V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1-2 Transactions? That seems so early, how can you tell that easily?


You'd be surprised - talent really is distinguishible almost immediately.


itbdvorm, this is an old quote, but I was reading through this thread and noticed that you said you thought you could tell whether a junior associate was getting it or had talent after one or two transactions with them. If I had excellent reviews all summer on 10+ projects, is it likely I "get it" or are people just way nicer in reviews than they are when judging talent in their heads? I presume it's the latter, but it is frustrating to not know where you really fall. I got increased responsibility and some contact with outside people on deals, which I should probably take as a better sign than my reviews, I guess.

Also, have you noticed any correlations between "getting it" and various characteristics (school range, grades, etc)? I know you mentioned having more issues with transfer students, but is there anything else?

Can you describe an instance of distinguishing talent immediately?


It's a "know it when you see it." Really hard, sometimes comes from top kids at top schools, sometimes comes from top kids at mediocre schools, sometimes comes from mediocre (grade) kids at top schools. There are people who get the questions and give you the answers at a higher level almost immediately

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 pm

What is more important for corporate exit options (in-house counsel, lateralling to a secondary market, lateralling to a smaller firm): the prestige/quality of your firm/practice area or the amount of substantive experience/work you have under your belt? Do different types of exit options weigh these two factors differently? Will working on deals/transaction which are smaller but staffed very leanly hurt or help my exit options as a junior/mid-level associate?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Tell me what you know about Latham NY. Prestige, exit options, current job security, peer firms, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I didn't think I'd ever have this question but thoughts on Wachtell Lit? Know anyone who works there?
I know the hours are more than your average biglaw - but how much more? 2800? 2900? I'm under the impression (perhaps misguided) that Wachtell Lit hours, while crazy, might be a bit less crazy than Wachtell Corp.

Do people think it's worth it? Not money-wise- I wouldn't make the decision based on money- but experience-wise? Career Options for the future-wise?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is more important for corporate exit options (in-house counsel, lateralling to a secondary market, lateralling to a smaller firm): the prestige/quality of your firm/practice area or the amount of substantive experience/work you have under your belt? Do different types of exit options weigh these two factors differently? Will working on deals/transaction which are smaller but staffed very leanly hurt or help my exit options as a junior/mid-level associate?


Really depends a ton. After a certain level prestige differences are negligible but experiences matter quite a bit. If you can demonstrate you know what you're doing that will be quite beneficial.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tell me what you know about Latham NY. Prestige, exit options, current job security, peer firms, etc.


Uh. Quality firm, probably pretty good exit options, seems like a pretty safe place to work these days, peers with the other V10s (depending on practice areas, though that's pretty standard)?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't think I'd ever have this question but thoughts on Wachtell Lit? Know anyone who works there?
I know the hours are more than your average biglaw - but how much more? 2800? 2900? I'm under the impression (perhaps misguided) that Wachtell Lit hours, while crazy, might be a bit less crazy than Wachtell Corp.

Do people think it's worth it? Not money-wise- I wouldn't make the decision based on money- but experience-wise? Career Options for the future-wise?

Thanks for any help you can provide.


Don't really know folks there so hard to say. Would assume hours (and comp) are large. Probably a good place to go to (and can always leave to greener pastures if not right)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Awkward question to ask. A month after OCI a panicked overly debt adverse friend accepted an offer and a few days later received two better NYC offers (each were $45K better). Given your experience, any advice for this type of situation?

As an FYI, I personally experienced something similar (I stayed with the original offer), but the difference was only $10K, versus a $45K significant variance. Any forgivness in play for bad timing?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby piccolittle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Any thoughts on whether it's easier to move from a foreign market office back to big firm HQ (same firm) or from HQ out to the foreign office? Accepted a big NY firm HQ (over another firm's foreign office) but going crazy wondering if I made the wrong decision when I might want to move to the foreign market soon after law school.

Also, feel free to tell me to go away if this isn't something you can speak to. Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

How often do you hire laterals from the government? I remember reading that if your background screams public service, you would probably toss their application but what about those with experience as aa AUSA or Fed PD that want to go into litigation?
Would these candidates get a leg up or would you rather hire litigation laterals from other firms?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awkward question to ask. A month after OCI a panicked overly debt adverse friend accepted an offer and a few days later received two better NYC offers (each were $45K better). Given your experience, any advice for this type of situation?

As an FYI, I personally experienced something similar (I stayed with the original offer), but the difference was only $10K, versus a $45K significant variance. Any forgivness in play for bad timing?


Uh. talk to OCS? talk to recruiting at the firm he/she'd like to accept at and explain the situation and see what they think?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:43 pm

piccolittle wrote:Any thoughts on whether it's easier to move from a foreign market office back to big firm HQ (same firm) or from HQ out to the foreign office? Accepted a big NY firm HQ (over another firm's foreign office) but going crazy wondering if I made the wrong decision when I might want to move to the foreign market soon after law school.

