NYU EIW Callback Nonsense (Consolidated)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYU EIW Callback Nonsense (Consolidated)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:41 pm

STB snail mail ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Any fellow West Coasters hear from Cooley Palo Alto or Paul Hastings SF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Anyone hear of news from Wilson Sonsini NY? I know their class is pretty small but I felt really good about that one. Silence so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dewey ding by snail mail today.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Sitting out the hurricane and was going through some OCS documents in the library. The Callback interview FAQ sheet mentions some kind of "Callback and Offer Tracker", the details of which we'll be told post-EIW. I have no idea what this is. Did I miss an email or something? Anybody want to educate me?

Also, I didn't realize that we couldn't have more than 5 offers outstanding at one time. Guess that makes sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sitting out the hurricane and was going through some OCS documents in the library. The Callback interview FAQ sheet mentions some kind of "Callback and Offer Tracker", the details of which we'll be told post-EIW. I have no idea what this is. Did I miss an email or something? Anybody want to educate me?

Also, I didn't realize that we couldn't have more than 5 offers outstanding at one time. Guess that makes sense.

3L here. In about two-three weeks, OCS will post a survey on CSM. It's not tracking things in real time, it's just to get a sense of what's going on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any fellow West Coasters hear from Cooley Palo Alto or Paul Hastings SF?

+1 for the Cooley question - I don't think anyone has heard from them. Didn't apply to PH, so can't help there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Anyone gotten callbacks by snail mail only? I think my mail forwarding is fucked so I really hope I haven't missed anything other than dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone gotten callbacks by snail mail only? I think my mail forwarding is fucked so I really hope I haven't missed anything other than dings.

Fried Frank did this, but with a phone call as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 pm

2 callbacks, 3 dings, 24 silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I spoke to Career Services. They seemed pretty confident that silence just means you're in a hold pile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to Career Services. They seemed pretty confident that silence just means you're in a hold pile.

Hmm, I'm always skeptical about what they say since I feel like they try and sugercoat things, but I certainly hope they are sincere. There are a number of great firms I haven't heard from and I would kill for a CB.

Had two questions that perhaps some people could answer:

-For those invited to the Cadwalader reception tomorrow, any word on if its still on? No clue if mass transit will be running, though I think it will be given that the storm is winding down.

-For my fellow transfers, is there any news on the journal orientations tomorrow? I haven't gotten a journal call yet (and don't know if they even call people who aren't invited to journals), but I'd imagine a lack of mass transit would change the plans for these orientations

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone gotten callbacks by snail mail only? I think my mail forwarding is fucked so I really hope I haven't missed anything other than dings.

Interesting. I got a CB by phone from them last week but have yet to get a snail mail version.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting. I got a CB by phone from them last week but have yet to get a snail mail version.

I have gotten a phonecall, letter, and e-mail from my interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:-For my fellow transfers, is there any news on the journal orientations tomorrow? I haven't gotten a journal call yet (and don't know if they even call people who aren't invited to journals), but I'd imagine a lack of mass transit would change the plans for these orientations

FYI, the journal orientations tomorrow and Tuesday are for all new staff editors, not just transfers. I imagine whether they've been cancelled or not is journal-specific, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:-For my fellow transfers, is there any news on the journal orientations tomorrow? I haven't gotten a journal call yet (and don't know if they even call people who aren't invited to journals), but I'd imagine a lack of mass transit would change the plans for these orientations

FYI, the journal orientations tomorrow and Tuesday are for all new staff editors, not just transfers. I imagine whether they've been cancelled or not is journal-specific, though.

Ah ok. I'm still waiting to hear if I'm even on a journal (they told us transfers would find out on Sunday), but I'd imagine the weather might put this in jeopardy. But there doesn't seem to be any time to spare given that orientations are tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if they made calls pretty late tonight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to Career Services. They seemed pretty confident that silence just means you're in a hold pile.

Of course they do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Of course they do.

For the record, I just updated an interviewer from last week with some new info to add to my file that could help my candidacy, and the interview responded to thank me for the update and that he/she will pass it along and have it added to my file. Thus, even though its been a week, and this firm has made some calls, it seemed pretty clear that I wasn't an outright reject. Lends credence to the idea of a "hold" pile for those still in limbo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Of course they do.

For the record, I just updated an interviewer from last week with some new info to add to my file that could help my candidacy, and the interview responded to thank me for the update and that he/she will pass it along and have it added to my file. Thus, even though its been a week, and this firm has made some calls, it seemed pretty clear that I wasn't an outright reject. Lends credence to the idea of a "hold" pile for those still in limbo.

I did the same and got no response. So I'd take a response as a good sign!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 am

Ding from DC (Goodwin Proctor). Email delivery this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Anyone hear anything (good or bad) from Fitzpatrick?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Anyone else going to the Cadwalader NYU callback reception tonight? Since its a Mexican place, I'm guessing no one would be wearing a suit, so I'm thinking business casual. Just wanted to confirm based on what other people are doing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Just got a second ding from wtb. Obnoxious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Cozen O'Connor CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Just got a CB from Sidley NY. Yes, the same Sidley NY that interviewed on the first day of EIW and sent out callbacks a week and a half ago. So, late callbacks do happen, even with major NY firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”