sweatshops that pay lower bonuses and don't let you wear yoga pants when you're cranking out memos at 3am. Seriously, is there any actual reason for not choosing Quinn over peer firms/litigation depart,ents based on associate quality of life? or are y'all just jealous you can't wear flip flops to your V15?


For NYC, definitely go to BSF over QE. No brainer.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think for S&C, DPW, or PW? All NYC. I'd say I'm 90% leaning lit, but I could imagine experiencing more corporate work in the summer and deciding I like that more. I know that PW has a better rep for lit, but I can't imagine that that will matter that much for me in my first 3-4 years in the firm. (I don't plan on staying longer than that). Any thoughts?


Between those three firms in NYC if you are leaning lit, I would rank this way:

DPW
SC
PW

Although DPW and SC may easily flip spots depending on what you want to do in litigation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Thoughts on Goodwin NY?

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dbshjb » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:29 pm

How much difference if a firm’s billable hours are 2400 compared with another firm 2000 in terms of life quality?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 pm

dbshjb wrote:How much difference if a firm’s billable hours are 2400 compared with another firm 2000 in terms of life quality?


Huge.

Though if you're struggling to bill 2000 in some markets, QOL might be lower for fear of job security. I don't like billing 2400+, but I do it because it provides me a decent expectation that I won't be canned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:13 pm

thank you for answering these questions. thoughts on linklaters ny?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Flips88 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:46 pm

For the love of god people, this thread is not supposed to be asking someone at one firm what they think of every firm you have an offer from.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:For the love of god people, this thread is not supposed to be asking someone at one firm what they think of every firm you have an offer from.


+ ∞

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again for answering questions.

If my ultimate goal is to be a GC for a tech/emerging company, what kind of firm setting will give me the best skill set/experience: NYC biglaw, Regional biglaw, or full service IP boutique? For the biglaw options I would probably choose general corporate or M&A.

Also would it be possible to get to a GC role if starting in bankruptcy/restructuring?


I'm not OP, just a mere 2L, but if you want to work for a tech/emerging company I think working for the Valley firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson, Fenwick) would be a good idea.


that sounds right. or NY firms, corporate M&A generally. corporate means much more than IP in this context, unless IP boutique specializes in emerging companies (different than "IP")


I don't want to live in the valley or SF. I want to end up in SoCal, OC or SD. Unfortunately I didn't land any of the CA powerhouses. Do you think V30-60 east coast HQ options would still give me a decent shot down the road? Can you give me an example of an IP boutique that does corporate work for emerging companies? Would targeting a local IP firm better than going for east coast based national firms?

fumagalli
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby fumagalli » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 am

anon168 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Milbank v Sullivan & Cromwell for litigation?


Which office?


Anon168, in your opinion, how does one become a good lawyer? Any tips?


I don't mean to be pedantic, but what do you mean by "good lawyer"? And what kind of lawyer -- corp., lit., prosecutor, etc.?

And when you say "good lawyer" do you mean good lawyer in the absolute sense, like how do I become the next Clarence Darrow? or David Boies?

Or do you mean how do I become a good lawyer in biglaw? Or more precisely, how does one become a good associate at a law firm?

Those are two very different things.

If we were to use Venn Diagrams, there might be some intersection but less than you might think.

PM if you want, but otherwise clarify your Q and I'd be happy to help.


You're right, I should've made that clear.

What I mean by a "good lawyer" is basically a good associate at a law firm (Biglaw/ corporate).

Do you think there are particular skills that one should try to hone during law school (or your whole life) so that one can, well, be "good" at what he/she is doing? What are those skills and how do you train yourself? (in your opinion)

OP, said that there are associates that "get it" right off the bat and those that don't. OP also says that he can instantly know whether a first associate "gets it" or not. What do you think are the distinguishing qualities that those associates have?(in Biglaw doing corporate) Do you think one can build those qualities by practice?

I hope this is clear.

Thanks.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 am

fumagalli wrote:
You're right, I should've made that clear.

What I mean by a "good lawyer" is basically a good associate at a law firm (Biglaw/ corporate).


Know how to play the office politics game, kiss the right ass, and kiss it often. Find out who the heavy hitters are in your dept., work for them, make sure they like you. That's how you become a good associate at a law firm.

As a young associate, you're basically fungible. Your work isn't going to distinguish you in any meaningful way, at least not in your first couple of years. So to make your star shine brighter than all the others, make sure the right people have their telescopes focused on your star, and at the right time.

fumagalli wrote:Do you think there are particular skills that one should try to hone during law school (or your whole life) so that one can, well, be "good" at what he/she is doing? What are those skills and how do you train yourself? (in your opinion).


Aside from what I said above (e.g. office politics), attention to detail and organization. Those are essential skills to have as a lawyer -- regardless of whether you are young, old, corporate, litigation, or whatever. There's really no way to train yourself, you either have it or you don't. Those that do, succeed. Those that don't, find a profession that don't require those skills.

fumagalli wrote:OP, said that there are associates that "get it" right off the bat and those that don't. OP also says that he can instantly know whether a first associate "gets it" or not. What do you think are the distinguishing qualities that those associates have?(in Biglaw doing corporate) Do you think one can build those qualities by practice?


