V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

Re: V15 Partner/OCI Interviewer Answering Questions...

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With a mind toward maybe exiting toward a client, do you think the pharmaceutical industry's a good set of companies to work for? As a junior associate currently in a public M&A practice, it seems exciting with strong, consistent deal flow. The people within it are large public companies used to dealing with lawyers on a steady stream of mergers and acquisitions. Should I try to be getting more of these deals?
Sure. Pharma continues to be very hot.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am sure this has already been answered, but at what point in your career did you know that you were tapped to be a partner? I guess the question is along the lines of, for those associates who spend 7-9 years at a firm how do you know that you are on the road to being a partner?
For me, I knew it was on the horizon very early if I stayed.

I think most people know what's possible from a relatively junior timeframe. But possible vs. likely vs. small chance is TBD as you grow

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know there is some stuff on TLS about this, but if I'm interested in doing M+A and PE work after law school and am doing that this summer, am I crazy to still want to do a clerkship? I know some firms have gotten rid of the clerkship bonus for people going into corporate (how could I figure out if the firm I'm at is one of them?) but this is something I shouldn't be talking about with people in the group, right?
Seriously. Talk to HR.
If that's what you really want to do, I would do it. Plenty of top corporate lawyers clerked.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As an interviewer, what info do you have on candidates that have already interviewed with the firm before but was rejected or declined an offer? Do you have access to previous interviewers' notes, whether they were recommended a callback/offer, etc.?
not at interview stage, yes at offer stage

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:55 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am sure this has already been answered, but at what point in your career did you know that you were tapped to be a partner? I guess the question is along the lines of, for those associates who spend 7-9 years at a firm how do you know that you are on the road to being a partner?

I think most people know what's possible from a relatively junior timeframe. But possible vs. likely vs. small chance is TBD as you grow

Thanks for answering. Could you expand on how it was communicated to you? Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:

Thanks for answering. Could you expand on how it was communicated to you? Thank you.
In the exact way you would expect a law firm to do it - with absolutely zero binding indication of anything.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:56 am

Did you have to go to a lot of dinner parties and schmooze before you made partner? Or did you not have to attend that many social events in the first place?

Also, have you ever been invited to your bosses home before you made partner?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 am

roranoa wrote:Did you have to go to a lot of dinner parties and schmooze before you made partner? Or did you not have to attend that many social events in the first place?

Also, have you ever been invited to your bosses home before you made partner?
"Have to", probably not. But I did, and I believe they help tremendously.

"Boss" is the wrong term. But I had been to the home of a number of partners beforehand.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:52 am

itbdvorm wrote:
"Have to", probably not. But I did, and I believe they help tremendously.
How does it help exactly? Can you gives an anecdote where your schmoozing benefited you?
"Boss" is the wrong term. But I had been to the home of a number of partners beforehand.

On what occasion do the partners invite you to their home?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:03 pm

roranoa, keep in mind that 0Ls aren't allowed to ask questions in the Legal Employment forum. Thanks.

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank you very much for your information!

Another question - if I have a 3.38 gpa (or something similar) and during a biglaw informational interview or introduction a partner asks for the GPA, is it fine to round up to 3.4, or should I say I have a 3.38 (assuming they will see the transcript in the future anyway)?

Thank you.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:04 pm

s1m4 wrote:Thank you very much for your information!

Another question - if I have a 3.38 gpa (or something similar) and during a biglaw informational interview or introduction a partner asks for the GPA, is it fine to round up to 3.4, or should I say I have a 3.38 (assuming they will see the transcript in the future anyway)?

Thank you.
It would be very unusual for a lawyer to ask "what is your GPA?" during a conversation. But in the unlikely event that you are asked this question, I think it's fine to say either "3.38" or "about 3.4"

New

Post by Offline » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Not really a question but just came in to say thank you. Feels good to know there are great people willing to help us rookies in the industry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Offline wrote:Not really a question but just came in to say thank you. Feels good to know there are great people willing to help us rookies in the industry.
Glad to be of help!

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:04 am

I have a somewhat checkered work history. Before law school I was a legal secretary for a year. After that, I joined a startup that I left after three months because it became clear that I was as a poor culture fit (I have a different take on the story, but that's the most neutral way of putting it) and was genuinely worried that they would make up cause to fire me if I stuck around. Then I worked as a paralegal for an IP firm for two years. The way I got that job was by leaving the startup off my resume.

Should I do the same now? What looks worse, a four month gap or a three month stint of employment followed by a month gap?

I did leave my first legal job to resolve some rather complicated family affairs which I expected to take months to resolve (verbatim, my explanation for the gap at the time I was applying for my second job), but that was a half truth as in reality those were wrapped up within a matter of a couple of weeks.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:27 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:I have a somewhat checkered work history. Before law school I was a legal secretary for a year. After that, I joined a startup that I left after three months because it became clear that I was as a poor culture fit (I have a different take on the story, but that's the most neutral way of putting it) and was genuinely worried that they would make up cause to fire me if I stuck around. Then I worked as a paralegal for an IP firm for two years. The way I got that job was by leaving the startup off my resume.

Should I do the same now? What looks worse, a four month gap or a three month stint of employment followed by a month gap?

