V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for perpetually answering questions in here. I'm a 3L heading to a V15 after graduation. Ideally, I'd like to go solo one day. Do you think after 3-4 years of biglaw lit I'd have the know-how to go solo? I'm afraid that after three years in biglaw I'll still have no idea how to do basics like depositions or drafting discovery requests, much less actual trial work.

Any other practice areas I should consider for making a biglaw to solo transition?

Do you know anyone who went straight from biglaw to solo?
really don't know many folks who have gone solo. why do you want to go solo? seems an odd ambition.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:because a few people have been asking me privately, let me know if you'd like me to weigh in on decisions (publicly or privately). will give thoughts to the extent i know.
Quinn vs. Boies? I want to have at least a chance at international work and am interested in a practice group Quinn might be expanding, but those bonuses could pay off my loans 3 times as fast.
i don't think quinn is a good place to be a jr associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 am

How do you feel about smaller New York branches of DC firms? For example, WilmerHale, Arnold & Porter, or Covington-- how much does that name brand value carry over?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you feel about smaller New York branches of DC firms? For example, WilmerHale, Arnold & Porter, or Covington-- how much does that name brand value carry over?
I vaguely remembered OP talking about Covington at one point, so I went back and found what he said:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Covington NY?
For Corporate, Covington seems to be small but very good. They won't do a ton of deals given their size but they seem to be a very nice team and I think people are reasonably happy there. I don't think you'd be making a bad choice by going there (unless your sole goal was to go do lev fin / i-banking, in which case Cahill's your spot)
I am interested in a more specific response to your question, though, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for perpetually answering questions in here. I'm a 3L heading to a V15 after graduation. Ideally, I'd like to go solo one day. Do you think after 3-4 years of biglaw lit I'd have the know-how to go solo? I'm afraid that after three years in biglaw I'll still have no idea how to do basics like depositions or drafting discovery requests, much less actual trial work.

Any other practice areas I should consider for making a biglaw to solo transition?

Do you know anyone who went straight from biglaw to solo?
really don't know many folks who have gone solo. why do you want to go solo? seems an odd ambition.
Always wanted to run my own business and I like the idea of building my own firm and hopefully growing it one day. I'm only really happy in entrepreneurial endeavors. I see biglaw as a pit stop along the way to pay down debt, hopefully get experience and a professional network, and get start up capital. I just don't know if biglaw will provide me with the right skill set.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S1mm

New

Post by S1mm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 am

I just posted a question on top-law (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=194385), but I wanted to direct it to you. To summarize: Allen & Overy vs. Milbank? Both NYC. Thanks.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you feel about smaller New York branches of DC firms? For example, WilmerHale, Arnold & Porter, or Covington-- how much does that name brand value carry over?
I vaguely remembered OP talking about Covington at one point, so I went back and found what he said:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on Covington NY?
For Corporate, Covington seems to be small but very good. They won't do a ton of deals given their size but they seem to be a very nice team and I think people are reasonably happy there. I don't think you'd be making a bad choice by going there (unless your sole goal was to go do lev fin / i-banking, in which case Cahill's your spot)
I am interested in a more specific response to your question, though, too.
all fine firms. not as well regarded in NY as in DC?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 pm

S1mm wrote:I just posted a question on top-law (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=194385), but I wanted to direct it to you. To summarize: Allen & Overy vs. Milbank? Both NYC. Thanks.
knowing nothing else...prob milbank I guess?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks again for answering questions.

If my ultimate goal is to be a GC for a tech/emerging company, what kind of firm setting will give me the best skill set/experience: NYC biglaw, Regional biglaw, or full service IP boutique? For the biglaw options I would probably choose general corporate or M&A.

Also would it be possible to get to a GC role if starting in bankruptcy/restructuring?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again for answering questions.

If my ultimate goal is to be a GC for a tech/emerging company, what kind of firm setting will give me the best skill set/experience: NYC biglaw, Regional biglaw, or full service IP boutique? For the biglaw options I would probably choose general corporate or M&A.