Also, feel free to tell me to go away if this isn't something you can speak to. Thank you!


i think much easier to go from HQ to foreign office than vice-versa.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How often do you hire laterals from the government? I remember reading that if your background screams public service, you would probably toss their application but what about those with experience as aa AUSA or Fed PD that want to go into litigation?
Would these candidates get a leg up or would you rather hire litigation laterals from other firms?


AUSA is a great credential. not sure about Fed PD. but senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How often do you hire laterals from the government? I remember reading that if your background screams public service, you would probably toss their application but what about those with experience as aa AUSA or Fed PD that want to go into litigation?
Would these candidates get a leg up or would you rather hire litigation laterals from other firms?


AUSA is a great credential. not sure about Fed PD. but senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


What about SEC or IRS?

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How often do you hire laterals from the government? I remember reading that if your background screams public service, you would probably toss their application but what about those with experience as aa AUSA or Fed PD that want to go into litigation?
Would these candidates get a leg up or would you rather hire litigation laterals from other firms?


Only time a firm lateral will have a "leg up" on someone from the USAO (assuming same number of years out of law school) is if the firm lateral has a portable book of business, and a rather significant one.

No one really cares about FPDs.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How often do you hire laterals from the government? I remember reading that if your background screams public service, you would probably toss their application but what about those with experience as aa AUSA or Fed PD that want to go into litigation?
Would these candidates get a leg up or would you rather hire litigation laterals from other firms?


AUSA is a great credential. not sure about Fed PD. but senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


What about SEC or IRS?


What about the SEC or IRS?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for perpetually answering questions in here. I'm a 3L heading to a V15 after graduation. Ideally, I'd like to go solo one day. Do you think after 3-4 years of biglaw lit I'd have the know-how to go solo? I'm afraid that after three years in biglaw I'll still have no idea how to do basics like depositions or drafting discovery requests, much less actual trial work.

Any other practice areas I should consider for making a biglaw to solo transition?

Do you know anyone who went straight from biglaw to solo?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 pm

itbdvorm wrote:senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


Why is this? It seems to me that they likely don't have an immediate book of business. Is that wrong? Are they expected to easily generate one quickly upon moving into private practice?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


Why is this? It seems to me that they likely don't have an immediate book of business. Is that wrong? Are they expected to easily generate one quickly upon moving into private practice?


Their presence helps attract business. Just bring them along to pitches.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


Why is this? It seems to me that they likely don't have an immediate book of business. Is that wrong? Are they expected to easily generate one quickly upon moving into private practice?


They are good door decorations. And it's usually as "income" partner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is more important for corporate exit options (in-house counsel, lateralling to a secondary market, lateralling to a smaller firm): the prestige/quality of your firm/practice area or the amount of substantive experience/work you have under your belt? Do different types of exit options weigh these two factors differently? Will working on deals/transaction which are smaller but staffed very leanly hurt or help my exit options as a junior/mid-level associate?


Really depends a ton. After a certain level prestige differences are negligible but experiences matter quite a bit. If you can demonstrate you know what you're doing that will be quite beneficial.


Not that anon, but to follow up--can you elucidate upon the "certain level" of prestige? Particularly interested in NY where I've heard Vault matters more/is a rough proxy, so maybe you can just point to a number? Are lower V100 corp attys likely to struggle, or can they generally find decent exit ops in NY eventually?

Also, would you say the prestige/experience calculus differs based on whether you're doing lit or corp? (i.e. does the latter matter more for lit)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 pm

itbdvorm wrote:because a few people have been asking me privately, let me know if you'd like me to weigh in on decisions (publicly or privately). will give thoughts to the extent i know.

Quinn vs. Boies? I want to have at least a chance at international work and am interested in a practice group Quinn might be expanding, but those bonuses could pay off my loans 3 times as fast.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 am

bk1 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:senior AUSAs can often get hired directly as partners.


Why is this? It seems to me that they likely don't have an immediate book of business. Is that wrong? Are they expected to easily generate one quickly upon moving into private practice?


lots of possibilities. depends on expertise. but also, useful for when someone calls in trouble. "johnson down the hall prosecuted 50 of these, let's see what he thinks"

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is more important for corporate exit options (in-house counsel, lateralling to a secondary market, lateralling to a smaller firm): the prestige/quality of your firm/practice area or the amount of substantive experience/work you have under your belt? Do different types of exit options weigh these two factors differently? Will working on deals/transaction which are smaller but staffed very leanly hurt or help my exit options as a junior/mid-level associate?


Really depends a ton. After a certain level prestige differences are negligible but experiences matter quite a bit. If you can demonstrate you know what you're doing that will be quite beneficial.


Not that anon, but to follow up--can you elucidate upon the "certain level" of prestige? Particularly interested in NY where I've heard Vault matters more/is a rough proxy, so maybe you can just point to a number? Are lower V100 corp attys likely to struggle, or can they generally find decent exit ops in NY eventually?

Also, would you say the prestige/experience calculus differs based on whether you're doing lit or corp? (i.e. does the latter matter more for lit)


it's "know it when you see it" sometimes. but there are many, many companies out there. can always get a job somewhere. just depends on what.

but yeah, there are going to be different exit opportunities between wachtell and thacher proffit (for example).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.