V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Kring345 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Two real prongs to this as far as I know:

1) Business Maintenance - you're key to a major account. Work for big partners, work on their deals, clients love you, etc.

2) Business Origination - you bring in a huge client.

Some of this is sales, obviously, but much is legal talent, etc. I would say one key is to maintain all of your law school and undergrad relationships as best you can. Never know where people end up.

In another thread by a small firm lawyer, he mentioned he was given leeway to keep ties and offer discounted rates to start up companies in the hopes of future business for the firm. Does the occur? I know of a few friends and family with businesses on the cusp of pretty sizeable success. How would you handle? (If you were a 1st yr associate, for the sake of this question.)

Also,
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!

Your trajectory sounds boring. Hopefully you had fun during all of your childhood and school years. But i do suppose you'll be laughing all the way to the bank (compounding interest and all).

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!


You could note "graduated in 3 years" I guess...

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Kring345 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Two real prongs to this as far as I know:

1) Business Maintenance - you're key to a major account. Work for big partners, work on their deals, clients love you, etc.

2) Business Origination - you bring in a huge client.

Some of this is sales, obviously, but much is legal talent, etc. I would say one key is to maintain all of your law school and undergrad relationships as best you can. Never know where people end up.

In another thread by a small firm lawyer, he mentioned he was given leeway to keep ties and offer discounted rates to start up companies in the hopes of future business for the firm. Does the occur? I know of a few friends and family with businesses on the cusp of pretty sizeable success. How would you handle? (If you were a 1st yr associate, for the sake of this question.)

Also,
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!

Your trajectory sounds boring. Hopefully you had fun during all of your childhood and school years. But i do suppose you'll be laughing all the way to the bank (compounding interest and all).


All depends on the firm. Wachtell, for example, probably couldn't care less about the above until it's real.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dingbat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Kring345 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Two real prongs to this as far as I know:

1) Business Maintenance - you're key to a major account. Work for big partners, work on their deals, clients love you, etc.

2) Business Origination - you bring in a huge client.

Some of this is sales, obviously, but much is legal talent, etc. I would say one key is to maintain all of your law school and undergrad relationships as best you can. Never know where people end up.

In another thread by a small firm lawyer, he mentioned he was given leeway to keep ties and offer discounted rates to start up companies in the hopes of future business for the firm. Does the occur? I know of a few friends and family with businesses on the cusp of pretty sizeable success. How would you handle? (If you were a 1st yr associate, for the sake of this question.)

Just to add something here
All firms do this, but use common sense.
A V5 will not give a discount to a junior associate's high school buddy on his first venture.
A department head's good friend who just retired as Director and Cxx from a Fortune 500 company, on the other hand, stands a pretty good chance of getting a break

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!


You could note "graduated in 3 years" I guess...


i was in a similar position. i didn't put anything on my resume about it, but if anyone looked at my dates they could figure it out. with that said, almost no one noticed. the few people who did, didn't seem impressed one way or another. don't think it's a huge factor. i also think graduating in three years, while may be impressive, shouldn't really be the highlight of your resume. if you have other interesting jobs/experience i dont see the need to include it.

fumagalli
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:36 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby fumagalli » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Are there "nerds" at your firm?

I mean people who are smart but who are somewhat socially inept or maybe just a little shy/quiet because all they did was study their whole life.

I would say that I'm a bit shy/quiet. (I wouldn't call my self a nerd since I actively engage in sports) I worry that my personality would be a problem when I get into Biglaw.

What do you think?

---------------
On a totally unrelated note, how many chances do you think are given to first year associates to come up with good work product? I heard that at some firms (Cravath) that if you are not up to standard for the first two or three assignments and disappoint your superior, they don't ever give you work afterwards and you have to split within a year or so.

Do you think this happens at most firms?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

fumagalli wrote:Are there "nerds" at your firm?

I mean people who are smart but who are somewhat socially inept or maybe just a little shy/quiet because all they did was study their whole life.

I would say that I'm a bit shy/quiet. (I wouldn't call my self a nerd since I actively engage in sports) I worry that my personality would be a problem when I get into Biglaw.

What do you think?

---------------
On a totally unrelated note, how many chances do you think are given to first year associates to come up with good work product? I heard that at some firms (Cravath) that if you are not up to standard for the first two or three assignments and disappoint your superior, they don't ever give you work afterwards and you have to split within a year or so.

Do you think this happens at most firms?


1) yes. we call them the "tax group." (kidding, but only sort of )

2) there are many, many levels of bad. lack of attention to detail is universally an issue w/juniors. but there are serious deficiencies in understanding that are unrecoverable from.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
fumagalli wrote:Are there "nerds" at your firm?

I mean people who are smart but who are somewhat socially inept or maybe just a little shy/quiet because all they did was study their whole life.

I would say that I'm a bit shy/quiet. (I wouldn't call my self a nerd since I actively engage in sports) I worry that my personality would be a problem when I get into Biglaw.

What do you think?

