V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 pm

CCN with top 25% before one bad grade, brings me to top 40%.

You said earlier that your cut is around top 1/3 and that borderline candidates have to "wow" you. How much do I have to wow you? Can a networking connection (not client/money related) get me serious consideration?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN with top 25% before one bad grade, brings me to top 40%.

You said earlier that your cut is around top 1/3 and that borderline candidates have to "wow" you. How much do I have to wow you? Can a networking connection (not client/money related) get me serious consideration?
Also, how can I wow you in the interview itself? I'm in a similar position in regards to being a borderline candidate.

Edited because I didn't proofread

CA91

New

Post by CA91 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 pm

So I'm interested in corporate law, specifically venture capital, and of the few interviews I've had over the summer it seemed as though several times the interviewer was from a different practice area. I've gotten "We have a corporate group, but I don't really know what they do" a lot, which makes it harder for us to have a smooth conversation.

Is there any advice for how to approach this type of situation? More specifically, should I straight off the bat mention that I'm interested in corporate, or should I hide the area that I want to practice in until the end. Also, I'm having trouble coming up with good questions for interviewers in practice areas that I have no expertise in (ex. land use/healthcare). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:(brought it to the front b/c you skipped it. Anon b/c I'm asking around a lot about this online/offline)
Do you know how hard it is for foreigners to get sponsership for a green card from their BigLaw employers? Will employers sponser only if you're considered for partner or is it more flexible than that? Please tell me how your firm handles this.
no idea. but foreigners work at many big firms

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CCN with top 25% before one bad grade, brings me to top 40%.

Also, how can I wow you in the interview itself? I'm in a similar position in regards to being a borderline candidate.

Edited because I didn't proofread
i'm not getting into details re: cuts/specifics. in terms of wowing me, you know it when you see it. are you a persuasive individual, able to lead groups of people well? are you a weird and creepy wallflower?

if you are generally charismatic don't press it. if you are uncomfortable speaking to strangers don't press it either. be yourself. if yourself is "wow", you'll make it. if you're within our grade range you're more likely to make it but being yourself than by trying too hard

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

CA91 wrote:So I'm interested in corporate law, specifically venture capital, and of the few interviews I've had over the summer it seemed as though several times the interviewer was from a different practice area. I've gotten "We have a corporate group, but I don't really know what they do" a lot, which makes it harder for us to have a smooth conversation.

Is there any advice for how to approach this type of situation? More specifically, should I straight off the bat mention that I'm interested in corporate, or should I hide the area that I want to practice in until the end. Also, I'm having trouble coming up with good questions for interviewers in practice areas that I have no expertise in (ex. land use/healthcare). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
that's a failing by the firm if they're sending people who can't talk well about other practice groups. i'd sell why you're interested in that but if they can't talk about something ask them how they ended up in their PG. always a winner

BigLaw_Lit

New

Post by BigLaw_Lit » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm

How would work experience at an economic consulting firm (nera, cornerstone research etc) be looked at during oci. I would like to start at a t14 next year straight from undergrad but I would consider working for one year before starting if it would give me a real edge.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm

I received an offer on Friday, but was in a callback at the time. The partner was really nice in the voicemail and told me that they would send me a formal offer soon and to contact him if I had any questions or to schedule another visit, and then gave me his number. I really enjoyed my visit but still want to go out on some call backs before I make up my mind. I still have not gotten back to him about the offer? Should I call (I don't have any particular questions, just want to be polite) or would an email be more appropriate?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Can you compare the quality of questions you get in this thread with those you are asked during an OCI interview? Obviously they are of two different types (here more like advice, there more details about the firm). My question generally relates to the depth of thought that goes into the formation of the question. Are they similar?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:How would work experience at an economic consulting firm (nera, cornerstone research etc) be looked at during oci. I would like to start at a t14 next year straight from undergrad but I would consider working for one year before starting if it would give me a real edge.

Thanks
biggest edge it would likely give you is the experience of working hard. otherwise, good but not life-changingly good.

itbdvorm

Gold

Anonymous User wrote:I received an offer on Friday, but was in a callback at the time. The partner was really nice in the voicemail and told me that they would send me a formal offer soon and to contact him if I had any questions or to schedule another visit, and then gave me his number. I really enjoyed my visit but still want to go out on some call backs before I make up my mind. I still have not gotten back to him about the offer? Should I call (I don't have any particular questions, just want to be polite) or would an email be more appropriate?
nice email is fine

itbdvorm

Gold

run26.2 wrote:Can you compare the quality of questions you get in this thread with those you are asked during an OCI interview? Obviously they are of two different types (here more like advice, there more details about the firm). My question generally relates to the depth of thought that goes into the formation of the question. Are they similar?
hard to tell. people are probably smarter about the OCI questions they ask...

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm

got this in a PM, thought my answers might be helpful
XXX wrote:Hi itbdvorm:

I'm a 2L at the University of XXX, top XX%, Law Review. So, I had a pretty good year, not great. But, I'm getting killed in OCIs right now. All the local firms dinged me with out so much as an OCI, in fact, the only firm that I got an OCI with, so far, is a satellite office of a V15 in another state. I have about XX years of work experience in XXX, and I've moved around the country quite a bit (XXX).

With that as context, I have a few questions.

1. I suspect that my geographically varied background is part of the reason for the auto-dings in OCI (XXXis a very parochial legal market). How can I make this into more of a strength? I'm willing to work, and stay, in pretty much any major market. Are there markets I should focus on that might be more likely to hire someone with my background? Are there markets that are particularly selective or particularly open? Would I have more luck in a satellite office or the firms home office?

