Oil and Gas Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Oil and Gas Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous b/c my username is basically my name, and I would prefer my potential employers to know I know so little.

What exactly do "Oil & Gas" lawyers do? Is it basically haggling over property lines and title? Or is there more substance than that? I have an interview coming up and I was tipped off it would be helpful for this particular firm to be able to speak competently about the subject.

I tried searching, but didn't find any terribly informative threads.

Anonymous User

Re: Oil and Gas Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Depends. They could primarily advise commodities traders, they could primarily do environmental regulation work, they could deal with drilling regulations. But they probably do all of those things.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm

http://www.velaw.com/practices/EnergyLaw.aspx

Has a good drill down of what encompasses "oil and gas" law and what services a law firm would provide such companies. If you're at UT, I take it the firm is BakerBotts. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:45 pm

OP here: Not BB. I was told by an environmental lawyer that Environmental and O&G not the same thing, and that V&E page seemed awfully vague.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Here's a description of some oil and gas litigation: http://www.andrewskurth.com/practices-O ... putes.html

There's another link on the side for Oil and Gas transactions...

Return to “Legal Employment”