V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:How does your firm evaluate candidates with advanced degrees in the humanities?


Um. Case by case basis? Would certainly want to know why you did what you did and why you're going to law school after that.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on varsity athletics on a resume?


College? Great. High school? Not so much

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 am

meatball122 wrote:How would you view someone who worked in Marine Corps Intelligence for 5 years and deployed to Iraq once and Afghanistan twice prior to going to law school? Any major bump? Would the fact that im older than most negatively impact me?


We generally like veterans I think. So generally a bump in my eyes, but not a superlative one. If you're an a-hole or have crappy grades won't be enough.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on varsity athletics on a resume?


College? Great. High school? Not so much


Not even varsity powderpuff?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 pm

There is a 2 year gap in my undergraduate transcript- I got married after my jr year and dropped out to work full time (decent office job) to support the family. Finished up my degree right before starting law school. If I explain this adequately and have the grades you're normally looking for, would you hold this against me?

thrillerjesus
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:43 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby thrillerjesus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I was offered a fall internship this morning, and had OCI at my school last week. I want to send an updated resume to the firms I haven't heard from yet. Should I email the person I had the screening interview with, or the firm/office recruitment manager? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a 2 year gap in my undergraduate transcript- I got married after my jr year and dropped out to work full time (decent office job) to support the family. Finished up my degree right before starting law school. If I explain this adequately and have the grades you're normally looking for, would you hold this against me?


Probably not

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:I was offered a fall internship this morning, and had OCI at my school last week. I want to send an updated resume to the firms I haven't heard from yet. Should I email the person I had the screening interview with, or the firm/office recruitment manager? Or does it not matter? Thanks!


Recruitment manager

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I went to a job fair in late July and as a result I received an offer for a job last Thurs, but I'm still doing some screener interviews with firms I'm very interested in at my school's OCI this week. I like the firm that I got the offer from, but it's not one of my top picks. Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one? I got a good vibe from my interviewer this morning about a call back coming up, so would it be possible to talk to the recruiting manager at that firm? Or would any of this come across in a negative way?
Thanks so much!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

How much does a typo hurt someone at the callback stage?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Is it possible to do damage control after a lukewarm callback, and if so, how? I had a really great screener with a partner on a hiring committee and didn't follow it up with my best performance by any means - I was feeling very under the weather and even thought of calling to reschedule first thing in the morning but didn't want to risk looking flaky (cb was on a Monday morning at 10). Ended up looking very blah and being far less engaging than I usually am, and didn't really connect with any of 4 interviewers on the CB.

This is my #1 firm and I'd give anything for a redo. Thoughts?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went to a job fair in late July and as a result I received an offer for a job last Thurs, but I'm still doing some screener interviews with firms I'm very interested in at my school's OCI this week. I like the firm that I got the offer from, but it's not one of my top picks. Is it ever appropriate to mention in screener interviews that I would like to hear back about a call back as soon as possible if they decide to give me one? I got a good vibe from my interviewer this morning about a call back coming up, so would it be possible to talk to the recruiting manager at that firm? Or would any of this come across in a negative way?
Thanks so much!


This would probably come across in a negative way. It is something you can mention to the recruitment staff eventually but I wouldn't do so until the callback stage

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much does a typo hurt someone at the callback stage?


Depends on how bad / glaring. Some folks may notice it and harp upon it, but I'd be surprised if that was common. Overcomeable.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to do damage control after a lukewarm callback, and if so, how? I had a really great screener with a partner on a hiring committee and didn't follow it up with my best performance by any means - I was feeling very under the weather and even thought of calling to reschedule first thing in the morning but didn't want to risk looking flaky (cb was on a Monday morning at 10). Ended up looking very blah and being far less engaging than I usually am, and didn't really connect with any of 4 interviewers on the CB.

This is my #1 firm and I'd give anything for a redo. Thoughts?


Tough call; I'd take a swing at an apologetic email to each of the individuals at your callback explaining that, apologizing and saying how much you enjoyed XYZ about meeting with them

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 am

What do you think about name-dropping? I know the chair of one of the largest practice groups at my favorite firm and he's been REALLY helpful to me and has said that if it comes up naturally, I should say I know him.

Edit: During a CB. I did not mention him during OCI screener.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think about name-dropping? I know the chair of one of the largest practice groups at my favorite firm and he's been REALLY helpful to me and has said that if it comes up naturally, I should say I know him.

Edit: During a CB. I did not mention him during OCI screener.


Mention it to recruiting staff. They'll confirm w/chair and you'll get appropriate "credit" in hiring committee discussions. Don't mention in individual interviews unless it's super natural, seeming like a "name dropper" is a bad thing

Edit - this is actually a good answer for "why us" - well, I know X from growing up and he's always said wonderful things

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 am

If I haven't received a response from within two weeks of an OCI screener (when others have received CBs and dings), is it appropriate to send a follow up email to the recruiter or to just sit tight?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I haven't received a response from within two weeks of an OCI screener (when others have received CBs and dings), is it appropriate to send a follow up email to the recruiter or to just sit tight?


I think you can, as politely and interestedly as you can. But most likely (unfortunately) you're either on hold or a rejection's in the mail...

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:53 pm

For pre-OCI CBs what is your typical timeframe on offer/rejection?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 pm

If you're interviewing a 3L who's applying for clerkships, now, and, knowing he won't hear whether he's got one until 9/15, you say, "keep us abreast of whether you get a clerkship," does that mean you're not rejecting him, since that's happening three whole weeks from now and it would make no sense to ask for information three weeks out from someone you plan to reject, or are you just being polite/could you just be being polite? This happened to me this morning, so I was wondering.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:25 pm

YourCaptain wrote:For pre-OCI CBs what is your typical timeframe on offer/rejection?


pre-OCI callbacks? probably later than usual as we want to see a good comparison. but top grades/school/interview performance (or the opposite) could still be a quick decision

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're interviewing a 3L who's applying for clerkships, now, and, knowing he won't hear whether he's got one until 9/15, you say, "keep us abreast of whether you get a clerkship," does that mean you're not rejecting him, since that's happening three whole weeks from now and it would make no sense to ask for information three weeks out from someone you plan to reject, or are you just being polite/could you just be being polite? This happened to me this morning, so I was wondering.


wow. no idea. maybe they can't hire you now but they might want to bring you in post-clerkship?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm

after sending in my resume and a very tailored cover letter, a firm asked for my transcripts. My resume did not have my grades as I didnt have a great 1L year. I guess this firm did not assume the worst which is a good thing because I am head over heels for the firm. Any thoughs? Should I send in the the transcript with an explanation?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:after sending in my resume and a very tailored cover letter, a firm asked for my transcripts. My resume did not have my grades as I didnt have a great 1L year. I guess this firm did not assume the worst which is a good thing because I am head over heels for the firm. Any thoughs? Should I send in the the transcript with an explanation?


What explanation would you possibly give? I would just send and let them speak for themselves. PM if you want to discuss specifics.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.