V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

roranoa wrote:Are all partners in V15 NYC firms well-rounded, exceptionally smart, and beaming with energy like they do in TV shows? (of course, in your opinion)
(This might sound like a silly question on the surface but I ask this question because I have a certain idea of what attributes makes one partner/survivor at a v15 firm in NYC)
no. many are. some are weirdos. all are pretty good on the phone in the respective practice area. many have big flaws

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:32 pm

anon168 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Generally, are the exit options better for litigators or corporate 2-4 years out?
corporate by a factor of 1000x
Sorry but that's too glib.

Whether your exit options are "better" vis-a-vis litigation versus corporate depends on what you want to exit to.

If you want to go in-house, for example, then a transactional attorney will have "better" exit options than their litigation counterpart.

On the other hand, if you wanted to work in the public/government sector, your exit options as a transactional attorney are almost nil.
true-ish.

public/government = DA = yes, lit is better

public/government = regulatory practice, working for any number of agencies, working for candidates, etc. = not sure.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
anon168 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Generally, are the exit options better for litigators or corporate 2-4 years out?
corporate by a factor of 1000x
Sorry but that's too glib.

Whether your exit options are "better" vis-a-vis litigation versus corporate depends on what you want to exit to.

If you want to go in-house, for example, then a transactional attorney will have "better" exit options than their litigation counterpart.

On the other hand, if you wanted to work in the public/government sector, your exit options as a transactional attorney are almost nil.
true-ish.

public/government = DA = yes, lit is better

public/government = regulatory practice, working for any number of agencies, working for candidates, etc. = not sure.
Very few, if any, government agencies -- even regulatory ones -- need or use transactional lawyers. Settlement agreements and contract that are negotiated and entered into by Executive Agencies such as DOT or DHS are generally done by litigators. For the life of me, I can't think of any federal (or even state/local) government agency needing a M&A type lawyer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 pm

I have a 3.5 at M. Target market = Chicago. If I bid on interviews with firms that are less selective about grades (ones with a median offer GPA at M the last few years around 3.1-3.2) will my higher GPA help me out, or does it not matter once you're above the firm's cutoff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 3.5 at M. Target market = Chicago. If I bid on interviews with firms that are less selective about grades (ones with a median offer GPA at M the last few years around 3.1-3.2) will my higher GPA help me out, or does it not matter once you're above the firm's cutoff?
What I've been told by a couple hiring partners is that, once you're above the cutoff, a higher GPA only matters insofar as it relates to LR, or things along the line of Stone Fiske scholar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a 3.5 at M. Target market = Chicago. If I bid on interviews with firms that are less selective about grades (ones with a median offer GPA at M the last few years around 3.1-3.2) will my higher GPA help me out, or does it not matter once you're above the firm's cutoff?
What I've been told by a couple hiring partners is that, once you're above the cutoff, a higher GPA only matters insofar as it relates to LR, or things along the line of Stone Fiske scholar.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 am

Do you think the partners look at which schools the associates went to before they hand out work? Say, a Harvard partner trying to avoid the lesser of the T14?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am

roranoa wrote:Do you think the partners look at which schools the associates went to before they hand out work? Say, a Harvard partner trying to avoid the lesser of the T14?
Again, this is info I've gotten directly from a partner. Once you're in the door, everyone is assumed equal until they prove otherwise. Summer work initially goes to the SA who is next in line, or is in the group and has time to spare. When you start full-time, partners and senior associates have samples of your work product and some first, or second-hand accounts of what working with you was like. They're going to prefer giving their assignments to people who were easy to work with and turned in good work. Once you have work product, it no longer matters if you went to Yale or SMU.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
roranoa wrote:Do you think the partners look at which schools the associates went to before they hand out work? Say, a Harvard partner trying to avoid the lesser of the T14?
Again, this is info I've gotten directly from a partner. Once you're in the door, everyone is assumed equal until they prove otherwise. Summer work initially goes to the SA who is next in line, or is in the group and has time to spare. When you start full-time, partners and senior associates have samples of your work product and some first, or second-hand accounts of what working with you was like. They're going to prefer giving their assignments to people who were easy to work with and turned in good work. Once you have work product, it no longer matters if you went to Yale or SMU.
This is generally correct

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP, are there exceptions you've seen? What kind?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm

roranoa wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP, are there exceptions you've seen? What kind?
if you look / dress / act / speak / write in a manner that suggests you're not going to be doing good work, not being from the best of schools will hurt you. the harvard kid can occasionally get away with a few things that the RandomU kid can't. all of this goes away by the time you're a 3rd year

europhile

New

Post by europhile » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:56 am

First of all, thank you for taking questions. I went to lunch yesterday with a corporate (M&A, Capital Markets, Venture Capital) partner at a NLJ 250 firm in San Francisco. One of the questions I asked him was what he found most intellectually challenging and exciting about his work. His response was that it would be a mistake for me to expect interesting, intellectually challenging and varied work, even as a partner. He said 80% of his work is routine and that he often does clerical tasks much like a paralegal. Now, his firm is not strong in corporate work at all. So, I am hoping that his experience isn't representative of what M&A or venture capital work might be like at firms with stronger reputations, either in San Francisco or New York. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by europhile on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:49 am

europhile wrote:First of all, thank you for taking questions. I went to lunch yesterday with a corporate (M&A, Capital Markets, Venture Capital) partner at a NLJ 250 firm in a San Francisco One of the questions I asked him was what he found most intellectually challenging and exciting about his work. His response was that it would be a mistake for me to expect interesting, intellectually challenging and varied work, even as a partner. He said 80% of his work is routine and that he often does clerical tasks much like a paralegal. Now, his firm is not strong in corporate work at all. So, I am hoping that his experience isn't representative of what M&A or venture capital work might be like at firms with stronger reputations, either in San Francisco or New York. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Not OP, but no job is interesting all the time. The balance varies based on actual job/work assignments, and personal preference, but 80% slog is one I've heard many times.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Do OCI screeners look for different qualities depending on a firm's focus on litigation vs for example corporate transactions work?
Would outstanding grades in legal reasoning and writing weigh more for a firm whose practice is very focused on litigation?

