V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V15 Senior Associate/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T10 school as well. I sent an email to a partner at a firm I'm interested in, and he responded with an offer to chat over coffee or lunch. I responded stating my interest, but have not heard back from him in over 24 hours. Should I assume he is busy, or should I assume he is no longer interested?
How is this a serious question? He's busy. Calm down.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 pm

potted plant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T10 school as well. I sent an email to a partner at a firm I'm interested in, and he responded with an offer to chat over coffee or lunch. I responded stating my interest, but have not heard back from him in over 24 hours. Should I assume he is busy, or should I assume he is no longer interested?
I'm sure he loves you a lot. But he has to take care of his clients paying him a stack an hour. Can you give him a day?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 pm

manofjustice wrote:
potted plant wrote:
I'm sure he loves you a lot. But he has to take care of his clients paying him a stack an hour. Can you give him a day?
Pro-tip: when you say yes, tell him/her your availability (I'd love to chat. I'm available Monday afternoon, Wednesday morning, or any time Thursday)

Also, give him time. This isn't open heart surgery or a hostile takeover. There's plenty of time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 am

I have just transferred and will have a limited number of interviews slots to fill at my new school's OCI. Prior to transfer, I applied via website to a firm and was dinged by email. If I have the opportunity to use one of my limited interview slots on this firm at my new school's OCI, would it be worth it? I am extremely interested in this firm, but I don't know if firms are willing to reconsider a rejection that was based on Cover Letter/Resume/Prior school.

This firm is very international, and that is why I am interested. I have transferred precisely because of my interest in focusing on international law. The firm does not recruit at my old school and obviously recruits actively at the new school. All of these factors make me wonder if it is possible to overcome the prior rejection. That being said, I don't want to waste limited interview slots if their decision is definitely final. Thanks for any input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:52 pm

T30 school, just below top third, so everything I can do to help matters

For my writing sample, I did not have anything at my summer position that will work. It's just not the type of job that would create a good writing sample. Should I use something from my 1L writing class (or moot court, which is the latest writing), even though my writing has improved since the last non-moot court writing, or try to write something new?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:37 pm

What is a good answer to the "Why did you transfer?" question in OCI screeners? The truth is I took a very conceited gamble and attended a low T1 school with a great scholarship, knowing that I'd be at the top of my class and could transfer out in order to save money.

I've had one interview so far via a job fair and the question came up. I talked about always striving to better myself, wanting better job prospects, transferring for better class selections since my resume clearly screams business finance but my prior school is largely international law and public interest focuses....yada yada yada. Does that answer sound too cheesy? What good responses do you normally hear from transfers? This answer is true in part, but I'm pretty sure the real truth will leave interviewers hating me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:41 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Can you give some examples of common bad answers to "why law?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Do you ever interview someone with high grades and come away with the impression that they're not as smart as their grades suggest?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you ever interview someone with high grades and come away with the impression that they're not as smart as their grades suggest?
This has been answered earlier ITT.

ETA: accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I am not sure if this has been discussed already but are you involved at all with 3L hiring at your firm? If so would you say your GPA cutoffs are the same? Or are they less stringent because you have a more immediate need? So far this OCI season I have gotten the attention of firms who completely ignored me during 2L OCI. I raised my GPA by .06 (but still below what I believe to be the cutoffs) and I interned with biggov this summer, but other than that I am essentially the same on paper. Wondering if 3L hiring focuses less on things like GPA. I am sure this will vary from firm to firm but I wanted to get your perspective. Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am not sure if this has been discussed already but are you involved at all with 3L hiring at your firm? If so would you say your GPA cutoffs are the same? Or are they less stringent because you have a more immediate need? So far this OCI season I have gotten the attention of firms who completely ignored me during 2L OCI. I raised my GPA by .06 (but still below what I believe to be the cutoffs) and I interned with biggov this summer, but other than that I am essentially the same on paper. Wondering if 3L hiring focuses less on things like GPA. I am sure this will vary from firm to firm but I wanted to get your perspective. Thanks
all depends on how the firm did 2L year and what they project their needs as. but, in general, standards are same/higher

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How should I handle a LOR? I received a LOR from the Judge I'm clerking for. Specifically, their spouse is a senior partner at a firm I would love to work at. Any advice on this would be great.
ask the judge to pass along to spouse
OP

What about at other firms? For instance, how would you feel after an interview if the interviewee said "I have a LOR from Justice Joe Blow I would love for you to look at."

