V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:55 pm

PinkCow wrote:This is probably just a neurotic concern but...

I am in an unfortunate situation. If anybody googles my first and last name and the state that I am from, the entire first page of google is about this person (with the same middle name as me) who is within 5 years of my age. He's pretty much insane, has been brought up multiple times on major drug charges, has some weird deal trying to run for local sheriff, attempted murder, etc. I come from a small town, and he comes from that town as well...

If anybody has looked me up, they've found all of this. Can I trust them to put 2 and 2 together and realize it's not me? Should I bring this up?

Thanks!

Is it obviously not you? Related to you? Your interviewer probably won't look at this, but recruiting might at some point.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
PinkCow wrote:This is probably just a neurotic concern but...

I am in an unfortunate situation. If anybody googles my first and last name and the state that I am from, the entire first page of google is about this person (with the same middle name as me) who is within 5 years of my age. He's pretty much insane, has been brought up multiple times on major drug charges, has some weird deal trying to run for local sheriff, attempted murder, etc. I come from a small town, and he comes from that town as well...

If anybody has looked me up, they've found all of this. Can I trust them to put 2 and 2 together and realize it's not me? Should I bring this up?

Thanks!

Is it obviously not you? Related to you? Your interviewer probably won't look at this, but recruiting might at some point.

Hell, it's a funny story you can bring up with any interviewers who are chill.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 pm

How should you respond to a "tell me about yourself" question to start the interview. Does that generally mean they haven't read your resume and you need to get your qualifications and interesting points out with your answer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 pm

How much of your decision whether to call someone back is based on the quality of the interview as opposed to a pre-determination based on the students qualification (ie do you have a pretty good idea of who you will be calling back prior to the screener barring an extremely good/bad interview)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Would you say that most students who interview are not spectacular at conversation, interviewing? Am I correct in assuming that most are middle of the road? So, does the interviewer pick the one spectacular student for the call back? How do they decide? grades onlyl?

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 pm

I have a feeling the answer to this question is "it depends on the firm," but how much weight do associate interviewers have in the hiring decision vs. the partners? I recently had a callback with 6 interviewers: 2 partners, 2 junior associates, and 2 senior associates. One partner was downright cold and the other spent most of the time explaining a deal he's working on, making it difficult for me to highlight my interest/skills. However, I feel like I clicked with most of the associates and had great conversations. I REALLY like this firm and have strong ties to the market. But am I screwed? FYI this is a V20 firm. Thanks.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am

Why did you become a lawyer?

Are you enjoying it enough that you would recommend it to your friends?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I have a feeling the answer to this question is "it depends on the firm," but how much weight do associate interviewers have in the hiring decision vs. the partners? I recently had a callback with 6 interviewers: 2 partners, 2 junior associates, and 2 senior associates. One partner was downright cold and the other spent most of the time explaining a deal he's working on, making it difficult for me to highlight my interest/skills. However, I feel like I clicked with most of the associates and had great conversations. I REALLY like this firm and have strong ties to the market. But am I screwed? FYI this is a V20 firm. Thanks.

At my old firm, one person had one vote. Be it associate or partner. There were exceptions of course but 1 person 1 vote was generally the norm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:17 pm

anon168 wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:I have a feeling the answer to this question is "it depends on the firm," but how much weight do associate interviewers have in the hiring decision vs. the partners? I recently had a callback with 6 interviewers: 2 partners, 2 junior associates, and 2 senior associates. One partner was downright cold and the other spent most of the time explaining a deal he's working on, making it difficult for me to highlight my interest/skills. However, I feel like I clicked with most of the associates and had great conversations. I REALLY like this firm and have strong ties to the market. But am I screwed? FYI this is a V20 firm. Thanks.

At my old firm, one person had one vote. Be it associate or partner. There were exceptions of course but 1 person 1 vote was generally the norm.

Was it generally majority vote wins? Or like it had to be 4/1 3/1 etc...

Also were you in a major NYC firm?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much of your decision whether to call someone back is based on the quality of the interview as opposed to a pre-determination based on the students qualification (ie do you have a pretty good idea of who you will be calling back prior to the screener barring an extremely good/bad interview)?

Whenever I did OCI, the your grades got you the CB, the screen was just to make sure you could put two words together without swallowing your own tongue.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Was it generally majority vote wins? Or like it had to be 4/1 3/1 etc...

Also were you in a major NYC firm?

Yes, majority. V5. PM me if you want more info; otherwise I'm going to out myself.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:20 pm

roranoa wrote:Why did you become a lawyer?

