V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have you hired a staff attorney working at your firm to full time associate? If so, why?
Not to my knowledge

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does your firm easily accommodate summers who want to split the summer intra-firm with the NYC office and their home market office, or do they need to have a good reason? Do you have any knowledge on the other V15s?
Really depends on a few different circumstances. Definitely splits are not uncommon at most firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you hired a staff attorney working at your firm to full time associate? If so, why?
I am not OP or a partner but a fellow associate in my office went from staff attorney to full time. It was before I joined the firm, but if I had to guess, the reason was that he knows more about his area of specialty -- a particularly arcane and busy one -- than anyone in the office including the partners. He is formally a mid-level now (although he is out of school longer than most) and he is the go-to associate for an important partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 pm

What are your thoughts on applicants who apply via a legal recruiter? How big a consideration are the recruiter's fees when comparing against an applicant who applied via the firm's website? Just as a hypothetical, assume you have two applicants, one of whom applied via a legal recruiter whom you really liked, and another who applied without a recruiter who you also liked, but not as much. Which candidate would your firm generally take in that situation?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are your thoughts on applicants who apply via a legal recruiter? How big a consideration are the recruiter's fees when comparing against an applicant who applied via the firm's website? Just as a hypothetical, assume you have two applicants, one of whom applied via a legal recruiter whom you really liked, and another who applied without a recruiter who you also liked, but not as much. Which candidate would your firm generally take in that situation?
The legal recruiter isn't going to stop us from hiring the candidate we're excited about. It might make us vaguely less likely to hire someone we're on the fence with

We're rarely looking for one candidate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

peter2009

New

Post by peter2009 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:24 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are your thoughts on applicants who apply via a legal recruiter? How big a consideration are the recruiter's fees when comparing against an applicant who applied via the firm's website? Just as a hypothetical, assume you have two applicants, one of whom applied via a legal recruiter whom you really liked, and another who applied without a recruiter who you also liked, but not as much. Which candidate would your firm generally take in that situation?
The legal recruiter isn't going to stop us from hiring the candidate we're excited about. It might make us vaguely less likely to hire someone we're on the fence with

A related question: Do you think legal recruiters are worthwhile or is it better to apply without one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:40 am

How do you look at lateral applicants several years out, say with work experience matching or exceeding your criteria for X position, but with average law school credentials (secondary journal, around middle of the class rank, T2)? Never mind this question if you don't also assess lateral hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:50 am

Can equity partners hire whoever they want?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:58 am

This might be difficult to answer but...

Provided I had the qualifications to receive an offer at a biglaw firm in the first place, would it be feasible to lateral (or get interviews at least) into biglaw after one year of experience working for a solo practitioner (if it makes any difference, he/she is an HYS grad who worked at a highly regarded biglaw firm/boutique for 10 years)?

I don't really know how to compare my experience to that of other associates so what would you be looking for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:08 am

For a junior just starting in an M&A group: do you think it's a good idea to get staffed on a deal representing the financial advisors? It doesn't seem like much relative to representing the buyer or seller, but negotiating however much on an engagement letter and helping prepare bankers to present before an Opinion Committee or whatever it might be seems like it might be a good way to get some client-facing experience.

As a caveat, I've done nothing yet, so anything's good training. Wondering if I should push to get staffed on one of these, though, versus representing a strategic in an acquisition. Any upsides to financial-advisor work? If I do end up on a deal like this, what should I be trying to get out of it as a junior?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:33 am

peter2009 wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

A related question: Do you think legal recruiters are worthwhile or is it better to apply without one?
Depends on the circumstance...but if you want to apply to a specific firm that makes sense for you, a legal recruiter is rarely helpful

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you look at lateral applicants several years out, say with work experience matching or exceeding your criteria for X position, but with average law school credentials (secondary journal, around middle of the class rank, T2)? Never mind this question if you don't also assess lateral hires.
How do I prove that they have work experience matching or exceeding my criteria?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can equity partners hire whoever they want?
Sometimes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:This might be difficult to answer but...

Provided I had the qualifications to receive an offer at a biglaw firm in the first place, would it be feasible to lateral (or get interviews at least) into biglaw after one year of experience working for a solo practitioner (if it makes any difference, he/she is an HYS grad who worked at a highly regarded biglaw firm/boutique for 10 years)?