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How should I handle a LOR? I received a LOR from the Judge I'm clerking for. Specifically, their spouse is a senior partner at a firm I would love to work at. Any advice on this would be great.
ask the judge to pass along to spouse
OP

What about at other firms? For instance, how would you feel after an interview if the interviewee said "I have a LOR from Justice Joe Blow I would love for you to look at."
not worth it. it's on your resume. if it's an impressive achievement it'll speak for itself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:37 pm

From your experience, do you think taking several days to respond to a callback request cost somebody an offer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:From your experience, do you think taking several days to respond to a callback request cost somebody an offer?
no...but it could lead to a delay in scheduling it, and thus being behind the 8-ball in terms of having a better chance at an offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am

In your estimation, what are the odds of me finding a position through 3L OCI or job fairs? You've referenced wanting "exceptional" candidates...

Top 15% MVB, LR and a secondary, WE before law school. 2 summer SAs, but at public interest firms. I didn't go after OCI as a 2L, nor did I bomb out this summer and get no offered--I took the job knowing they don't extend them.

I have a decent explanation on why the change.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:In your estimation, what are the odds of me finding a position through 3L OCI or job fairs? You've referenced wanting "exceptional" candidates...

Top 15% MVB, LR and a secondary, WE before law school. 2 summer SAs, but at public interest firms. I didn't go after OCI as a 2L, nor did I bomb out this summer and get no offered--I took the job knowing they don't extend them.

I have a decent explanation on why the change.
too early to tell for sure. there's a chance but no guarantees

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:53 am

My OCS keeps telling me to bring the interviewer back on track if we get off topic or talk about my interests section for too long.

I generally like to go at the pace of the interviewer and make a good connection, rather than try to squeeze in as many transferrable skills as possible.

I did this at a callback and had success, but should I take the same approach in screeners at OCI?

TL;DR Do you have to fill out a sheet with a rating of the candidate's skills (ie legal writing, project management, teamwork, etc.) and THEN check a box saying I'd like working with this person OR do you just recommend whether to bring them back for a callback or not?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My OCS keeps telling me to bring the interviewer back on track if we get off topic or talk about my interests section for too long.

I generally like to go at the pace of the interviewer and make a good connection, rather than try to squeeze in as many transferrable skills as possible.

I did this at a callback and had success, but should I take the same approach in screeners at OCI?

TL;DR Do you have to fill out a sheet with a rating of the candidate's skills (ie legal writing, project management, teamwork, etc.) and THEN check a box saying I'd like working with this person OR do you just recommend whether to bring them back for a callback or not?
Very hard to tell. That trail could be (a) the interviewer being bored, deciding you have no chance; (b) the interviewer having already decided to call you back; (c) the interviewer being really tired on interview # 7 of 15, etc.

I usually have a pretty good sense w/in 5 minutes of whether this kid has a chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My OCS keeps telling me to bring the interviewer back on track if we get off topic or talk about my interests section for too long.

Very hard to tell. That trail could be (a) the interviewer being bored, deciding you have no chance; (b) the interviewer having already decided to call you back; (c) the interviewer being really tired on interview # 7 of 15, etc.

I usually have a pretty good sense w/in 5 minutes of whether this kid has a chance.

Thanks for the response. Do you have a sheet that you fill out that includes your opinion on certain skills? Or do you just say yes callback or no callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

itbdvorm wrote:

If grades are good, I assume it just comes down to personality. What about someone's personality allows you to know so quickly whether or not that person has a shot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:54 pm

On scheduling callbacks:

I will be interviewing through OCI with some of my most desired firms this coming Monday. The soonest I would be able to go on a callback with any of them would be a full 2 weeks later (the first week i have OCI interviews every day. The second, my school's Law Review requires its new members to be around for orientation/training for the entire week).

Is this kind of gap between OCI screener and earliest possible CB date a possible detriment to my chances of receiving an offer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”