This is impossible to answer. To butcher the quote from from Justice Stewart, "you just know it when you see it."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

In ref to 2L SA position. Aside from a modest pay difference what are the negatives and/or positives in selecting a distinguished mid-law firm (roughly 50 attorneys) over a well respected Big Law firm. COL not a factor because they are both in the same city. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 am

What happens once a hiring committee meets - how do they review applicants and do they rank them?

If a student decides not to accept an offer with the firm, does the committee just turn to the next ranked person or do they meet again and discuss all the candidates?

Thank you!

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In ref to 2L SA position. Aside from a modest pay difference what are the negatives and/or positives in selecting a distinguished mid-law firm (roughly 50 attorneys) over a well respected Big Law firm. COL not a factor because they are both in the same city. Thanks.


not sure how distinguished we're talking. but reputation amongst clients and practitioners matters greatly for future employment/prospects/etc.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1578
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What happens once a hiring committee meets - how do they review applicants and do they rank them?

If a student decides not to accept an offer with the firm, does the committee just turn to the next ranked person or do they meet again and discuss all the candidates?

Thank you!


varies from firm to firm. but i don't think it's like that. rather, there's a guesstimation as to yield and a group of offered candidates. if not enough of that group accepts maybe they'll go to the next one?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:46 pm

If an interviewee has generally above-median grades, say mostly A-'s with some A's and B+'s, how bad does a single really bad grade look, like a C+ or a C? Is it an automatic disqualification? If not, what kind of effect does it have, and how would you suggest the student address the outlier grade? And does it matter what class it is in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Do you OCI at GW? Would you hire a GW grad? If so, what does he need to have/do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you OCI at GW? Would you hire a GW grad? If so, what does he need to have/do?


As a GW 2L, I can tell you that there is not a firm in the V15 that would reject a GW student because of the school. I personally at least screened with 13 of the 15 and know people who did the other 2.
Have offers from several.

As for what you need to do: get good grades and try and not be a terrible person.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you OCI at GW? Would you hire a GW grad? If so, what does he need to have/do?


As a GW 2L, I can tell you that there is not a firm in the V15 that would reject a GW student because of the school. I personally at least screened with 13 of the 15 and know people who did the other 2.
Have offers from several.

As for what you need to do: get good grades and try and not be a terrible person.

even Wachtell?

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby TheZoid » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Rc fail. Yes, even Wachtell. He did thirteen of the V15, someone he knows did the other two. Wachtell is V1, so I'm pretty sure that's included in the V15. Having said that, I'm sure they're both tippy top of the class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you OCI at GW? Would you hire a GW grad? If so, what does he need to have/do?


As a GW 2L, I can tell you that there is not a firm in the V15 that would reject a GW student because of the school. I personally at least screened with 13 of the 15 and know people who did the other 2.
Have offers from several.

As for what you need to do: get good grades and try and not be a terrible person.

even Wachtell?


Yes sir. Screened and CBed there. Did not get an offer, but that's almost certainly a "fit" reason. I doubt they brought me up there just to laugh at my non-t14 resume. Don't know if there will be a GWer there in 2013, but I do know of a GW 3L who summered there this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm

TheZoid wrote:Rc fail. Yes, even Wachtell. He did thirteen of the V15, someone he knows did the other two. Wachtell is V1, so I'm pretty sure that's included in the V15. Having said that, I'm sure they're both tippy top of the class.


Yes, GW doesn't rank but I'm probably in the top 5% and on law review. You will have to do extremely well your 1L year to get onto Wachtell's radar as Wachtell does not do OCI at our school (IIRC they only do OCI at 5 schools), but they tell our CSO to let students know that they take direct writes seriously. I can confirm from personal experience that they weren't lying.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:29 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again for answering questions.

If my ultimate goal is to be a GC for a tech/emerging company, what kind of firm setting will give me the best skill set/experience: NYC biglaw, Regional biglaw, or full service IP boutique? For the biglaw options I would probably choose general corporate or M&A.

Also would it be possible to get to a GC role if starting in bankruptcy/restructuring?


I'm not OP, just a mere 2L, but if you want to work for a tech/emerging company I think working for the Valley firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson, Fenwick) would be a good idea.


that sounds right. or NY firms, corporate M&A generally. corporate means much more than IP in this context, unless IP boutique specializes in emerging companies (different than "IP")


I want to work in-house in a GC's office down the road but working in my firm's M&A group isn't a possibility. What is the next best corporate department for working in-house?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 am

"Fiscal cliff." Is this a word your firm's top brass are using in deciding the number of new associates to hire this year, or the size of its summer class?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I received a mid-law offer and accepted. The next week I received a big-law offer and I explained that unfortunately I had already accepted an offer. The BL person I spoke with said that they would keep my offer on file and for me to contact them after the summer. What do you think the realistic odds are of getting a shot at the BL firm? (The offer came three weeks after the CB, so I was probably not a first choice, but they did offer).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.