I don't really know how to compare my experience to that of other associates so what would you be looking for?
Feasible, sure...but you need a convincing story and this is a wacky path.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:For a junior just starting in an M&A group: do you think it's a good idea to get staffed on a deal representing the financial advisors? It doesn't seem like much relative to representing the buyer or seller, but negotiating however much on an engagement letter and helping prepare bankers to present before an Opinion Committee or whatever it might be seems like it might be a good way to get some client-facing experience.

As a caveat, I've done nothing yet, so anything's good training. Wondering if I should push to get staffed on one of these, though, versus representing a strategic in an acquisition. Any upsides to financial-advisor work? If I do end up on a deal like this, what should I be trying to get out of it as a junior?
"Good" idea - not really. these matters are pretty silly, and I would be somewhat surprised if you got any client-facing experience given the nuance of the questions here

If you're on one, I would do your best to read the books and docs cover to cover and try to figure out what's happening and why (difficult, because you'll be a step removed from negotiations, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:44 am

I have the opportunity to volunteer with one of the campaigns to do voter protection with other lawyers in a nearby swing state. This would involve being away from the office on Election Day. As an incoming associate, is this something that the firm would allow me to do? Is it worth asking about this, or will that rub them the wrong way? I realize most firms don't give pro bono credit for political activities so it wouldn't even be pro bono. Thanks!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have the opportunity to volunteer with one of the campaigns to do voter protection with other lawyers in a nearby swing state. This would involve being away from the office on Election Day. As an incoming associate, is this something that the firm would allow me to do? Is it worth asking about this, or will that rub them the wrong way? I realize most firms don't give pro bono credit for political activities so it wouldn't even be pro bono. Thanks!
Won't be a plus in their book, but won't hurt that much if you do it once.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Do you like it when a candidate brings up a case/deal that they have seen on your profile? if so, how can a candidate pull this off without making it apparent they looked you up--and if it is apparent they looked you up, how do you perceive that? (Good/bad?)
Last edited by habeas2210 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Is it silly to reapply at a firm that dinged you 2 weeks ago? The firm just reposted a job that I interviewed for about 2 months ago. They have one recruiter for multiple offices and he probably remembers me by now if I apply again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 am

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This might be difficult to answer but...

Feasible, sure...but you need a convincing story and this is a wacky path.
Really appreciate your answer.

Ah I see.
Basically I struck out at OCI due to various reasons, including poor bidding/interviewing. Drastically improved interviewing skills but a little too late. Couldn't find a job post-grad for decent transactional work. Family friend does solo startup/VC corp work and offered to take me in and seemed like a good opportunity to get my hands dirty and learn one-on-one in an area I'm interested in. Great training so far but was wondering what my options are.

Hopefully this isn't too wacky. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 pm

How does management determine which incoming associates get their top choice of practice group/rotation? If there are 100 incoming associates in a class and 80 of them want M&A, how does the firm decide which associates get their top choice and which are shunted off into Credit or Capital Markets? Is it lottery based? If not, what qualities/accomplishments does the firm look at? School, grades, work done during the summer?

The firm i'm going to next summer is top notch at the practice i'm interested in, but i hear it can be difficult to break into. Just wondering how these decisions are made in a general sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Would it be crazy to take Schulte over multiple V20s? Interested in fund work, but also worried about prestige/perception and how they may affect my options down the line.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:32 pm

I have been working at a firm for a month and have interviews lined up. I am looking to switch because hours are market but the pay is half and I also have out of pocket costs to work here. I am still a junior who quit about 2 months ago before getting this new gig a month ago. When interviewing, Is it better to act like I am still looking for a job (for 1.5 months) or can I tell them I have been working at a firm for a month? If the latter, what can I say that wont make me look like a job hopper? Thank you for your help.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:41 pm

What are your thoughts on corporate attorneys providing business advice and strategy along with the legal work on an acquisition? Presuming, of course, that the attorney is senior enough and tuned in enough to business matters to actually know what they are talking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:57 pm

any thoughts on Kramer Levin?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”