V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby MissLucky » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 pm

If asking about a Senior Thesis, what do you usually ask? "Tell me about your thesis?" And are you looking for me to get into the substance of it or do you want to know about the skills I developed while writing it (creativity, sustained and rigorous research, organization, etc.)? Thanks a lot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

MissLucky wrote:If asking about a Senior Thesis, what do you usually ask? "Tell me about your thesis?" And are you looking for me to get into the substance of it or do you want to know about the skills I developed while writing it (creativity, sustained and rigorous research, organization, etc.)? Thanks a lot.


+1 My thesis topic was a pretty esoteric area of philosophy of the mind, so I'm not sure how much detail I should describe it in. It was an analytical philosophy paper (i.e. critically analyzing the arguments of modern mind scholars, neuroscientists, etc.; and constructing a partial solution to the logical problems posed via an ontological, categorical shift), which definitely prepared me for the sort of issue-spotting you see in law school.

Sorry for the rambling. Should I talk more about the weird topic, or more about the logistics of the thesis?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MissLucky wrote:If asking about a Senior Thesis, what do you usually ask? "Tell me about your thesis?" And are you looking for me to get into the substance of it or do you want to know about the skills I developed while writing it (creativity, sustained and rigorous research, organization, etc.)? Thanks a lot.


+1 My thesis topic was a pretty esoteric area of philosophy of the mind, so I'm not sure how much detail I should describe it in. It was an analytical philosophy paper (i.e. critically analyzing the arguments of modern mind scholars, neuroscientists, etc.; and constructing a partial solution to the logical problems posed via an ontological, categorical shift), which definitely prepared me for the sort of issue-spotting you see in law school.

Sorry for the rambling. Should I talk more about the weird topic, or more about the logistics of the thesis?


If I ask (not so often) I want you to explain what it was about, why you chose it, etc. You can show not tell your skills (i.e., after going through Dr. Jones' personal journal, I discovered references to a long-thought-lost Ark of the Covenant)...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Does your firm ask for undergrad transcripts and, if so, do you have any idea how they are used? I graduated magna from UG (3.6+) but had a terrible freshman year (2.65) so wondering if I need to try and head that off at all. One of my CBs has already asked for an UG transcript.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does your firm ask for undergrad transcripts and, if so, do you have any idea how they are used? I graduated magna from UG (3.6+) but had a terrible freshman year (2.65) so wondering if I need to try and head that off at all. One of my CBs has already asked for an UG transcript.


The only firms I can remember that ask for an undergraduate transcript are Cravath and Seward.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 pm

I did my undergrad in china and studied/worked in the states for 10 years. Lower T14, top 40% ( one Cali award so far), no journals, part-time basis and will have OCI next year. I will bump my GPA over the next year and want to do transnational/corporate, ideally laterally transferred to Beijng/shanghai/Hongkong after working stateside for a couple of years. Do you think I have a shot with NYC Biglaws that have mature presence in Asia?

Thank you!

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did my undergrad in china and studied/worked in the states for 10 years. Lower T14, top 40% ( one Cali award so far), no journals, part-time basis and will have OCI next year. I will bump my GPA over the next year and want to do transnational/corporate, ideally laterally transferred to Beijng/shanghai/Hongkong after working stateside for a couple of years. Do you think I have a shot with NYC Biglaws that have mature presence in Asia?

Thank you!


Probably, sure. I'd even sell it that way. Likely desirable for a number of firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 am

itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:How many hours do you expect first year associates to bill annually? How does that change if they are lookign to get onto the partner track? Also, whats the process like for people who, after four years, lateral out? Do most of them end up working for other firms or do a lot of them work inhouse?


A bit of a range for first year associates. The ones who are serious about getting better/learning/advancing, etc., probably bill in the 2100-2500 range. Not necessarily a huge change for those looking to make partner as talent and aptitude is more of a determinative factor than effort

Most corporate laterals seem to go in-house. Some go to smaller firms. Replace in-house with government/not-for-profit and probably true for litigation as well.


That's encouraging! :D Do you think it's a plus to mention that I want to do split SA ( half done in an Asian office) during OCI interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

I'm just finished my summer at DPW. I leaning towards M&A because I enjoy the work and the people the best. That said, while DPW's M&A group has done some cool deals lately, it's not the most prestigious group at the firm.

I got some advice that with respect to exit options, it's best to pick a group that is the most prestigious within the firm (i.e. lateral firms and in-house look at firm prestige and group prestige). That would mean Capital Markets, and to some extent FIG.

Do you think that advice is sound? Or should I just pick the group that I like/fit the best?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
dakure wrote:How many hours do you expect first year associates to bill annually? How does that change if they are lookign to get onto the partner track? Also, whats the process like for people who, after four years, lateral out? Do most of them end up working for other firms or do a lot of them work inhouse?


A bit of a range for first year associates. The ones who are serious about getting better/learning/advancing, etc., probably bill in the 2100-2500 range. Not necessarily a huge change for those looking to make partner as talent and aptitude is more of a determinative factor than effort

Most corporate laterals seem to go in-house. Some go to smaller firms. Replace in-house with government/not-for-profit and probably true for litigation as well.


That's encouraging! :D Do you think it's a plus to mention that I want to do split SA ( half done in an Asian office) during OCI interviews?


No. Don't do that. You should sell yourself as wanting to start career in X place, but long-term openness to going to China.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just finished my summer at DPW. I leaning towards M&A because I enjoy the work and the people the best. That said, while DPW's M&A group has done some cool deals lately, it's not the most prestigious group at the firm.

