V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:26 am

Thoughts on a Staff Attorney converting to Associate?

I most likely would have been competitive for this firm during 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Due to focus of my firm I am doing more and more specialized work. I am considering lateraling in a few years to a different geographic region and firms in the new region would most likely not do what I am doing. Is the fact that I am doing specialized work a problem or when looking for a lateral are firms open to people who have experience even if not exactly what they need. Is there a way to signal that I would be willing to lose a class year if necessary or will that make me look desperate. I am in a corporate practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you for doing this!

Rising 2L, median at a lower T13.

1. Say my dream job is AUSA. Is that out of the question now? (Don't need a prestigious office like SDNY, could work in lesser known district like NDNY or WDNY.)
2. Any firms I should target if that is my goal? I know some will be out of the question due to my grades.
3. How many years would an associate typically work at a firm before transferring to AUSA? What's the minimum?
4. Any thoughts on NY state attorney general's office? How is the experience viewed/valued by firms as compared to AUSA? Does the fact that it's NY attorney general add any weight, as opposed to a flyover state?

I appreciate any/all insight you can provide!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:48 pm

This has been touched on previously in the thread, but just to clarify given the recent trend...

Is there a serious disadvantage to mailing firms that are coming to OCI? You mentioned previously that the worst that could happen is they say "we'll see you at OCI." But people in other threads have suggested that mailing early with lower or median grades could put you in a permanent "reject" pile, where the firm won't even consider you at OCI. Therefore it would be better to not disclose your grades beforehand.

Is there any truth to this? Assume lottery OCI, where firms can't preselect and they have to interview us if we get matched up. Could I really screw up my chance at that interview by mailing them my grades ahead of time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 pm

How do you view joint degree students in OCI who have finished two years of law school? Will we be prejudiced? I did not get a summer law firm job in 2L OCI and plan to take advantage of an advanced degree to do another round of OCI. PS: GPA significantly improved in 2L; PPS: did not take those seminars but all substantive courses with 1L curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This has been touched on previously in the thread, but just to clarify given the recent trend...

Is there a serious disadvantage to mailing firms that are coming to OCI? You mentioned previously that the worst that could happen is they say "we'll see you at OCI." But people in other threads have suggested that mailing early with lower or median grades could put you in a permanent "reject" pile, where the firm won't even consider you at OCI. Therefore it would be better to not disclose your grades beforehand.

Is there any truth to this? Assume lottery OCI, where firms can't preselect and they have to interview us if we get matched up. Could I really screw up my chance at that interview by mailing them my grades ahead of time?
This.

Also, two questions off of this:
1) If you're solidly above median at MVP can there be a disadvantage in applying to the very grade selective firms?
2) Would you direct mass mails to recruiting or an attorney specifically?

BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: V15 OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by BulletTooth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:58 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:1) Can you come across as too forceful or overbearing in an interview by trying to sell your strengths hard.

2) If the interviewer seems like they want to just shoot the breeze, is it better to tone it down or keep selling your strengths?
Yes and tone down. Show, don't tell. If you're smart, or charming, or witty, or clever, etc., demonstrate it by your discussion rather than telling them that you are. Tell a story that demonstrates it, ask an insightful question about the interviewer, make a clever joke (but don't work blue)
+1. "Show, don't tell" is probably the best cover letter and interview advice 1Ls can have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Question for this pre-oci season.

I'm a rising 2L at essentially median at a t10 (slightly above but I expect not enough to matter).

I've got Spanish fluency, strong interest in corporate work in LATAM (Capital Markets, M&A, Project Finance) and am working for a relatively prestigious foreign firm all in Spanish for my 1L summer. I've been hustling in terms of reaching out to firms that do what I want to do pre-oci, and have gotten several offers from V-25ish NY firms to come in for a pre-OCI screener after reaching out to recruiting. I'm not really sure what to make of these screeners since all these firms are coming to OCI on campus anyway, is there really any value to getting in early? Is it something I should continue spending resources on this summer? Due to my summer I can't come to NY any earlier than two weeks before OCI and I feel like due to unimpressive grades I'm not going to get an insta-callback offer. Do you have any thoughts? Is there a real difference between an in-office screener as opposed to an OCI screener?

I appreciate all the advice and insight you've given in this thread.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for this pre-oci season.

I'm a rising 2L at essentially median at a t10 (slightly above but I expect not enough to matter).

I've got Spanish fluency, strong interest in corporate work in LATAM (Capital Markets, M&A, Project Finance) and am working for a relatively prestigious foreign firm all in Spanish for my 1L summer. I've been hustling in terms of reaching out to firms that do what I want to do pre-oci, and have gotten several offers from V-25ish NY firms to come in for a pre-OCI screener after reaching out to recruiting. I'm not really sure what to make of these screeners since all these firms are coming to OCI on campus anyway, is there really any value to getting in early? Is it something I should continue spending resources on this summer? Due to my summer I can't come to NY any earlier than two weeks before OCI and I feel like due to unimpressive grades I'm not going to get an insta-callback offer. Do you have any thoughts? Is there a real difference between an in-office screener as opposed to an OCI screener?

Uh yes absolutely keep pursuing these opportunities. See if the firm will pay for you to come up. This should be your number one priority this summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:56 am

Martin Brody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question for this pre-oci season.

Uh yes absolutely keep pursuing these opportunities. See if the firm will pay for you to come up. This should be your number one priority this summer.
All the firms I've spoken to have been clear that if they like me they will pay for me to come back, but the first 20 minute-ish screener is on my dime. I shouldn't have asked whether to keep doing it I suppose because of course I'll keep reaching out, and I understand at worst it shows I'm interested in the firm, but I do wonder if it has any impact beyond that. Obviously I'll do my homework on the firms and bring my A-game to the screener, but I do wonder how different that is perceived from bidding at OCI and going to the hospitality suite etc etc. Is there a shot at instant callbacks from an office screener keeping in mind that my GPA is barely in the door at these firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Would you hire a candidate with a ~3.0 GPA 1L and ~3.8 GPA 2L/3L? Would a sub-3.0 1L fall semester be a deal-breaker?

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you hire a candidate with a ~3.0 GPA 1L and ~3.8 GPA 2L/3L? Would a sub-3.0 1L fall semester be a deal-breaker?
I'm not the op, but convential wisdom on TLS is that it doesn't matter if you have a better first or second semester, all that matters is 1L gpa. Dunno about firm cutoffs, but the law school you attend matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

How do people with strong personalities tend to fare in biglaw as associates as they move up in years of experience? Assuming coastal firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

itbdvorm wrote:A quote.
In case you're still around, what are your thoughts on which firms in the V100 (particularly V20) are more friendly to outer borough types. I don't have the prep school background to have good fit at a place like Sullivan & Cromwell or Simpson Thatcher and was wondering where besides Skadden is reputed as more Brooklyn (Coney Island, not Williamsburg) friendly? Assume person can speak normally with perhaps a slight New York inflection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:12 pm

[]

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”