Thank you also for your great contribution to TLS

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
europhile wrote:First of all, thank you for taking questions. I went to lunch yesterday with a corporate (M&A, Capital Markets, Venture Capital) partner at a NLJ 250 firm in a San Francisco One of the questions I asked him was what he found most intellectually challenging and exciting about his work. His response was that it would be a mistake for me to expect interesting, intellectually challenging and varied work, even as a partner. He said 80% of his work is routine and that he often does clerical tasks much like a paralegal. Now, his firm is not strong in corporate work at all. So, I am hoping that his experience isn't representative of what M&A or venture capital work might be like at firms with stronger reputations, either in San Francisco or New York. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Not OP, but no job is interesting all the time. The balance varies based on actual job/work assignments, and personal preference, but 80% slog is one I've heard many times.
The clerical part is odd - and not expecting it at all is also odd. Negotiations are certainly interesting, though can be painful as well depending on who's on the other side.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do OCI screeners look for different qualities depending on a firm's focus on litigation vs for example corporate transactions work?
Would outstanding grades in legal reasoning and writing weigh more for a firm whose practice is very focused on litigation?

Thank you also for your great contribution to TLS
I don't know. Isn't that class pass/fail at most top schools?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I know you have already talked slightly about outlier grades and cutoffs, but I have one that's pretty far off, and it makes my GPA slightly lower than the known "preferred" GPA cutoffs for the more-selective firms. You essentially said in your last post that overall GPA is all that matters, but if I'm well above your cutoff without that grade, and slightly below with, can my grades warrant consideration? AKA is this a realistic "reach" or should I avoid bidding these firms at OCI?

I have some connections at these firms I can namedrop in interviews that would likely be willing to put in a good word if asked.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know you have already talked slightly about outlier grades and cutoffs, but I have one that's pretty far off, and it makes my GPA slightly lower than the known "preferred" GPA cutoffs for the more-selective firms. You essentially said in your last post that overall GPA is all that matters, but if I'm well above your cutoff without that grade, and slightly below with, can my grades warrant consideration? AKA is this a realistic "reach" or should I avoid bidding these firms at OCI?

I have some connections at these firms I can namedrop in interviews that would likely be willing to put in a good word if asked.
I have a follow-up question along the same line.

If the candidate shows strong interests in the firm (previously networking meeting with partners/associates) and the candidate has good WE and good interview skills, will your firm ever extend call backs or offers to candidates who don't meet the grade cutoff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:52 pm

what do you make of DPW's buyout offers (http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/nationwi ... avis-polk/)?

ominous, or just standard housekeeping?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know you have already talked slightly about outlier grades and cutoffs, but I have one that's pretty far off, and it makes my GPA slightly lower than the known "preferred" GPA cutoffs for the more-selective firms. You essentially said in your last post that overall GPA is all that matters, but if I'm well above your cutoff without that grade, and slightly below with, can my grades warrant consideration? AKA is this a realistic "reach" or should I avoid bidding these firms at OCI?

I have a follow-up question along the same line.

If the candidate shows strong interests in the firm (previously networking meeting with partners/associates) and the candidate has good WE and good interview skills, will your firm ever extend call backs or offers to candidates who don't meet the grade cutoff?
a) do not name drop in interviews (other than as part of your response to "why us"). reach out to your connections before the interview and if they are real, they'll put in a good word.
b) grades are grades.
c) if you are really awesome, it's possible people will go to bat for you if you're a little below. but only you can assess whether or not you're likely to have a chance at being deemed really awesome.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what do you make of DPW's buyout offers (http://abovethelaw.com/2013/07/nationwi ... avis-polk/)?

ominous, or just standard housekeeping?
not shocking. DPW's been taking actions like this for some time now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Is there one question you think interviewees regularly swing and miss on? (What is it?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Got a 1L CB with a firm but didn't get the gig. They've since reconnected with me and invited me to dinner during interview week in lieu of a screening interview. What should I expect (i.e., numbers wise, situation wise, their intentions, etc)?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Is there one question you think interviewees regularly swing and miss on? (What is it?)
"why [firm x]?" do your homework. it's not that hard. every firm prides itself on [something]. find out what that is, or a variation on it, and be able to ask a smart question

also, "do you have any questions for me?" fantastic way to differentiate yourself / demonstrate you've thought about the firm.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a 1L CB with a firm but didn't get the gig. They've since reconnected with me and invited me to dinner during interview week in lieu of a screening interview. What should I expect (i.e., numbers wise, situation wise, their intentions, etc)?
expect either a direct callback or an offer. but be on your best behavior.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”