Also would it be possible to get to a GC role if starting in bankruptcy/restructuring?
I'm not OP, just a mere 2L, but if you want to work for a tech/emerging company I think working for the Valley firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson, Fenwick) would be a good idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:because a few people have been asking me privately, let me know if you'd like me to weigh in on decisions (publicly or privately). will give thoughts to the extent i know.
Quinn vs. Boies? I want to have at least a chance at international work and am interested in a practice group Quinn might be expanding, but those bonuses could pay off my loans 3 times as fast.
Why not, and why worse than Boies or any other place with crazy hours (e.g. Cravath)? Sounds like at least juniors at Quinn get to do real work before they burn out.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why not, and why worse than Boies or any other place with crazy hours (e.g. Cravath)? Sounds like at least juniors at Quinn get to do real work before they burn out.
From what I have heard from someone who worked there in NYC, that is more something they tell you to get you to come there than a reality. You will get to do some so-called "real" work at all firms, but Quinn associates do not do a disproportionately large amount compared to other firms, according to this person. Perhaps it is different at Quinn in other markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Any thoughts on Milbank v Sullivan & Cromwell for litigation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Milbank v Sullivan & Cromwell for litigation?
Which office?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why not, and why worse than Boies or any other place with crazy hours (e.g. Cravath)? Sounds like at least juniors at Quinn get to do real work before they burn out.
Which office for QE? And which one for BSF? For both firms, unlike some other bigger ones, office location really matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:59 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Milbank v Sullivan & Cromwell for litigation?
Which office?
NYC for both.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Which office?
NYC for both.
Go to S&C.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Which office?
NYC for both.
Go to S&C.
I'm a little concerned about the rumors of S&C being not such a nice place to work. Not too worried about only being able to stay a few years as I've heard exit options are great, but a little worried about it being a bad environment to work in.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:25 am

anon168 wrote:
Which office?
Anon168, in your opinion, how does one become a good lawyer? Any tips?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks again for answering questions.

I'm not OP, just a mere 2L, but if you want to work for a tech/emerging company I think working for the Valley firms (Cooley, WSGR, Gunderson, Fenwick) would be a good idea.
that sounds right. or NY firms, corporate M&A generally. corporate means much more than IP in this context, unless IP boutique specializes in emerging companies (different than "IP")

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm a little concerned about the rumors of S&C being not such a nice place to work. Not too worried about only being able to stay a few years as I've heard exit options are great, but a little worried about it being a bad environment to work in.
Milbank's no picnic either. And name value/exit options will be night and day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:31 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why not, and why worse than Boies or any other place with crazy hours (e.g. Cravath)? Sounds like at least juniors at Quinn get to do real work before they burn out.
From what I have heard from someone who worked there in NYC, that is more something they tell you to get you to come there than a reality. You will get to do some so-called "real" work at all firms, but Quinn associates do not do a disproportionately large amount compared to other firms, according to this person. Perhaps it is different at Quinn in other markets.
Sounds like according to whom?

Seriously - I've heard absolute nightmare stories about being a junior at Quinn. Maybe it's different if you're an identified superstar, but from what people have told me I would recommend against it. No inside knowledge, just second-hand sources.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 pm

What do you think for S&C, DPW, or PW? All NYC. I'd say I'm 90% leaning lit, but I could imagine experiencing more corporate work in the summer and deciding I like that more. I know that PW has a better rep for lit, but I can't imagine that that will matter that much for me in my first 3-4 years in the firm. (I don't plan on staying longer than that). Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:14 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Quinn vs. Boies? I want to have at least a chance at international work and am interested in a practice group Quinn might be expanding, but those bonuses could pay off my loans 3 times as fast.
Which office for QE? And which one for BSF? For both firms, unlike some other bigger ones, office location really matters.
NY.

Everyone says Quinn is a shitty place to work, but no one ever explains why it's shittier than Cravath, S&C, other sweatshops that pay lower bonuses and don't let you wear yoga pants when you're cranking out memos at 3am. Seriously, is there any actual reason for not choosing Quinn over peer firms/litigation depart,ents based on associate quality of life? or are y'all just jealous you can't wear flip flops to your V15?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:18 pm

roranoa wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Which office?
Anon168, in your opinion, how does one become a good lawyer? Any tips?
I don't mean to be pedantic, but what do you mean by "good lawyer"? And what kind of lawyer -- corp., lit., prosecutor, etc.?

And when you say "good lawyer" do you mean good lawyer in the absolute sense, like how do I become the next Clarence Darrow? or David Boies?

Or do you mean how do I become a good lawyer in biglaw? Or more precisely, how does one become a good associate at a law firm?

Those are two very different things.

If we were to use Venn Diagrams, there might be some intersection but less than you might think.

PM if you want, but otherwise clarify your Q and I'd be happy to help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”