2. Since it's almost a certainty, at this point, that I'll have to find something outside of OCI, what's the best way to handle going about doing so? If I'm applying to other markets, should I make a point of explaining in my cover letter my connection to a particular city or area, or just forget about it if its too tenuous? I feel like I might be overcompensating in this area because of my OCI experience. I'd rather focus my time on what appeals to me about a particular office, and what I think I can offer, than talking about how I had family somewhere growing up or something equally contrived.

3. XXX has steadily risen up the US news Rankings, to XX this year. We have a median LSAT of XXX and a median UGPA of XX. Would it be worth noting that in, maybe not a cover letter, but the email to which the cover letter is attached? We have a pretty strong class, and we're certainly competitive, numbers-wise, with schools where a lot of firms (in other markets) recruit. Is there a way to overcome that home-court advantage?

I'm not sure if you'll have time to read all of this, but if so, I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thank you!
1) I am absolutely sure that's the case. Have you tried talking to any professors you're close with? Is there a particular market you're interested in? You can't really make it more of a strength because the key factor that every place is looking for is someone interested in staying there long term (i.e., 5+ years). So you're better off aiming for big markets (NY, Chicago, LA, Houston maybe) than smaller places where they assume people may run away

2) Always explain connections. It helps them take you seriously. "Connections" doesn't mean something tenuous - write something that the reader would think "this guy is going to spend the rest of his life here whether we hire him or not"

3) Sure, that helps

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Given the option of selecting a mid-sized NLJ-firm vs a fortune 200 company and all things being similar (ala pay, location, etc.) what are the notable differences? If you can wildly generalize, what is the best choice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:How would work experience at an economic consulting firm (nera, cornerstone research etc) be looked at during oci. I would like to start at a t14 next year straight from undergrad but I would consider working for one year before starting if it would give me a real edge.

Thanks
I did a few years at an econ consulting firm. Many lit partners will recognize the names, and it gives you more to talk about during the interview instead of just your classwork and internships. Aside from that, I don't know if it gave me any substantial boost other than a demonstrated interested in finance / securities work.

However. If I had to do it again, I would still work for a few years unless I was admitted into Yale. I'd say that most people at law school have worked for a few years, and being young, in a major city, without a soul crushing amount of debt is a lot of fun. I got good work experience out of it, built up a little pile of cash, and do think I got the little work experience bump during recruiting (I was able to have pretty substantive convos about the practice areas I was interested in).

If you are interested, we can try to set up a PM and I'll talk to you more about it offline.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

J. D. wrote:Given the option of selecting a mid-sized NLJ-firm vs a fortune 200 company and all things being similar (ala pay, location, etc.) what are the notable differences? If you can wildly generalize, what is the best choice?
there are enormous differences. "best" choice is wrong - right choice for you as the right answer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I want to convey to firm X that they are sincerely my ideal firm (they really are). I have already hit it off well with the interviewer at a law review mixer this summer, so I also have that going for me.

Would it come off wrong to tell them during my screener that they are truly my number one choice? I want to try and convey that they are not just another firm I'm interviewing with.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to convey to firm X that they are sincerely my ideal firm (they really are). I have already hit it off well with the interviewer at a law review mixer this summer, so I also have that going for me.

Would it come off wrong to tell them during my screener that they are truly my number one choice? I want to try and convey that they are not just another firm I'm interviewing with.

Thanks!
I have a similar question, but at the callback stage. I was able to get a callback from a firm I really, really obscenely like (from what I've experienced, at least). Is this something mentionable during a CB or would that almost alarm them (or perhaps, as I suspect, would it vary depending on person?)

I've had good conversations with nearly everyone I've been able to talk to from the firm (5 attorneys from various offices and 1 recruiter) and I plan on talking to summers from this year. I was so excited when I received my callback I'm pretty sure I babbled incoherently on the phone to my interviewer (he just laughed)...much like what I seem to be doing now for this post. I've been checking this board and talking to alumni and upperclassmen and I know that the CB stage is likely more about fit. I just want an offer from this firm so much I feel like I'm becoming a nervous wreck from worry, which I'm sure is a terrible way to go into a CB.

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am

itbdvorm wrote:
J. D. wrote:Given the option of selecting a mid-sized NLJ-firm vs a fortune 200 company and all things being similar (ala pay, location, etc.) what are the notable differences?
there are enormous differences......
Can you elaberate? Or at least point out a couple of the differences? Many thanks.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:57 am

This is a personal question.
Do you sometimes regret being a lawyer? Or maybe sometime think you should of chosen a more creative job (like a writer or a businessman)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 am

roranoa wrote:a more creative job (like a writer or a businessman)?
LOLOLOLOL

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:a more creative job (like a writer or a businessman)?
LOLOLOLOL
Not so creative as I imagine?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm

I had a callback that went reasonably well, but when I interviewed with the head of the office (satellite of big firm) I feel I could have given better answers to some questions asked.

Is there anything I can do now to improve my chances, or to correct my answer?

Thank you

6lehderjets

Bronze

Post by 6lehderjets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I posted this in HLS marginal candidate guide, but I'd get your imput as well.

Since mass mail is such a crap shoot and quantity is crucial, what are your thoughts on just emailing a resume, transcript, and writing sample? And just putting in your email that a cover letter is available on request.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”