This isn't a flame, but if you have to ask us this question, you've got bigger concerns that not flunking a screener and/or CB.

roranoa wrote:Are you enjoying it enough that you would recommend it to your friends?

Say something like this: "Yes, very much so. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys being challenged intellectually and socially. It's definitely a growth experience on both a personal and hopefully professional level."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:55 pm

I've heard that students generally have a 50% chance of getting an offer after going to a callback. Any thoughts on this? Can interviewees greatly improve their chances by scheduling their callbacks as early as possible? I'm in the lower t-14 with callbacks at v50 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:33 pm

As someone who's been in the business for a while, is the whole "culture" thing overblown?

It seems to make sense on the surface, but doesn't it just come down to luck in terms of coming in with the right class of people/getting work from the right partners?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who's been in the business for a while, is the whole "culture" thing overblown?

It seems to make sense on the surface, but doesn't it just come down to luck in terms of coming in with the right class of people/getting work from the right partners?

It's important. Trust me.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 pm

anon168 wrote:

This isn't a flame, but if you have to ask us this question, you've got bigger concerns that not flunking a screener and/or CB.

roranoa wrote:Are you enjoying it enough that you would recommend it to your friends?

Say something like this: "Yes, very much so. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys being challenged intellectually and socially. It's definitely a growth experience on both a personal and hopefully professional level."

I read these questions as being directed at you, rather than what we should say when asked in an interview.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Bedsole wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I read these questions as being directed at you, rather than what we should say when asked in an interview.

It was. I was just wondering how someone as successful as you (relatively successful in a sense that you are doing well at a V5 firm) would answer these questions.

But you're not OP are you?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 am

roranoa wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
anon168 wrote:

It was. I was just wondering how someone as successful as you (relatively successful in a sense that you are doing well at a V5 firm) would answer these questions.

But you're not OP are you?

Nope, I'm not the OP. And sorry if I misunderstood your questions.

But if you'll humor me, I'll be glad to answer your questions.

If I were asked why I wanted to be lawyer, it would be because I enjoy advocacy -- both oral and written. And I knew I wanted to do litigation even before I went to law school. I enjoy being able to take one set of facts and make a case for either side.

As to whether I enjoy it? Yes, absolutely. I enjoyed my time both in private practice and in the government, but for very different reasons. Would I recommend a friend to do it? Yes, but only if their ultimate goal is not to make alot of money.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 am

Plenty of work, but there are people who frankly aren't any good. "Stealth" vs. "that guy wasn't any good and we had to ease him out" may just depend on viewpoint

OP, you said this way back and I was wondering,
Your firm must be selecting people mostly (only?) from T14 schools with decent to good grades and respectable softs, but still find that your selection isn't perfect.

Why do you think that some people who did well in LS don't do well in Biglaw? I understand that LS doesn't really teach you how to do well in Biglaw but then what do you think makes the difference between people who get it and people who don't?

Plus, where do you even learn how to do well in Biglaw?

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 am

If you had a nephew/niece considering LS what kind of advice would you give him/her that would allow him/her to make the right choice?

How would someone judge by himself if he/she is cut out for Biglaw?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

roranoa wrote:
Plenty of work, but there are people who frankly aren't any good. "Stealth" vs. "that guy wasn't any good and we had to ease him out" may just depend on viewpoint

OP, you said this way back and I was wondering,
Your firm must be selecting people mostly (only?) from T14 schools with decent to good grades and respectable softs, but still find that your selection isn't perfect.

Why do you think that some people who did well in LS don't do well in Biglaw? I understand that LS doesn't really teach you how to do well in Biglaw but then what do you think makes the difference between people who get it and people who don't?

Plus, where do you even learn how to do well in Biglaw?

I'm not the OP, but from my experience a lot of times it has come down to "fit" -- which is code for you were not kissing the right ass, or if were kissing the right ass, you weren't kissing it often enough. My old firm (V5) left people go over others who had better performance reviews simply because they were not well liked, or were not protected by a powerful partner.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm

RPK34 wrote:How should you respond to a "tell me about yourself" question to start the interview. Does that generally mean they haven't read your resume and you need to get your qualifications and interesting points out with your answer?

Could. Or could mean they want to see if you can charm them.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Depends on the firm (sorry). But strong negatives either way can sink you.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Are you enjoying it enough that you would recommend it to your friends?

Not going to answer #1. But probably not.

Return to “Legal Employment”