I did leave my first legal job to resolve some rather complicated family affairs which I expected to take months to resolve (verbatim, my explanation for the gap at the time I was applying for my second job), but that was a half truth as in reality those were wrapped up within a matter of a couple of weeks.
Pre-law school I don't think it matters at all. I'd fudge with quarters or seasons if you think it's really noticeable.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:48 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:I have a somewhat checkered work history. Before law school I was a legal secretary for a year. After that, I joined a startup that I left after three months because it became clear that I was as a poor culture fit (I have a different take on the story, but that's the most neutral way of putting it) and was genuinely worried that they would make up cause to fire me if I stuck around. Then I worked as a paralegal for an IP firm for two years. The way I got that job was by leaving the startup off my resume.

Pre-law school I don't think it matters at all. I'd fudge with quarters or seasons if you think it's really noticeable.
Thank you for the advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:08 am

Do you know how a firm would feel about an applicant reneging on their SA firm to jump ship to a better firm at this point in the recruiting cycle?

Edit: both how the hiring firm would feel and how the firm getting reneged on would feel.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know how a firm would feel about an applicant reneging on their SA firm to jump ship to a better firm at this point in the recruiting cycle?

Edit: both how the hiring firm would feel and how the firm getting reneged on would feel.
Not great. But it's your life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:49 pm

I'll be an SA at a V10 in a major market this summer in the corporate/transactional group. I did a 1L SA at a large firm in a secondary market last summer and although I learned a lot, the deals I worked on there were far smaller and less complicated/noteworthy. I don't have a huge business background (poli sci undergrad) but I'm taking commercial transactions and other corporate focused classes during 2L, which seem to be helping me build my base awareness of business deals.

However, I want to make sure that I don't ever feel lost when working on a deal because I'm encountering a new business concept (i.e., leveraged buyout or hostile takeover). Most of the work I'll be doing at the V10 will be private equity work and I doubt I'll touch a public deal, if that information helps.

What's the best thing I should be doing to prepare myself to hit the ground running and make sure that my business acumen is where I need/want it to be?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be an SA at a V10 in a major market this summer in the corporate/transactional group. I did a 1L SA at a large firm in a secondary market last summer and although I learned a lot, the deals I worked on there were far smaller and less complicated/noteworthy. I don't have a huge business background (poli sci undergrad) but I'm taking commercial transactions and other corporate focused classes during 2L, which seem to be helping me build my base awareness of business deals.

However, I want to make sure that I don't ever feel lost when working on a deal because I'm encountering a new business concept (i.e., leveraged buyout or hostile takeover). Most of the work I'll be doing at the V10 will be private equity work and I doubt I'll touch a public deal, if that information helps.

What's the best thing I should be doing to prepare myself to hit the ground running and make sure that my business acumen is where I need/want it to be?
There's nothing you can do. You will 100% not know everything you'd like to know. Just have a good attitude and ask questions when appropriate. Also don't miss deadlines and attend social events, without gaining a reputation for being a weirdo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:24 am

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be an SA at a V10 in a major market this summer in the corporate/transactional group. I did a 1L SA at a large firm in a secondary market last summer and although I learned a lot, the deals I worked on there were far smaller and less complicated/noteworthy. I don't have a huge business background (poli sci undergrad) but I'm taking commercial transactions and other corporate focused classes during 2L, which seem to be helping me build my base awareness of business deals.

There's nothing you can do. You will 100% not know everything you'd like to know. Just have a good attitude and ask questions when appropriate. Also don't miss deadlines and attend social events, without gaining a reputation for being a weirdo.
All true. But you can try some reading beforehand.

Barbarians at the Gate is a must-read. Sure, they barely mention the lawyers, but an understanding of all the cool stuff happening above you helps.

I'd also start reading Dealbreaker and WSJ reasonably regularly. Maybe subscribe to Dealbook or PEwire (they're free) just to skim stuff. Or Matt Levine (Bloomberg)'s "Money Stuff". All useful, and when you don't understand something, look it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Hello. I went from a small firm to insurance defense biglaw firm after gaining 1 yr lit exp. This ID firm is not working out for me and I am looking for a way out. As a junior with 1 yr of lit exp, how can I minimize red/yellow flags for having 2 month of experience in this ID firm on my resume? What can I do to at least get a look beyond the short stint?

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello. I went from a small firm to insurance defense biglaw firm after gaining 1 yr lit exp. This ID firm is not working out for me and I am looking for a way out. As a junior with 1 yr of lit exp, how can I minimize red/yellow flags for having 2 month of experience in this ID firm on my resume? What can I do to at least get a look beyond the short stint?
Well, you can't. You should stick it out as long as you can...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello. I went from a small firm to insurance defense biglaw firm after gaining 1 yr lit exp. This ID firm is not working out for me and I am looking for a way out. As a junior with 1 yr of lit exp, how can I minimize red/yellow flags for having 2 month of experience in this ID firm on my resume? What can I do to at least get a look beyond the short stint?
Well, you can't. You should stick it out as long as you can...
I know I am making a drastic change so early on and it is ill advised. But it has to be done and I am trying to figure out how to minimize the damage or at least communicate that I am not a hopper. I have a 2 yr and 4 yr job pre-law to prove I am loyal.

Could I leave this firm out of my resume entirely? I might be able to reach out to my previous boss to do some contract work for him to keep the old firms name on my resume to close the 2 month gap.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”