---------------
On a totally unrelated note, how many chances do you think are given to first year associates to come up with good work product? I heard that at some firms (Cravath) that if you are not up to standard for the first two or three assignments and disappoint your superior, they don't ever give you work afterwards and you have to split within a year or so.

Do you think this happens at most firms?


1) yes. we call them the "tax group." (kidding, but only sort of )

2) there are many, many levels of bad. lack of attention to detail is universally an issue w/juniors. but there are serious deficiencies in understanding that are unrecoverable from.



Haha to follow up on your first response, are there major stereotypes about different groups and what are they? The only one I've heard of is the general "work hard, play hard" of M&A groups of some firms(Latham). For someone who is generally open to many different types of work, this may be helpful in deciding the types of coworkers I would like to be around. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:30 pm

.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
fumagalli wrote:Are there "nerds" at your firm?

I mean people who are smart but who are somewhat socially inept or maybe just a little shy/quiet because all they did was study their whole life.

I would say that I'm a bit shy/quiet. (I wouldn't call my self a nerd since I actively engage in sports) I worry that my personality would be a problem when I get into Biglaw.

What do you think?

---------------
On a totally unrelated note, how many chances do you think are given to first year associates to come up with good work product? I heard that at some firms (Cravath) that if you are not up to standard for the first two or three assignments and disappoint your superior, they don't ever give you work afterwards and you have to split within a year or so.

Do you think this happens at most firms?


1) yes. we call them the "tax group." (kidding, but only sort of )

2) there are many, many levels of bad. lack of attention to detail is universally an issue w/juniors. but there are serious deficiencies in understanding that are unrecoverable from.



Haha to follow up on your first response, are there major stereotypes about different groups and what are they? The only one I've heard of is the general "work hard, play hard" of M&A groups of some firms(Latham). For someone who is generally open to many different types of work, this may be helpful in deciding the types of coworkers I would like to be around. Thanks!


Really depends on the firm. That's what the interview process / summer is for

Also - PSA to any readers out there, I think firms are starting to bring people in. I'd consider mass-mailing firms / calling their recruiting teams (even if you've bid them at OCI), never too early.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Is your firm hiring less? This is what a v10 partner I've spoke to said they are going to do this year.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is your firm hiring less? This is what a v10 partner I've spoke to said they are going to do this year.


don't know

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!


You could note "graduated in 3 years" I guess...


i was in a similar position. i didn't put anything on my resume about it, but if anyone looked at my dates they could figure it out. with that said, almost no one noticed. the few people who did, didn't seem impressed one way or another. don't think it's a huge factor. i also think graduating in three years, while may be impressive, shouldn't really be the highlight of your resume. if you have other interesting jobs/experience i dont see the need to include it.


As an 'old', if I were interviewing, I'd personally be concerned about someone super-young with no real life experience. While your top 10%/LR class is a massive positive, graduating in 3 years/going straight through isn't necessarily one.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated a year early from undergrad, went straight through to law school - so I'm definitely the youngest going through OCI at my school. Is this something that I should have on my resume/highlight (in that I graduated with honors from undergrad, and made LR/top 10% in law school even at this young age) or my age something that would make interviewers second-guess me/my maturity/abilities?

Thanks!


You could note "graduated in 3 years" I guess...


i was in a similar position. i didn't put anything on my resume about it, but if anyone looked at my dates they could figure it out. with that said, almost no one noticed. the few people who did, didn't seem impressed one way or another. don't think it's a huge factor. i also think graduating in three years, while may be impressive, shouldn't really be the highlight of your resume. if you have other interesting jobs/experience i dont see the need to include it.


As an 'old', if I were interviewing, I'd personally be concerned about someone super-young with no real life experience. While your top 10%/LR class is a massive positive, graduating in 3 years/going straight through isn't necessarily one.


I'll flip that back at you. Does your life experience mean you think you know more than your supervisor, who may be your age or younger?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:27 am

itbdvorm wrote:I'll flip that back at you. Does your life experience mean you think you know more than your supervisor, who may be your age or younger?


Honest question, sorry if it sounds snarky:

Does this mean you assume that older candidates usually do think that way?

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am

Bedsole wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:I'll flip that back at you. Does your life experience mean you think you know more than your supervisor, who may be your age or younger?


Honest question, sorry if it sounds snarky:

Does this mean you assume that older candidates usually do think that way?


No...but ones who go on and on about their life experiences sometimes do.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby dingbat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:As an 'old', if I were interviewing, I'd personally be concerned about someone super-young with no real life experience. While your top 10%/LR class is a massive positive, graduating in 3 years/going straight through isn't necessarily one.

as an "old" I disagree completely - there are advantages to hiring someone who can be molded by me/us and doesn't come with acquired bad habits.
Last edited by dingbat on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Meeting with an associate from a firm I'm very interested in tomorrow (set it up through a mutual friend). I'm most interested in finding out what the firm looks for in their associates, as well as getting some good talking points for on campus interviews.

What are some pieces of information that you're impressed when interviewees have taken the time to discover that I could ask about?

Thanks.

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Meeting with an associate from a firm I'm very interested in tomorrow (set it up through a mutual friend). I'm most interested in finding out what the firm looks for in their associates, as well as getting some good talking points for on campus interviews.