I got some advice that with respect to exit options, it's best to pick a group that is the most prestigious within the firm (i.e. lateral firms and in-house look at firm prestige and group prestige). That would mean Capital Markets, and to some extent FIG.

Do you think that advice is sound? Or should I just pick the group that I like/fit the best?


I'd just do group you like/fit the best.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Finished my summer at a large firm in a secondary market. Everything went well in my final review and I received high praise for my work. I left without an offer and without knowledge of when I would hear either way. Given everything went so well in my review, I am very concerned. I have asked others with a similar career position to you, and received mixed responses. I would appreciate any insight you can give as to why this would happen.

Thank you very much for your time/insights!

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Bosque » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finished my summer at a large firm in a secondary market. Everything went well in my final review and I received high praise for my work. I left without an offer and without knowledge of when I would hear either way. Given everything went so well in my review, I am very concerned. I have asked others with a similar career position to you, and received mixed responses. I would appreciate any insight you can give as to why this would happen.

Thank you very much for your time/insights!


I realize I am not the OP, but just in case you overlooked the obvious: did other people from your summer class walk away with a firm offer? If no, then it is probably just the policy of your firm to wait. Some firms just don't decide on offers until after the summers are gone.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby FlanAl » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 pm

So I've seen thank you cards after screeners as an absolute no-go and as something you should definitely do. i usually send them out after interviews, this will be the first time I don't, but if it will really annoy people and is against protocol I will avoid it.

Thanks for any advice on this issue!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finished my summer at a large firm in a secondary market. Everything went well in my final review and I received high praise for my work. I left without an offer and without knowledge of when I would hear either way. Given everything went so well in my review, I am very concerned. I have asked others with a similar career position to you, and received mixed responses. I would appreciate any insight you can give as to why this would happen.

Thank you very much for your time/insights!


I realize I am not the OP, but just in case you overlooked the obvious: did other people from your summer class walk away with a firm offer? If no, then it is probably just the policy of your firm to wait. Some firms just don't decide on offers until after the summers are gone.


No one left with an offer. This was a good point though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I met someone who was of counsel at a regional firm while i was working as a summer clerk for a federal judge where they file a lot of stuff, he forwarded my resume to the recruiter and I am all set for an interview during OCI.

My concern is that I transferred schools from a t2 from where this firm does not recruit from, and my grades at my old school were below their 20%. This firm prefers candidates in the top 20% from my new school. They do not interview from my old school, therefore they most likely do not have a cutoff. Also, I did not even submit a transcript. Do I have a chance? Does my summer clerkship pull any weight or the recommender?

Also, if I was to apply for a SA after my 3l year b/c i am going to clerk after law school, will they only look at my grades from my second and third year or will they also request grades from 1l year from my old school?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

FlanAl wrote:So I've seen thank you cards after screeners as an absolute no-go and as something you should definitely do. i usually send them out after interviews, this will be the first time I don't, but if it will really annoy people and is against protocol I will avoid it.

Thanks for any advice on this issue!


It's not that you shouldn't do it - it's that it's probably just not going to help much...

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I met someone who was of counsel at a regional firm while i was working as a summer clerk for a federal judge where they file a lot of stuff, he forwarded my resume to the recruiter and I am all set for an interview during OCI.

My concern is that I transferred schools from a t2 from where this firm does not recruit from, and my grades at my old school were below their 20%. This firm prefers candidates in the top 20% from my new school. They do not interview from my old school, therefore they most likely do not have a cutoff. Also, I did not even submit a transcript. Do I have a chance? Does my summer clerkship pull any weight or the recommender?

Also, if I was to apply for a SA after my 3l year b/c i am going to clerk after law school, will they only look at my grades from my second and third year or will they also request grades from 1l year from my old school?


A chance - no idea. I'd be surprised if your summer job on its own did anything, but if you impressed the guy with stuff you did, sure, that helps. But hard to say.

Probably ask for all your grades

PlessFightsFire
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby PlessFightsFire » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 pm

If it was a late afternoon screener and applicant brought a cup of coffee and offered it to you acknowledging that it was along day would this play or be too cheesy, presumptuous, subservient etc

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Don't bring the screener coffee, it's not risk/utility justified. You could spill the coffee. The coffee could be too hot. They may have already had coffee recently, may not like coffee in general, may hate the coffee you chose to get, etc etc.

Risking that for the one in a hundred screener who would just die for a cup of year-old Folger's from the doubletree pantry is absurd.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273396
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:If it was a late afternoon screener and applicant brought a cup of coffee and offered it to you acknowledging that it was along day would this play or be too cheesy, presumptuous, subservient etc


This is why I don't worry too much about my interviewing abilities at OCI...

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 pm

.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby PinkCow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 am

This is probably just a neurotic concern but...

I am in an unfortunate situation. If anybody googles my first and last name and the state that I am from, the entire first page of google is about this person (with the same middle name as me) who is within 5 years of my age. He's pretty much insane, has been brought up multiple times on major drug charges, has some weird deal trying to run for local sheriff, attempted murder, etc. I come from a small town, and he comes from that town as well...

If anybody has looked me up, they've found all of this. Can I trust them to put 2 and 2 together and realize it's not me? Should I bring this up?

Thanks!

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby boosk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:If it was a late afternoon screener and applicant brought a cup of coffee and offered it to you acknowledging that it was along day would this play or be too cheesy, presumptuous, subservient etc


I've often wondered this myself.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:If it was a late afternoon screener and applicant brought a cup of coffee and offered it to you acknowledging that it was along day would this play or be too cheesy, presumptuous, subservient etc


I don't recommend this.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.