What are some pieces of information that you're impressed when interviewees have taken the time to discover that I could ask about?

Thanks.


practice areas, recent deals, specialties, etc. read the firm's news

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
fumagalli wrote:Are there "nerds" at your firm?

I mean people who are smart but who are somewhat socially inept or maybe just a little shy/quiet because all they did was study their whole life.

I would say that I'm a bit shy/quiet. (I wouldn't call my self a nerd since I actively engage in sports) I worry that my personality would be a problem when I get into Biglaw.

What do you think?

---------------
On a totally unrelated note, how many chances do you think are given to first year associates to come up with good work product? I heard that at some firms (Cravath) that if you are not up to standard for the first two or three assignments and disappoint your superior, they don't ever give you work afterwards and you have to split within a year or so.

Do you think this happens at most firms?


1) yes. we call them the "tax group." (kidding, but only sort of )

2) there are many, many levels of bad. lack of attention to detail is universally an issue w/juniors. but there are serious deficiencies in understanding that are unrecoverable from.



Haha to follow up on your first response, are there major stereotypes about different groups and what are they? The only one I've heard of is the general "work hard, play hard" of M&A groups of some firms(Latham). For someone who is generally open to many different types of work, this may be helpful in deciding the types of coworkers I would like to be around. Thanks!


Really depends on the firm. That's what the interview process / summer is for

Also - PSA to any readers out there, I think firms are starting to bring people in. I'd consider mass-mailing firms / calling their recruiting teams (even if you've bid them at OCI), never too early.


Is it worthwhile to mass-mail / call firms in NYC even if you are at Michigan , Virginia, Berkley, but won't be in NYC for the summer? I was considering emailing my top choice to ask for a callback interview, and basically tell em "I plan to bid you at OCI, but I'm willing to skip the process should I receive an offer from you prior to OCI". This firm isn't really a reach for me given my school and GPA, more of a target. I'm thinking they probably will just tell me to bid them at OCI, but if nothing else it will show serious interest in the firm. Are there any potential downsides to doing this that I'm not considering? Thanks.

User avatar
Kring345
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Kring345 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Would you be able to give a generic outline of what you did yesterday (or any other day)? Would be interested to see how you spend your time at work. Also do you plan to work this weekend?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273083
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:42 pm

You're the best itbdvorm!

I have some interest in down the line maybe working at a biglaw office in Tokyo. For personal reasons, for the purpose of developing skills, and because I imagine it's easier, I would rather work at a local office then transfer to their Tokyo office if possible. Is this something that would be worth mentioning at an interview? I can imagine it coming off as being unattractive because it makes my potential time at the office seem like a means-to-an-end and therefore making me not a serious candidate. I could also see it being a solid reason for why I'm interested in this particular firm, and demonstrating a long term commitment to the firm as a whole.

FWIW, I have ties to Tokyo and advanced language ability.

Thanks!!

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Really depends on the firm. That's what the interview process / summer is for

Also - PSA to any readers out there, I think firms are starting to bring people in. I'd consider mass-mailing firms / calling their recruiting teams (even if you've bid them at OCI), never too early.


Is it worthwhile to mass-mail / call firms in NYC even if you are at Michigan , Virginia, Berkley, but won't be in NYC for the summer? I was considering emailing my top choice to ask for a callback interview, and basically tell em "I plan to bid you at OCI, but I'm willing to skip the process should I receive an offer from you prior to OCI". This firm isn't really a reach for me given my school and GPA, more of a target. I'm thinking they probably will just tell me to bid them at OCI, but if nothing else it will show serious interest in the firm. Are there any potential downsides to doing this that I'm not considering? Thanks.


Sure. Interest is always nice. Depending on the firm you could always suggest meeting in a more convenient office for a screener (Chicago, SF, DC)...I wouldn't ask for a callback

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Kring345 wrote:Would you be able to give a generic outline of what you did yesterday (or any other day)? Would be interested to see how you spend your time at work. Also do you plan to work this weekend?


generic outline is tough. assume a lot of time reading emails (before I even get in maybe 20-30 min of going through / responding to stuff), tons of time on calls, reviewing revising documents (little ones during 9-5, big ones that require steadier concentration during 5-12). lots of variation. negotitations when appropriate, not nearly as many in-person.

am indeed working this weekend

itbdvorm
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You're the best itbdvorm!

I have some interest in down the line maybe working at a biglaw office in Tokyo. For personal reasons, for the purpose of developing skills, and because I imagine it's easier, I would rather work at a local office then transfer to their Tokyo office if possible. Is this something that would be worth mentioning at an interview? I can imagine it coming off as being unattractive because it makes my potential time at the office seem like a means-to-an-end and therefore making me not a serious candidate. I could also see it being a solid reason for why I'm interested in this particular firm, and demonstrating a long term commitment to the firm as a whole.

FWIW, I have ties to Tokyo and advanced language ability.

Thanks!!


Just make sure that the office is busy, etc. If it's a two-person office they may not have much interest. Otherwise, sure, that could be very appealing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.